[ROM][10.0][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Wileyfox Swift

Search This thread

UNLUCKY67

Jan 21, 2015
I guess that could be the problem.
Can you try flashing the lastest firmware from here: https://cyanogenupdatetracker.com/downloads/
SW27-WF-CRACKLING-CM-13.1.5-ZNH2KAS7EB-RECOVERY.zip
It should be Cyanogen 13 (Android 6). You can use TWRP for that.
Afterwards flash the lineage zip.

Thanks - it worked! I now have a working OS, I am so pleased.
I do still have a problem not sure if you could help as not entirely sure what has caused it.
Although I can receive and make calls and send texts I am not receiving texts (SMS) on my SIM 1 (giffgaff). Other sim seems to be working (And I could send a text from one sim to the other on the phone)
I've tried every thing I can find online (manual roaming etc) Put the Sim in a different phone and after a while I got 4 texts from one sender, but no others (have family sending me test sms).
I restored texts an old backup on google drive, there were thousands. I have tried to delete some in messenger but they don't seem to be being deleted. Currently backing them up to email. I'll then try and clear the data in messenger. Is it possible to reinstall just the messenger?
Also my google email (even after installing gmail) is showing as I have an empty inbox - (says 'you've finished - nothing in inbox' with a cartoon of someone relaxing, reading a book....) if only that was really the case .
Thanks again ...at least I now have hope of getting back a fully working phone and it is a lot faster than it was....

UNLUCKY67

Jan 21, 2015
Update - I have now got it all working properly. in the end I did a complete wipe and reinstalled Lineage OS (which had been updated today).
My recovery is now the lineage one.
Thanks again for your help...

RunnersHai

Oct 20, 2020
No SIM-Cards anymore despite serveral restarts

I got the latest version of crackling from the 17.10.2020. But even on the day before somehow the SIM-Cards can't be recognized anymore. I have no idea why. I changed nothing, in fact my Swift was just laying on the table – and when I picked it up the next time the cards were gone. It's really weird.

I swapped them, tried to clean the slots – without a change. Sometimes when I do a reboot a message pops up, saying the Android Services Library has tried to start several times without succeeding. I don't know, if it has to do anything with it.

Is it software or a hardware problem. Is it an option to push the /e/ OS on the device? But it would be an downgrade. I have read that it could brick the phone.

So thankful for any help.

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
I got the latest version of crackling from the 17.10.2020. But even on the day before somehow the SIM-Cards can't be recognized anymore. I have no idea why. I changed nothing, in fact my Swift was just laying on the table – and when I picked it up the next time the cards were gone. It's really weird.

I swapped them, tried to clean the slots – without a change. Sometimes when I do a reboot a message pops up, saying the Android Services Library has tried to start several times without succeeding. I don't know, if it has to do anything with it.

Is it software or a hardware problem. Is it an option to push the /e/ OS on the device? But it would be an downgrade. I have read that it could brick the phone.

So thankful for any help.

It sounds like a hardware issue for me.
Of course you can install /e/. However, the latest version for the swift is based on nougat as far as I remember. Really bricking the device is actually hard. As long as you don't relock the bootloader and lock yourself out that way.

You could also try the last official marshmallow version from here and check if the problem persists. If yes it's definitely a hw related problem.

RunnersHai

Oct 20, 2020
I guess you are right ...

... but in a total different way as I had assumed.
It sounds like a hardware issue for me.
Of course you can install /e/. However, the latest version for the swift is based on nougat as far as I remember. Really bricking the device is actually hard. As long as you don't relock the bootloader and lock yourself out that way.

You could also try the last official marshmallow version from.
As newbie I'm not allowed to post links, so I had to delete it. If you need the link look into the original post.

Yes, it seems that you are right. I tested everything: Marshmallow, /e/ and LineageOS without root. Nothing worked. Then I put the SIM-Cards into another phone to use it as substitute until I have bought a new one. Surprise, they doesn't work there either. Now I'm waiting for the new SIM-Cards – hopefully this was the reason. Would be a lot of work, but cheap :)

Thanks a lot for your support. It was very helpful to get to the ground of the problem.

RunnersHai

Oct 20, 2020
Two broken SIM-Cards

Yes, it seems that you are right. I tested everything: Marshmallow, /e/ and LineageOS without root. Nothing worked. Then I put the SIM-Cards into another phone to use it as substitute until I have bought a new one. .

Yeah, in the end it was so easy. The reason for not recognizing the SIM-cards was, they were broken – both at the same time. I don't know how this happened, but it has. And now, after a long journey, everything works fine again.:good::cool:
Thanks again for the support.

TitanFoxX

Nov 1, 2012
Hi all,

I did a clean install of LOS 17.1 on my Wileyfox Swift. Everything works, except receiving text messages via SMS. I can send alright, but I receive none.

I tried both SIM card slots with two different SIM cards (two different ISP's). Unfortunately without success. These cards work fine in another smartphone and worked fine with the original Wileyfox firmware.

In this thread there was somebody else with the same issue.

I am using the last build version at the moment (31-10-2020), but the issue was also in the older 17-10-2020 version.

Sincerely,
Ruud.

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Hi all,

I did a clean install of LOS 17.1 on my Wileyfox Swift. Everything works, except receiving text messages via SMS. I can send alright, but I receive none.

I tried both SIM card slots with two different SIM cards (two different ISP's). Unfortunately without success. These cards work fine in another smartphone and worked fine with the original Wileyfox firmware.

In this thread there was somebody else with the same issue.

I am using the last build version at the moment (31-10-2020), but the issue was also in the older 17-10-2020 version.

Sincerely,
Ruud.

Can you please open a bug report according to https://wiki.lineageos.org/bugreport-howto.html ? :)

Floyd-74

Aug 16, 2018
Hello 115ek,
thank you for your good work with this ROM.
Will there be a Lineage 18 for Wileyfox Swift?
Would be nice if it stayed with us.

Greetz, Floyd

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Hello 115ek,
thank you for your good work with this ROM.
Will there be a Lineage 18 for Wileyfox Swift?
Would be nice if it stayed with us.

Greetz, Floyd

I fear official builds will be impossible due to space limitations (gapps won't fit)
However, unofficially it may work.
I already compiled an image - just for checking how 18 looks like. Bluetooth is broken, though. You can find it here.
I was really busy the last months, but I hope there will be some free time in december. :)

Reactions: killerbees19

Floyd-74

Aug 16, 2018
hello 115ek,
Thanks for your answer, I installed the lineage-18.0-20201029-UNOFFICIAL-crackling.zip with flamegapps-basic 11 and magisk 21.1. Everything worked, the system memory partition is 99% full, but everything works including Google.
That was a little annoying without warning my recovery TWRP was overwritten with the Lineage Recovery, I flashed TWRP Recovery afterwards with adb.
But it would have been avoidable if I had flashed it again in the TWRP. Besides the well-known Bluetooth problem,
SE-Linux and the boot recovery setting are all good so far.
Thanks for your information, Floyd :good:

Last edited:

didyou

Aug 14, 2010
Antalya
Hello to everyone. The phone freezes and becomes unresponsive when I enter lineage recovery mode and try to Apply Update? Right now my computer is problematic and I cannot install TWRP. I want to use it to root. Thank you.

petexd

Dec 2, 2017
I still can't get twrp to restore a backup. I get the bootloop. I tried your 18.1 and wiped the phone then tried the restore the backup. It must partially restore because if I re-install the official rom without wiping I get back to my original settings.

dereglon

Jan 19, 2017
Are there also some older builds then the last 4 available?
With the current ones after the flash it always ends up in the boot options, pushing android only restarts it in the bootoptions again.
The version 20201031 still works.

My last comment on this discussion:

1. Contributions are welcome every time. If you can contribute something constructive feel free to do so. If you repair the adoptable storage I'd be happy to include it again.

Hi, during the holidays I found time to wipe the Fox, clean-installed LineageOS 16, and did extensive testing. No SD-card failure whatsoever since.

Thus I stick to my theory, that there is a bug in L'17.

With best wishes for 2021!

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
My phone will not open settings, SMS, file transfer... since installation of

Can you please open a bug ticket? Follow the hints on https://wiki.lineageos.org/ under the point Report bugs!

Are there also some older builds then the last 4 available?
With the current ones after the flash it always ends up in the boot options, pushing android only restarts it in the bootoptions again.
The version 20201031 still works.
I couldn't reproduce your problem with latest lineage-17.1-20210116-nightly-crackling-signed.zip build. I did a clean install with lineage recovery.
Did you run any modifications?
Are you on the cyanogen 13 firmware? https://lineage.harryyoud.co.uk/292682/6/devices/crackling/install#installing-the-correct-firmware

Hi, during the holidays I found time to wipe the Fox, clean-installed LineageOS 16, and did extensive testing. No SD-card failure whatsoever since.

Thus I stick to my theory, that there is a bug in L'17.

With best wishes for 2021!
I guess it's an aosp bug rather than a lineage one. Google dropped support for adoptable storage.

dereglon

Jan 19, 2017
I couldn't reproduce your problem with latest lineage-17.1-20210116-nightly-crackling-signed.zip build. I did a clean install with lineage recovery.
Did you run any modifications?
Are you on the cyanogen 13 firmware? https://lineage.harryyoud.co.uk/292682/6/devices/crackling/install#installing-the-correct-firmware

Thanks for the hint, yes it is the right cyanogen firmware.

The only modification I could immagine is Magisk, I updated it now from version 20 to 21.4, could these maybe have an effect?
If I try to update it, just in case, it will end up in the bootloader again, could you maybe provide me the build from the end of October?

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
The only modification I could immagine is Magisk, I updated it now from version 20 to 21.4, could these maybe have an effect?
If I try to update it, just in case, it will end up in the bootloader again, could you maybe provide me the build from the end of October?
Magisk could cause problems. Why do you need to upgrade from 20 to 21.4?
Maybe you should open a magisk bug report.
If it really is a magisk related problem, you should be able to recover your non-booting device with reflashing the original bootimage.
Just unpack the boot.img from the latest lineage zip, enter fastboot mode and flash it with fastboot flash boot boot.img.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remembered I had a spare Swift with a cracked screen (which had been running 16.0, also with TWRP 3.2.0-0) so I had a go at applying my partitioning instructions. The partition table was exactly the same except for some reason /system was showing as ext4 instead of ext2, so I specified ext4 when recreating partition 25 with mkpart. On creating partitions 25, 26 and 31 (I think) I got a warning about them not being properly aligned which I just ignored. Also this time around I didn't run mkfs.ext4 on partitions 28 and 29 before restoring the dumps and it all worked just fine.
    Code:
    [COLOR="Purple"]#include <std_disclaimer.h>[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Navy"]/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */[/COLOR]

Installation:
    If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended Lineage recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
    If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
    As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

More detailed instructions at:
    Install LineageOS on crackling

Official Download link:
    LineageOS Downloads

115ek's test builds (for testers only)
    Downloads

Recommended Google Apps package:
    Open GApps (pico only)

Changelog:
    Changes for crackling

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS
    Wait… I understand that resizing /system is needed in order to Treble-ise the Wileyfox Swift.
    Does that mean that you've managed to do it ? Could you tell me how ?
    Now, I only tried this because it was a spare phone and I was prepared to risk bricking it completely, but it went like this:
    Booted phone into TWRP (version 3.2.0.0, for the record) with a blank SD card installed, reformatted card as ext4 so I could dump large files onto it. Downloaded parted and mkfs.ext4, adb push'ed them into /sbin, then ran adb shell and chmod 755'ed /sbin/parted and /sbin/mkfs.ext4 so I could run them. Used "parted /dev/block/mmcblk0" to print out the current partition table using "unit s" and "p" so I could take a note of the starting and ending sectors. For me, the system partition started on sector 724064, recovery on 3869792, and userdata on 4568064 ending on 30535646. Then this:
    cd /data tar cvpf /sdcard1/data.tar . cd / umount /data umount /cache umount /sdcard dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard1/system.part bs=1k dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 of=/sdcard1/recovery.part bs=1k dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 of=/sdcard1/odm.part bs=1k dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p28 of=/sdcard1/persist.part bs=1k dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29 of=/sdcard1/cache.part bs=1k dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 of=/sdcard1/frp.part bs=1k
    So I now have partition 31 (/data) dumped to a tar file, and a raw dump of every other partition from 25 (/system) upwards - don't actually need a dump of /system itself but I took one for safety. Then I removed every partition from 25 upwards - at this point, incidentally, if it goes wrong, be it through typo or power loss, that's the ballgame:
    parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 rm 31 rm 30 rm 29 rm 28 rm 27 rm 26 rm 25
    Worked out the new starting and ending sectors to make /system 50% larger, claiming the space from /data. I recreated partitions 25 to 31 - there's an unused gap between 27 (odm) and 28 (persist) which I preserved, not sure if that's necessary. Still within parted, that went like this, bearing in mind that these figures would only stand a chance of working if your partitions started on the same sectors as mine:
    unit s mkpart 25 ext2 724064 5442655 name 25 system mkpart 26 5442656 5508191 name 26 recovery mkpart 27 5508192 5639263 name 27 odm mkpart 28 ext4 5767168 5832703 name 28 persist mkpart 29 ext4 5832704 6139903 name 29 cache mkpart 30 6139904 6140927 name 30 frp mkpart 31 ext4 6140928 30535646 name 31 userdata
    I think parted might have been displaying a warning about the partition ID for each mkpart command - not sure, but it worked anyway. Then I quit out of parted. Next step was to resize the system partition and create ext4 filesystems for persist, cache and userdata:
    e2fsck -f /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 resize2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 mkfs.ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 mkfs.ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p29 mkfs.ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p31
    Then I restored the partition dumps:
    dd if=/sdcard1/recovery.part of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 bs=1k dd if=/sdcard1/odm.part of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 bs=1k dd if=/sdcard1/persist.part of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p28 bs=1k dd if=/sdcard1/cache.part of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29 bs=1k dd if=/sdcard1/frp.part of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 bs=1k mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p31 /data cd /data tar xvpf /sdcard1/data.tar .
    One reboot later, I was back in business with a larger system partition. 18.1 installed fine with MindTheGApps - at least once I'd flashed the proper Lineage recovery. (It was actually only after I went back to 17.1 later on that I restored /data from my backup.) Of course any use you make of this information is entirely at your own risk and I can provide no assistance with recovering borked phones etc. etc. :D
    Last time I tried it worked. But you're right - the available space on /system is very rare. I already made some "hacks" to free up some space. You could try to overcome this by installing an older pico gapps package from here which is smaller. It'll update itself if you connect to a wifi network anyway.
    Another thing you could try is using FlameGapps. The final thing would be resizing the /system partition.
    In 2018, there was a way to resize the partitions of the Wileyfox Swift, but it's since apparently been taken down : see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-treble-project-treble-for-wileyfox-swift.3841262/

Has anyone managed to keep a copy of the tool and associated instructions ?
    The "old" Lineage 17.1 thread got lost during some xda server maintenance. It's not really clear to me what happened.
    It couldn't be brought back for several weeks now, so I decided to create a new thread.

I'd also like to inform you that I'll provide some test builds here. Before merging bigger changes I'd like to ensure the builds are okay (not just for me).
    It would be nice if some of you could test a bit. Only caveat: You won't be able to switch between test builds/official builds easily as different signature keys are used and a factory reset is needed (alternatively flashing a migration file could save you from resetting the device (more info)). However, these test builds are thought for interested persons only ;)
    You'll find the first test build here.
    Changes:
    • switch to userspace lmkd (more info here)
    It would be interesting if you experience any differences in memory management (how many apps can be opened in background, how fast is app switching, when are apps closed...).
    And of course if the system is usable at all.
    Remembered I had a spare Swift with a cracked screen (which had been running 16.0, also with TWRP 3.2.0-0) so I had a go at applying my partitioning instructions. The partition table was exactly the same except for some reason /system was showing as ext4 instead of ext2, so I specified ext4 when recreating partition 25 with mkpart. On creating partitions 25, 26 and 31 (I think) I got a warning about them not being properly aligned which I just ignored. Also this time around I didn't run mkfs.ext4 on partitions 28 and 29 before restoring the dumps and it all worked just fine.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone