• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rollback to Android 11

Search This thread

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
I do hate the new Android interface, large Button in the notification screen, screen that is also always full screen, can't control Chromecast volume with cellphone buttons.
So there is some major bug that are really annoying to me.

Is there anyone who rollback to A11?
Can i just Flash the latest version over Android 12? Is a full wipe required?

Reactions: xstokerx

dotmehdi

Nov 1, 2010
Man, it's like I wrote this topic lol.
If we downgrade to Android 11, will it be possible to get all the security updates, or are they included in the latest images available on google.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Lol, 11 is no gem. I'd go back to 10. That is as high as I will go. Apple trashware is what Android has become, a bloated yappy poodle of an OS.

Who left that big Apple into the room?🤮🤮🤢🤣

Reactions: xstokerx
Man, it's like I wrote this topic lol.
If we downgrade to Android 11, will it be possible to get all the security updates, or are they included in the latest images available on google.
Just like previous updates, Android 11 on the Pixel series has now been deprecated and will no longer be supported with updates.
Lol, 11 is no gem. I'd go back to 10. That is as high as I will go. Apple trashware is what Android has become, a bloated yappy poodle of an OS.

While you're entitled to your personal opinion regarding Android versions, your comment is neither helpful nor appropriate in this context. Some of us like Android 12, some like 11, you apparently prefer 10. Everyone has their own preference. I personally don't like the C8 Corvette, and if I were to buy a Corvette, I'd go with the C7 (or maybe keep it old school and go with a C3). But, I'm not going to be disrespectful to someone and imply the C8 is trash because it's a wannabe Ferrari.

dotmehdi

Nov 1, 2010
Just like previous updates, Android 11 on the Pixel series has now been deprecated and will no longer be supported with updates.

While you're entitled to your personal opinion regarding Android versions, your comment is neither helpful nor appropriate in this context. Some of us like Android 12, some like 11, you apparently prefer 10. Everyone has their own preference. I personally don't like the C8 Corvette, and if I were to buy a Corvette, I'd go with the C7 (or maybe keep it old school and go with a C3). But, I'm not going to be disrespectful to someone and imply the C8 is trash because it's a wannabe Ferrari.

I'm sorry my question wasn't clear
I meant, if I download the latest image on https://developers.google.com/android/images , will it include the latest patches of Android 11 ? I assume I will not get an invite to update to the latest patches, but directly to Android 12 which is why I wonder if I will also have to install all the ota patches myself

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

You don't need updates.
Don't buy the scare hype.
Almost all malware infections are done by the user and most are preventable.

{Mod edit} 11 is just a bad OS by design.
Android wanted to make it "safe" and "secure" for even the ignorami.
There's no saving ignorami... load at you're own peril🤣

{Mod edit: Language slightly adjusted - regards Oswald Boelcke}

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant, if I download the latest image on https://developers.google.com/android/images , will it include the latest patches of Android 11 ? I assume I will not get an invite to update to the latest patches, but directly to Android 12 which is why I wonder if I will also have to install all the ota patches myself
Take a look at the link you posted. Every update, from the initial release to the most recent, is hosted there. The updates are cumulative, so if you install the latest firmware, it incorporates all previous updates.

You don't need updates.

11 is just a bad OS by design.
If you have nothing productive to contribute, feel welcome to find your way to an OT forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
There isn't any Android 10 factory image for the Pixel 5..

That's unfortunate, I thought that may be the case... my bad.

Maybe a custom rom built on Q but this may difficult because Titan M security chip found on the newer Pixels. Don't know if it can be bypassed as it's primary function is security.
In Q scoped storage doesn't appear to be implemented at least with older apps. That changes with R.

At the least I wait for 12 to see wide spread release for a few months before upgrading; let someone else work out/suffer the glitches.

lapingultah

Feb 10, 2011
I feel the same way about Android 12 and successfully did a rollback (with full wipe unfortunately) using https://9to5google.com/2021/10/21/how-to-downgrade-from-android-12-to-android-11-on-google-pixel/ as a guide.

However, my concern now is how do I block 12 from updating automatically? I've disabled automatic updates under Developer Tools, but is that sufficient? I keep getting popups to update to 12 but so far I've managed to dismiss them. Last time I inadvertently dismissed an update popup like that the phone eventually told me too much time has passed and it will update now without giving me an option to prevent it. Do I need to enable OEM debugging and/or unlock the bootloader to really block OTA updates or is there an easier way?

I feel the same way about Android 12 and successfully did a rollback (with full wipe unfortunately) using https://9to5google.com/2021/10/21/how-to-downgrade-from-android-12-to-android-11-on-google-pixel/ as a guide.

However, my concern now is how do I block 12 from updating automatically? I've disabled automatic updates under Developer Tools, but is that sufficient? I keep getting popups to update to 12 but so far I've managed to dismiss them. Last time I inadvertently dismissed an update popup like that the phone eventually told me too much time has passed and it will update now without giving me an option to prevent it. Do I need to enable OEM debugging and/or unlock the bootloader to really block OTA updates or is there an easier way?
OEM Debugging won't do anything to prevent updates; disabling Automatic Updates should do the trick. Not sure how to prevent the notification though, I'm on the latest 12 release and still getting an update notification. So are some others that aren't even rooted.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

You need to use an adb edit or package disabler to kill it or it will likely force update.

If the update downloads clearing the system cache before it completes may purge it. I haven't tested that though.

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
Go in settings, apps, In the Google Play services apps notification, there is a system update notification that can be disabled there.

I've format and install A11 back, rooted it, and since October 25, i haven't seen any update notification. I've already tried by the past to let the system update itself with the normal update way and it wasn't able to do it caused I'm rooted.. So i think I'm safe.

lapingultah

Feb 10, 2011
You need to use an adb edit or package disabler to kill it or it will likely force update.

ADB edit or package disabler to kill... what exactly? I'm sorry I'm not that familiar with this specific area.

Go in settings, apps, In the Google Play services apps notification, there is a system update notification that can be disabled there.

This is only for the notification though while other things do happen in the background still, right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    beautiful. tried android 12 for a day on pixel 5.... couldn't stand it. plus Energy Ring bugged out.

I don't know what google was thinking with this one. ... so much wasted space in so many areas. and too much forced colors. and that gawd awful clock...

Here's to hoping A13 is better...

I've format and install A11 back, rooted it, and since October 25, i haven't seen any update notification. I've already tried by the past to let the system update itself with the normal update way and it wasn't able to do it caused I'm rooted.. So i think I'm safe.
    How can I downgrade to 11 I'm not feeling the new update
    Easiest way: Use the Android Flash Tool. Make sure you wipe data.
    Take a look at the link you posted. Every update, from the initial release to the most recent, is hosted there. The updates are cumulative, so if you install the latest firmware, it incorporates all previous updates.

You don't need updates.

11 is just a bad OS by design.
    If you have nothing productive to contribute, feel welcome to find your way to an OT forum.
    beautiful. tried android 12 for a day on pixel 5.... couldn't stand it. plus Energy Ring bugged out.

I don't know what google was thinking with this one. ... so much wasted space in so many areas. and too much forced colors. and that gawd awful clock...

Here's to hoping A13 is better...

There isn't any Android 10 factory image for the Pixel 5..

Full wipe is required when downgrading. If your bootloader is unlocked, you should be able to use the Android Flash Tool to install a previous build.

If your bootloader is locked, you will have to unlock it in order to downgrade.