• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL [Alpha] [2021-07-14]

Search This thread

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
Oh wow. Way different. Turns out I was using an OTA-specific ROM from a different drive link sent to me by Unihertz a while back, and it's significantly different internally from the one in the drive page you posted. Good to know. Using the non-OTA version worked fine, thanks for helping me sort that out. I wonder if it would have flashed when I was stuck previously.

Since I've got my old Atom up and running again, I ended up flashing the XL back to the LOS ROM again to see if I could get calling to work. Still can't so far, despite manually choosing the network, but data and SMS work fine. I had T-Mobile push me updates to try to fix it, but no dice. Of course I told them I reset the phone, not that I flashed it ;) . They're supposed to get back to me tomorrow with an update on the issue, so hopefully we can figure out what's going on. In the mean time, I think I'll tinker with getting things set up the way I want in LOS. Worst case is the issue ends up being somewhere in your device tree or something and I'll have an LOS backup to try later after it hypothetically gets sorted.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a good suggestion for swapping the back/task view buttons in LOS? I found something that has to be built manually, but I figured I'd ask first in case there's something more convenient.

Last edited:

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Oh wow. Way different. Turns out I was using an OTA-specific ROM from a different drive link sent to me by Unihertz a while back, and it's significantly different internally from the one in the drive page you posted. Good to know. Using the non-OTA version worked fine, thanks for helping me sort that out. I wonder if it would have flashed when I was stuck previously.
Glad you got that sorted out.
Since I've got my old Atom up and running again, I ended up flashing the XL back to the LOS ROM again to see if I could get calling to work. Still can't so far, despite manually choosing the network, but data and SMS work fine. I had T-Mobile push me updates to try to fix it, but no dice. Of course I told them I reset the phone, not that I flashed it ;) . They're supposed to get back to me tomorrow with an update on the issue, so hopefully we can figure out what's going on. In the mean time, I think I'll tinker with getting things set up the way I want in LOS. Worst case is the issue ends up being somewhere in your device tree or something and I'll have an LOS backup to try later after it hypothetically gets sorted.
When data and SMS are working there could indeed be a problem with VoLTE. My guess is that as soon as the carrier promotes VoLTE it gets activated and because of an unknown error it gets stuck that way and cannot be turned off. Problem is, like I wrote earlier, that I don't have an VoLTE option on my mobile contract to test that.
Meanwhile, does anyone have a good suggestion for swapping the back/task view buttons in LOS? I found something that has to be built manually, but I figured I'd ask first in case there's something more convenient.
You mean like settings -> system -> keys ?

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
When data and SMS are working there could indeed be a problem with VoLTE. My guess is that as soon as the carrier promotes VoLTE it gets activated and because of an unknown error it gets stuck that way and cannot be turned off. Problem is, like I wrote earlier, that I don't have an VoLTE option on my mobile contract to test that.
I have a very bad feeling about this (at least for me).
Since I'm from europe I used the SEEA variant of the stock rom for building mine. For non europe there is the STEE variant. I always thought the only differences are the bundled apps/libraries because of legal issues. But the more I think about it the more I believe it's not that simple. You having problems with your carrier and others don't, the kernel being a different size and so on. If my hunch is correct that means I need to build 8 roms in total:
SEEA Lineage for Atom XL
SEEA TWRP for Atom XL
EEA Lineage for Atom L
EEA TWRP for Atom L
STEE Lineage for Atom XL
STEE TWRP for Atom XL
TEE Lineage for Atom L
TEE TWRP for Atom L

For that I need to restructure my build environment drastically. So I will do one more (S)EEA release with the latest security updates for Lineage and TWRP with my old environment and then begin the changing.

Last edited:

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
I have a very bad feeling about this (at least for me).
Since I'm from europe I used the SEEA variant of the stock rom for building mine. For non europe there is the STEE variant. I always thought the only differences are the bundled apps/libraries because of legal issues. But the more I think about it the more I believe it's not that simple. You having problems with your carrier and others don't, the kernel being a different size and so on. If my hunch is correct that means I need to build 8 roms in total:
SEEA Lineage for Atom XL
SEEA TWRP for Atom XL
EEA Lineage for Atom L
EEA TWRP for Atom L
STEE Lineage for Atom XL
STEE TWRP for Atom XL
TEE Lineage for Atom L
TEE TWRP for Atom L

For that I need to restructure my build environment drastically. So I will do one more (S)EEA release with the latest security updates for Lineage and TWRP with my old environment and then begin the changing.
The thought crossed my mind when the volume level warning popped up while using it to play music in the car. The stock STEE ROM doesn't do that... which was a nice breath of fresh air compared to every other phone I've used for that purpose in recent memory. I remember reading years ago that the warning is for compliance with EU laws while researching how to get rid of it (invariably requiring root). Apparently, most manufacturers just don't bother not including it (and who knows what else) in their non-EU devices.

Additionally, I would think that disabling VoLTE and/or using Wi-Fi calling would make it work, but they don't. The former is more understandable because I've also read that US carriers tend to try to force you into VoLTE where available, but Wi-Fi calling not working makes no sense to me. I've used it in foreign countries without cell service, so I don't see why an inability to connect to the local cell network properly should affect anything. Of course, TMobile hasn't come back with an update despite saying they would within 24 hrs. Shocker. Hadn't had the chance to bother them again but now I'm wondering if it's even worth trying before getting to test your TEE release.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the difference between the S and non-S variants? I only see S variants in their drive.

You mean like settings -> system -> keys ?

I only saw options for the "home", "recents" and non-existent "search" buttons there, and no options that would allow swapping the recents and back keys around. I got sick of the mind games so I did eventually go ahead and build and install this: NavButtonRemap. Works perfectly. It shows up as an accessibility service and has options based on screen orientation. Might even be worth including just because the stock ROM also includes a key switching option, also under accessibility IIRC.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Also, out of curiosity, what is the difference between the S and non-S variants? I only see S variants in their drive.
S = Atom XL
non-S = Atom L
I only saw options for the "home", "recents" and non-existent "search" buttons there, and no options that would allow swapping the recents and back keys around. I got sick of the mind games so I did eventually go ahead and build and install this: NavButtonRemap. Works perfectly. It shows up as an accessibility service and has options based on screen orientation. Might even be worth including just because the stock ROM also includes a key switching option, also under accessibility IIRC.
Now I understand what you meant: "back" is no option for key assigment and therefore also no configurable key.
This is set in keyboard-layout in the device tree. I'll look and see if there is a setting in LOS to get this key as assignment too.
btw. "search" is the big read button on the side of the phone (LOS doesn't offer a better "named" option for this assignment)

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
So I've downloaded all the STEE assets. When I tried to flash over the previous LOS install (including the wipe steps), I got the black screen issue again. So I reflashed stock with SP and followed through the first-time install steps. For whatever reason, it boots into the Chinese menu instead of TWRP, even if I don't let it boot back to stock first. Maybe the STEE recovery image file is accidentally the wrong file?

Now I understand what you meant: "back" is no option for key assigment and therefore also no configurable key.
This is set in keyboard-layout in the device tree. I'll look and see if there is a setting in LOS to get this key as assignment too.
btw. "search" is the big read button on the side of the phone (LOS doesn't offer a better "named" option for this assignment)
Would it be possible to add in options like flashlight activation for key assignments? In stock I had it set up for long press on red to toggle flashlight, double press on red for screenshot. They also had the option to make it the PTT key for Intercom (even if a bit silly to have to change back and forth manually).

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
So I've downloaded all the STEE assets. When I tried to flash over the previous LOS install (including the wipe steps), I got the black screen issue again. So I reflashed stock with SP and followed through the first-time install steps. For whatever reason, it boots into the Chinese menu instead of TWRP, even if I don't let it boot back to stock first. Maybe the STEE recovery image file is accidentally the wrong file?
I just checked (downloaded) and it's the same file as in the OUT-Folder of TWRP. So no accidental mix-up.
The only time I had the chinieese menu was when I accidentially pressed vol-down instead of vol-up.
(Nearly gave me a heartattack)
I can't do anything until monday because I'm not at my place anymore. That's why I had to rush to get everything done yesterday. Maybe there are some mix-ups but the TWRP STEE is none of it. Next week I'll have time to test the TWRP recoveries individually but I fear that everything will be working fine as I never had any issues on that front. As with the LOS variants I don't want to go through the struggle of setting up four different installs as it's my only device and daily driver. So I'm depending on others to test and give me feedback.
So anyway, one step at a time, first we need to figure out why TWRP is refusing to work on your device.
Would it be possible to add in options like flashlight activation for key assignments? In stock I had it set up for long press on red to toggle flashlight, double press on red for screenshot. They also had the option to make it the PTT key for Intercom (even if a bit silly to have to change back and forth manually).
I haven't forgotton about this. As soon as we figured out the other issue I'll look into this.

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
I just checked (downloaded) and it's the same file as in the OUT-Folder of TWRP. So no accidental mix-up.
The only time I had the chinieese menu was when I accidentially pressed vol-down instead of vol-up.
(Nearly gave me a heartattack)
Turns out I was doing the same thing, down instead of up. Big relief there.

On the other hand, the LOS install is failing. I'll take it to GitHub.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
I just updated the install guide for troubleshooting a problem that might occour on partition resizing during the installation as I recently raised the size of "system" partition to support bigger gapps variants. In the case of this error the "super" partition needs to be resized beforhand. To make it easier for everyone I provided an already resized copy of "super.img" for all four device variants including the latest stock "vendor" partition.

Bonus:
In the future this could also be used to update "vendor" if unihertz ever decides to do another update without the need to flash stock rom beforehand.

Last edited:

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
I've got the STEE version installed and running, so the super.img file works.

Still have the same issue with calling though. I actually don't even see the wi-fi calling and VoLTE options this time, though from looking around I think that may be a consequence of not being able to connect to the network properly? In any case, the bright, young team at T-Mobile is going to send me a new SIM for some reason, despite knowing that the one I have works in my backup and did work on this phone :rolleyes:. Really wish I could just tell them it's a custom ROM and to put an engineer on the line...

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
I've got the STEE version installed and running, so the super.img file works.

Still have the same issue with calling though. I actually don't even see the wi-fi calling and VoLTE options this time, though from looking around I think that may be a consequence of not being able to connect to the network properly? In any case, the bright, young team at T-Mobile is going to send me a new SIM for some reason, despite knowing that the one I have works in my backup and did work on this phone :rolleyes:. Really wish I could just tell them it's a custom ROM and to put an engineer on the line...
I think I know now what I did wrong. Will do an updated release ASAP.

SepticFuddy

Oct 3, 2019
I just deleted v20210415 from my releases and replaced it with v20210421.
I forgot to extract the vendor blobs in the previous build. Now everything is included as it should have been in the first place. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Calling works. Thanks for sorting that out! The signal seems to be a bit wonky so far but it was enough to get everything activated and enable wi-fi calling. Not sure that that is an issue with the ROM though. EDIT: After rebooting while in town yesterday, the intermittence issues seem to be sorted out. Despite nominally having 3-4 bars out in the mountains where I live, there seems to be an issue with being able to update the profile out here. So if anyone else has issues with calling/texting being real finnicky in a low pop area, you may want to try a reboot in a nearby population center. Everything seems to be stable for me since last night.

Also seems to have fixed the issue I had in stock where nobody could hear me on speakerphone during a normal phone call (but it worked just fine on Signal calls). So that's a nice bonus.

Last edited:

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Has anyone here compared this LOS with GSI versions (LOS, AOSP etc.)?
Not really. In the beginning I looked into project treble but I didn't understand the structure of the project itself so I set up my own device tree... with black jack and hookers ;)
But it shouldn't be that hard to get everything treble ready as I'm not tinkering with "vendor". You're welcome to give it a try, I don't see any benefit though.

Reactions: landsome

landsome

May 4, 2015
Not really. In the beginning I looked into project treble but I didn't understand the structure of the project itself so I set up my own device tree... with black jack and hookers ;)
But it shouldn't be that hard to get everything treble ready as I'm not tinkering with "vendor". You're welcome to give it a try, I don't see any benefit though.
Thanks. I have just flashed the v305 of the phh AOSP, mostly out of frustration because I cannot either boot to fastboot(d) with TWRP (reboots back to recovery) or start ADB from recovery (ADB starts but hangs and does not even cancel). (Tried several versions of TWRP, including the latest.)

I was encouraged by PeterCxy over on the Jelly 2 reddit forum. AOSP seems to work well, with minor glitches known from other MTK devices (e.g., echo during calls, cured by v305 except on BT; no audio volume change during calls). Unfortunately, it does not cure my main problem with stock, which is annoying BT cuts and interruptions when there is any sustained activity on wifi 2.4 (works fine on 5ghz).

Unihertz told me the issue will be solved on their coming Android 11 release, but apparently not on AOSP 11.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Hey a-dead-trousers. :)

It's nice to know someone's working on LineageOS for these devices, which, unsurprisingly have already been abandoned by Unihertz. Sigh. For the life of me I can't understand why smaller manufacturers don't just start with LineageOS, and then let the community take over.

I've got an XL, managed to get TWRP running, and the latest build installed (only after flashing the super.img you provided). Though flashing super.img seems to resolve the partitioning error, I did notice that TWRP also complains it "Failed to mount '/system_root' (Permission denied)" .. same root cause?

On reboot, it sits at the black Unihertz screen for about ~3 minutes, then reboots into TWRP. Subsequent boots are much faster, but always directly into TWRP. Can't adb logcat during the initial boot.

I'm using the TEE / nonEU version of everything. Is this hardware-specific? What's the actual difference between the two?

Any idea how I can get log data during boot?

Thanks for everything. I'd be more than happy to contribute (did a fair bit of kernel and rom dev back in the day, but it's been a while. :p

edit I just noticed TWRP has a new error message after rebooting from a failed system boot:

Android Rescue Party trigger! Possible solutions? Either: 1. Wipe caches, and/or 2. Format data, and/or 3. Clean-flash your ROM The reported problem is: '--reason=RescueParty'

Will research.

edit2 I found something interesting. In /data/tombstone there was a log from the last boot. Looks like something weird is happening with volte_imcb:

LineageOS Version: '17.1-20210510-UNOFFICIAL-Atom_XL_TEE' Build fingerprint: 'Unihertz/Atom_XL/Atom_XL:10/QP1A.190711.020/root.20200928.094206:user/release-keys' Revision: '0' ABI: 'arm' Timestamp: 2021-05-11 21:35:26+0000 pid: 846, tid: 846, name: volte_imcb >>> /vendor/bin/volte_imcb <<< uid: 1000 signal 15 (?), code -6 (SI_TKILL), fault addr -------- r0 fffffffc r1 00000089 r2 000000a8 r3 00000000 r4 00000000 r5 ffffffff r6 06fc1ba0 r7 000000f0 r8 000000a8 r9 ea111004 r10 0000006f r11 ffaa3d30 ip ffaa3ca0 sp ffaa3c90 lr ea4e9fbd pc ea4e4bd0

edit3 Hah, success! I don't know if it's a hardware thing, but I flashed the EU version of the offical rom with SP_Flash_Tool, then your EU build, and that did the trick. Wonder if that VOLTE issue was a coincidence or caused by the wrong ROM. Interestingly, both the official EU and TEE builds ran fine. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why the FM radio audio isn't working? I'll start having a look.

yet another edit lol It looks like the Intercom audio might be broken along with the FM radio.. no sound when set to squelch level 0. Can anyone else verify on the latest build?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Good news my fellow Atom XL Users: DMR is working (kind of) even in the current release! :)

BUT

only with a freeset :confused:

During my struggles to get the mediatek code integrated into LOS I encountered many problems. One was that I muted the phone entirely. So with every step I took I did a full sound check including audio jack and headphones. That's how I found out that the sound of the DMR was working all along even without any modifications. It's just not able to "access" the built in microphone and speaker.
    This feels quite familiar as I had some issues with the audio jack in the beginning but the other way round. So maybe some settings I changed to get the audio jack to work were counteracting this.

Just to let you all know, that there is still some progress on my part.
    Good news my fellow Atom XL Users: DMR is working (kind of) even in the current release! :)

BUT

only with a freeset :confused:

During my struggles to get the mediatek code integrated into LOS I encountered many problems. One was that I muted the phone entirely. So with every step I took I did a full sound check including audio jack and headphones. That's how I found out that the sound of the DMR was working all along even without any modifications. It's just not able to "access" the built in microphone and speaker.
    This feels quite familiar as I had some issues with the audio jack in the beginning but the other way round. So maybe some settings I changed to get the audio jack to work were counteracting this.

Just to let you all know, that there is still some progress on my part.
    Hi everyone!

I am not sure whether I have ever posted on these forums at all, but this one got me seriously intrigued and for the first time I felt the sudden urge to jump in and assist if I can.

Just received my Atom XL yesterday afternoon (which seems to be just the best phone I have ever owned), and I have started to look for options to replace the stock ROM or at least root it so I can remove the bloat and Google crap before I actually start using the phone as a phone.

I am really happy to see we already have a working Lineage build for this - so huge thanks to everyone for the efforts so far!

My other phone is a Blackview BV9100 for which there was not much to be found in terms of customization, and since the manufacturer software updates are non-existent I had to figure out everything by myself - which means I have some experience, so if there is anything I can provide to help fixing the current issues, just let me know. I will give a shot at rooting the XL tonight but keep the OS otherwise untouched for a while if needed. I see flashing a Magisk patched boot.img caused a bootloop for someone, so I will see if I can get it to work somehow.

In the meantime I will have a look at the issue updates on Github as well to see what is the actual status.
    First impressions: install went smoothly, I'm so happy to have a Google apps free install. I'll try features, but so far, no show stopper, it feels good!
    Thanks for all the help above on flashing with the sdtool. I've been using the 11/10 build for the past couple months and have recently updated to the 1/24 build. Already noticed a few fixes for things that I use.

Here is a list of things I encountered in the 11/10 build with notes as to what I've seen in the 1/24 build so far.

Wifi/bluetooth randomly turning off - For some reason, wifi/bluetooth would just turn off after about 1-2 days of uptime. Toggling it back on through the menu brought it back up. Unsure if resolved, need more time to test.

Bluetooth failing to connect to anything after days of uptime - After a few days, bluetooth would just die and require a restart of the phone to fix. Toggling bluetooth off/on again had no effect. Unsure if resolved, need more time to test.

Wifi calling would only work on the first wifi network connected to - A quick test of toggling off wifi and reconnecting seems to allow wifi calling to still work. Will continue to see if it continues.

Disconnecting wifi - Phone disconnects from 5GHz wifi every 30 minutes and reconnects, even with strong signal. Will disable 5GHz on the AP to see if it continues to do this tonight on 2.4GHz. This might be an issue with my AP.

UHF radio not working - Tested with my ham radio, able to broadcast and receive now.

Magisk unable to display the root access dialogue - Works now and apps can be granted root

ADB over usb sometimes not working - Haven't seen this issue yet, but it was random before. Will continue to watch for this.
    500px-Lineage_OS_logo.svg.png

Code:
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a LineageOS 17.1 ROM for the Helios P60 based Atom L (Atom_L) and Atom XL (Atom_XL), two rugged Android phone released by Unihertz in July 2020.

This ROM supports both devices as well as both regional variants!
    You need to make sure which device and variant you need!

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Not Working
    • VoLTE is working but has some issus with SELinux in enforcing mode
    • LiveDisplay is not working (and probably never will)
    • DMR (Atom XL) is working but only with a freeset
    • Face Unlock isn't available
    • You tell me

Releases
    Atom L EEA (european union)
    Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Atom XL TEE (non-european union)

How to install
    How to update
    How to upgrade

Links
    TWRP
    Common device tree
    Device tree Atom L (model)
    Device tree Atom XL (model)
    Device tree Atom L EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Device tree Atom XL TEE (non-european union)
    Bug reporting

2021-07-14
    * July security updates included
    2021-06-16
    * May vendor updates included (needs vendor to be upgraded manually)
    * June security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now
    * Nav Button Remap included
    2021-05-10
    * May security updates included
    2021-04-15 2021-04-21
    * April security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now, without sound
    * Raised the size of the system and product partition to support bigger gapps installs
    * Combining the work for the Atom L and XL
    2021-03-09
    * March security patches included
    * Built for the first time using a combined Atom L/XL device tree
    2021-02-11
    * February security patches included
    * Notification LED is working now
    * Included FMRadio app (but not working)
    2021-01-24
    * Intercom DMR is working now
    * Audio Jack fixed
    * Wifi Hotspot and USB Tethering are enabled
    2021-01-16
    * January security patches included
    * Switched to TWRP recovery
    2020-12-19
    * December security patches included
    * Updated for stock release 2020-11-04 (announced 2020-12-03), needs vendor to be updated separately
    * !!! untested (for now) !!!
    2020-11-10
    * Rom build variant is "user" and is signed with release keys
    * Recovery is still build variant "userdebug" and signed with test keys
    * November security patches included
    * Intercom doesn't crash anymore (but still doesn't work either)
    * Some apps and sepolicies included from stock rom
    2020-10-01
    * Initial Alpha build released

Help from other developers is certainly welcome. Currently only myself is working on this ROM.
    Especially for the work on the TWRP recovery I need some experts on setting up decryption correctly.

Credit and Thanks

• LineageOS team
    • @PeterCxy for starting the work on the Atom L

Enjoy! (y)

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
    a-dead-trousers
    Source Code: https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/android_device_Unihertz_Atom_LXL

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2020-10-02
    Last Updated 2021-07-14
    Readback? Does this mean SPFLash does not only do flashing operations but can also extract the rom straight from the phone?

Sure does.
    Open SP Flash Tool and go to "Readback" tab.
    Hitting "Add" creates a new entry in the list.
    Double click on an entry opens a dialog to ask where and what file to save, then which sector and physical address of emmc to readback from.
    The rest is similar to flashing: you hit "Readback" button and plug in your device while it's powered off. Wait and done.