ROG Phone Not Recognized by PC in Fastboot Mode. Recognized OK in ADB mode.

Search This thread

ballanda

Sep 2, 2015
I just got the phone today. i unlocked it with the ASUS-provided tool. No problems. I enabled developer mode and USB debugging, no problem. I can see the device when I connect it to my PC and type "ADB Devices". No problem there.

My problem is when I enter FASTBOOT mode (vol-up + power). If I connect the phone to my PC and type "fastboot devices" it comes up blank.

I tried multiple versions of ADB/Fastboot, and multiple cables and ports on multiple computers. The ROG phone just isn't recognized by fastboot (My old Pixel XL is recognized by Fastboot on the same PC).

Does anybody know why the ROG Phone isn't being picked up by fastboot when adb works fine on the same machine?

[UPDATE 1]: I also updated my USB driver and the device is in Device Manager as ASUS ADB Android Device when plugged in as USB debugging. When in Fastboot mode, the device does not show up in Device Manager at all.

Last edited:

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
It might not return anything but maybe it could execute commands. I think you want to flash TWRP am i correct?. If so try to run the commands and see if it executes them. I am also facing the same issue but i haven't unlocked my bootloader yet and i have no plans to do it yet.

Update: It seems my laptop doesn't detect my phone in fastboot mode also. If you go to the device manger window nothing changes when you connect your device to the computer/laptop. Could this has to do with me not unlocking the bootloader yet.
This is not the case with my Nexus 6p, when i am in the bootloader mode my laptop detects it fine and it shows a bootloader interface driver in the device manger window. which is obviously not the case for the ROG phone.
By the way when my Asus is on and connected it detects it by its name "ASUS_Z01QD" and not "ASUS ADB Android Device".

Last edited:
Reactions: ballanda

ballanda

Sep 2, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Seems we're more or less in the same boat. I guess I'll hang tight until someone smarter than I am posts a step by step rooting guide. Till then, no Fastboot and no TWRP, it seems.

enum5345

Nov 5, 2018
I was able to get fastboot to detect. I plugged the cable into the side USB slot, not the bottom.
When I plug it into the bottom, my device is not detected either.
I am using a USB-A to micro-USB cable with a micro-USB to USB-C adapter.

When I get home, I'll check if the USB-C cable that came with the device works with fastboot when plugged into the side slot.

Reactions: ballanda

ballanda

Sep 2, 2015
I contacted ASUS support, and they said to use the USB-C port on the side of the phone. Don't I feel dumb. The only thing I didn't try.

Reactions: tamghi

Zeeshan Ahmed xda

Jun 9, 2015
OK so i was also stucked and nothing seems to be work i put the cable at the side port but same no detection i tried change cable nothing works...

simple is put cable on side and restart bootloader **** this is real works ... lol hit
gimme a like if it works for u too

kmgatx

Dec 4, 2022
I was having the same issue. Was thinking I was going to have to start troubleshooting with different cables and computers but just changing to the side port actually worked. Wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I made an account here just to say thank you to this multi year old thread lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It might not return anything but maybe it could execute commands. I think you want to flash TWRP am i correct?. If so try to run the commands and see if it executes them. I am also facing the same issue but i haven't unlocked my bootloader yet and i have no plans to do it yet.

Update: It seems my laptop doesn't detect my phone in fastboot mode also. If you go to the device manger window nothing changes when you connect your device to the computer/laptop. Could this has to do with me not unlocking the bootloader yet.
    This is not the case with my Nexus 6p, when i am in the bootloader mode my laptop detects it fine and it shows a bootloader interface driver in the device manger window. which is obviously not the case for the ROG phone.
    By the way when my Asus is on and connected it detects it by its name "ASUS_Z01QD" and not "ASUS ADB Android Device".
    I was able to get fastboot to detect. I plugged the cable into the side USB slot, not the bottom.
    When I plug it into the bottom, my device is not detected either.
    I am using a USB-A to micro-USB cable with a micro-USB to USB-C adapter.

When I get home, I'll check if the USB-C cable that came with the device works with fastboot when plugged into the side slot.
    I contacted ASUS support, and they said to use the USB-C port on the side of the phone. Don't I feel dumb. The only thing I didn't try.