Rollback Android 11 -> 10 results in Widevine L3 on Poco F2 Pro

Search This thread

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU
Not in my case. My persistbak seems to hold its original files, while persist clearly was modified.
Can you confirm how your original persist partition (the one you've backed up) looks like?
Here is a screenshot of my persist and persistbak contents.
I know but as I told u persist.img is modified by xiaomi.eu and persistbak is your original. So basically u can use persistbak as persist img
Ok wait. Didn't notice your persistbak picture it really have less file, how about file size is persist and persistbak same?

Reactions: AlexJi

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021
I know but as I told u persist.img is modified by xiaomi.eu and persistbak is your original. So basically u can use persistbak as persist img
Ok wait. Didn't notice your persistbak picture it really have less file
That's what confuses me.
Maybe all these other files in persist appeared after I flashed xiaomi.eu and it's safe to flash persist with persistbak.img as those are the only original files?

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU
That's what confuses me.
Maybe all these other files in persist appeared after I flashed xiaomi.eu and it's safe to flash persist with persistbak.img as those are the only original files?
Mine original is also different in file amount but exactly the same in file size. Yes u can flash persistbak as persist u have nothing to lose if u don't have your original persist.img ( just create backup of existing "broken"persist now in any case)
Here is mine persist and persistbak see filesize

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_223501.jpg
    IMG_20210215_223501.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 40

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021
Mine original is also different in file amount but exactly the same in file size. Yes u can flash persistbak as persist u have nothing to lose if u don't have your original persist.img ( just create backup of existing "broken"persist now in any case)
Yeah, the filesize is the same because both are the images of a partition which size happens to be 64mb.
What bugs me is that somehow I still have Widevine L1 on Android 11. Would be really bad to loose that one as well.

What an unfortunate turn of events. I had my persist backed up as soon as I've got my bootloader unlocked, but I accidentally overwrote that backup with another backup of a corrupted persist today, when I wanted to check out its current state.

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU
Yeah, the filesize is the same because both are the images of a partition which size happens to be 64mb.
What bugs me is that somehow I still have Widevine L1 on Android 11. Would be really bad to loose that one as well.

What an unfortunate turn of events. I had my persist backed up as soon as I've got my bootloader unlocked, but I accidentally overwrote that backup with another backup of a corrupted persist today, when I wanted to check out its current state.
u cant lose L1 in android 11 if u now create backup of persist and persistbak. after u backup u can flash persistbak as persist.
Here is example for redmi note 8 fixing persist using persistbak https://en.gizchina.it/2020/07/come-riparare-ripristinare-persist-partition-redmi-note-8/

just checked and original persist have that file amount like yours persistbak, just after flashing persist create more file. thats why u have more file in persist. so dont worry u can safely flash bak as persist.
Also u can use manual method of creating backup and restoring persist in this whay u know what u doing and u cant mess anyting, see my post here for creating and restoring persist https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/will-i-lose-widevine-l1.4072175/

Last edited:

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021
u cant lose L1 in android 11 if u now create backup of persist and persistbak. after u backup u can flash persistbak as persist.
Here is example for redmi note 8 fixing persist using persistbak https://en.gizchina.it/2020/07/come-riparare-ripristinare-persist-partition-redmi-note-8/

just checked and original persist have that file amount like yours persistbak, just after flashing persist create more file. thats why u have more file in persist. so dont worry u can safely flash bak as persist.
Also u can use manual method of creating backup and restoring persist in this whay u know what u doing and u cant mess anyting, see my post here for creating and restoring persist https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/will-i-lose-widevine-l1.4072175/
So I copied persistbak to persist partition using your instructions except I've copied to sda22, since by-name pointed to that partition in regards to persist.
Camera calibrated successfully, but fingerprint stopped working and Widevine L3 still, so it doesn't work.

Edit:
Something really strange just happened. I've noticed finish setting up your device notification in the settings, which I pressed. This prompted me to redo screen lock password and setup google account which I skipped. Suddenly Widevine L1 now in DRM Info.
Don't know what to say. Fingerprint still doesn't work.

Edit2: I've successfully calibrated FOD using CIT menu's FOD calibration.
Now it seems like I have everything in order. I will continue testing if everything works properly right now.
Would be great if you could suggest what should I check to ensure that I did not break something.
Anyway, thank you! I'll edit my OP to include the summary.

Last edited:
So I copied persistbak to persist partition using your instructions except I've copied to sda22, since by-name pointed to that partition in regards to persist.
Camera calibrated successfully, but fingerprint stopped working and Widevine L3 still, so it doesn't work.

Edit:
Something really strange just happened. I've noticed finish setting up your device notification in the settings, which I pressed. This prompted me to redo screen lock password and setup google account which I skipped. Suddenly Widevine L1 now in DRM Info.
And if you try V12.2.4.0.RJKMIXM with miflash?

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021
And if you try V12.2.4.0.RJKMIXM with miflash?
I am currently doing OTA update to EEA 12.2.4.0.RJKEUXM to check if Widevine L1 is still there and nothing broke. If you have not read my second edit in my previous post, it basically tells that it looks like copying persistbak to persist solved the problem.

I am currently doing OTA update to EEA 12.2.4.0.RJKEUXM to check if Widevine L1 is still there and nothing broke. If you have not read my second edit in my previous post, it basically tells that it looks like copying persistbak to persist solved the problem.
Good for you.
would appear that the EEA is more difficult than the global one.

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU

Edit:

Edit2: I've successfully calibrated FOD using CIT menu's FOD calibration.
Now it seems like I have everything in order. I will continue testing if everything works properly right now.
Would be great if you could suggest what should I check to ensure that I did not break something.
Anyway, thank you! I'll edit my OP to include the summary.
-yes sda22 is on poco f2 pro, on mi 9t pro is sda23

-yes that is normal behaviour for FOD after calibration u will be fine. and all others sensors should be fine don't worry. U can do test sensors in CIT menu if u want to make sure everything ok

The steps i was doing is restore over terminal emulator my persist img, after that i flashed same rom over miflash, and as i mentioned before my widewine is back to L1 with working sensors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-16-04-05-00-765_com.miui.cit.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-02-16-04-05-00-765_com.miui.cit.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021
-yes sda22 is on poco f2 pro, on mi 9t pro is sda23

-yes that is normal behaviour for FOD after calibration u will be fine. and all others sensors should be fine don't worry. U can do test sensors in CIT menu if u want to make sure everything ok

The steps i was doing is restore over terminal emulator my persist img, after that i flashed same rom over miflash, and as i mentioned before my widewine is back to L1 with working sensors.
Just updated to EEA 12.2.4.0.RJKEUXM OTA and then fastboot flashed EEA 12.0.3.0.QJKEUXM back.
Everything still works properly along with Widevine L1. I've backed up my persist properly this time.
Seems like some files are still missing in persist even after calibration but from the looks of it nothing's broken cause of that, so I'll live with it.

Next I'll check xiaomi.eu with Android 10 and if it destroys my Widevine certification, I'll just reflash my backup of persist.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Dadovvv

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU
Just updated to EEA 12.2.4.0.RJKEUXM OTA and then fastboot flashed EEA 12.0.3.0.QJKEUXM back.
Everything still works properly along with Widevine L1. I've backed up my persist properly this time.
Seems like some files are still missing in persist even after calibration but from the looks of it nothing's broken cause of that, so I'll live with it.

Next I'll check xiaomi.eu with Android 10 and if it destroys my Widevine certification, I'll just reflash my backup of persist.
Thanks again!
xiaomi.eu Android 10 should be fine, the only one problematic is latest xiaomi.eu weekly causing broken L1 on downgrade.
Anyway glad u solved problem 😉

MCJD

Aug 1, 2014

Thanks again!

Hi bro, i have the same issue, i lost mi Widevine L1 after a Rollback, i have an answer for you ¿Do you have a previously backup of your persist or you do another process to restore that? I'm very grateful it you can put step by step what are you do to solve that issue.

Dadovvv

Sep 25, 2010
VU
Hi bro, i have the same issue, i lost mi Widevine L1 after a Rollback, i have an answer for you ¿Do you have a previously backup of your persist or you do another process to restore that? I'm very grateful it you can put step by step what are you do to solve that issue.
read all thread and u will find step by step answer

AlexJi

Feb 3, 2021

Before you delve into flashing partitions like persist, try factory resetting your phone and then go through the initial setup WITHOUT restoring from any kind of online backup be it xiaomi or google. Keep in mind that apart from broken persist, backup recovery from cloud services broke my Widevine L1 AS WELL.

If that doesn't help, then you have to flash persist with your persistbak.
Load up some recovery with adb access like TWRP 3.4.2B by wzsx150 and let's get things rolling:
  1. First of all back up your persist and persistbak.
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img adb pull /sdcard/persist.img persist.img adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persistbak of=/sdcard/persistbak.img adb pull /sdcard/persistbak.img persistbak.img
  2. Then flash persist with persistbak.
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persistbak of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist
  3. Fastboot flash stock ROM and calibrate all sensors in CIT menu's additional tools.
    ( Settings->About phone->All specs, press Kernel version multiple times, three dots->additional tools)
  4. Add fingerprint, update Widevine certificate (Settings->Passwords & security->Fingerprint unlock->Fingerprint payments->Widevine (L1)->Certificate) and check Widevine L1 status returns.
  5. Backup new persist from recovery.
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img adb pull /sdcard/persist.img persistRestored.img

Now if you followed my instructions carefully, you can try flashing your old persist and check if Widevine L1 is still there even if you press certificate button to update it. This is the case for me. Currently I have my original persist and Widevine L1 is still there and updates as it should on Android 10.

Reactions: valy_cta and MCJD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Before you delve into flashing partitions like persist, try factory resetting your phone and then go through the initial setup WITHOUT restoring from any kind of online backup be it xiaomi or google. Keep in mind that apart from broken persist, backup recovery from cloud services broke my Widevine L1 AS WELL.

If that doesn't help, then you have to flash persist with your persistbak.
    Load up some recovery with adb access like TWRP 3.4.2B by wzsx150 and let's get things rolling:
    1. First of all back up your persist and persistbak.
      adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img adb pull /sdcard/persist.img persist.img adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persistbak of=/sdcard/persistbak.img adb pull /sdcard/persistbak.img persistbak.img
    2. Then flash persist with persistbak.
      adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persistbak of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist
    3. Fastboot flash stock ROM and calibrate all sensors in CIT menu's additional tools.
      ( Settings->About phone->All specs, press Kernel version multiple times, three dots->additional tools)
    4. Add fingerprint, update Widevine certificate (Settings->Passwords & security->Fingerprint unlock->Fingerprint payments->Widevine (L1)->Certificate) and check Widevine L1 status returns.
    5. Backup new persist from recovery.
      adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img adb pull /sdcard/persist.img persistRestored.img

Now if you followed my instructions carefully, you can try flashing your old persist and check if Widevine L1 is still there even if you press certificate button to update it. This is the case for me. Currently I have my original persist and Widevine L1 is still there and updates as it should on Android 10.
    After spending some time with latest xiaomi.eu weekly I have finally decided to downgrade my phone back to Android 10.
    First I've tried fastboot flashing CN 12.0.8.0 with subsequent recovery flash of xiaomi.eu stable 12.0.8.0 which is the latest stable Android 10 firmware.
    However, to my surprise DRM Info showed Widevine L3.
    Passwords & security -> Fingerprint unlock -> Fignerprint payments -> Widevine (L1) had:
    • Payment status - Not available
    • Certificate number - 0
    • Certificate update -
    Pressing Download certificate resulted in Couldn't download certificate. Error code: 1.
    Netflix also reported Widevine L3.

At this point I thought that maybe xiaomi.eu didn't have Widevine L1 support for my device back then, so I've tried latest xiaomi.eu weekly which still had Android 10 - 20.7.9.
    Unfortunately, same story with that one.

Reading changelogs made me think that maybe support for Widevine L1 appeared only on Android 11 xiaomi.eu lmi releases, so I went for stock firmwares.
    I've tried EEA 11.0.6.0 (I think this is the one I've had out of the box), EEA 12.0.3.0 and Global 12.0.4.0 all of which had Widevine L3. The earliest one didn't even have option for downloading Widevine certificate.

As soon as I've updated back to Android 11, I had my Widevine L1 restored, which makes me think that it is impossible to rollback Android version on Poco F2 Pro without loosing Widevine L1.
    I've never tampered with persist or persistbak partitions. Maybe flashing persist with persistbak would solve my issues on lower firmwares?
    Would be great if someone could confirm that.

So think twice before upgrading to Android 11. Mostly it's about improving DRM (hardware SafetyNet attestation, /data/ encryption, system components wrapped in .apex format files) with lots of features broken on MIUI (3rd party launchers are still kinda broken, though working, they have no support for custom recents menu and default one lags when used with non-default launcher).
    It doesn't even have a proper documentation of changes that are required for old applications to work on it (most of them regarding permissions).
    RECAP
    MIUI 12 12.0.4.0 indonesian android 10 widewine is L1 ----- OTA update to 12.2.2.0 indonesian android 11 windewine is L1 --- downgrade to 12.0.4.0 indonesian android 10 windewine is still L1.
    MIUI 12 12.0.4.0 indonesian android 10 widewine is L1 ----- Flashed Xiaomi.eu latest WEEKLY 21.2.4 android 11 widewine is L1 ---- downgrade to 12.0.4.0 indonesian causing lost widewine and showing L3.
    Same as yours ---- Passwords & security -> Fingerprint unlock -> Fignerprint payments -> Widevine (L1) had:
    Payment status - Not available
    Certificate number - 0
    Certificate update -
    Pressing Download certificate resulted in Couldn't download certificate. Error code: 1.

It only happen on latest xiaome.eu to me, early version of xiaomi.eu rom was fine and L1 was there in downgrade to android 10.

Anyway i restore my original persist and persistbak and problem solved
    Not in my case. My persistbak seems to hold its original files, while persist clearly was modified.
    Can you confirm how your original persist partition (the one you've backed up) looks like?
    Here is a screenshot of my persist and persistbak contents.
    Ok wait. Didn't notice your persistbak picture it really have less file, how about file size is persist and persistbak same?
    That's what confuses me.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone