[ROM][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] Nexus Stock for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    How do you build nexus stock without any source?
    Pls tell me the progress or some source provider.
    If there's no boot security features (e.g. Knox) to disable in the kernel, you can just use the stock kernel. Support for prebuilt kernels is supposedly being deprecated at some point, but it's continued to work for me.

Unfortunately, Samsung's MTP implementation is incompatible with AOSP-based custom system images. I normally can fix that with a custom kernel, but when I do that on the SM-T290 I lose wireless support.

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    I would like to try an Android 11 release. I didn't see a post for it yet so I was wondering if it got delayed.
    I just got distracted with the SM-T510 and Mi Pad 4 releases over the weekend. I'll have one soon for the SM-T290. And, Samsung just posted the T290XXU3BUB2 kernel source, so I'll work with that.

Last edited:

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
    Magendaz,

Do you think is possible to port those roms to this tablet? I own a Samsung T580, which is remarkable better with these Lineage based roms, thanks

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
    Possible? Yes, of course. However, I don't build for devices I don't have. If anyone else with at T580 is willing to give it a go, I'm more than happy to share my build scripts.

Sorry, probably I didn't explain me well, I was referring Lineage based roms to the T290, when I bought my T580, first thing I did was installing Lineage, which was heaps better than Samsung Stock Rom, I was wondering if it is possible to do the same for this Tablet, running Lineage or Resurrection Remix.

Thanks

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ
    Sorry, probably I didn't explain me well, I was referring Lineage based roms to the T290, when I bought my T580, first thing I did was installing Lineage, which was heaps better than Samsung Stock Rom, I was wondering if it is possible to do the same for this Tablet, running Lineage or Resurrection Remix.

Thanks
    Once you've installed TWRP, you can install a GSI ROM. I tried Resurrection Remix, but it kept crashing. (That was a while ago and it might be better now.) Currently I use AndyYans's Android 11 version of LineageOS.

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
    Once you've installed TWRP, you can install a GSI ROM. I tried Resurrection Remix, but it kept crashing. (That was a while ago and it might be better now.) Currently I use AndyYans's Android 11 version of LineageOS.

Thanks didn't know there was already a Lineage based rom for this tablet, so is compatible with all devices? Never heard of that, which image you tried so I can avoid a mistake

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      qPD09.png

Here's my first effort at porting the Nexus Stock custom ROM to the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290] on Android 10. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
      • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
      • The system is based on @AndyYan's LineageOS 17.1 (LQ) with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
      • Boot animation and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
      • This should be installed using my latest TWRP build for the SM-T290.
      • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
      • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
      • Support for file-based encryption
      • MTP support (pending Samsung kernel source update)

Downloads:
      Build Archives:
      Change Log:
      20210516:
      • Switched GSI from custom AOSP build to the latest LineageOS 17.1 (20210512).
      • Restored enforced OEM file-based encryption to work around issue with screen lock.
      • Sized boot animation correctly for 720p screen.
      • Worked around issue with OpenGApp's Google Recorder installation.
      • Updated to OEM stock T290XXU3BUC1 kernel (March 2021 Update).
      • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-0.
      • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20210515)
      20210104:
      • Updated to OEM stock T290XXS3BTL6 kernel (December 2020 Update).
      • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.0_9-0.
      • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20201223)
      20201223:
      • Initial build based on OEM stock T290XXU3BTI2 kernel (September 2020 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v222.
      • Latest Google apps from Stock variant of OpenGApps (20201205)

Instructions:
      • Ensure bootloader is unlocked and TWRP is installed.
      • Ensure matching OEM build (e.g. T290XXS3BTL6) is installed.
      • Reboot to TWRP.
      • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
      • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install.
      • Reboot to system.

Source:

Donations:
      • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
      • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!
      Note: If you install Google Recorder from the Google Play Store, it works just fine. The issue is with the pre-installed APK from OpenGApps.
      SafetyNet check failed (but basic is true). SafetyNet on stock firmware failed too, but MagiskHide always help. In your ROM, if i turn on MagiskHide, i got cyclyng reboot, over and over again until i turn "hide" off.
      SafetyNet fails by design on any device with an unlocked bootloader and custom ROM. Magisk has its tricks to try to fool SafetyNet, but it's a bit of Whack-a-Mole game.
      Can you make a custom Kernel with GPU Overclock? Tablet not so bad and run some games pretty well, with overclock they can be runs much better.
      Unfortunately, the Android 10 kernel source that was posted last week is not working. It compiles fine, but builds to a significantly different size and crashes to the bootloader when packaged in either boot or recovery images. Until that's addressed, I can't provide an MTP fix or any overclocking.
      Note: I just posted a v3.4.0-1 update to my TWRP for SM-T290 thread that includes a new custom T290UES3ATC1 kernel fixing MTP support. If you install it over the TWRP build included in this build, it will allow file transfers on this custom ROM by rebooting to recovery.

Since this is an Android 10 custom ROM, I can't use it in the boot image, but it's a workaround until we get working T290XXU3BTI2 kernel source.
      Hi, there. I've managed to get the image installed, used the compatible version, etc. After rebooting, I got to TWRP, did the wipe, etc. Upon reboot, I get through to the setup process, skip the SIM setup stuff (no cell stuff in this T290) and then when trying to add a wifi connection, it never completes the "Connect to WiFi" step. If I skip, I can get through manual set up of the basics, manual time config, a few other prompts. All that seems okay. But even when I get to the main menu menu, it seems like everything is working (pulls up, etc) but I'm still not connected. The WiFi radio appears to be turned completely off. Each time I try to turn it back on, it flashes on for a split second, then immediately turns off again.

Any ideas I can try to get this enabled?
      Okay, all weekend I've been trying to figure out why wireless isn't working on my custom kernel, but it appears the OEM kernel isn't working as well...and I didn't even realize it. This is actually a hugely valuable data point that will drive my troubleshooting in an entirely different direction.

I'm embarrassed that I missed this in my initial smoke testing, but at least I know that my MTP fix is solid. More info to follow...