[ROM][10][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Razer Phone

Search This thread
Oct 5, 2013
Hello! I've really enjoyed having this ROM as my daily driver over the last month, however there are a few major quirks that have affected me on every build thus far.
  • Most of the time, when placing an outgoing call, the receiver's voice audio sounds like a chipmunk, and you can't make out what they're saying. There are a few workarounds: have them call you back (for some reason incoming calls are fine), restart phone (usually fixes it), or turn on WiFi calling (disabling again reverts to broken state)
  • A few strange audio glitches. When quickly pausing/unpausing videos, the audio volume will jump to max volume for a split second before fixing itself. Audio volume overall sounds very quiet on loudspeaker.
I'd personally suggest swapping out the audio driver for a different one, LOS seems subpar in this regard. I tried all sorts of methods to swap out audiofx for V4A in hopes of fixing these issues and was unable to get it working with LOS.

-SKYLINE-

May 25, 2007
So I made some progress with resolving some of the issues I had.

Got rid of requiring to go into recovery to boot up normally problem and the reversed show arrow keys while typing problem. It seems to be related to the instructions on the official lineage page for Cheryl skipping over unlocking bootloader critical partitions. Razer Insider seems to have some semi-endorsed instructions on installing Lineage (https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/razer-phone-1-cheryl-lineageos-installation-guide.59275/). I did unlocked the bootloader critical partitions (which wiped my existing data) and without doing anything else, the problems were gone. Flashed magisk, and still it was fine.

However, I was left with another problem, if I pushed restart (system, recovery or bootloader) it would just power down. Then powering on would continue to whichever restart method. Minor annoyance, which led to a lot more investigation with little progress.

Best result so far is following @crecsky in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...os-17-1-for-razer-phone.4087619/post-82573351. This got me to be able to restart once normally. Then I installed magisk, then now it randomly repeats the shutdown instead of restart problem.

Some things I found out from the many hours I spent today on the instructions out there which I hope will save some time for others:
  1. There appears to be problems with Windows 10 version 2004, which causes the fastboot driver not to properly work. I did not see if there were further updates for my computer as I found an old desktop with an older windows 10 version.
  2. The fastboot flash boot_a boot.img command needed to be changed to fastboot flash:raw boot_a boot.img. This applies to boot_b and to flashing the lineage recovery image. When flashing back to stock, you need to edit the flash_all.bat so that the flash:raw is updated for the boot.img, otherwise you will have bootloop.
If anyone has any idea on the restart shutdown instead of restart problem, please share. Thanks

Randomginger

May 16, 2012
As mentioned in my past posts, my Razer Phone on 17.1-20200801-NIGHTLY-cheryl with Magisk have been having strange problems (must go into recovery in order to reboot or start the phone to avoid being stuck on the loading boot screen and swapped cursor left and right keyboard arrows).

I'm looking to start fresh and completely wipe my phone over the next couple days. Just want to see if anyone on Magisk avoided the above problems and if there are any special tips on this.
I'm running latest magisk on this ROM and all is fine. Boot to recovery to start issue is resolved, I can count 3 or 5 lineage start animations before startup, I get excited every time it starts with no issues.

If I use the double tap power button to start camera and then want to unlock the screen stays dimmed. Power button tap to sleep and wake fixes.

The vibration is mega annoying and sounds like phone is going to explode.

I don't use Gapps. I have magisk, Xposed and MicroG running.

-SKYLINE-

May 25, 2007

However, I was left with another problem, if I pushed restart (system, recovery or bootloader) it would just power down. Then powering on would continue to whichever restart method. Minor annoyance, which led to a lot more investigation with little progress.

If anyone has any idea on the restart shutdown instead of restart problem, please share. Thanks

Did more testing, flashing lineage (20201212 build) only using @crecsky I mentioned in my post above and official lineage installation method (ie no gapps or magisk)... The restart shutdown rather than restart problem seems to be a lineage problem.

After first boot, if you only do restart, is fine and will restart as it should. However, if you power off once, then next time you turn it on and push restart, it would 'shutdown' (ie halt the restart process after it turns off). Power off again doesn't seem to fix this.

munsened

Jul 13, 2012
Anyone else having issues with WiFi hotspot? Phone says that its on/working but my other devices can't see/find the network, even if I type in the network id.

munsened

Jul 13, 2012
I pushed a possible fix for this, try next build when it's out.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick response!

Just updated to the January 2nd build and still having same issue. Other devices not picking up a WiFi signal from the phone. Even if I try to manual add the Razer Phone network to other device it still won't see it. Also if I turn hotspot off I can't turn it back on as it will say error in the settings menu. Only way to be able to turn hot spot back on is to reboot.

Tried to describe as best I can but please let me know if there's anything more I can do to help.

Side note... Just wanted to say again how much i really appreciate all the work you've put into making lineage on Razer a great experience!

BananasGoMoo

Jul 23, 2012
Hi,

I wanted to start by saying I really appreciate the work you do on this ROM.

1 issue I've noticed:
When I enable VoLTE it has a problem where if Wifi Calling is enabled it makes everyone's voice squeaky and chipmunk-like. If I disable Wifi Calling this usually fixes it but there's still sometimes an issue. However if I totally disable VoLTE, while it does fix the calling issue, text messages become very delayed/non-existent. So I have to enable VoLTE except when making calls. I am on T-Mobile if that helps at all. I've been using LOS since January and that's the only issue I've noticed so far, but it's frustrating so if there's any way to fix it, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It turns out this is not a LineageOS problem but a problem between certain carriers and Android 10 in general. This seems to specifically be a problem most commonly with T-Mobile/T-Mobile MVNOs. The fix(es) that worked for me were:

1: Delete and re-add the APN for the carrier
2: Dial *#*#4636#*#* and make sure VoLTE is enabled in that menu
3: During a phone call, if the audio sounds strange, enable and then disable speakerphone

I am not sure what combination of these worked but I did all 3 and now it's working fine.

Last edited:

-SKYLINE-

May 25, 2007
In case anyone is using Magisk and encounter bootloops after OTA (and must go into recovery to boot again... Which then shows the update didn't install properly), I just learned that you have to "uninstall Magisk > restore image" then install the OTA without reboot followed by "install Magisk in inactive partition and reboot". Finally, able to update to latest LineageOS!

For more details, read https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/ota.html

Reactions: dungeon_mesher

TR15T4N

Oct 24, 2012
Tavares
Last OTA update caused my RP to go into a boot loop. Phone shows Razer logo, volume up and power does nothing. volume down and power brings up the boot loader menu. selecting START, restated boot loader, recovery mode, and wipe userdata go back to the boot loop. phone does not show up on ADB. any help?

-SKYLINE-

May 25, 2007
Last OTA update caused my RP to go into a boot loop. Phone shows Razer logo, volume up and power does nothing. volume down and power brings up the boot loader menu. selecting START, restated boot loader, recovery mode, and wipe userdata go back to the boot loop. phone does not show up on ADB. any help?

From what I remember, if you're in bootloader, ADB would not be showing up. Try and see if fastboot sees your devices
Code:
fastboot devices

If it doesn't show up and you're using Windows 10 version 2004, try to use another version. I had this problem in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/advanced-charging-controller-acc.3668427/

Once you can get fastboot working, you may want to consider starting the whole installation process again. My posts from December 2020 should have detailed what I tried and my progress.

Right now, I'm on LineageOS 17.1 2021-02-15 with Magisk (so banking apps work) and boots reliably (no bootloop issues anymore). Before learning about "uninstall Magisk > restore image" mentioned in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...os-17-1-for-razer-phone.4087619/post-84491579 OTA would send my phone into bootloop but I think my installation from December 2020 got the A/B partition working properly so I was able to go into Recovery and boot from the other partition.

Dec 13, 2020
Redmi Note 8
I'm running latest magisk on this ROM and all is fine. Boot to recovery to start issue is resolved, I can count 3 or 5 lineage start animations before startup, I get excited every time it starts with no issues.

If I use the double tap power button to start camera and then want to unlock the screen stays dimmed. Power button tap to sleep and wake fixes.

The vibration is mega annoying and sounds like phone is going to explode.

I don't use Gapps. I have magisk, Xposed and MicroG running.
YES, I would love to reduce the vibration if someone knows how! Like maybe through build props or an overlay file setting??

Otherwise, this ROM is literally the only lifeline to this phone. Big thanks to the maintainer who is obviously putting in the heavy lifting to keep this updated!

mikeioannina

Recognized Developer
Mar 22, 2011
Ioannina
YES, I would love to reduce the vibration if someone knows how! Like maybe through build props or an overlay file setting??

Otherwise, this ROM is literally the only lifeline to this phone. Big thanks to the maintainer who is obviously putting in the heavy lifting to keep this updated!
Vibration intensity has been reduced on lineage 18.1 codebase. It's pretty stable right now, just waiting for lineage build infrastructure to be set up for android 11 nightlies.

numbawon

Nov 1, 2006
Razer Phone
I've just installed the March 13th build last night, I've noticed since then the call audio, regardless of weather it's through the earpiece or the Bluetooth devices is gained up a bunch to where anybody I'm talking to, their audio is clipping really hard. I can turn the volume down, and the audio is still clipping and loud, even when the volume is turned all the way down for calls. So that says to me that the volume is boosted on the input side of the audio processing.

Anybody else? is there a fix?

thanks.

BananasGoMoo

Jul 23, 2012
Hi,

Just updated to 18.1 a few days ago. Installed OpenGapps 1-30-2021 for Android 11 (Micro version, Test).

Everything seems to be working perfectly except about once a day I need to restart the phone at some point because it stops charging (plug in the USB and it says "plugged in, can't charge right now" on the battery settings page). Is this a known bug? Not a major problem but it's annoying. Just wanted to bring it up in case it wasn't known (or if its an issue on my side).

Thanks.

EDIT: I've noticed that if I don't charge all the way to 100%, it doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: dungeon_mesher

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Vibration intensity has been reduced on lineage 18.1 codebase. It's pretty stable right now, just waiting for lineage build infrastructure to be set up for android 11 nightlies.
    I noticed that 18.1 nightly is being pushed to the Lineage download page. Are these considered stable? Is it intentionally in userdebug mode too?
    Hi,

Just updated to 18.1 a few days ago. Installed OpenGapps 1-30-2021 for Android 11 (Micro version, Test).

Everything seems to be working perfectly except about once a day I need to restart the phone at some point because it stops charging (plug in the USB and it says "plugged in, can't charge right now" on the battery settings page). Is this a known bug? Not a major problem but it's annoying. Just wanted to bring it up in case it wasn't known (or if its an issue on my side).

Thanks.

EDIT: I've noticed that if I don't charge all the way to 100%, it doesn't seem to have the same problem.
    Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"]#include <std_disclaimer.h>[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */[/COLOR]

Detailed installation instructions:
    Install LineageOS on cheryl

Download link:
    LineageOS Downloads

Recommended Google Apps package:
    Open GApps (choose ARM64 as Platform and 10.0 as Android, use the Variant you want. Recommended nano package)

Changelog:
    Changes for cheryl

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Known bugs:
    - Can't switch FPS (defaults to 120)
    - Can't switch screen resolution (defaults to 2560x1440)
    - Double tap to wake is not working

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to mikeioannina
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 for Razer Phone (cheryl), ROM for the Razer Phone

Contributors
    mikeioannina
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Recommended 9.0 - P-MR2-RC001-RZR-N.7083 (automatically installed with the ROM)
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-04-23
    Last Updated 2020-04-23
    @mikeioannina

Any idea why pretty much all phones are now weekly builds rather than nightly?

There are issues with almost half the build servers so we switched to weekly builds temporarily because there wasn't enough time to compile all devices in 24 hours.

I am also seeing this issue with the latest build (20200704).

Phone calls work fine, the recording app also captures audio fine, but for other apps such as Hangouts or MobileVOIP the other side cannot hear.
    Microphone permissions are granted to the apps, issue happens also when using a wired headset.

Is this a known problem, and is there any workaround?

I have merged some potential fixes for the mic that should be in next build.

Any chance this'll get to the Razer Phone 2? Kinda cheesed the RP1's now gotten Android 10 before the RP2 :p

If someone donates an RP2 then yes. I don't think anyone in lineage got that device.

Build servers are not up yet after the recent events but they will be up as soon as the migration to new infrastructure is complete.

I've been working on various issues on the device, 120Hz was broken (panel ran at 120Hz but android thought it runs at 90Hz) so there was noticeable jank. I fixed that issue so now it should run at 120Hz smoothly.
    Hi,

Thanks.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone