• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][10.0][OFFICIAL][instantnoodlep] Pixel Experience [AOSP][02-10-2020]

Search This thread

chemengire

Jan 5, 2014
Please excuse my ignorance 🙂, but will it be possible at some stage to have Widevine == 1 while using this ROM, or to be able to spoof it for apps such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video?

Thank you for any information

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
I am new to this thread and haven't gone through all the discussions yet. Plz pardon me if I'm repeating a question. I'll be getting an 8 Pro soon and am debating which custom ROM to install. I watched several YouTube videos, and all of them show Pixel Experience slower than other ROMs like Lineage, Corvus, Evolution X, etc. Since the latter two don't support the 8 Pro, it's just Lineage. I've also heard that Resurrection Remit has official support for the 8 pro (I don't know how RR compares against PE in terms of speed), but my understanding of this ROM is that it is just a fork of LOS with a lot of UI customization that I probably would never use anyway.

Should I be worried that PE's benchmark is slower than Lineage?

On the other hand, PE officially supports the 8 Pro whereas Lineage doesn't. I am assuming OTA isn't available when a ROM isn't official. The way I see it is that one uses a custom ROM to extend the life of his device because OEMs only update their stock ROM for 2 years. When it comes to updates, doing small incremental updates like OTA is a lot less painful than a major revision change, e.g. from Oreo to Pie. I can certainly use Titanium Backup to save all my apps and data, wipe the memory clean and jump for a major update, but I dread the very slow TB backup/restore process. Do you think this philosophy has some merit to it?

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Most custom ROMs don't come with Gapps due to copyright issues, but Pixel Experience is bundled with it. Does this imply the PE is actually sponsored by Google?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
I am new to this thread and haven't gone through all the discussions yet. Plz pardon me if I'm repeating a question. I'll be getting an 8 Pro soon and am debating which custom ROM to install. I watched several YouTube videos, and all of them show Pixel Experience slower than other ROMs like Lineage,

Most custom ROMs don't come with Gapps due to copyright issues, but Pixel Experience is bundled with it. Does this imply the PE is actually sponsored by Google?

Honestly with the OnePlus 8 pro benchmarks are irrelevant, this phone is so fast there isn't anything it cannot run, no emulator, no game, no ROM, there also is no need for a kernel to boost performance either as it's simply a rapid processor, so to compare anything prior to the OnePlus 8 pro wouldn't be a fair test.

Resurrection remix is also bundled with gapps, it's just how its done, no sponsors from Google AFAIK.

Lastly,, whether you're on OOS (like I am) or using one of the custom ROMs available, there always something to like, part of the beauty of flashing your phone.

If I had a gripe with custom ROMs it would be the lack of the OnePlus camera,, performance simply isn't an issue, if it is different it's certainly not something you'll notice.

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
I totally agree with you. Unelss I have two 8 Pro side by side for comparison, how would I ever notice one ROM is a few % faster than the other? Even then, my life certainly doesn't change because of this tiny difference! On the other hand, if a feature is broken, it becomes very noticeable. I've heard the fingerprint sensor in LOS is quite buggy for the 8 Pro while most features work quite well under the PE.

Someone pointed out that the only issue he has with the PE is that the resolution is locked to QHD and cannot be throttled to FHD. While QHD certainly uses more juice, I'll enjoy a prettier display too. So it's not all negative. Since I'm working from home due to Covid-19, the phone will be plugged in all the time anyway. Hopefully by the time I return to the office, we'll have a choice of FHD vs QHD. By the way, how much more juice does QHD use? Can it last all day with one charge?

If I had a gripe with custom ROMs it would be the lack of the OnePlus camera
Since my phone hasn't arrived yet, I am not sure if you meant the camera is completely broken or the camera app of these custom ROMs doesn't work as well as the stock one. Could you plz clarify?

As far as I know, OnePlus' Camera app can be downloaded from sites like apkmirror.com. Would it not install on a custom ROM? https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/onepl...eKH1-rx4osub733cnXMfDOlvSASeDyy1yB9CqQPQPqiwM
Thank you

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Someone pointed out that the only issue he has with the PE is that the resolution is locked to QHD and cannot be throttled to FHD. While QHD certainly uses more juice, I'll enjoy a prettier display too. So it's not all negative. Since I'm working from home due to Covid-19, the phone will be plugged in all the time anyway. Hopefully by the time I return to the office, we'll have a choice of FHD vs QHD. By the way, how much more juice does QHD use? Can it last all day with one charge?

Since my phone hasn't arrived yet, I am not sure if you meant the camera is completely broken or the camera app of these custom ROMs doesn't work as well as the stock one. Could you plz clarify?

Thank you

PE is locked to QHD, something I have told them to change, as with other ROMs, FHD should definitely be an option as the resolution change is negligible but in turn murders the battery, that's why I uninstalled it, that and the fact that it does not have the native camera application.

It does have Gcam and another stock one but it doesn't utilize all four cameras and that annoyed me..

Honestly wouldn't overcharge any phone either, I've been over this a million times, it will damage the phone, it's not if it's when.

It'll still last the day on QHD, I just don't appreciate the extra pixels Vs battery, 120hz is more to my liking.

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
whether you're on OOS (like I am)

I'm debating myself between these 2 options.
1. stay on the stock ROM for as long as possible and then switch to the PE when OnePlus stops updating the 8 Pro
or
2. install the PE as soon as my phone arrives

My assumption is doing incremental updates with the PE would be much less painful exercises than a big switch from stock to the PE 2-3 years from now. In the latter case, I probably have to wipe my phone clean to install the PE because a dirty flash is simply a poor idea. That means I have to reinstall and reconfigure all apps. Certainly, I can use Titanium Backup but it is very time consuming when I have 100+ apps on my phone.

Howwever, I am not sure if my assumption is valid. Can I really do incremental updates with the PE without reinstalling all apps? I am curious to hear your thought. Thank you

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
I'm debating myself between these 2 options.
1. stay on the stock ROM for as long as possible and then switch to the PE when OnePlus stops updating the 8 Pro
or
2. install the PE as soon as my phone arrives

My assumption is doing incremental updates with the PE would be much less painful exercises than a big switch from stock to the PE 2-3 years from now. In the latter case, I probably have to wipe my phone clean to install the PE because a dirty flash is simply a poor idea. That means I have to reinstall and reconfigure all apps. Certainly, I can use Titanium Backup but it is very time consuming when I have 100+ apps on my phone.

Howwever, I am not sure if my assumption is valid. Can I really do incremental updates with the PE without reinstalling all apps? I am curious to hear your thought. Thank you

1. I'm on stock but have xXx and R-Ice installed, allows a lot of tweaks and changes, both visual and under the hood.

2. Im not too sure as haven't flashed it, AFAIK PE I think is built on a particular base so should work incrementally, if not then just flash a firmware in TWRP and then flash PE back.

Not ideal doing a dirty flash I usually full wipe.

Titanium needn't take a long time, make sure you're using the batch actions from the pro version, it's rapid compared to 1 at a time, the 865 can blitz through apps, or just delete some apps lol you've got twice as many as me, surely don't need them all.

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015

I checked out OnePlus' track record of updating their stock ROM. OnePlus 2, for example, was launched with Lollipop in 2015. They upgraded it to Marshmellow in 2016, and that was it. It's becoming more and more common that an app needs at least Nougat to run. Do you worry about your OS would become outdated in a few years?

This is certainly a non-issue if you change your phone every few years, or wipe it clean to install a custom ROM when the time comes.

---------- Post added 10th October 2020 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 9th October 2020 at 11:55 PM ----------

Anyone notice when using the camera in an app like twitter to post it zooms in and than freezes after you take a picture,?

Changing the subject on you. I remember you were experimenting with Elemental X kernel. How do you like it? Any specifics you can share? If I remember correctly, since PE locks to QHD, you were trying to save some battery power with this kernel.

Are you in general happy with PE other than QHD? Thank you

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't use customs anymore, got tired of basic phone features not working. I'm also not on visible anymore because they suck.

Well it is definitely your prerogative to not use custom roms. Custom ROMs are made by users out of their free time and effort. Depending on the developer size / team support system, updates can be few and far between and again most of these people are doing it in their spare time.

Additionally, ROMs can be buggy by Nature. If a user hasn't done their research and looking at the open bugs and or sifting through the most recent post in a thread to see if there's any known issues, then they are partly to blame themselves.

GtwTyCR.png

PixelExperience for OnePlus 8 Pro [instantnoodlep]

What is this?
    Pixel Experience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, bootanimation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 10.0

Whats working?
    Wifi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint reader
    NFC
    Lights
    Sound / vibration

Known issues
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download

Installation

Make sure you have flashed stock oos on both slot, you can skip step A & B if you alredy done, but for first time you have to do

A) Flashing OOS on slot A

1. reboot to fastboot
    2. open cmd and type
    fastboot --set-active=a
    3. now you on slot A
    4. now open fastboot firmware folder and click flash all.bat
    5. it will flash oos on slot A and automatically reboot to system (no need complete setup)

B) Flashing OOS on slot B

1. reboot to fastboot
    2. open cmd and type
    fastboot --set-active=b
    3. now you on slot B
    4. now open fastboot firmware folder and click flash all.bat
    5. it will flash oos on slot B and automatically reboot to system (no need complete setup)

C) Flashing custom rom

1. Extract rom zip and payload.bin
    2. reboot to fastboot
    3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. fastboot flash boot boot.img
    5. fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    6. fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    7. fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
    8. fastboot reboot fastboot
    9. fastboot flash system system.img
    10. fastboot flash product product.img
    11. reboot to recovert
    12. factory data rest
    13. reboot system

Enjoy your custom rom :)

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Device Specified Telegram Group
    Our blog

XDA:DevDB Information
    Pixel Experience 10, ROM for the OnePlus 8 Pro

Contributors
    chandra1.jd
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: OOS 10, Latest Stable
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-09-23
    Last Updated 2020-10-02
    I still enjoy custom roms on XDA!!😎🙂🌠
    Well it is definitely your prerogative to not use custom roms. Custom ROMs are made by users out of their free time and effort. Depending on the developer size / team support system, updates can be few and far between and again most of these people are doing it in their spare time.

Additionally, ROMs can be buggy by Nature. If a user hasn't done their research and looking at the open bugs and or sifting through the most recent post in a thread to see if there's any known issues, then they are partly to blame themselves.
    Thanks for the PSA, but I'm not at all new to this. I've been on xda since before android existed. Google and the oems are making it more difficult every year... Android basically peaked with slimrom/ics, from a custom standpoint.
    Can you add disable nightshift on FOD
    i don't think anybody care about android 10, go to 11!