[ROM][10.0.0_r41]LineageOS 17.1 for Moto E5 Play (James) + Recovery [64Bit]

Search This thread

Arkv

Dec 11, 2011
Still using the 11/24 build, perfect except for the camera bug. The recent build causes the system UI to crash a lot and feels overall slower, on top of the sound and other bugs.

whodat711

May 7, 2011
New Orleans
Moto E5
Samsung Galaxy S20
Still using the 11/24 build, perfect except for the camera bug. The recent build causes the system UI to crash a lot and feels overall slower, on top of the sound and other bugs.

I have newer builds I've been trying to get testers to flash but jamss has hardly any volunteers to test..
I'm not experiencing camera bug nor system ui crashing.. sounds like improper flash, or didnt wipe before flashing.. Follow instructions in main post , just updated it
I'll provide the links here aswell

64bit TWRP (BOOT ONLY): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145737833
64bit ROM : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145737989

Enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: LiOnDubSeleKta

whodat711

May 7, 2011
New Orleans
Moto E5
Samsung Galaxy S20
thanks @whodat711, does this new build solve the finger print issue?

I've been busy working on Nora (Moto e5) since I posted this build for james...
tbh, I'm not sure , I do not have a james with a fingerprint sensor , so I cannot test that
If you have one and you are able to flash and let me know that would be great
otherwise I'll tell you when I find a tester who has such device with fingerprint sensor.

Totoya

Feb 23, 2021
Wow, this is awesome! Everything works flawlessly! Camera, Bluetooth, FM Radio, everything!
Maybe I'm not informed enough on the latest lineageos development, but Mobile voice network type is set to LTE!

I'm on tmo in US, and voice calls sound as clear as my old stock LG G6 with VoLTE, so hope this is not just some fake cosmetic setting!

Anyway, thank you for the wonderful rom. It's truly an outstanding job!

whodat711

May 7, 2011
New Orleans
Moto E5
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thanks , glad to breathe some life into this device!

as for the lte / volte , im not sure if stock supported such but as I do not have a sim in my james im not able to check that but if its working fine for you thats cool too

Last edited:

Totoya

Feb 23, 2021
Yep! IMS Status says it's Registered. VoLTE, VoWiFi, Video Calling all available and works perfectly! It's amazing! No VoLTE icon on status bar, and cannot edit status bar since that feature was apparently removed by google, but let's not get too neurotic over that! It's like Lineage turned factory stock! Everything just works!

By the way, it's XT1921-3 metropcs phone unlocked and on tmobile on US. I was using the LG G6 and 18.1 rom is very nice, but VoLTE is a no-no.. Out of blue, I checked and found your rom for my backup E5 Play here! Now, G6 is the backup! Thank you so much again!

Soooo...let's get going with 18.1!! ;)

Adieu

cris-

Aug 8, 2010
I've got a XT1920-16, a PETTYL if I'm not wrong.
I would be happy to test and eventually also to build myself: any chance to get support for it?

whodat711

May 7, 2011
New Orleans
Moto E5
Samsung Galaxy S20
Yep! IMS Status says it's Registered. VoLTE, VoWiFi, Video Calling all available and works perfectly! It's amazing! No VoLTE icon on status bar, and cannot edit status bar since that feature was apparently removed by google, but let's not get too neurotic over that! It's like Lineage turned factory stock! Everything just works!

By the way, it's XT1921-3 metropcs phone unlocked and on tmobile on US. I was using the LG G6 and 18.1 rom is very nice, but VoLTE is a no-no.. Out of blue, I checked and found your rom for my backup E5 Play here! Now, G6 is the backup! Thank you so much again!

Soooo...let's get going with 18.1!! ;)

Adieu

thats awesome :)

rhett888

Dec 28, 2020
@whodat711 thanks for the new ROM, installed for XT1921-1 RJAMES, the camera works fine now.
There are still two issues.
1. The finger print scanner can not be recognized.
2. The mobile data always shows as 3G for me, even I set the preference for LTE.

Arkv

Dec 11, 2011
Thanks for the new release, been using it for about a week now and everything's functional and stable. It does seem like the fingerprint scanner isn't working but not a big deal tbh.

whodat711

May 7, 2011
New Orleans
Moto E5
Samsung Galaxy S20
@whodat711 thanks for the new ROM, installed for XT1921-1 RJAMES, the camera works fine now.
There are still two issues.
1. The finger print scanner can not be recognized.
2. The mobile data always shows as 3G for me, even I set the preference for LTE.
Confirmed this model is fixed , once Arkv replies with his model ill push a new build with the update

I've read entire thread and no mention of root. Is this compatible with a root solution? Magisk, SuperSU, LOS su addon???

I ask because I've had a lot of trouble out of the xt-1931-3 metropcs that I have. I was able to get the twrp-3.2.1 (I believe 64bit) to work to flash Magisk & decrypt on stock, but when I tried to flash custom ROMs it all went to hell and I had to reflash stock using a fastboot firmware. Now, I'm having trouble even getting stock to work w/Magisk, and I am not a developer but not a newb either. But I am downloading the latest build and will flash per instructions in the OP. Guess I can always add Magisk later . . .

Totoya

Feb 23, 2021
I've read entire thread and no mention of root. Is this compatible with a root solution? Magisk, SuperSU, LOS su addon???

I ask because I've had a lot of trouble out of the xt-1931-3 metropcs that I have. I was able to get the twrp-3.2.1 (I believe 64bit) to work to flash Magisk & decrypt on stock, but when I tried to flash custom ROMs it all went to hell and I had to reflash stock using a fastboot firmware. Now, I'm having trouble even getting stock to work w/Magisk, and I am not a developer but not a newb either. But I am downloading the latest build and will flash per instructions in the OP. Guess I can always add Magisk later . . .

It's been few weeks and it's rock solid! I initially had Magisk 2.2 installed along with rom and gapp, but I don't really need it, so I didn't keep it. But it was working just fine. Su from adb shell worked fine, and didn't cause any problems. My metropcs e5 play was on stock, just unlocked bootloader thru motorola site, and used it as a backup on tmo, and that was about it.
Booting the latest twrp 3.5.0_9 with fastboot, as OP stated in the instruction, did cause some error messages about not being able to mount /data and such, but all installed fine. I did reboot few extra times when initially wiping, and errors were gone when wiping system again, that was about it. I didn't flash twrp as OP instructed. Just boot it with fastboot. So far I haven't had a reason to use recovery again.
Hope this helped, and hope you sort out your e5 problems soon!

Marzaaa

Mar 29, 2021
ap_resize.php

LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What's working :

• Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • Display
  • Encryption
  • Face unlock
  • GPS
  • RIL (calls, SMS, Data)
  • Sensors
  • Video Playback
  • Wi-Fi

Known issues:
  • You tell me the rest :confused:

Report bugs:
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
  • Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:
restore with titanium backup:
reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
a task killer:
a non-stock kernel (Ignore):
other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

DO NO POST BUGS WITHOUT LOGS AND PROPER STEPS TO REPRODUCE THE ISSUE

Follow Instructions Carefully otherwise you will get error :

• fastboot boot ofoxSAR.img (ONLY BOOT IT!! TOO BIG TO FLASH!)
  • -- OR --
  • fastboot boot twrp-james-bootonly.img (ONLY BOOT IT!)
  • -- then --
  • Wipe -> ADVANCED -- select system + vendor -> SWIPE TO WIPE
  • reboot bootloader
  • fastboot boot the recovery of your choice again
  • -- then --
  • Format data, Wipe cache & dalvik-cache
  • Flash ROM, Gapps 10 arm64 pico together (Download Gapps from downloads section)
  • Done-Reboot Now
  • Enjoy the clean Rom

64bit Downloads:
ROM:
Moto E5 Play (James) XT-1921
RECOVERY: twrp-james-bootonly.img
GAPPS: Gapps 10 arm64

Source code:
ROM: https://github.com/ForkLineageOS/android
KERNEL: https://github.com/HyperTeam/android_kernel_motorola_msm8937/tree/lineage-17.1

CREDITS:
LineageOS
Team Hyper
CAF

Special thanks to @deadman96385 (Sean Hoyt) for donating me a device :highfive:
Special thanks to @SykkNyzz for testing and donating me a similar device :highfive:

DONATIONS:
Please consider donating if you enjoy my work. It will be used for server expenses, Ty
Paypal donation link: https://www.paypal.me/brickjungle

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS-James, ROM for the Moto E5 Play

Contributors
whodat711, karthick mostwanted, JarlPenguin, electimon, wiktor140
Source Code: http://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x

Version Information
Alpha

Created 2020-11-24
Last Updated 2020-11-24
Works great bro, no issues at all. One question though, is there a TWRP that we can install permanently to james? I checked the twrp site and they do have one for james but i want to make sure.

Ucill1

May 30, 2018
ap_resize.php

LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What's working :

• Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • Display
  • Encryption
  • Face unlock
  • GPS
  • RIL (calls, SMS, Data)
  • Sensors
  • Video Playback
  • Wi-Fi

Known issues:

Report bugs:
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
  • Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:

Are you using--
a task killer:
other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

• -- OR --
  • -- then --
  • reboot bootloader
  • -- then --
  • Flash ROM, Gapps 10 arm64 pico together (Download Gapps from downloads section)
  • Done-Reboot Now
  • Enjoy the clean Rom

64bit Downloads:
ROM:

Source code:
KERNEL: https://github.com/HyperTeam/android_kernel_motorola_msm8937/tree/lineage-17.1

CREDITS:
LineageOS
Team Hyper
CAF

Special thanks to @SykkNyzz for testing and donating me a similar device :highfive:

DONATIONS:
Please consider donating if you enjoy my work. It will be used for server expenses, Ty

Contributors

Version Information
Alpha

Created 2020-11-24
Last Updated 2020-11-24
Thank you for this! Everything seems to work so far. The only thing I've noticed is that the in-call volume is too high at its lowest setting. I have to hold the phone away from my ear (it's not on speakerphone 🙂). Is there a setting I might be able to tweak somewhere?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ap_resize.php

What's working :

• Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Camera
    • Display
    • Encryption
    • Face unlock
    • GPS
    • RIL (calls, SMS, Data)
    • Sensors
    • Video Playback
    • Wi-Fi

Known issues:

Report bugs:

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    other modifications:

• -- OR --
    • -- then --
    • reboot bootloader
    • -- then --
    • Done-Reboot Now
    • Enjoy the clean Rom

64bit Downloads:
    ROM:

Source code:

CREDITS:
    LineageOS
    Team Hyper
    CAF

DONATIONS:

Contributors

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2020-11-24
    Last Updated 2020-11-24
    you *MUST* use the recovery i provided and NOT any OTHERS as they are only 32bit

32bit recovery CANNOT flash 64bit ROM!

I have newer builds I've been trying to get testers to flash but jamss has hardly any volunteers to test..
    I'm not experiencing camera bug nor system ui crashing.. sounds like improper flash, or didnt wipe before flashing.. Follow instructions in main post , just updated it
    I'll provide the links here aswell

64bit TWRP (BOOT ONLY): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145737833
    64bit ROM : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145737989

Enjoy
    is this rom compatible with the xt1920-18? (pettyl)