• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][10/11][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 17.1 Official / 18.1 Unofficial

Search This thread

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
What did you change to the device/kernel/vendor to get it compiling? Is there a patch or new code trees i can tinker with?

Also so far on my tiny old puter that i had dedicated for that it seems want to start with just 8gb of ram using -j1 on make and setting a 32gb swap file and setting the java heap to 6GB.
Sadly, no. You won't get that until if/when official ships (except for the kernel). For now, you should still use 17.1 for such purposes.

Regarding ram I was doing the same tbh. Then I finally saved up for another 8GB ram stick and it pays out, especially if you're doing this demanding android stuff. So I did it and...all the things once again function normally, the pc doesn't completely freeze up on some parts while compiling etc. It's still possible on 18.1 to get the build to finish on 8gb if you set the java heap yes, not even -j1 is needed on all parts because that would take way too long.

draekko

Apr 22, 2013
draekko.com
Sadly, no. You won't get that until if/when official ships (except for the kernel). For now, you should still use 17.1 for such purposes.

Regarding ram I was doing the same tbh. Then I finally saved up for another 8GB ram stick and it pays out, especially if you're doing this demanding android stuff. So I did it and...all the things once again function normally, the pc doesn't completely freeze up on some parts while compiling etc. It's still possible on 18.1 to get the build to finish on 8gb if you set the java heap yes, not even -j1 is needed on all parts because that would take way too long.
Thanks for the update. Yeah i can build 17.1 but i need 18.1 for several reasons. I've been applying similar changes that the unofficial maintainer for hammerhead did, but just noticed you have an updated kernel tree so grabbing that one just now. Yeah i know more ram would be better but without income right now so not likely anytime soon.

draekko

Apr 22, 2013
draekko.com

I was recently tinkering with the camera library files and figured out how to get 1s exposure times. I can modify it to show 60s but sadly still searching for that one check that limits it to 1s exp. time.

Provee

May 31, 2021
First off I have to say a huge thank you to @Option58 for developing this rom for us 2017 galaxy a5 and a7 users, you really are amazing for taking the time out of your day to do these things. You have extended the service life of our phones and saved us money o, so thank you!

I do now have some feedback about my experience with lineage os 17.1 on my A5, and yes I did do a clean flash with TWRP recovery and erased all the storages, cache, dalvik etc. The issue I seem to be having occurs on youtube where the videos would constantly freeze and replay, or stutter, or the video would suddenly lag behind the audio and it would freeze and catch up again. I did do a factory reset and reloaded lineage with another clean flash but it did not help. I also have the same issue on youtube vanced.

I also have an issue with ram useage being extremely high to the point where I can not multi task with youtube playing and go through my gallery or other apps. This would work without issue before hand on the stock rom.

So is there any way to reduce ram useage and does anyone have any suggestions to fix my laggy youtube?

Thanks so much and looking forward to lineage os 18.1!

Reactions: shafin baque

shafin baque

Jul 16, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
First off I have to say a huge thank you to @Option58 for developing this rom for us 2017 galaxy a5 and a7 users, you really are amazing for taking the time out of your day to do these things. You have extended the service life of our phones and saved us money o, so thank you!

I do now have some feedback about my experience with lineage os 17.1 on my A5, and yes I did do a clean flash with TWRP recovery and erased all the storages, cache, dalvik etc. The issue I seem to be having occurs on youtube where the videos would constantly freeze and replay, or stutter, or the video would suddenly lag behind the audio and it would freeze and catch up again. I did do a factory reset and reloaded lineage with another clean flash but it did not help. I also have the same issue on youtube vanced.

I also have an issue with ram useage being extremely high to the point where I can not multi task with youtube playing and go through my gallery or other apps. This would work without issue before hand on the stock rom.

So is there any way to reduce ram useage and does anyone have any suggestions to fix my laggy youtube?

Thanks so much and looking forward to lineage os 18.1!

i think for vanced if you streaming with max resolution try just capping it to 1080p and if its not on the streaming side try rolling back to an old build of vanced. And for ram usage im not facing that much problem but it only happens when any app is accessing the camera like if i just slide in instagram to access camera all the apps in the bg gets killed and which i think particularly not a ram usage problem either. Maybe the dev can explain you well.

Reactions: Provee

Provee

May 31, 2021
So I do have the resolution capped, and have tried it without capping it and it still stutters and lags just like it does with the stock youtube app.

Ram useage is a huge issue for me, lets say im multi tasking with youtube open and I open reddit, instagram (window in window mode, or the gallery) it will not be able to load anything until I close youtube. Average ram useage is in the high 2 GB range as indicated by the system settings. So this really does make the phone extremely sluggish.

Another few issues I have experienced are:

1) Low volume overall, I will see if viperfx will fix it

2) the camera is horrendous with the amount of lag and bugs (flash is too quick for the slow shutter) I experience with it - but footej camera app helps alot and nearly fixes all the bugs (solves the slow flash) but it is still sluggish and hdr mode will crash it. Open camera is terrible in my experience.

3) I wish the flash light had more brightness setttings like the stock one did

4) I wish the always on display was a bit brighter, and I do not think it moves around like the stock one did so burn in might be an issue.

5) do no distrub mode is buggy with telegram calls not being let through, I would specifically allow that in the settings and it would show telegram calls as an exception but when the telegram call would be recieved the screen only lights up and it doesn't ring. Then when I check the settings afterwards the call notification exception has been turned off automatically again and I do not know how to fix this. On the stock rom I was succesfully able to make telegram calls an exception on do not disturb but not on lineage for some reason.

Overall I am still quite happy with this OS and thank Option58 for his hard work and thank the lineage os team. Lineage really is a fantastic rom and I am so happy it has extended the service life of this phone.

Eric_Lev

Jan 27, 2019
Angers
androidfilehost.com
Heads up! LineageOS 18.1 preview builds are now up in the third post of this thread.
Dirty flash from official LOS 17.1 to test :
0- Boot to TWRP (the latest)
1- Wipe system and caches
2- Flash lineage-18.1-20210522-UNOFFICIAL-a57y17lte.zip, open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20210513-TEST.zip and Magisk-v23.0.zip
3- Reboot to system
4- Enjoy !

Note:
- I failed to flash MindTheGapps ("Could not mount /mnt/system Aborting")
- This device is not my daily driver.

No sweat so far (see screenshots)

Thank you @Option58 for this great job !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210602-133609_SafetyNet_Test.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133609_SafetyNet_Test.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20210602-131938.png
    Screenshot_20210602-131938.png
    549.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20210602-133416_Franco_Kernel_Manager.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133416_Franco_Kernel_Manager.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20210602-133557_Magisk.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133557_Magisk.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20210602-133633_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133633_Settings.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20210602-133652_LineageOS_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133652_LineageOS_Settings.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20210602-133830_Open_Camera.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133830_Open_Camera.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20210602-133931_GPS_Status.png
    Screenshot_20210602-133931_GPS_Status.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20210602-134210_Styles_&_wallpapers.png
    Screenshot_20210602-134210_Styles_&_wallpapers.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

akamphon

Oct 28, 2013

Would you mind posting the device tree that you used for lineage-18.1? I tried building my own lineage-18.1 using your 18.1 kernel and lineage universal7880-common 17.1 device tree with some modifications. It built successfully but would not boot.

Provee

May 31, 2021
Dirty flash from official LOS 17.1 to test :
0- Boot to TWRP (the latest)
1- Wipe system and caches
2- Flash lineage-18.1-20210522-UNOFFICIAL-a57y17lte.zip, open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20210513-TEST.zip and Magisk-v23.0.zip
3- Reboot to system
4- Enjoy !

Note:
- I failed to flash MindTheGapps ("Could not mount /mnt/system Aborting")
- This device is not my daily driver.

No sweat so far (see screenshots)

Thank you @Option58 for this great job !
So nice! I couldn't pass safety net on my galaxy a5 even with magisk canary - I believe I have to change finger print to do so.

Did you have to make such adjustments to pass safety net or was it ok with magisk?

Eric_Lev

Jan 27, 2019
Angers
androidfilehost.com
So nice! I couldn't pass safety net on my galaxy a5 even with magisk canary - I believe I have to change finger print to do so.

Did you have to make such adjustments to pass safety net or was it ok with magisk?
MagiskHide = enabled
Pick a certified FP (oreo - see screenshots)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-063810_Magisk.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063810_Magisk.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20210603-063740_Magisk.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063740_Magisk.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20210603-063506_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063506_Terminal.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20210603-063846_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063846_Terminal.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20210603-063954_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063954_Terminal.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210603-064011_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-064011_Terminal.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20210603-063905_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063905_Terminal.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20210603-063914_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063914_Terminal.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20210603-063925_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-063925_Terminal.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20210603-064039_Terminal.png
    Screenshot_20210603-064039_Terminal.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20210602-220211.png
    Screenshot_20210602-220211.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Provee

Provee

May 31, 2021
MagiskHide = enabled
Pick a certified FP (oreo - see screenshots)
Just got it done and it worked! You sir are a amazing, thank you for the guide I was too scared to do it myself and when I googled for this beforehand there were so many different solutions I did not know what would work so I kind of just didn't do anything. Now it is totally solved - thanks again!

Edit - after clearing the storage and cache in the play store and of course hiding it with magisk netflix shows up too! Wow this is essentially an oem device again! I am absolutely loving the lineage os experience thanks to @Option58 for the hard work on the rom, topjohnwu for magisk and digeridoohan for making this magisk module!

The only problem I have now is the youtube lagginess and the high ram useage otherwise this is like a new phone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric_Lev

vrobo

Feb 26, 2018
Somewhy the A7 2017 "a7y17lte" LineageOS build has a very basic camera without any settings at all. The app info shows codename "com.android.camera2" instead of "org.lineageos.snap" as in builds for the different phone models (e.g. as in A5 2016 "a5xelte").
//EDIT: my bad, I think the default LineageOS camera was overwritten with "com.android.camera2" after I installed the openGapps.

Is it possible to delete "com.android.camera2" and install "org.lineageos.snap" camera manually into A7 2017, without removing all openGapps or reflashing LineageOS?

Last edited:

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Somewhy the A7 2017 "a7y17lte" LineageOS build has a very basic camera without any settings at all. The app info shows codename "com.android.camera2" instead of "org.lineageos.snap" as in builds for the different phone models (e.g. as in A5 2016 "a5xelte").
//EDIT: my bad, I think the default LineageOS camera was overwritten with "com.android.camera2" after I installed the openGapps.

Is it possible to delete "com.android.camera2" and install "org.lineageos.snap" camera manually into A7 2017, without removing all openGapps or reflashing LineageOS?

It is not overridden with openGapps. Camera2 or Snap is a device maintainer's (so, mine) choice. If you really want Snap I guess you could take it yourself from either that A5 2016 rom, internet or somewhere.

We ship just the basic camera app, yes. Not even Snap is that good. Users usually ask around and find some closed-source Google Camera port that works on their device.

Provee

May 31, 2021
OpenCamera is really good too.
Footej camera is way better, the flash is synchronized better along with allowing you to keep the flash on for photos allowing for easier auto focusing, and footej doesn't crash at all from my experience vs. open camera which crashed and froze (especially after taking photos, or going to the gallery and back or switching modes) all the time. Footej is almost as good as the stock camera imo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New lineage-18.1 build up

It's a minor update. I am finding it very hard to drop the hacks I used. So unofficial status for 18.1 is here to stay, at least for a while.
    • Configured and enabled ZRAM (~1.5GB)
    • Added microphone enhancment blobs for calls from stock rom
    • Synced latest lineage sources
    Microphone blobs are supposed to regulate stuff such as noise cancellaton in calls. They may or might not actually help us here in lineage. Untested, but at least they can't harm for sure.
    Hi guys,
    open your wallets an donate a couple of coins to keep this device alive! ;-)
    I have to say here that the device is going to stay alive or not stay alive regardless of donations. It's because I don't do this for money, but out of passion and when I have time and ability to.

People can only donate to show appreciation of the work that is already done if they think it helped them, not much else. Thanks once again.
    From 17.1 to 18.1: Yeah, I think so. Just be wary of matching the google apps package after you upgrade. Between 18.1 builds yeah of course.

You should always backup however. And if you encounter any issues, you should clean flash.

Hi, for me the upgrade was not working. I tried it's on my testphone, wich has allready los17 installed and full configured. It's got an encrypted storage with a pin passcode. After the upgrade with the adb sideload command the phone boots, take the encrypt key until the pin lock. But when I use my pin, I'll get back to the lockscreen! No login possible.
    I'll test the process again with twrp system wipe.
    Many thanks for your hard work. Los18 Sounds like christmas! Let's bring up to official. If I should further test something, let me know.
    Meanwhile I restore my backup ...
    Donation for your hard work is on the way (y):)
    LineageOS 17.1 Official for Galaxy A5|7 2017

Lineage_OS_Logo_Wiki_main.jpg

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.​

What's working?

• Audio
    • Calls
    • Wifi
    • Hotspot
    • Mobile data
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint
    • Hardware composer
    • OpenMAX (hardware encoding/decoding)
    • Camera (photos + recording)
    • NFC
    • Sensors
    • Vibration
    • Double tap to wake
    • Always on display
    • Software encryption
    • Sepolicy

Supported variants

All variants of Galaxy A5 (2017) and Galaxy A7 (2017). Dual SIM is also supported.

How to install
    1. Make sure you had Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this.
    2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
    3. Download the lineage build and optionally google apps.
    4. In TWRP format data (if you still have stock rom encryption).
    5. In TWRP wipe data and cache.
    6. Flash LineageOS.
    7. Optional: Flash Google apps (rightafter).
    8. Reboot.

LineageOS updater will handle updates automatically (OTA).
    If you're flashing manually, it's okay to dirty flash.

Downloads

A5 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    A7 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    Google apps (arm64): wiki.lineageos.org

Old builds:
    17.1 alpha/beta: androidfilehost
    16.0 last official: mega
    16.0 alpha/beta: get.mcfy.fr
    14.1 last official: get.mcfy.fr

Donations
    Isn't necessary. But if my work really helped you, you could buy me coffee/beer/whatever via this link.

Telegram
    There's a telegram group made by A5|7 users where we hang out. Feel free to check it out.

Credits
    Huge thanks to:
    • @RaymanFX for the original work on lineage 14.1 and thus making this possible.
    • @forkbomb444 for valuable contribution to 7880 sources.
    • @Stricted, @danwood76 and Dario for contribution to exynos platform.
    • @Simon1511 and others for the patches for this device uploaded to lineageos gerrit.
    • @SGTPresticle for doing the testing.
    • LineageOS Team
    • Me, for the infinite hours spent on this project. :p

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][10][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 17.1 Official [WEEKLY], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017 A5 and A7

Contributors
    Option58
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_universal7880

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.140
    ROM Firmware Required: Samsung oreo firmware

Version Information
    Weekly

Created 2018-12-07
    Last Updated 2020-08-13
    LineageOS 18.1 Preview builds for Galaxy A5|7 2017

The same as each year so far, posting these here so the users get to test and see the work on the upcoming android version.

Android-11.jpg

Bugs:
    • Permissive sepolicy
    • Need to drop some hacks (won't affect the end user)
    Download: MEGA | NikGapps or FlameGapps or OpenGapps

Kernel source:
    FAQ
    Help my sim doesn't work
    Please read the installation instructions more carefully. Oreo firmware bootloader and modem is a must.
    You can find the collection along with the guide in THIS xda thread.

I'm sometimes having crackling sound when listening to music
    Turn off 'ok google now' functionality in google app settings. If you have troubles finding it you can as well go to settings>apps, find app called 'google' and disable microphone permission.

Does this rom support VoLTE?
    No. And it likely won't in the near future. Samsung's exynos VoLTE implementation is proprietary and non-standard. It is not possible on AOSP based roms for the time being.

My camera flash doesn't work
    This is an issue with the camera app. Just tap to focus anywhere and it will start working.

My device fails to encrypt
    1. You were likely using older TWRP, update to the latest version
    2. Backup your data somewhere (external sd, pc...)
    3. In TWRP Advanced -> Format data.

My hardware keys light up whenever I touch the screen
    Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Illuminate buttons only when pressed'. You might want to reduce time on the scaler to 1 second, too.

How to switch to full screen gestures
    1. Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Enable on-screen nav bar'.
    2. Navigate to Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation and tick 'Gesture navigation'.
    New build up!

This one is huge. The changelog list is big and I've probably fixed more bugs in the previous 7 days than I did in the past 6 months.
    Lineage 17.1 for this device is getting better and a lot of bugs are squashed now. We can now declare this a beta!

All the changes for this build are now properly sorted and merged-in. You can easily find everything at github.com/LineageOS, build the rom yourselves and contribute with new code, if you are able to.

• Beta 3.0
      • Pulled RIL blobs from G965F Q firmware (more modern, fixes signal strength)
      • Fixed issues with connecting to RILD (fixes in-call volume, fixes echo in calls)
      • Updated GPS blobs from A720S P firmware (better signal, we are actually able to acquire a lock)
      • Updated fingerprint blobs from A720S P firmware (works more reliably, dropped all hacks)
      • Pulled sensors from A720F O firmware (cleaner)
      • Updated DRM to support Widevine L1
      • More HALs are binderized
      • Build FlipFlap (a flip cover app)
      • Fully written and enforced selinux policy
      • Latest LineageOS sources

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=304603
    Also I've just updated my sources so you can fully build the rom again.

I've tested some roms like PixelExperience today on my device. It's not bad with the added 'google' feel to it. Later I might test RR and others.
    All that I'm asking from both developers and users is please be clear that these roms are based on LineageOS. Meaning that most of the hard work that actually got them to work was done here, on LineageOS. And unfortunately most of the issues they are facing as well :p Work was done by RaymanFX, forkbomb, and in the latest days by me. Not respecting this makes me less motivated to keep working on the device.

Cheers :highfive: