General ROG Phone 5 Ultimate | New Firmware WW-18.0840.2109.188 | WW RAW & ROOT Images

Search This thread

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Model - ROG Phone 5 Ultimate (Possibly ROG Phone 5 as well see here )

2021/11/05

Version Name - WW-18.0840.2109.188
Release Date - 2021/11/05

OTA Download Link - Download
RAW Download Link - PENDING

Stock Boot Image - Download
Magisk Patched Boot Image - Download

Changelog
ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2109.188 for WW/JP/EU/RU only*

This firmware is only for ROG Phone 5 WW/JP/EU version use and not applicable to ROG Phone 5S/5S Pro series models.
Note: Please be patience it's normal when downloading status bar stop a while with large update package.

For WW SKU Improved Item:
1. Optimize the charging experience function

Steps of Update:
1. Check software version of your device**
2. Download device software and Update SOP (From “Manual” Item)
3. Only apply to same SKU update, Example: WW->WW, CN->CN, TW->TW.
4. Software update cannot transfer the software SKU and downgrade the software version.
5. Wrong SKU may cause update failure, please update the same SKU version only.

**How to know the device model?
Path: Settings->About-> Model number
Example: ASUS PadFone2

**How to know the device software version?
Path: Settings->About-> software information->Build number
Example: CHT_PadFone2-user-10.4.17.15-UpdateLauncher

**System upgrade may cause part of data missing, please back up your important data before system upgrading.

2021/08/24

Version Name - WW-18.0840.2107.151
Release Date - 2021/08/24

RAW Download Link - Download

Changelog

ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2107.151 for WW/JP/EU only*
Note: Please be patience it's normal when downloading status bar stop a while with large update package.

1.Updated Android security patch to 2021-07
2.Fixed issue with sending MMS messages on Optus Australia
3.Fixed an issue where some videos played through apps would get stuck and without response.
4.Fixed issue where AirTriggers would become insensitive after opening Taobao APP

For JP SKU Improved Item:
2.Fixed an issue where some videos played through apps would get stuck and without response.
3.Fixed issue where AirTriggers would become insensitive after opening Taobao APP

Steps of Update:
4. Software update cannot transfer the software SKU and downgrade the software version.

**System upgrade may cause part of data missing, please back up your important data before system upgrading.

*********************************************************************************************************************

2021/07/22

Version Name - WW18.0840.2106.86
Release Date - 2021/07/22

RAW Download Link - Waiting

Changelog

ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2106.86 for WW/JP/EU only*

Improved Item:
1. Updated Android security patch to 2021-06
2. Fixed an issue where the game would crash when using multiple windows to open the settings and change the system navigation
3. Fixed the problem of broken sound when using screen recording
4. Fixed the problem of low notification sound when using Bluetooth headsets in standby mode
5. Fixed an issue where blocking notifications in the game could not block Facebook messenger notifications
6. Fixed the problem of reduced call volume
7. Fixed the problem of using a microphone to record the voice of a team in the game, and the problem of not being able to record your own voice
8. Fixed the problem that the 5G network cannot be detected when connected to the GT-AX11000 router
9. Fixed a serious delay in the screen when entering the game with Geforce Now
10. Optimize touch experience
11. Fix sound effect for speaker playback.

Steps of Update:

Last edited:

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Wouldn't it also be the same then?

Not really, Once you install an OTA, The Active boot partition switches to the opposite one to boot the new firmware.
If you have Root + TWRP, I find this messy because then you have to manually patch the boot images, and it is usually after a few bootloops and softbricks. There is an option in Magisk, Install to inactive slot. That doesn't work always, at least during my ROG II and ROG III days.

Good thing about the RAW files, They do a clean install without wiping, and you can set it up easily afterwards with the usual magisk and patch steps without losing userdata. For a firmware upgrade I always prefer Raw files.

I actually found a RAW file from a usual source I used to get these, But surprisingly this version is not available in the ASUS site. Its about 3 digits below the current one.

WW_ZS673KS_18.0840.2106.83_M3.13.24.40-ASUS_1.1.92_Phone-user.raw | Download

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Well... I can at least take some of your worries... OTAs won't be a thing after you unlocked your bootloader. You need to manually install them via magisk again. So there is no chance these automatic updates will break your phone.

Furthermore you don't have to worry about root + TWRP as well because there is no twrp for this phone and I doubt there will be one in the next time.

But applying updates and keeping root access without loosing your user data should be no problem. Magisk has special options for this and many people here update that way without bootloops and soft bricks.

Not really, Once you install an OTA, The Active boot partition switches to the opposite one to boot the new firmware.
If you have Root + TWRP, I find this messy because then you have to manually patch the boot images, and it is usually after a few bootloops and softbricks. There is an option in Magisk, Install to inactive slot. That doesn't work always, at least during my ROG II and ROG III days.

Good thing about the RAW files, They do a clean install without wiping, and you can set it up easily afterwards with the usual magisk and patch steps without losing userdata. For a firmware upgrade I always prefer Raw files.

I actually found a RAW file from a usual source I used to get these, But surprisingly this version is not available in the ASUS site. Its about 3 digits below the current one.

WW_ZS673KS_18.0840.2106.83_M3.13.24.40-ASUS_1.1.92_Phone-user.raw | Download
I think you completely misunderstood my comment. I was saying that if the firmware for both models is the same, it is likely the raw files for both are the same (but still separate from the firmware).

In addition to what was already pointed out above, you have things backwards. The RAW firmware is intended to be a low-level rebuild. The regular firmware is not an incremental (which I assume is what you were thinking) and comes will a full firmware image every time.

Edit: The version from this thread now includes a separate flash_raw and flash_raw_and_wipe command.

Last edited:

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I think you completely misunderstood my comment, but I am sure someone new will appreciate the explanation (with a few corrections).

In addition to what was already pointed out above, you have things backwards. The RAW firmware is intended to wipe your data, while the regular firmware upgrades are not. The regular firmware is not an incremental (which I assume is what you were thinking) and comes will a full firmware image every time.

RAW never wipes data. I've done it for almost 2 years in my ROG II.
That's how I usually update my firmware.

Unless something is changed in ROG 5 ... If yes, Then I'm wrong.
I'm yet to test all these anyway, Since unit is still on the way.

RAW never wipes data. I've done it for almost 2 years in my ROG II.
That's how I usually update my firmware.

Unless something is changed in ROG 5 ... If yes, Then I'm wrong.
I'm yet to test all these anyway, Since unit is still on the way.

Then apparently it has changed. I didn't have a ROG II, but I have the ROG 5 in hand. I couldn't tell you what has changed, though.

You can, however, opt out of the erase. Not sure if you have to convert the raw to images first, though. I think that would be the method you used in previous phones. It was a flash_all script (or command, if you were on Windows).

Edit: The version from this thread now includes a separate flash_raw and flash_raw_and_wipe command.

Last edited:

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Then apparently it has changed. I didn't have a ROG II, but I actually have my ROG 5. Couldn't tell you what else has changed.

You can, however, opt out of the erase. Not sure if you have to convert the raw to images first, though. I think that would be the method you used in previous phones. It was a flash_all script (or command, if you were on Windows).

Ohh .. In that case I was super wrong, and apologies over my misinformation.

Yeah, Actually ROG II Raw files had a Flash-all file which installs the full firmware, and reboots.
I even had a source (A Persian website) to get these when the OTA releases.
I was on windows, and usually after a RAW installation, the cache (Art or Dalvik, Whatever it is we have now) gets cleared and Phone becomes a little bit snappier than it was before.

Guess we gotta stick to ASUS OTA files from the support site then.
Thanks a lot ! : )

These updates come with a flash_raw script that looks more or less harmless. There is no visible wipe command included, but the phone did appear wiped after installing.

The flash_all, on the other hand, has a rather obvious section to opt in or out of an erase that opting out on Linux and Windows. I think the wipe isn't as much a wipe as it overwrites the partition.

I typically install my firmware with fastboot using a slightly modified version of the flash_all script and an unpacked payload. Somehow I broke the installer, which gives me a chance to test the raw again.

Last edited:
I thought that rumor died long ago. Usually unless things go wrong clearing the cache should not make your phone faster.

It's like closing all apps/recents after each usage in order to boost the performance.
I think Art broke that. If I remember the explanation, the idea was to create something like the old odex layout that was less sloppy. The code that used to be cached is now broken out into a physical file alongside the application. It's also how apps like *that one everyone remembers for IAP* are able to modify code without breaking signatures.

Reactions: Anubarak16

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Successfully rooted using the same commands from here and the root images in the OP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-020559177.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-020559177.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20210819-014217972.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-014217972.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Any word on the raw firmware? What about the existing boot images?

The RAW firmware I shared earlier - I didn't test it since it's a downgrade.
If the current firmware gets a RAW release, I will definitely test it.

Currently I patched only Boot Slot_A and booted to system using A. (using the same patched image I updated in OP)
Since there is no TWRP, I dont want to manually patch A and B both.

Magisk is stable, Didnt pass SafetyNet - So might need a module for that.

The RAW firmware I shared earlier - I didn't test it since it's a downgrade.
If the current firmware gets a RAW release, I will definitely test it.

Currently I patched only Boot Slot_A and booted to system using A. (using the same patched image I updated in OP)
Since there is no TWRP, I dont want to manually patch A and B both.

Magisk is stable, Didnt pass SafetyNet - So might need a module for that.

You do need a module. It's posted in one of the root threads. I guess we won't know if you need different boot images until someone tests, but at least you seem to be comfortable patching your own.

Last edited:
Patching own images are always reliable...

SafetyNet Passed with this fix !

Glad you found it. Good luck.

I flashed the raw firmware. It was a downgrade and my device was already set up and in use, but it included the scripts and commands to install without a wipe (finally). Moving the latest firmware to the sdcard allowed me to update almost immediately after finishing the flash.

I would assume it works on the Ultimate, since everything else has been identical and the date on that package is the same as the software image.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Model - ROG Phone 5 Ultimate (Possibly ROG Phone 5 as well see here )

2021/11/05

Version Name - WW-18.0840.2109.188
    Release Date - 2021/11/05

RAW Download Link - PENDING

Changelog
    ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2109.188 for WW/JP/EU/RU only*

This firmware is only for ROG Phone 5 WW/JP/EU version use and not applicable to ROG Phone 5S/5S Pro series models.

1. Optimize the charging experience function

Steps of Update:

2021/08/24

Version Name - WW-18.0840.2107.151
    Release Date - 2021/08/24

RAW Download Link - Download

Changelog

ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2107.151 for WW/JP/EU only*

2.Fixed issue with sending MMS messages on Optus Australia
    3.Fixed an issue where some videos played through apps would get stuck and without response.
    4.Fixed issue where AirTriggers would become insensitive after opening Taobao APP

For JP SKU Improved Item:
    2.Fixed an issue where some videos played through apps would get stuck and without response.
    3.Fixed issue where AirTriggers would become insensitive after opening Taobao APP

Steps of Update:

*********************************************************************************************************************

2021/07/22

Version Name - WW18.0840.2106.86
    Release Date - 2021/07/22

RAW Download Link - Waiting

Changelog

ROG Phone 5 (ZS673KS) software Image:WW-18.0840.2106.86 for WW/JP/EU only*

Improved Item:
    1. Updated Android security patch to 2021-06
    2. Fixed an issue where the game would crash when using multiple windows to open the settings and change the system navigation
    3. Fixed the problem of broken sound when using screen recording
    4. Fixed the problem of low notification sound when using Bluetooth headsets in standby mode
    5. Fixed an issue where blocking notifications in the game could not block Facebook messenger notifications
    6. Fixed the problem of reduced call volume
    7. Fixed the problem of using a microphone to record the voice of a team in the game, and the problem of not being able to record your own voice
    8. Fixed the problem that the 5G network cannot be detected when connected to the GT-AX11000 router
    9. Fixed a serious delay in the screen when entering the game with Geforce Now
    10. Optimize touch experience
    11. Fix sound effect for speaker playback.

Steps of Update:

Thanks, all worked well.
    Thread Updated for the new firmware - Version WW-18.0840.2109.188
    The cache (Art or Dalvik, Whatever it is we have now) gets cleared and Phone becomes a little bit snappier than it was before
    I thought that rumor died long ago. Usually unless things go wrong clearing the cache should not make your phone faster.

It's like closing all apps/recents after each usage in order to boost the performance.

I think Art broke that. If I remember the explanation, the idea was to create something like the old odex layout that was less sloppy. The code that used to be cached is now broken out into a physical file alongside the application. It's also how apps like *that one everyone remembers for IAP* are able to modify code without breaking signatures.