• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ROG Phone 2 ROM to ASUS ROM (Tencent Version)

Search This thread

z3r0h

Jul 25, 2019
I know the phone has yet to release but what are the chances that the Tencent Version of ROG Phone 2 (8GB/128GB) able to flash to the stock ASUS ROG Phone 2 (12GB/512GB) version? Any ROM developers can answer?

asking here first before I plan to get the tencent version of the ROG Phone 2.

yakapa40

Apr 7, 2012
mont-de-marsan
hello
Tencent version is only for China : ro.build.display.id=PKQ1.190414.001.CN_Phone-16.0620.1906.18-0
Word Wide version is : ro.build.display.id=PKQ1.190414.001.WW_Phone-16.0620.1906.31-0
and you cannot flash a WW firmware on a CN device

OY3cnu9.png

regards

Reactions: Pointmanipo

yakapa40

Apr 7, 2012
mont-de-marsan
only working for some old zenfone devices :
you must flash a RAW firmware ( recovery.img inside ) with Asus Flash Tool.cmd
and at this time the only WW RAW firmware we have is without recovery.img

qx87Nfs.png

z3r0h

Jul 25, 2019

qx87Nfs.png

hi, thanks for replying. There's a few question i wanna ask..

What does the recovery.img file do?
looking at ASUS' history, do you think they gonna provide the recovery.img file?

yakapa40

Apr 7, 2012
mont-de-marsan
for old devices :
with recovery.img :
you can downgrade android version
you can reflash another SKU firmware
but since zenfone 5Q i never seen recovery.img in ASUS raw firmwares
exemple with zenfone 5Q ZC600KL recovery.img

YzVI2ST.png

92cQI0E.png

SKU :
SKU Stock Keeping Unit

CMCC China Mobile Communications Corporation
CTCC China Telecom
CUCC China Unicom

CN version: ChiNa
ID/IN/TH version: InDonesia INdia THailand
WW version: WordWide
US/BR version: United States BRazil
TW/JP/HK/SG/PH version:Taiwan JaPan Hong-Kong SinGapore PHilippines

regards

whyou

Jun 5, 2009
Beijing
Last edited:
Mod edit: Translation by Google Translate inserted.

The official website is a bit fascinating. The earliest 3499 and 5999 are different. I have deleted it today. The difference is "Gaming HDR and Mobile HDR are supported by a dedicated hardware display chip", and now I am confused by the deletion of this sentence.
Address here

官网有点迷,最早3499和5999是有区别的,今天再看已经删除了。区别内容为“Gaming HDR 和 Mobile HDR 由专用硬件显示芯片所支持”,现在这句话删除了我也一头雾水。
地址在这: https://www.asus.com.cn/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/Tech-Specs/

The info on asus website shows difference before. In the google cached webpage, it says " Gaming HDR and Mobile HDR is supported by dedicated graphic chip." And not it is deleted.
XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.
4.使用英語。
我們知道,對於所有不同國籍的人,不是每個人都說英語,但請嘗試。 如果您真的無法用英語發帖,請使用在線翻譯。 您可以使用自己的語言在英語翻譯下面添加原始信息。 (此規則涵蓋您的帖子,個人資料條目和簽名)。 您可以嘗試: - https://translate.google.com/或https://www.babelfish.com/或使用您選擇的一個。

Last edited:

hedgewizard

Apr 28, 2016
hello
Tencent version is only for China : ro.build.display.id=PKQ1.190414.001.CN_Phone-16.0620.1906.18-0
Word Wide version is : ro.build.display.id=PKQ1.190414.001.WW_Phone-16.0620.1906.31-0
and you cannot flash a WW firmware on a CN device

OY3cnu9.png

regards

is the 12gb/512gb available in china now also only tencent version? cannot change to stock android?

z3r0h

Jul 25, 2019

qx87Nfs.png

hey, i don't know if this would work but i've found this video from a forum that someone managed to flash an ASUS phone ROM from CN to WW version OR WW to CN version using this steps --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6qIvdK-TM

my question is if the device has different RAM and internal storage capacity, does it matter? or there needs to be more modification of the file in order to do so?

whyou

Jun 5, 2009
Beijing
hey, i don't know if this would work but i've found this video from a forum that someone managed to flash an ASUS phone ROM from CN to WW version OR WW to CN version using this steps --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6qIvdK-TM

my question is if the device has different RAM and internal storage capacity, does it matter? or there needs to be more modification of the file in order to do so?

IMO, no modification needed. For example:
Moto z3: Chinese version flash to verizon(us) version which memory and storage size are different, just flash all work fine.

Last edited:

z3r0h

Jul 25, 2019
IMO, no modification needed. For example:
Moto z3: Chinese version flash to verizon(us) version which memory and storage size are different, just flash all work fine.

let's just hope that's the case because this phone has no 8GB/128GB of the normal stock asus ROG phone 2 whereas the example you given has, still i'm crossing my fingers that you're right.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got the phone, it has Google play services embedded you only need to install the Google play store from the websites of the like Apkmirror and you are good to go.
    I don't think you need to install other region's rom even if that is possible in the future, the CN roms are the first to get updates and they do have more app features than the global one for instance call recording is already embedded.
    Hey, i m planning to upgrade from my 6t and i m still thinking between 1+7 pro or Rog 2. I m kinda confused. Can you tell more about your experience moving from the 7 pro to rog 2? Especially the screen since it is has higher resolution and the system difference feel?
    Thanks.

I like both phones after i rooted ROG2 because i can do more thing and i can run TitaniumBackup
    • Screen: i dont notice any difference between them at all (FHD vas QHD, 90Hz vs 120Hz). However, i got a touch lag, ghost touch sometime with 1+ . also the curve screen sometime will be the problem when the text is near the side screen (you will see it when you use the text editor). both phones are equal in the screen/ display in term of color or performance.
    • OS: smooth for both however i feel 1+ get hot quite faster than ROG2 :confused:. down side of ROG 2: we dont have twrp, kernel etc... so can not do more thing now beside root/ magisk.
    • Camera: 1+ 7 pro much much better. Rog2 is gaming phone so camera is just average. Gcam for Rog2 is not good atm.
    • Battery: 6k vs 4k. 10-12 SOT vs 4-6 SOT. Charging: 2h15 mins vs 1h:30 mins. i prefer ROG2 more than 1+ 7 pro here.
    4 days with ROG2 and 2.5 month with 1+7 pro.
    Any chance you can post a link here for those of us that don't read mandarin? Also, if there is a bootloader unlock and a global flash-all zip, we should be able to flash the WW version over CN. We don't actually need a recovery.img...

I was able to get to the bootloader unlock download, here you go:
    https://www.asus.com/tw/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Can somebody with the CN version try that bootloader unlock tool? If it works, we can definitely flash the WW firmware when asus puts it on their site. Whether it boots or not, well thats another issue. But I am going to give it a go when I have mine and they release the WW firmware.

Check back the thread. We unlock bl our tencent version, root it with magisk no problem so far. Waiting for ww rom.
    I am finalizing my order for the Tencent version, I have a quick question from Rog Tencent version owners.
    Can I install banking apps and certificates on CN rom, it should work if the phone has google playstore services. however, just to confirm, do I need to flash it to WW for that?

I have Play Store sideloaded on the stock/locked CN version, and my USA banking apps work correctly (bank check deposit, Robinhood) including fingerprint login. I haven't tried installing certificates.

qx87Nfs.png

If it is an A/B slot device, there isn't a recovery.img anymore.