Here's my first effort at porting the Nexus Stock custom ROM to the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290] on Android 10. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.
- The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
- The system is based on @AndyYan's LineageOS 17.1 (LQ) with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
- Boot animation and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
- This should be installed using my latest TWRP build for the SM-T290.
- The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
- This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.
- Support for file-based encryption
- MTP support (pending Samsung kernel source update)
- Nexus_Stock_LQ_T290XXU3BUC1-20210516.tar.md5 (Odin tarball)
- Nexus_Stock_LQ_T290XXU3BUC1-20210516.zip (TWRP update)
- Switched GSI from custom AOSP build to the latest LineageOS 17.1 (20210512).
- Restored enforced OEM file-based encryption to work around issue with screen lock.
- Sized boot animation correctly for 720p screen.
- Worked around issue with OpenGApp's Google Recorder installation.
- Updated to OEM stock T290XXU3BUC1 kernel (March 2021 Update).
- Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-0.
- Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20210515)
- Updated to OEM stock T290XXS3BTL6 kernel (December 2020 Update).
- Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.0_9-0.
- Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20201223)
- Initial build based on OEM stock T290XXU3BTI2 kernel (September 2020 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v222.
- Latest Google apps from Stock variant of OpenGApps (20201205)
- Ensure bootloader is unlocked and TWRP is installed.
- Ensure matching OEM build (e.g. T290XXS3BTL6) is installed.
- Reboot to TWRP.
- Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
- Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install.
- Reboot to system.