[ROM][10][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 17.1 Official [WEEKLY]

Search This thread

sandsofmyst

Oct 17, 2009
Any advices? My phone had had all ofiicial Samsung updates and is now running on Android 8.0.0

I think there is no full perfect Rom in the world forever.

Basically, yes. People do run into issues here. I don't have these issues on stock rom or anything really that I feel the need to move to this rom and have to redo everything. So my A7 is still locked with stock. There isn't a perfect rom but there is good enough.

Security is about the only thing as these phones are not expecting more patches for that. The Android version or features are really backseat over stock compared to security updates since moving to it could cause a person to deal with other issues that wouldn't otherwise be dealt with.

Depends on use and what one wants to deal with. Sometimes custom rom's are the only way to go, sometimes its the worst way to go. For me, my use is not there yet for this one.

Klaas68

Jun 29, 2014
Probably true, I think about moving to custom ROM because Samsung announced that no updates will be done anymore to the stock ROM. But does that guarantee that using a custom ROM will be more secure than the now unmaintained stock ROM ? Still hesitating, als o there is a risk of turning my phone into a brick. For now I will stick to the stock ROM and maybe considering moving to Lineage in a later stage.
THanks for the tips!

Lyaume

Aug 26, 2019
I am using my A5 2017 now for more than 3 years and am still happy with it. I recently read that Samsung will stop the support. For me a good reason to switch to a Custom ROM. I am not totally unexperienced, I rooted and flased my old S Advance some years ago. But I never got that phone stable again.
I just want a stable ROM which I can use for the upcoming year or longer. From what I read the LineageOS is a good choice. But the current version 17.1 contains Android 10, Is that really suitable for this phone? Or maybe an older version is better?
Also the installation instructions in the Lineage site warn for instability and do not recommend installation for daily use... and that is exactly what I want to do. Use it daily just as now :)
Any advices? My phone had had all ofiicial Samsung updates and is now running on Android 8.0.0
Hi,
I'm using LOS 17.1 since the very first day as daily (I updated from 16.0, dirty flashing). I'm using my phone in a professionnal way and the rom is very stable. Since the last big updates, many problem I have encountered are solved : like BT is working very well (also with audio car system), modem mode is stable, wifi is now working well. The only thing which is still problematic is the proximity sensor that doesn't deactivate screen while in phone call. But this can be solved by locking manually the screen while phoning.
I recommend this rom. It's easy to install, well maintained and very good for a daily.

But, yes there is a but, IMO it is necessary to understand what you are doing when flashing. It is important to know how to make saves, and to restore them. In this way, it is very difficult to turn your phone into a brick and lost data, I think.

Lat but not Least, many thanks to the maintainer ant particularly @Option58 !

Reactions: Klaas68

Klaas68

Jun 29, 2014
Hi,
I'm using LOS 17.1 since the very first day as daily (I updated from 16.0, dirty flashing). I'm using my phone in a professionnal way and the rom is very stable. Since the last big updates, many problem I have encountered are solved : like BT is working very well (also with audio car system), modem mode is stable, wifi is now working well. The only thing which is still problematic is the proximity sensor that doesn't deactivate screen while in phone call. But this can be solved by locking manually the screen while phoning.
I recommend this rom. It's easy to install, well maintained and very good for a daily.

But, yes there is a but, IMO it is necessary to understand what you are doing when flashing. It is important to know how to make saves, and to restore them. In this way, it is very difficult to turn your phone into a brick and lost data, I think.

Lat but not Least, many thanks to the maintainer ant particularly @Option58 !

Thanks for your reaction. I have all relevant data on an external SD which makes it pretty save I think. One other point is banking apps. I live in the Netherlands and am client of the ING bank (don't know if there are other Dutch people here?) I requested ING whether their banking app works on a rooted phone with custom ROM and they answered that it won't work. But maybe they are just forced to have that point of view ? I use the banking app on a daily base so it will affect my decision whether or not to go for the custom ROM or go on with the stock ROM as long as possible without the updates from Samsung...
I really like this phone and just want to use it as long as possible. I am actually very much against the "throw away" culture, my microwave (also a Samsung!) is now about 24 years old and still going strong :)

Lyaume

Aug 26, 2019
Thanks for your reaction. I have all relevant data on an external SD which makes it pretty save I think. One other point is banking apps. I live in the Netherlands and am client of the ING bank (don't know if there are other Dutch people here?) I requested ING whether their banking app works on a rooted phone with custom ROM and they answered that it won't work. But maybe they are just forced to have that point of view ? I use the banking app on a daily base so it will affect my decision whether or not to go for the custom ROM or go on with the stock ROM as long as possible without the updates from Samsung...
I really like this phone and just want to use it as long as possible. I am actually very much against the "throw away" culture, my microwave (also a Samsung!) is now about 24 years old and still going strong :)
You don't need to root your phone to use LOS 17.1. However, Safetynet must pass for some banking app
I rooted my phone recently because one app wasn't working. But the banking app was doing fine ! I didn't understand why...
With the root program Magisk, every app is working now with the feature Magisk hide. It hides the root status to the desired app ans problem solved.

My advice is to try the app before try to root the phone.

Option58

Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Another large-ish update incoming.

I've manually upstreamed the linux kernel to the latest 3.18.91 -> 3.18.140. Also updated the ramdisk as well and some configs. And with this A720S rebase is now finally over and done with.

The new build should hopefully arrive...tommorrow(for a5, a7 should follow soon)? I see lineage is doing some server maintainance so not 100% sure. But it eventually will.

We need to thank @SGTPresticle for doing all the testing this entire time. Literally wouldn't be possible without him.

The only thing which is still problematic is the proximity sensor that doesn't deactivate screen while in phone call. But this can be solved by locking manually the screen while phoning.

This problem has also been solved. I'm just waiting for people to review the solution and it will eventually get merged. But likely not as soon as tommorrow.

Furax31

Dec 27, 2016

I've manually upstreamed the linux kernel to the latest 3.18.91 -> 3.18.140. Also updated the ramdisk as well and some configs. And with this A720S rebase is now finally over and done with.

The new build should hopefully arrive...tommorrow(for a5, a7 should follow soon)? I see lineage is doing some server maintainance so not 100% sure. But it eventually will.

We need to thank @SGTPresticle for doing all the testing this entire time. Literally wouldn't be possible without him.

This problem has also been solved. I'm just waiting for people to review the solution and it will eventually get merged. But likely not as soon as tommorrow.

Hi Simon, will the next version be compatible with RiseKernel 1.4.1?

Fire1511

Sep 4, 2019
Oh sh1t here we go again

Android 11 wen

Klaerchen

Nov 6, 2011
Stuttgart
The problem with touchscreen/touchkey deactivation during phone call (proximity sensor) is solved since these 3 commits:
input: touchscreen: zinitix: Add FB notifier callback
input: touchscreen: mms_ts: Add FB notifier callback
input: touchkey: abov_touchkey: Add FB notifier callback

And they are still effective with the new kernel version, I tried it today. Still touchscreen and touch keys are inactive during phone call and blocked proximity sensor.
It's my private builds for A5, but without any differences to the official builds.

Edit: corrected one link

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyaume

Option58

Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
The problem with touchscreen/touchkey deactivation during phone call (proximity sensor) is solved since these 3 commits:

And they are still effective with the new kernel version, I tried it today. Still touchscreen and touch keys are inactive during phone call and blocked proximity sensor.
It's my private builds for A5, but without any differences to the official builds.

Well okay. I submitted the commit to kill the handling in the power hal as well. Glad to hear it is already not a problem.

Reactions: Klaerchen

Lyaume

Aug 26, 2019

You're right, the screen is locked during phone call now.
I tested right now and it's ok with the last build. It seems every bug has been solved.
Thanks a lot.

turtle_seven

Aug 3, 2019
hey there,
A5 (2017) lineageos 17.1. a build of februar. (i don´t update every weekly)
magisk and viper fx runs well.
then
i did a clean new install of lineage 17.1. 20210408
(needed to update twrp to last build too)
magisk last build
wanted viper fx back but driver don´t get installed.
audio fx was disabled.
aml modul installed.
is there a solution to get viper fx run?
anybody knows?
these steps of disable - enable aml and reboot - not reboot i found don´t work to me.
thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today's build contains a rather large update.

The kernel has been rebased on top of the latest A720S drop. You can cofirm this by checking the kernel version in settings - it's 3.18.91 now, up from 3.18.14 we had earlier with oreo kernel. This means more security, but also stability since it's newer. Also, along the kernel, the wifi driver has been rebased and all the configs are from A720S now. This should hopefully finally solve the random reboot issue we were facing. Also the new kernel needs this new usb typec hal that we are also now using.

Another unrelated change is that I merged in more options for Ambient Display. Always on is now not the only option available. Lastly, the rom still won't show whether the device is fast charging or not, but it is now possible to disable fast charging via settings (if you have any concerns about heat or battery lifespan).

Need to thank my friend @SGTPresticle for doing all the testing untill everything was finally working.

The only thing which is still problematic is the proximity sensor that doesn't deactivate screen while in phone call. But this can be solved by locking manually the screen while phoning.

Is lineage 18 in development?Im dont asking for ETA only a little question

It is not. Long story short the latest hardware composer blob we have is from pie (a720s). This worked perfectly fine in android 10 as well. But in android 11 it already started getting old and is not compatible anymore, meaning that we would need to leave it disabled. This, combined with not that big difference android 11 makes for the user experience, made me decide to skip this android version as the costs outweigh the benefits.

There is still some work left to do in lineage 17.1. So I will keep maintaining it instead. As my free time allows it, of course.
    Today's build contains another large update.

Following the kernel, all the blobs and hals have been updated from the latest firmware available to us - A720S pie. We are no longer using any blobs from previous android versions. This could fix some smaller issues we had with those hals before. The blobs in question are: camera, amplifier, sensors, NFC, bluetooth and OMX.

If you ever did any mods to them they will need to get redone. Tagging @Draekko here cause I know you did some camera mods.
    That sounds a bit of an open door. If I move away from the stock ROM, there is probably no going back... I just want to install the most stable custom ROM available, I am not really interested in cutting edge but unstable features.

Tbh the absolutely most stable rom we currently have is OneUI android 9.0 and Korea's rom. You won't encounter any bugs other than known ones. I would 10/10 recommend over stock rom. We'll see if devs will manage to make android 10 OneUI as stable as that, there is some progress.

Lineage is for people that want to escape from Samsung's OneUI skin. I'm trying and it's way better than it was before. But there are still minor hurdles (as you can read in the posts above, but not all complaints make sense 😛). If you can live with them it's totally recommended to switch since for older phones getting rid of Samsung's skin will make the whole phone feel faster. Also android 10 is suitable for this phone. I never push lineage to the new version unless I'm sure it can work at least as stable as before. That's the reason we still didn't get Android 11.

Anyway you're overthinking it. It's absolutely easy to try multiple roms and go back if you don't like it, even to stock rom. A5 and A7 are old phones now so there is every reason to start installing custom roms.
    LineageOS 17.1 Official for Galaxy A5|7 2017

Lineage_OS_Logo_Wiki_main.jpg

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.​

What's working?

• Audio
    • Calls
    • Wifi
    • Hotspot
    • Mobile data
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint
    • Hardware composer
    • OpenMAX (hardware encoding/decoding)
    • Camera (photos + recording)
    • NFC
    • Sensors
    • Vibration
    • Double tap to wake
    • Always on display
    • Software encryption
    • Sepolicy

Supported variants

All variants of Galaxy A5 (2017) and Galaxy A7 (2017). Dual SIM is also supported.

How to install
    1. Make sure you had Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this.
    2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
    3. Download the lineage build and optionally google apps.
    4. In TWRP format data (if you still have stock rom encryption).
    5. In TWRP wipe data and cache.
    6. Flash LineageOS.
    7. Optional: Flash Google apps (rightafter).
    8. Reboot.

LineageOS updater will handle updates automatically (OTA).
    If you're flashing manually, it's okay to dirty flash.

Downloads

A5 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    A7 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    Google apps (arm64): wiki.lineageos.org

Old builds:
    17.1 alpha/beta: androidfilehost
    16.0 last official: mega
    16.0 alpha/beta: get.mcfy.fr
    14.1 last official: get.mcfy.fr

Telegram
    There's a telegram group made by A5|7 users where they hang out. Feel free to check it out.

Credits
    Huge thanks to:
    • @RaymanFX for the original work on lineage 14.1 and thus making this possible.
    • @forkbomb444 for valuable contribution to 7880 sources.
    • @Stricted and @danwood76 for contribution to exynos platform.
    • @Simon1511 and others for the patches for this device uploaded to lineageos gerrit.
    • @SGTPresticle for doing the testing.
    • LineageOS Team
    • Me, for the infinite hours spent on this project. :p

Donations
    Pressing thanks is enough! But if my work really helped you, you can buy me a coffee via this link.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][10][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 17.1 Official [WEEKLY], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017 A3, A5, A7

Contributors
    Option58
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_universal7880

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Samsung oreo firmware

Version Information
    Nightly

Created 2018-12-07
    Last Updated 2020-08-13
    FAQ
    Help my sim doesn't work
    Please read the installation instructions more carefully. Oreo firmware bootloader and modem is a must.
    You can find the collection along with the guide in THIS xda thread.

I'm sometimes having crackling sound when listening to music
    Turn off 'ok google now' functionality in google app settings. If you have troubles finding it you can as well go to settings>apps, find app called 'google' and disable microphone permission.

Does this rom support VoLTE?
    No. And it likely won't in the near future. Samsung's exynos VoLTE implementation is proprietary and non-standard. It is not possible on AOSP based roms for the time being.

My camera flash doesn't work
    This is an issue with the camera app. Just tap to focus anywhere and it will start working.

My device fails to encrypt
    1. You were likely using older TWRP, update to the latest version
    2. Backup your data somewhere (external sd, pc...)
    3. In TWRP Advanced -> Format data.

My hardware keys light up whenever I touch the screen
    Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Illuminate buttons only when pressed'. You might want to reduce time on the scaler to 1 second, too.

How to switch to full screen gestures
    1. Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Enable on-screen nav bar'.
    2. Navigate to Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation and tick 'Gesture navigation'.
    New build up!

This one is huge. The changelog list is big and I've probably fixed more bugs in the previous 7 days than I did in the past 6 months.
    Lineage 17.1 for this device is getting better and a lot of bugs are squashed now. We can now declare this a beta!

All the changes for this build are now properly sorted and merged-in. You can easily find everything at github.com/LineageOS, build the rom yourselves and contribute with new code, if you are able to.

• Beta 3.0
      • Pulled RIL blobs from G965F Q firmware (more modern, fixes signal strength)
      • Fixed issues with connecting to RILD (fixes in-call volume, fixes echo in calls)
      • Updated GPS blobs from A720S P firmware (better signal, we are actually able to acquire a lock)
      • Updated fingerprint blobs from A720S P firmware (works more reliably, dropped all hacks)
      • Pulled sensors from A720F O firmware (cleaner)
      • Updated DRM to support Widevine L1
      • More HALs are binderized
      • Build FlipFlap (a flip cover app)
      • Fully written and enforced selinux policy
      • Latest LineageOS sources

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=304603
    Also I've just updated my sources so you can fully build the rom again.

I've tested some roms like PixelExperience today on my device. It's not bad with the added 'google' feel to it. Later I might test RR and others.
    All that I'm asking from both developers and users is please be clear that these roms are based on LineageOS. Meaning that most of the hard work that actually got them to work was done here, on LineageOS. And unfortunately most of the issues they are facing as well :p Work was done by RaymanFX, forkbomb, and in the latest days by me. Not respecting this makes me less motivated to keep working on the device.

Cheers :highfive:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone