Rollback 3rd Gen on 3.2.6 and unlock bootloader

Search This thread

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
I have a 3rd Gen fire hdx 8.9 on 14.3.2.6. Safestrap is installed. I want to roll back and unlock my bootloader to install the nexus rom.

Is there a tutorial available? Do I need to uninstall safestrap first?

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Check page 1 of this thread, basically it's all there, so read the info & the linked threads. Any questions ask first, i.e. before you brick your kindle. ;)
Note that you can NOT use the rollback images, nor edit the build number. You must use the procedure described in post 1 of the thread and download the rollback zip I linked in post 4, you need to scroll down to get to the 3.2.5/3.2.6 procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: rootnooby

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
Check page 1 of this thread, basically it's all there, so read the info & the linked threads. Any questions ask first, i.e. before you brick your kindle. ;)
Note that you can NOT use the rollback images, nor edit the build number. You must use the procedure described in post 1 of the thread and download the rollback zip I linked in post 4, you need to scroll down to get to the 3.2.5/3.2.6 procedure.

I followed the procedure but I'm not clear that I downgraded correctly. No when I look at my system update, it says I am on 14.3.0.0_user_300079820. I thought I was supposed to be on 14.3.1.0_user_310079820? The file I downloaded from the thread is indeed "update-kindle-14.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin". Is there something else I need to do to downgrade before updating the bootloader?

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
I followed the procedure but I'm not clear that I downgraded correctly. No when I look at my system update, it says I am on 14.3.0.0_user_300079820. I thought I was supposed to be on 14.3.1.0_user_310079820? The file I downloaded from the thread is indeed "update-kindle-14.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin". Is there something else I need to do to downgrade before updating the bootloader?
I checked the rollback.zip for Apollo, it seems to be in the build.prop file, so nothing to worry about.
Now you should install TWRP via adb, update the 3.2.3.2 bootloader in TWRP, and finally unlock the bootloader.

Be sure to root and disable OTA via HDXToolkit, and enable USB debugging in Fire OS, before you flash TWRP.
And be sure to create a backup of Fire OS in TWRP before you flash any custom ROM.

Last edited:

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
Thanks. Is there a link outlining the steps to install twrp via add? Sorry for the need to have my hand held through this!

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Thanks. Is there a link outlining the steps to install twrp via add? Sorry for the need to have my hand held through this!
You must have Minimal ADB and Fastboot installed, download the Apollo TWRP Image here, copy it to the root of the sdcard (i.e. the directory you see in Explorer when you connect the HDX to your PC, so don't open any directory there),then you open a DOS box, change dir to the adb directory (enter cd\adb), then execute the commands mentioned in the TWRP thread with the correct file name for the Apollo TWRP image.

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
looks like I got through everything except the last remaining step of unlocking the bootloader. I confirmed that I am rooted and OTA is blocked. Not sure how to get this unlocked so I can finally have a real ROM!
OK, so you have Minimal ADB and Fastboot installed, unlocking the bootloader is really simple (with a little knowledge about command prompts), so download these drivers you need to install when the good ol' "waiting for device" issue occurs (check device manager then, the HDX probably has a yellow exclamation mark there).
You must download the software and the Python script mentioned here, and then follow the path outlined there, or (after installation of the required software) also here. Basically you just need to open a couple of command prompts (DOS boxes), change dir to the adb directory (enter cd\adb - or cd\python27 to go to the Python directory), then get the ID and serial, use the Python script with them, and finally execute the fastboot commands to unlock the bootloader.
That's it - and it's a no brainer, you can't mess up anything, if the unlock code is incorrect, it just won't flash (well, you must enter the fastboot commands correctly of course). ;)

Last edited:

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
OK, so you have Minimal ADB and Fastboot installed, unlocking the bootloader is really simple (with a little knowledge about command prompts), so download these drivers you need to install when the good ol' "waiting for device" issue occurs (check device manager then, the HDX probably has a yellow exclamation mark there).
You must download the software and the Python script mentioned here, and then follow the path outlined there, or (after installation of the required software) also here. Basically you just need to open a couple of command prompts (DOS boxes), change dir to the adb directory (enter cd\adb - or cd\python27 to go to the Python directory), then get the ID and serial, use the Python script with them, and finally execute the fastboot commands to unlock the bootloader.
That's it - and it's a no brainer, you can't mess up anything, if the unlock code is incorrect, it just won't flash (well, you must enter the fastboot commands correctly of course). ;)

Thanks. Running into an error creating the unlock file. I installed python, but I don't think i installed gmpy2-2.0.7-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl (md5) properly. The error I'm getting when I run the following command "python.exe cuberHDX.py 0xmmssssssss" "is "no module named gmpy2". I am using my correct code in the previous command. When I downloaded the gmpy2-2.0.7-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl (md5), I copied into the Python27 directory. Not sure if this is correct.

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Thanks. Running into an error creating the unlock file. I installed python, but I don't think i installed gmpy2-2.0.7-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl (md5) properly. The error I'm getting when I run the following command "python.exe cuberHDX.py 0xmmssssssss" "is "no module named gmpy2". I am using my correct code in the previous command. When I downloaded the gmpy2-2.0.7-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl (md5), I copied into the Python27 directory. Not sure if this is correct.
Try to use the exe installer for 2.0.6 from here. If it still fails, PM me your ID and serial, I'll create the .unlock file for you then.

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
Try to use the exe installer for 2.0.6 from here. If it still fails, PM me your ID and serial, I'll create the .unlock file for you then.

Thanks. It worked. I now have an unlock code. I'm not clear where my fastboot directory is? It says I need to "copy that file to your fastboot directory" before i run the commands. Would that just be the root of the kindle itself? Sorry for the question.

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Thanks. It worked. I now have an unlock code. I'm not clear where my fastboot directory is? It says I need to "copy that file to your fastboot directory" before i run the commands. Would that just be the root of the kindle itself? Sorry for the question.
If you installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot, it's the adb directory (e.g. C:\adb), you should have fastboot.exe in there as well. Just copy/move the .unlock file in the adb directory, open two DOS boxes, enter cd\adb in both,
then enter adb reboot-bootloader in the first one,
and the fastboot commands
fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xmmssssssss.unlock (mm=your ID, ssssssss=your serial)
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
in the second (again: if you see "waiting for device" on the fastboot prompt, install these drivers in device manager for the HDX (probably sitting there with a yellow exclamation mark).

Last edited:

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
If you installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot, it's the adb directory (e.g. C:\adb), you should have fastboot.exe in there as well. Just copy/move the .unlock file in the adb directory, open two DOS boxes, enter cd\adb in both,
then enter adb reboot-boorloader in the first one,
and the fastboot commands
fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xmmssssssss.unlock (mm=your ID, ssssssss=your serial)
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
in the second (again: if you see "waiting for device" on the fastboot prompt, install these drivers in device manager for the HDX (probably sitting there with a yellow exclamation mark).

Wow. I think it all worked! Assuming that's it. I can go ahead and load ROMs!

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
yes, it does look like that so I have unlocked successfully! I ran a backup using twrp, and that worked well. One problem I'm having now is that my computer doesn't seem to recognize the Kindle when connected via USB any more. I'm getting a message that says some candles are not compatible and a separate file needs to be downloaded. When I go to the Kindle support website, this is applicable for older systems running Windows XP. Have you seen this problem before? Now that I have a backup I want to move it over to my PC so I don't use all that storage.

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
yes, it does look like that so I have unlocked successfully! I ran a backup using twrp, and that worked well. One problem I'm having now is that my computer doesn't seem to recognize the Kindle when connected via USB any more. I'm getting a message that says some candles are not compatible and a separate file needs to be downloaded. When I go to the Kindle support website, this is applicable for older systems running Windows XP. Have you seen this problem before? Now that I have a backup I want to move it over to my PC so I don't use all that storage.
Yes, it seems that the drivers required for fastboot cause such a problem, remove them in device manager (select to delete the driver files), then dis- and re-connect the HDX, so the original HDX drivers will be re-installed. Should do the trick in this case.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    looks like I got through everything except the last remaining step of unlocking the bootloader. I confirmed that I am rooted and OTA is blocked. Not sure how to get this unlocked so I can finally have a real ROM!
    Wow. I think it all worked! Assuming that's it. I can go ahead and load ROMs!
    If it looked like this, i.e. unlock code is correct, then yes. ;)
    Enjoy your "free" HDX. :D
    Yes, it seems that the drivers required for fastboot cause such a problem, remove them in device manager (select to delete the driver files), then dis- and re-connect the HDX, so the original HDX drivers will be re-installed. Should do the trick in this case.