Rogers Dream Radio

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Would it hurt to try to flash the Rogers Dream radio to our Dreams and see if it unlocks those magical UMTS 850 / 1900 bands? There were people screaming that it was a purely hardware limitation (reminds me of those people who said that there could be no performance benefit from overclocking, but they were wrong).

It really couldn't hurt to try, of course. Anyone got the Rogers radio lying around?:D

Last edited:

duperin

Jan 25, 2009
I totally agree with you :) If someone gets the radio update, i will flash on my dream and make the tests!

I've noticed that the radio version from Rogers is the same one from Sapphire (3.22.20.17)

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
I totally agree with you :) If someone gets the radio update, i will flash on my dream and make the tests!

I've noticed that the radio version from Rogers is the same one from Sapphire (3.22.20.17)

The only problem is SPL compatibility... we don't know, and I hope nobody gets brick :confused:

UMTS on AT&T would be amazing.

jamesd86

Feb 7, 2009
Delaware
But if the SPL reads the Rogers radio as an older radio, it would be the same effect as downgrading our radio to on older one, aka bricking the phone.(as far as we know...i don't think anyone has actually tried to downgrade radios after installing H's SPL..)

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
But if the SPL reads the Rogers radio as an older radio, it would be the same effect as downgrading our radio to on older one, aka bricking the phone.(as far as we know...i don't think anyone has actually tried to downgrade radios after installing H's SPL..)

I think someone did, they bricked.

mikedmeyer

Dec 6, 2008

Someone tried the RC33 radio after successfully flashing H's SPL and bricked their phone. It's unknown if different radios would have the same effect, but it's a definite risk.

TemporalShadows

Feb 5, 2009
Hueytown, AL
I'm curious about this myself, even though it wouldn't really help me since I use TMo. First step is to find out what radio chip both versions of the handset use, and whether simply flashing the firmware image can change the frequencies. At first guess, I would think it's possible, but at the same time I've never heard of anyone doing it.

I am very interested in this myself. I have taken my g1 apart and it has a stand alone umts radio connected to the main board via an 80mm coaxial cable. i am not sure if it will flash but i do know that the antenna should be different. It is supossed that the anntena for the 1700 and 2100 freqs it different than the 850 1900 ones. maybe this unit could be swapped betwen phones. I am willing to test on my G1 if you can figure this out.

R

rhedgehog

Maybe I am missing something you guys are saying but the Dream doesnt have a quad band umts radio. It is only set up for TMo's 1700/2100 bands. Software wouldnt help that. You would need new software AND a new radio that could connect to the ATT bands.

Mmm. Kinda.

However, if the Rogers one is a Drea100 or Drea200 like the european devices, then it should have the same hardwareinside and it is possible if we can find the right combos of ROM and Radio.

oneof the good things of HTC using the qualcomm chipsets is that they are just governed by software in many cases, but the chipset has the same features...just not all activated.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Exactly. It is VERY common for a manufacturer to build one part and use software to control what features it has. CPU manufacturers have been doing it forever. Sometimes it is a question of fuse bits, which permanently disable a feature beyond recovery, though very often, its just a soft switch.

In fact, someone from google (I know they're not HTC) stated specifically upon my query (several months ago) that the hardware WAS quad band, just not enabled in software. Now how knowledgeable this fellow was, I can't say, but presumably being in the position to respond to questions publicly on google's forums, he must be required to answer questions truthfully or at least not answer at all... lies couldn't be tolerated. Unless he overstepped his bounds and his knowledge in the answer.

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
If I have an 802.11b Wi-fi NIC in my computer, installing drivers for an 802.11g version of the same NIC will not make my NIC operate at that frequency. Furthermore, if those drivers removed the capability to use 802.11b frequencies, my NIC will now no longer connect to anything.

I think at this point the question is: does the radio support all 4 data frequencies (850/1900/1700/2100).

My understanding at this point is: No.

Ask yourself -- why would HTC wait so long to release the G1 in Canada if not because they had to manufacture a phone with different radio hardware to meet Canadian broadcasting requirements?

fongoid

Jun 2, 2009
Waterloo
If I have an 802.11b Wi-fi NIC in my computer, installing drivers for an 802.11g version of the same NIC will not make my NIC operate at that frequency. Furthermore, if those drivers removed the capability to use 802.11b frequencies, my NIC will now no longer connect to anything.

I think at this point the question is: does the radio support all 4 data frequencies (850/1900/1700/2100).

My understanding at this point is: No.

Ask yourself -- why would HTC wait so long to release the G1 in Canada if not because they had to manufacture a phone with different radio hardware to meet Canadian broadcasting requirements?

The fact that it's a custom build perhaps?

aggtrfrad

Nov 7, 2008
toronto
the qualcom chip supports at&t frequencies BUT its output doesnt go directly to the antenna, it goes through amplifiers first... the t-mobile g1 has two amplifiers for the t-mo frequencies only... I really hope im wrong cause i have a T-mo G1 in canada and i have to spend 700$ to get 3G (which im paying anyway but only get edge). Anyways this pic might help you out...
igoogle_2.jpg

I trust it cause its from ubm tech:
http://ubmtechnology.com/