• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][10][OFFICIAL] lineage-17.1 for Pixel 3/XL (blueline/crosshatch)

Search This thread

Bailx

Feb 24, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Your command is wrong.
The correct one would be:
Fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

i did that earlier.... just did it again... and it won't boot after doing that.... says "error boot prepare" (on fastboot screen)

i had repatched the lineage-17.1-20200915-recovery-crosshatch.img in magisk manager again to be sure.... and just tried it again....

my phone won't boot up again now... i guess i'll just leave it this way for a bit instead of reflashing the unpatched lineage recovery (to get it to boot up again).... in case there is something i am missing here

thanks for any help

razorloves

Sep 19, 2007
Miami
Google Nexus 5
Nexus 9
You have to extract the boot.bin image, NOT the recovery. You can use the payload dumper tool for that, as the LOS update image is payload.bin for the complete update, AFAIK.
There's no need to extract it. The boot.img is available on the lineage download portal with each rom. It's renamed to recovery to simplify the install steps, but it's the boot.img.
There is no actual recovery image for pixel devices since there is no recovery partition.

here's a little about why there's no recovery or cache partitions/images for pixels https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab/ab_implement#partitions

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
First of all thank you very much for all the effort. I'm really happy that I'll be able to use LOS.
And I'm sure that there are many others like me out there, that really appreciate what you're doing.
So please don't stop ;)

Before I start flashing just a quick question:
IMPORTANT NOTES:
3. Lineage comes with adb root that you can enable in developer options, but if you want root for apps, you can install magisk using these instructions. Use the file labeled 'recovery image' on the download portal, which is actually just the boot.img. It is renamed to recovery to simplify the rom install steps.
The link https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#boot-image-patching leading to a specific part of the website doesn't work for me - am I the only one? Perhaps it has changed and now is https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images?
Thanks again!

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
So far everything is working. The only minor problem I have is that the app "SIM Manager" is crashing every ~20sec and the popup is telling me this. That was a little annoying.
For now I deactivated the app hoping it isn't needed.

Last edited:

vman10

Nov 4, 2011
Am I able to install this rom from official 11? Do I need to install in differently to what is posted?

razorloves

Sep 19, 2007
Miami
Google Nexus 5
Nexus 9
The link https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#boot-image-patching leading to a specific part of the website doesn't work for me - am I the only one? Perhaps it has changed and now is https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images?
yeah, must of changed recently. thanks. link in first post fixed.

The only minor problem I have is that the app "SIM Manager" is crashing every ~20sec and the popup is telling me this.
unfortunately the esim manager app needs gapps. so if gapps are not installed, the app crashes. so it's fine to just disable it.

Am I able to install this rom from official 11? Do I need to install in differently to what is posted?
look at the install instructions in first post. first thing it says is:
"WARNING: Before following these instructions ensure that the device is on latest Android 10"
so install latest 10 factory image. and fyi, you don't have to install it to both slots. just follow instructions here https://developers.google.com/android/images

Last edited:

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
Just to understand it: In order to keep Magisk working after a LOS update I'll have to do the sideloading process with the magisk_patched.img every time again, right?

justDave

Nov 17, 2006
Just to understand it: In order to keep Magisk working after a LOS update I'll have to do the sideloading process with the magisk_patched.img every time again, right?
No. After the upgrade completes but just before you reboot you should switch to the Magisk manager and reinstall Magisk using the "Install to Inactive Slot (after OTA)" option. After that, let Magisk reboot.

Note that this option was recently disabled on some devices, including ours. As far as I can tell this was done because of a change in the upgrade process for Android 11. It doesn't apply to Lineage 17.1. To reenable that option, I run this in a root shell before starting Magisk manager:
Code:
resetprop ro.product.brand goggle
If the manager was already running you'll need to kill it and restart.

That's what I've been doing and it's been fine so far, but it stopped working recently - I don't see a simple way to bypass the new check. YMMV such is life, as they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleh815

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
No. After the upgrade completes but just before you reboot you should switch to the Magisk manager and reinstall Magisk using the "Install to Inactive Slot (after OTA)" option. After that, let Magisk reboot.

Note that this option was recently disabled on some devices, including ours. As far as I can tell this was done because of a change in the upgrade process for Android 11. It doesn't apply to Lineage 17.1. To reenable that option, I run this in a root shell before starting Magisk manager:

If the manager was already running you'll need to kill it and restart.

That's what I've been doing and it's been fine so far. YMMV as they say.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll give it a try when the next update arrives.
It would be helpful having this information in the OP.

b8842dc0

Nov 11, 2015
Is anybody having update problems with the latest nightly? I have a pixel 3 (blueline) that is successfully running the September 15 nightly. Today, I updated to the October 27th nightly. The phone never successfully boots up. I see nothing but the lineage boot animation. Finally, after about 10 or 15 minutes, it reboots a few times, and finally finishes booting -- and I'm taken back to the September 15 image. Obviously, the A/B partition stuff is working well, thankfully -- as I'm back on a working image. But I'm not sure what is going on that is preventing me from updating to a newer version. I might try the previous week's October 20th nightly, but I guess I'm hoping to hear some reports from others before I keep working on it.

Thanks!

xuser_

Nov 13, 2016
@razorloves, Guys

We know that google officially removed DSDS feature but if anyone know any workaround for the same in any rom or someway please do share it here for all such users!

Thanks

@razorloves,

Thanks for the official LOS support :)
Any comments on this for our device? can we enable it by default in the ROM?
https://www.reddit.com/r/android_beta/comments/cetxng/guide_get_dsds_dual_sim_dual_standby_on_pixel/

Enabling this and using the same RADIO img with all other latest images should bring back DSDS for roms on pixel 3/xl?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts