[ROM][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL [Alpha] [2022-04-21]

Should the OTA update feature be enabled in the next build?

• Yes, I'll overlook the montly updates otherwise.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I don't have enough mobile data for a montly update cycle.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
I've successfully installed LOS.
Glad to hear that.
Some time ago I bought another Atom XL to test the various variants. The only impossible switch I encountered was if I changed from Atom L to XL and vice versa. Everytime I tried that I got the "green line"-error. So a full stock rom flash was in order. Switching between TEE and EEA was possible but I had to wipe data otherwise the encryption (best guess is that it includes the device name into the encryption key) would prevent TWRP from booting.
Is there a more flexible way to use the big red button (aka "search" button in the settings)? I can assign a limited number of actions for a short press. Although there are actions for a long press in the settings, the long press is virtually not working. Actually I want a flash light at the long press.
None that I know of. A quick search for "lineage custom actions for button" didn't bring up any useful information on that topic either.
Sadly Unihertz didn't utilize the long press feature as they only made the button available in their proprietary/modified system extension.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Bad news:
The workstation I used for my builds decided to just give up and is not booting anymore. According to the onboard LED the CPU seems to be defect. My only hope is that the PSU is the cause (EPS +12V not working). So anyway I'll need some time to get everything sorted out and working again (it's a custom watercooled setup so don't expect a quick recovery especially with the current corona "shortage" of spare parts)
Therefore I cannot promise a november update for my ROM but will try to get it in time of december. Maybe even with LOS 18.1 (looking at you unihertz).

landsome

May 4, 2015
Bad news:
The workstation I used for my builds decided to just give up and is not booting anymore. According to the onboard LED the CPU seems to be defect. My only hope is that the PSU is the cause (EPS +12V not working). So anyway I'll need some time to get everything sorted out and working again (it's a custom watercooled setup so don't expect a quick recovery especially with the current corona "shortage" of spare parts)
Therefore I cannot promise a november update for my ROM but will try to get it in time of december. Maybe even with LOS 18.1 (looking at you unihertz).
Sorry, I imagine it's terribly annoying.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Luckily I was able to find someone who was selling an used CPU near my hometown.
Otherwise a refurbished China import would have cost me the same without a guaranteed delivery date.
So the "beast" is back up and did good already: The November updates are available for download now.

McHoffi

Feb 25, 2018
Hi, will there also be LOS 19 or even further support, does it depend on Unihertz how long this ROM can be updated? I would love the phone, but want also the possibility of updates. It seems to be a good little android phone with a decent price, something rare to get your handy on. But also do I like security, which includes getting regular updates.

One good thing is that from next year on the seller will be responsible to update the phone for at least two years in the EU. Maybe this will help to keep it updated for longer time and also faster. Because if there is a security risk the seller/manufacturer is also obliged to update fast.

Last edited:

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Hi, will there also be LOS 19 or even further support, does it depend on Unihertz how long this ROM can be updated? I would love the phone, but want also the possibility of updates. It seems to be a good little android phone with a decent price, something rare to get your handy on. But also do I like security, which includes getting regular updates.

One good thing is that from next year on the seller will be responsible to update the phone for at least two years in the EU. Maybe this will help to keep it updated for longer time and also faster. Because if there is a security risk the seller/manufacturer is also obliged to update fast.
Unihertz announced that they'll release an Android 11 (= LOS 18) upgrade of the rom.
Jundging by their previous phones there will be no further upgrade (Android 12) just minor (irregular) updates.
And then *peng* it's July 2022, two years after their launch, so they are not further obligated to do any more updates.

On paper this two year responsibility sounds good but in reality it's not even comming close to being enough. It must be five years ore more to do any good in saving the environment. Companies like Apple and Samsung are releaseing phone after phone and therefore so many people are using theirs no longer than a year. They should be restricted to only being allowed to release a new phone per year tops.

That said, I'll try to support this phone as long as possible but bear with me that I'm rather limited on what I can do as long as there is no source code release of the kernel. So it can be possible to use LOS 19 with the upcomming A11 kernel from Unihertz but it's also possible that it's not gonna work at all.

McHoffi

Feb 25, 2018
I know its Off topic, but want to warn others and hope someone could help me:

Tried updating today to Android 11 and wanted to install magisk patched boot. Messed the whole day around, just got into a bootloop.

Then tried to go back to old Android 10 with SP Flash Tool v5.1820, but am just getting an error, which means, that I am not using a verified version of the firmware, but it is downloaded from the g drive.

Unfortunately Unihertz did not upload the Android 11 firmware to gdrive.

Now the phone wont even boot. Does anybody of you know what to do?

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Now the phone wont even boot. Does anybody of you know what to do?
Hi.

I would recommend you use the LATEST device driver and SPFlash Tool.
Here is my guide on how to install and use them

(I just checked the links in my guide and there is now a V6 of SPFlash which I haven't tested yet so I recommend you stick to V5 for now)

Reactions: McHoffi

McHoffi

Feb 25, 2018
If someone else encounters problems with rooting Android 11 on the Unihertz Atom XL / L i made it now with this, I dont know what of this guide has had to be done and what was unneccessary, but now it worked:

Got it now working with Virtualbox. Had to make multiple retries.

The final way was:

1. Install magisk canary build
  2. patch boot.img
  3. Copy everything to virtual machine
  4. Changed the commands for disabling verity from this guide to the format of this guide
  5. -> this means: instead of
    Code:
    fastboot flash --disable-verification --disable-verity vbmeta vbmeta.img
    changed it to
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
  6. fastboot flash boot "patchedbootimgname".img
  7. fastboot reboot
I dont know what then really was the problem, because yesterday I also tried with the virual Linux, but it did not work, maybe it needs the command from the linked guide for disabling verity.

Reactions: a-dead-trousers

Mokhand

Jun 19, 2021
Ok, I've finally installed LOS on my Atom XL. Some questions persist though:
1. In Canada it's legal to record a phone call. Why is it not available? I know there's a guide to recompile Dialer.apk, but I'm wondering why is it not avaiable from the box.
2. Google Pay won't work if I understand correctly. That should be a huge warning for those who unlock their phones, had I known it beforehand - I would think several times probably. But now it's late. Unless there's an option to pass SafetyNet check somehow, but I've tried all options I could google.
3. How to remove Orange State warning during the boot process? Is that something that will always be with me after unlocking? I didn't see any instruction about it.

Otherwise the system is really smooth and responsive, thank you a-dead-trousers.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
1. In Canada it's legal to record a phone call. Why is it not available? I know there's a guide to recompile Dialer.apk, but I'm wondering why is it not avaiable from the box.
I'm using most apps out of the box from lineage. If it's not there I don't have the means to provide it, sorry. Maybe you could give it a shot. My repository is public. Everyone can fork it and provide a patch.
2. Google Pay won't work if I understand correctly. That should be a huge warning for those who unlock their phones, had I known it beforehand - I would think several times probably. But now it's late. Unless there's an option to pass SafetyNet check somehow, but I've tried all options I could google.
Main Problem is the "unlocked" state of the phone. There are some guides to hide that from SN by forcing it on a fallback solution but that didn't work for me.
3. How to remove Orange State warning during the boot process? Is that something that will always be with me after unlocking? I didn't see any instruction about it.
Best I can do is "yellow" state (Locked, but non stock signing keys). That means I need to find a way to combine recovery and vendor.img into LOS build process to include them into the signing process (which I wasn't able to pull off for now). This also means doubling the size of the rom (vendor.img). Also one would need to flash/install the signing keys I used onto the device and everytime an update comes along it could potentialy "brick" the phone cause it could "break" the hash values of the signed partitions. So you see this is a risky step to take.

Arnd_Bueter

Jan 17, 2022
Hi There

Tryed to get lineageo os my atome xl but failed

i folloed the guide by github https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/android_device_Unihertz_Atom_LXL/blob/master/docs/HOW-TO-INSTALL.md

and used the latest lineage-17.1-20211114-UNOFFICIAL-Atom_XL_EEA-signed.zip

gut seams to faile
errore message while using sideload was

"update process ended with ERROR: 7"
on PC side:
"total xfer: 0.00x"

looks like something went wrong

do have anaone of you an idea?

before while whiping there was a error message

"Failed to mount "/systeme_root" (Permission denied)"
"Failed to mount "/vendor" (Permission Denied)"

I'm totaly new on working wit android devices
just wanna leave th ios world to secure device

thanks

best regard and greatings from germoney

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Tryed to get lineageo os my atome xl but failed

i folloed the guide by github https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/android_device_Unihertz_Atom_LXL/blob/master/docs/HOW-TO-INSTALL.md

and used the latest lineage-17.1-20211114-UNOFFICIAL-Atom_XL_EEA-signed.zip

gut seams to faile
errore message while using sideload was

"update process ended with ERROR: 7"
on PC side:
"total xfer: 0.00x"

looks like something went wrong

do have anaone of you an idea?
Let me guess: You used "adb sideload" for the installation.
"Error: 7" could mean many things but this early in the installation process it's most definitely a problem with the partion sizes. See the "Troubleshooting" section in my installation guide.

If you want to be sure you could use an external sd card for transfering the rom onto the device and then install it from within TWRP. This way you will see the whole error log.
before while whiping there was a error message

"Failed to mount "/systeme_root" (Permission denied)"
"Failed to mount "/vendor" (Permission Denied)"
These two I need for the decryption of the internal storage. I don't know why TWRP is trying to access them during wiping though. Because everything else is working I asume it's safe to ignore the error messages for now.
I'm totaly new on working wit android devices
just wanna leave th ios world to secure device
Security with a custom rom is a little bit tricky to achieve (see my previous post). So don't expect to have a "fully" functional device for now. I'm still working on the "yellow state" for my own device as I need some security apps to work even after magisk hide being discontinued. So maybe if it's not too much of a hassle I'll write a guide for this. Currently I'm waiting for unihertz's A11 release to switch to LOS 18.1 / TWRP 3.6.0.
best regard and greatings from germoney
Schöne Grüße aus Österreich retour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arnd_Bueter

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
What do you mean by "discontinued"?
I use it with the latest version of Magisk and it works for me (for all applications except Google Pay)
John Wu "changed sides" therefore the next release will not have the "hide" feature anymore.
https://twitter.com/topjohnwu/status/1394307859815407619
https://topjohnwu.medium.com/state-of-magisk-2021-fe29fdaee458
What is A11? Is it some kind of new release of the firmware?
A(ndroid)11
It's a developer thingy to abbreviate things mostly out of context ;)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mokhand

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
All of us need to continually hound our representatives, worldwide, to ensure that right-to-repair legislation enshrines the right to "root" devices without consequence. It needs to be illegal to detect whether or not a device has been rooted for the purpose of restricting that user's right to do something. The entire "safetynet" system needs to go.

Of course, that needs to be coupled with the right to root, period; it should be a criminal act to manufacture or import for resale any device that restricts its owner from accessing the highest level of privilege available (or imposes consequences for doing so).

The loss of root hiding will inconvenience a lot of people... though that could be a good thing in the end. I'd switch banks if mine ever stopped working on my rooted device, for example.

Feb 10, 2021
I've been running on the stock ROM for a while, because of aforementioned carrier issues with this Lineage ROM, but I wanted to factory reset my phone anyway due to self-inflicted problems, so I thought I would make another run at trying Lineage, and failing that just stay on the stock ROM.

The point at which I'm getting hung up is getting into the recovery to try flashing Lineage. All previous steps worked fine.

This time around, I cannot, for the life of me, get a recovery to boot. I've tried with the TWRP recovery image in the original post links, and with the Lineage recovery in the old Atom (X)L thread with no luck. (This one worked for me on my last attempt, whereas TWRP had never worked.) Whether I try the "hold volume up to boot to recovery" or try using fastboot reboot recovery, I can't seem to get into recovery.

If I hold volume up, the phone just sits at the boot splash screen for a while until I relent and let go of the button, then the phone will boot back into the normal ROM. If I try using fastboot, I get nothing but the stock ROM booting again.

I tried both procedures with the May 2021 stock ROM (having flashed the phone earlier tonight) and after applying the November 2021 OTA stock ROM update, with no change in behavior.

Am I doing something wrong and don't realize? Any other ideas for getting to recovery?

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Hi.

fastboot reboot recovery isn't gonna work as "fastboot" simply has no options for "reboot". Therfore "recovery" is simply being ignored. Only "adb" features this.
You need to use fastboot reboot and as soon as the screen goes dark press volume up (no other buttons) until the "orange boot" warning disapears and the TWRP boot logo shows up. There is no other way to boot into TWRP after flashing it that I know of. If you let the stock rom boot it will once more replace TWRP with the stock recovery.
Oh, and you need to make sure you have the right region version to your current bootloader (stock rom flash). The bootloader is especially picky when it comes to EEA vs. TEE and not so with L vs. XL. Whenever I tried to switch between EEA and TEE during my tests I needed to flash the bootloader of that region whereas I tried to switch between L and XL I didn't need to do that. Otherwise you will get this ominous green line on top of the screen. This seems to be connected with the device encryption which is part of the vendor partition and not the kernel. Therefore I was able to use the TEE XL kernel with the EEA XL release.
Also bootloader version needs to match the stock kernel I used in the TWRP builds. The latest from August is for the May stock rom.

EDIT: As soon as Unihertz releases their A11 update I'll provide LOS 18.1 and TWRP 3.6 as a combined release.

Feb 10, 2021
fastboot reboot recovery isn't gonna work as "fastboot" simply has no options for "reboot". Therfore "recovery" is simply being ignored. Only "adb" features this.
Good to know for the future.

You need to use fastboot reboot and as soon as the screen goes dark press volume up (no other buttons) until the "orange boot" warning disapears and the TWRP boot logo shows up.
Yeah it just doesn't work for me. Holding volume up just makes the phone boot loop until I let go.

Oh, and you need to make sure you have the right region version to your current bootloader (stock rom flash).
I've checked again and again that I have the TWRP image for the L model, TEE region. No change at all. Still won't boot to recovery.

Because I don't fear bricking the phone, I tried the TEE XL recovery and the EEA L recovery, with no change in behavior there either.

--

When I use the fastboot flash commands for the vbmeta partitions, it reports 'OKAY', so I'm working on the assumption that the previous fastboot flashing unlock step was successful. Is this a valid conclusion?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    500px-Lineage_OS_logo.svg.png

Code:
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a LineageOS 17.1 ROM for the Helios P60 based Atom L (Atom_L) and Atom XL (Atom_XL), two rugged Android phones released by Unihertz in July 2020.

This ROM supports both devices as well as both regional variants!
    You need to make sure which device and variant you need!

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Not Working
    • VoLTE is working but has some issus with SELinux in enforcing mode
    • LiveDisplay is not working (and probably never will)
    • DMR (Atom XL) is working but only with a headset
    • Face Unlock isn't available
    • You tell me

Releases
    Atom L EEA (european union)
    Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Atom XL TEE (non-european union)

How to install
    How to update
    How to upgrade

Links
    TWRP
    Common device tree
    Device tree Atom L (model)
    Device tree Atom XL (model)
    Device tree Atom L EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Device tree Atom XL TEE (non-european union)
    Bug reporting

2022-04-21
    * April security updates included
    * Extended apn list included
    2022-03-27
    * March security updates included
    2022-02-16
    * February security updates included
    * Updated apns-conf.xml with stock entries
    2022-01-31 (Only for Atom L TEE)
    * Fixing a mixup of the prebuilt kernel
    2022-01-22
    * January security updates included
    2021-12-16
    * December security updates included
    2021-11-14
    * November security updates included
    2021-10-10
    * October security updates included
    2021-09-16
    * New icon for NavButtonRemap
    * LineageOS OTA updates enabled
    * September security updates included
    2021-08-10
    * August security updates included
    2021-07-14
    * July security updates included
    2021-06-16
    * May vendor updates included (needs vendor to be upgraded manually)
    * June security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now
    * Nav Button Remap included
    2021-05-10
    * May security updates included
    2021-04-15 2021-04-21
    * April security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now, without sound
    * Raised the size of the system and product partition to support bigger gapps installs
    * Combining the work for the Atom L and XL
    2021-03-09
    * March security patches included
    * Built for the first time using a combined Atom L/XL device tree
    2021-02-11
    * February security patches included
    * Notification LED is working now
    * Included FMRadio app (but not working)
    2021-01-24
    * Intercom DMR is working now
    * Audio Jack fixed
    * Wifi Hotspot and USB Tethering are enabled
    2021-01-16
    * January security patches included
    * Switched to TWRP recovery
    2020-12-19
    * December security patches included
    * Updated for stock release 2020-11-04 (announced 2020-12-03), needs vendor to be updated separately
    * !!! untested (for now) !!!
    2020-11-10
    * Rom build variant is "user" and is signed with release keys
    * Recovery is still build variant "userdebug" and signed with test keys
    * November security patches included
    * Intercom doesn't crash anymore (but still doesn't work either)
    * Some apps and sepolicies included from stock rom
    2020-10-01
    * Initial Alpha build released

Help from other developers is certainly welcome. Currently only myself is working on this ROM.

Credit and Thanks

• LineageOS team
    • @PeterCxy for starting the work on the Atom L

Enjoy! (y)

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
    a-dead-trousers
    Source Code: https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/android_device_Unihertz_Atom_LXL

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2020-10-02
    Last Updated 2022-04-21
    Good news my fellow Atom XL Users: DMR is working (kind of) even in the current release! :)

BUT

only with a freeset :confused:

During my struggles to get the mediatek code integrated into LOS I encountered many problems. One was that I muted the phone entirely. So with every step I took I did a full sound check including audio jack and headphones. That's how I found out that the sound of the DMR was working all along even without any modifications. It's just not able to "access" the built in microphone and speaker.
    This feels quite familiar as I had some issues with the audio jack in the beginning but the other way round. So maybe some settings I changed to get the audio jack to work were counteracting this.

Just to let you all know, that there is still some progress on my part.
    Hi everyone!

I am not sure whether I have ever posted on these forums at all, but this one got me seriously intrigued and for the first time I felt the sudden urge to jump in and assist if I can.

Just received my Atom XL yesterday afternoon (which seems to be just the best phone I have ever owned), and I have started to look for options to replace the stock ROM or at least root it so I can remove the bloat and Google crap before I actually start using the phone as a phone.

I am really happy to see we already have a working Lineage build for this - so huge thanks to everyone for the efforts so far!

My other phone is a Blackview BV9100 for which there was not much to be found in terms of customization, and since the manufacturer software updates are non-existent I had to figure out everything by myself - which means I have some experience, so if there is anything I can provide to help fixing the current issues, just let me know. I will give a shot at rooting the XL tonight but keep the OS otherwise untouched for a while if needed. I see flashing a Magisk patched boot.img caused a bootloop for someone, so I will see if I can get it to work somehow.

In the meantime I will have a look at the issue updates on Github as well to see what is the actual status.
    First impressions: install went smoothly, I'm so happy to have a Google apps free install. I'll try features, but so far, no show stopper, it feels good!
    Thanks for all the help above on flashing with the sdtool. I've been using the 11/10 build for the past couple months and have recently updated to the 1/24 build. Already noticed a few fixes for things that I use.

Here is a list of things I encountered in the 11/10 build with notes as to what I've seen in the 1/24 build so far.

Wifi/bluetooth randomly turning off - For some reason, wifi/bluetooth would just turn off after about 1-2 days of uptime. Toggling it back on through the menu brought it back up. Unsure if resolved, need more time to test.

Bluetooth failing to connect to anything after days of uptime - After a few days, bluetooth would just die and require a restart of the phone to fix. Toggling bluetooth off/on again had no effect. Unsure if resolved, need more time to test.

Wifi calling would only work on the first wifi network connected to - A quick test of toggling off wifi and reconnecting seems to allow wifi calling to still work. Will continue to see if it continues.

Disconnecting wifi - Phone disconnects from 5GHz wifi every 30 minutes and reconnects, even with strong signal. Will disable 5GHz on the AP to see if it continues to do this tonight on 2.4GHz. This might be an issue with my AP.

UHF radio not working - Tested with my ham radio, able to broadcast and receive now.

Magisk unable to display the root access dialogue - Works now and apps can be granted root

ADB over usb sometimes not working - Haven't seen this issue yet, but it was random before. Will continue to watch for this.