[ROM][11.0][UNOFFICIAL] Nexus Stock for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
qPD09.png

Here's my first effort at porting the Nexus Stock custom ROM to the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290] on Android 10. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
  • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
  • The system is based on eremitein's CAOS GSI project with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
  • Boot animation and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
  • This should be installed using my latest TWRP build for the SM-T290.
  • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
  • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
  • Support for file-based encryption
  • MTP support (pending FFS MTP fix)

Downloads:
Build Archives:
Change Log:
20220327:
  • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUK4 kernel (November 2021 Update).
  • System partition based on CAOS 11.0 v316 (March 2022 Security Update)
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.6.1_11-0 (20220327).
  • Stripped product partition to get .zip update under the 2GB limit.
20220220:
  • Boots normally for offline (cold) charging
  • System partition based on CAOS 11.0 v315 (January 2022 Security Update)
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.6.0_11-1 (20220220).
  • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20220215) w/ rollback for WebView
20211121:
  • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUG4 kernel (July 2021 Update).
  • Switched underlying GSI from LineageOS 17.1 to CAOS 11.
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-1 (20211017).
  • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20211120) w/ rollback for WebView
  • IMPORANT NOTE: Dirty flash is not possible because we're transitioning to Android 11 kernel. Use Oden and do a factory reset from TWRP.
20210516:
  • Switched GSI from custom AOSP build to the latest LineageOS 17.1 (20210512).
  • Restored enforced OEM file-based encryption to work around issue with screen lock.
  • Sized boot animation correctly for 720p screen.
  • Worked around issue with OpenGApp's Google Recorder installation.
  • Updated to OEM stock T290XXU3BUC1 kernel (March 2021 Update).
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-0.
  • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20210515)
20210104:
  • Updated to OEM stock T290XXS3BTL6 kernel (December 2020 Update).
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.0_9-0.
  • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20201223)
20201223:
  • Initial build based on OEM stock T290XXU3BTI2 kernel (September 2020 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v222.
  • Latest Google apps from Stock variant of OpenGApps (20201205)

Instructions:
From OEM stock firmware:
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Ensure matching OEM build (e.g. T290XXU3CUG4) is installed
  • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
  • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
  • When TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
  • Reboot to system
From existing TWRP install (for incremental updates):
  • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
  • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
  • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
  • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!

Last edited:

eclipse00074

Dec 12, 2016
Moscow
Hello! Finally first custom rom for our tablet =)
Using this for couple hours, it seems, almost everything works pretty fine. When i installed, the first issue was Google Assistant, cant skip this while first setup. Then i installed Magisk and see that SafetyNet check failed (but basic is true). SafetyNet on stock firmware failed too, but MagiskHide always help. In your ROM, if i turn on MagiskHide, i got cyclyng reboot, over and over again until i turn "hide" off.
Its really sad that MTP is not working.
About the rom: Everything good, no trash apps, works faster than stock, battery drain good... and... i dont know what i can say else =)
Thank you so much for this work!
Also i have a one question. Can you make a custom Kernel with GPU Overclock? Tablet not so bad and run some games pretty well, with overclock they can be runs much better. GPU is a bottleneck in this tablet i think.
Sorry for bad English, if it is =)

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
SafetyNet check failed (but basic is true). SafetyNet on stock firmware failed too, but MagiskHide always help. In your ROM, if i turn on MagiskHide, i got cyclyng reboot, over and over again until i turn "hide" off.
SafetyNet fails by design on any device with an unlocked bootloader and custom ROM. Magisk has its tricks to try to fool SafetyNet, but it's a bit of Whack-a-Mole game.
Can you make a custom Kernel with GPU Overclock? Tablet not so bad and run some games pretty well, with overclock they can be runs much better.
Unfortunately, the Android 10 kernel source that was posted last week is not working. It compiles fine, but builds to a significantly different size and crashes to the bootloader when packaged in either boot or recovery images. Until that's addressed, I can't provide an MTP fix or any overclocking.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Note: I just posted a v3.4.0-1 update to my TWRP for SM-T290 thread that includes a new custom T290UES3ATC1 kernel fixing MTP support. If you install it over the TWRP build included in this build, it will allow file transfers on this custom ROM by rebooting to recovery.

Since this is an Android 10 custom ROM, I can't use it in the boot image, but it's a workaround until we get working T290XXU3BTI2 kernel source.

qntmcat

Apr 1, 2011
Hi, there. I've managed to get the image installed, used the compatible version, etc. After rebooting, I got to TWRP, did the wipe, etc. Upon reboot, I get through to the setup process, skip the SIM setup stuff (no cell stuff in this T290) and then when trying to add a wifi connection, it never completes the "Connect to WiFi" step. If I skip, I can get through manual set up of the basics, manual time config, a few other prompts. All that seems okay. But even when I get to the main menu menu, it seems like everything is working (pulls up, etc) but I'm still not connected. The WiFi radio appears to be turned completely off. Each time I try to turn it back on, it flashes on for a split second, then immediately turns off again.

Any ideas I can try to get this enabled?

Edit: Bluetooth is working, was able to connect to another device. The device had previously been using WiFi with the stock image with no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeededSquash

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Hi, there. I've managed to get the image installed, used the compatible version, etc. After rebooting, I got to TWRP, did the wipe, etc. Upon reboot, I get through to the setup process, skip the SIM setup stuff (no cell stuff in this T290) and then when trying to add a wifi connection, it never completes the "Connect to WiFi" step. If I skip, I can get through manual set up of the basics, manual time config, a few other prompts. All that seems okay. But even when I get to the main menu menu, it seems like everything is working (pulls up, etc) but I'm still not connected. The WiFi radio appears to be turned completely off. Each time I try to turn it back on, it flashes on for a split second, then immediately turns off again.

Okay, all weekend I've been trying to figure out why wireless isn't working on my custom kernel, but it appears the OEM kernel isn't working as well...and I didn't even realize it. This is actually a hugely valuable data point that will drive my troubleshooting in an entirely different direction.

I'm embarrassed that I missed this in my initial smoke testing, but at least I know that my MTP fix is solid. More info to follow...

Last edited:

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Awesome, I passively helped with a thing! =)
I can still only reproduce the wireless networking issue with kernel's built from Samsung's posted kernel source. The released T290XXU3BTI2 boot image works fine (and my original tarball shouldn't have replaced it). Did you upgrade to the OEM release of T290XXU3BTI2 prior to installing my custom ROM? If not, you may be running with an Android 9.0 kernel and Android 10.0 vendor partition.

qntmcat

Apr 1, 2011
Hm. I believe I did, but I went through a few iterations before I got everything to work right. (Not super familiar with Odin.) I restored everything by using that OEM image, pushed through Odin. Restarted the system and caught it back into download mode and replaced AP with your image ( Nexus_Stock_AQ_T290XXU3BTI2-20201206.tar.md5). Restarted, caught TWRP, and used it to wipe the data and cache. Restarted. Long cycle, followed by the "Let's get started" screen.

I can try this again tomorrow, starting from scratch in case I messed something up.

qntmcat

Apr 1, 2011
I've gotten it maybe working after a few iterations. I'm not expert at this, so this is pure cargo-cult work of just trying to follow the various instruction sets out there, but I've tried several iterations and documented a few FAIL messages. Try not to laugh too hard at my flailing.

What I did:
1. Restored to OEM (ODIN 3.14.4, used theBL/AP/CP/CSC from XAR-T290XXU3BTI2-20201021133521.zip)
--Restore completed normally
2. Confirmed functional. Performed "Let's Go" setup. WiFi was working and detected my AP during setup. Did device registration etc.
--Tablet working normally
3. Stopped tablet, put back into download mode,used Odin3 again , AP = Nexus_Stock_AQ_T290XXU3BTI2-20201206.tar.md5 (no BL / CP / CSC selected)
--Fail at system.img.ext4
--Error on the tablet: SW REV CHECK FAIL : [system]Fused 3 > Binary 0

4. Restarted, and redid step 1 to restore back to stock.
--Did not confirm status, in case first boot did something to cause the issue
5. Restarted, and repeated step 3
--Same failure point / message

6. Restarted, redid step 1 again to restore
7. Restarted immediately and restored again, this time using stock BL / CP / CSC along with custom AP above.
--Same failure point / message

This next works, but there is an error, an
8. Reread information above, decided to apply the TWRP MTP correction you list above. I know this is stupid, because of version differences, but I thought it might be worth a try because I think this may have been what I did to get it partly working before. (Is there another TWRP MTP corrected image I would use here??)
9. Repeated step 1 to get fully stock
10. Restarted, Pushed the TWRP image from your post reference above in AP, along with the BL/CP/CSC files from BTI2 (because dumb? This seems like it shouldn't work because of the version difference.)
11. Pushed without issue. Made it to the TWRP menu. Did a wipe. Restarted.
12. Used Odin to push stock BL/CP/CSC files along with your custom AP again.
13. It worked (kinda.) I did not get the rev check fail I got before, but I did get an error when the vbmeta.img came up which read: SECURE CHECK FAIL : VBMETA -- But Odin kept pushing and gave me a PASS! at the end.
14. Restarted. Again, caught TWRP on the restart and told it to wipe again (just to be safe, but this could also have just been stupid)
15. Restarted.
16. Okay, this time I got to the "Start" button, and it actually made it to the wifi screen *and detected my AP!
17. Set up google account -- Initial login worked, but 2-step verification did not (brings up the correct prompts, but both the bluetooth and usb titankey get to a certain point and then halt. In the case of the bluetooth, it gets to the point where it says you need to enter the 6-digit code from the back of the key, but pressing NEXT button does nothing. In the case of the usb titankey, it prompts for the "tap the gold disc", I get lights on the titankey, but it never recognizes the tap.)
18. Used the "tap on a phone" method instead,, which worked.
19. Noticed an odd message after the "checking your account" message, couldn't catch all of it, but it said something about screen lock already being on. Probably benign.
20. Changed font sizes and swapped wallpapers just to check them out. Works as expected.
21. Tested Play Store. Loads. Was able to update apps (some are still updating) and install a few things I wanted. No issues.
22. Wanted to validate that the bluetooth titan key worked, so I went and paired it. Works fine from this level, got the "enter the code" prompt from paring,.
23. All apps I've tried so far have worked. Will explore some underpinnings to see if I find any other goofiness.

So, WiFi works now? Didn't work last times I did it a few days ago? Not sure what I did different, but pushing TWRP (even if it's the wrong version) seems to have done the trick.

(Now I just have to try to parse out whether I need to do the multidisabler / root / other stuff.)

I did find something not working, which is the screen lock. I am unable to get it to set to anything other than SWIPE. It *tries* to set it when I go to pin/password/pattern, it loads the change function for that thing, but when I complete the change, I get the same error I got during setup:

Screen lock was already changed. Try again with the new screen lock.

Additional: While bluetooth seems to be working for device connections and so on, I don't appear to be able to get sound output to actually go there, even when the paired device is listed as the correct one for sound output. Probably more of my just being wrong and uninformed.

Last edited:
  • Love

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Hm. I believe I did, but I went through a few iterations before I got everything to work right. (Not super familiar with Odin.) I restored everything by using that OEM image, pushed through Odin. Restarted the system and caught it back into download mode and replaced AP with your image ( Nexus_Stock_AQ_T290XXU3BTI2-20201206.tar.md5). Restarted, caught TWRP, and used it to wipe the data and cache. Restarted. Long cycle, followed by the "Let's get started" screen.

I can try this again tomorrow, starting from scratch in case I messed something up.
After going from stock to custom ROM you must FORMAT , not just wipe, the data partition. Wiping does NOT get rid of the encryption.

djiscool

Jul 29, 2012
I also have the Bluetooth connects but no audio issue. It instead plays through the speaker. Also the same issue if you plug headphones in via the headphone jack, but at least in that case you can hear through the headphones. Love the nexus theme, can't stand the samsung UI.

shmigao

Sep 3, 2009
Also having the "no audio through Bluetooth" issue. other than that, build is awesome!

Last edited:

WeededSquash

Sep 12, 2008
I am having trouble flashing this on my tablet; I have OEM unlock enabled and have unlocked the bootloader. It went through a reset after this and I confirmed that my version is T290XXU3BTI2. I flashed via Odin and had a failure like qnmtcat (SW REV CHECK FAIL : [system]Fused 3 > Binary 0), so I flashed back to T290XXU3BTI2 and then tried again. Now, I am stuck at the pre-boot software update error screen and can't get into anything or restore via Smart Switch as directed on the screen; I have tried various button combinations at various times (holding Vol + & Vol - stops boot at unlocked bootloader warning; pressing Vol + & Vol - opens Options menu, but all options return to error screen; from power off Vol + & Vol - & inserting cable returns to error screen). I haven't used Odin or custom ROMs in a few years, but I'm not unfamiliar with the process from that time. Thanks for any assistance! I would REALLY like to get a ROM like this going because the tablet is painfully slow for me on stock.

UPDATE: I was able to flash back to the OEM ROM and it is running fine now, but still would appreciate any help in figuring out what I am doing wrong and why it isn't working for me. TIA

UPDATE #2: I got it to work doing mostly the same steps as qnmtcat: from stock, flashing the TWRP 3.4.0-1 linked above and then the ROM; I did still get an error with vbmeta, but I haven't noticed the effect of that yet. I also previously had issues getting into TWRP using the button combination in the OP and it seems like holding just the Vol + beginning immediately after pressing Power to bypass the unlocked bootloader warning screen works better for me.

Last edited:

shmigao

Sep 3, 2009
UPDATE #2: I got it to work doing mostly the same steps as qnmtcat: from stock, flashing the TWRP 3.4.0-1 linked above and then the ROM; I did still get an error with vbmeta, but I haven't noticed the effect of that yet. I also previously had issues getting into TWRP using the button combination in the OP and it seems like holding just the Vol + beginning immediately after pressing Power to bypass the unlocked bootloader warning screen works better for me.

looks like the exaxt same process I had to take (first twrp 3.4.0-1, then rom), same difficulties with accessing twrp recovery, volume up button seems to do the trick better.

do you have sound routing through bluetooth, or also no sound going to bluetooth device, although connected?

WeededSquash

Sep 12, 2008
looks like the exaxt same process I had to take (first twrp 3.4.0-1, then rom), same difficulties with accessing twrp recovery, volume up button seems to do the trick better.

do you have sound routing through bluetooth, or also no sound going to bluetooth device, although connected?

I had the same issue UNTIL I played with some of the settings in the "Phh Treble Settings"! Try enabling "Force-disable A2DP offload" in "Misc features" and then restarting; that seemed to work for me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    qPD09.png

Here's my first effort at porting the Nexus Stock custom ROM to the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290] on Android 10. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
    • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • The system is based on eremitein's CAOS GSI project with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
    • Boot animation and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
    • This should be installed using my latest TWRP build for the SM-T290.
    • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption
    • MTP support (pending FFS MTP fix)

Downloads:
    Build Archives:
    Change Log:
    20220327:
    • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUK4 kernel (November 2021 Update).
    • System partition based on CAOS 11.0 v316 (March 2022 Security Update)
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.6.1_11-0 (20220327).
    • Stripped product partition to get .zip update under the 2GB limit.
    20220220:
    • Boots normally for offline (cold) charging
    • System partition based on CAOS 11.0 v315 (January 2022 Security Update)
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.6.0_11-1 (20220220).
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20220215) w/ rollback for WebView
    20211121:
    • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUG4 kernel (July 2021 Update).
    • Switched underlying GSI from LineageOS 17.1 to CAOS 11.
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-1 (20211017).
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20211120) w/ rollback for WebView
    • IMPORANT NOTE: Dirty flash is not possible because we're transitioning to Android 11 kernel. Use Oden and do a factory reset from TWRP.
    20210516:
    • Switched GSI from custom AOSP build to the latest LineageOS 17.1 (20210512).
    • Restored enforced OEM file-based encryption to work around issue with screen lock.
    • Sized boot animation correctly for 720p screen.
    • Worked around issue with OpenGApp's Google Recorder installation.
    • Updated to OEM stock T290XXU3BUC1 kernel (March 2021 Update).
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-0.
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20210515)
    20210104:
    • Updated to OEM stock T290XXS3BTL6 kernel (December 2020 Update).
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.0_9-0.
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20201223)
    20201223:
    • Initial build based on OEM stock T290XXU3BTI2 kernel (September 2020 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v222.
    • Latest Google apps from Stock variant of OpenGApps (20201205)

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Ensure matching OEM build (e.g. T290XXU3CUG4) is installed
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • When TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Reboot to system
    From existing TWRP install (for incremental updates):
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!
    IMPORTANT NOTE: With the latest firmware update, Samsung seems to have introduced another bootloader security "feature" that's causing Odin to give a "SW REV CHECK FAIL" error when flashing the system image. Until I figure a workaround, you'll need to install using the .zip update from TWRP.

If this is a first-time install, follow the directions for installing my latest TWRP build with Odin, reboot immediately to recovery (hold Power + Vol Up, click Power to dismiss the warning, and then hold Power + Vol Up for 5 more seconds) and then do a factory reset and install the Nexus .zip update. (No need to also install Multidisabler.)
    Note: If you install Google Recorder from the Google Play Store, it works just fine. The issue is with the pre-installed APK from OpenGApps.
    SafetyNet check failed (but basic is true). SafetyNet on stock firmware failed too, but MagiskHide always help. In your ROM, if i turn on MagiskHide, i got cyclyng reboot, over and over again until i turn "hide" off.
    SafetyNet fails by design on any device with an unlocked bootloader and custom ROM. Magisk has its tricks to try to fool SafetyNet, but it's a bit of Whack-a-Mole game.
    Can you make a custom Kernel with GPU Overclock? Tablet not so bad and run some games pretty well, with overclock they can be runs much better.
    Unfortunately, the Android 10 kernel source that was posted last week is not working. It compiles fine, but builds to a significantly different size and crashes to the bootloader when packaged in either boot or recovery images. Until that's addressed, I can't provide an MTP fix or any overclocking.

Okay, all weekend I've been trying to figure out why wireless isn't working on my custom kernel, but it appears the OEM kernel isn't working as well...and I didn't even realize it. This is actually a hugely valuable data point that will drive my troubleshooting in an entirely different direction.

I'm embarrassed that I missed this in my initial smoke testing, but at least I know that my MTP fix is solid. More info to follow...