[ROM][10-Q][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for the LG V20 variants

Search This thread

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
What version of gamma kernel are you using along with what ir blaster app?

IR blaster works on my H910A after installing Gamma kernel 3.0. That was the only version I could find aside from 20.0 (which is for LOS 18.0 and didn't run right on my phone with LOS 17) since the Gamma kernel download page links are dead.

IR blaster wouldn't work for me with the stock LOS 17.1 kernel.

Reactions: DonVasaschi

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
IR blaster works on my H910A after installing Gamma kernel 3.0. That was the only version I could find aside from 20.0 (which is for LOS 18.0 and didn't run right on my phone with LOS 17) since the Gamma kernel download page links are dead.

IR blaster wouldn't work for me with the stock LOS 17.1 kernel.
Okay, thanks. I am having some doubts about flashing the gamma kernel because I have magisk 20.4 on the phone now (it appeared to have auto updated some point yesterday). I would like to know can I go ahead and flash the gamma kernel 3.0 and not encounter any booting problems also would I have to flash the thermal and audio mods? And if so could you possibly share the order in which i should do it, it will be much appreciated. I will spend some time today finding the files but I won't flash anything until I hear back from you or someone else that have done it based on how my phone is currently setup.

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Okay, thanks. I am having some doubts about flashing the gamma kernel because I have magisk 20.4 on the phone now (it appeared to have auto updated some point yesterday). I would like to know can I go ahead and flash the gamma kernel 3.0 and not encounter any booting problems also would I have to flash the thermal and audio mods? And if so could you possibly share the order in which i should do it, it will be much appreciated. I will spend some time today finding the files but I won't flash anything until I hear back from you or someone else that have done it based on how my phone is currently setup.
Make a TWRP backup of your boot partition before putting gamma kernel in. You can always roll back to stock kernel by restoring just that partition and wiping cache if something goes wrong or you don't like it.

The gamma kernel install is as straight forward as it comes. Boot into TWRP and just flash the flashable gamma kernel zip file that's the correct one for your v20 model. It doesn't matter if you flash it from internal storage or SD card.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using Gamma 3.0 because that's the only one I could find that's compatible with LOS 17. I tried using version 20.0 which is for LOS 18 and my system ran all choppy and generally like crap so I switched to 3.0 and it's fine except that I noticed the KSMD process taking up a bit of CPU almost constantly while my screen is on, so I manually disable it by going to /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run and changing the 1 to a 0. This can be automated with a startup script or even set to automatically apply with a kernel manager app on startup. They really need to fix the downloads section for Gamma kernel, because there are many versions newer than 3.0 that supposedly have improvements and bug fixes all the way up to version 10.0, but nobody seems to have those other gamma kernel versions available anywhere that i could find.

If for some reason you don't have working root after the kernel install, boot back into TWRP and flash Magisk again. The Magisk stuff is tied into your boot image (kernel), so I've found I usually need to reinstall it after restoring an old kernel.

Also flash the modded stock thermal engine config after the kernel from TWRP. I think there are just 2 files in the package, and i found where the originals were on my system and made backups of them just in case i didn't like it so i could go back, but nobody ever goes back on those... just me being cautious.

I'd also recommend staying with the Magisk version you are currently using. Don't upgrade to the new version. Magisk started blocking root apps that it arbitrarily thinks aren't worthy of root in the later versions which made it so that I couldn't use ES File Explorer anymore as root(old safe version of it). I don't like that and just want root manager to be simple and do what it's told.

Last edited:

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
Make a TWRP backup of your boot partition before putting gamma kernel in. You can always roll back to stock kernel by restoring just that partition and wiping cache if something goes wrong or you don't like it.

The gamma kernel install is as straight forward as it comes. Boot into TWRP and just flash the flashable gamma kernel zip file that's the correct one for your v20 model. It doesn't matter if you flash it from internal storage or SD card.

If for some reason you don't have working root after the kernel install, boot back into TWRP and flash Magisk again. The Magisk stuff is tied into your boot image (kernel), so I've found I usually need to reinstall it after restoring an old kernel.

Also flash the thermal modded stock thermal engine config after the kernel.

I'd also recommend staying with the Magisk version you are currently using. Don't upgrade to the new version. Magisk started blocking root apps that it arbitrarily thinks aren't worthy of root in the later versions which made it so that I couldn't use ES File Explorer anymore as root(old safe version of it). I don't like that adjust want root manager to be simple and do what it's told.
Thanks for the reply bro, I've been holding out waiting in your reply, i will definitely try it when I get off work in the next 6 or so hours. I will inform you how it goes.

UPDATE

I've returned with positive news. The ir blaster is now working. Along with flashing the thermal file and editing the file you suggested everything is fantastic. It's a minor issue but I currently have to install 3 different camera app on the phone. In one the selfie is blurry, in the other the selfie is super sharp and the stock lineage camera app records audio low (tested the back camera and not the selfie camera) is it possible to just install an audio mod just for boosting the audio when recording or could there be a flashible zip that tells the microphone to record on a higher decibels than normal so as the playback in the video may seem normal (hopefully not too baffling). Let me know if that is something that could work (theoretically yes but in reality???)

Last edited:

rsr911

Aug 22, 2014
I was on stock rooted Oreo with TWRP and installed LineageOS 17.1, nanodroid and magisk. Working fine but fingerprints (at least) don't work.

As I understand it I need to use LGUP to flash back to nougat, then install LineageOS to get the fingerprints to work.

Can anyone confirm that and will I lose TWRP when downgrading to nougat?

If I lose TWRP then I assume I use the dirtysanta method to get TWRP back and then flash Lineage like I did before. Is that correct.

Sorry just a little confused after reading all 58 pages in this thread.

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
I was on stock rooted Oreo with TWRP and installed LineageOS 17.1, nanodroid and magisk. Working fine but fingerprints (at least) don't work.

As I understand it I need to use LGUP to flash back to nougat, then install LineageOS to get the fingerprints to work.

Can anyone confirm that and will I lose TWRP when downgrading to nougat?

If I lose TWRP then I assume I use the dirtysanta method to get TWRP back and then flash Lineage like I did before. Is that correct.

Sorry just a little confused after reading all 58 pages in this thread.
You'll lose TWRP if you go back to Nougat since you have to do it by KDZ. Just re-root with filthy Santa, install the right firmware files for your device from TWRP (unless the KDZ was the right one for your device... Meaning not an H910A), and then do lineage install. I did the 15.1, 16, 17 progression of lineage so I could make sure my fingerprint sensor and various other devices worked after each install (did a factory reset after each one).

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for the reply bro, I've been holding out waiting in your reply, i will definitely try it when I get off work in the next 6 or so hours. I will inform you how it goes.

UPDATE

I've returned with positive news. The ir blaster is now working. Along with flashing the thermal file and editing the file you suggested everything is fantastic. It's a minor issue but I currently have to install 3 different camera app on the phone. In one the selfie is blurry, in the other the selfie is super sharp and the stock lineage camera app records audio low (tested the back camera and not the selfie camera) is it possible to just install an audio mod just for boosting the audio when recording or could there be a flashible zip that tells the microphone to record on a higher decibels than normal so as the playback in the video may seem normal (hopefully not too baffling). Let me know if that is something that could work (theoretically yes but in reality???)

I also ran into a bunch of issues with every Camera that I've tried on this Rom. They all pretty much crash on occasion (even the one that comes with the ROM). As you mentioned, the stock camera that comes with it takes unuseably blurry selfie pics. I tried various GCam ports with various configs and none of them could do a combination of front cam, selfie cam, video and audio recording successfully. The one that I found which did all of them is TRCamera. I'm using TRCamera and currently bouncing back and forth between Maciek and Diablo configs. Weird thing though..... all of a sudden my selfie cam on the stock camera now shoots clear shots in the past few days instead of those blurry ones. I don't get it. It seems like me messing around with GCam and TRCam settings somehow kicked my stock Lineage camera into now working for selfies, which is nice since that seems to be the most stable of the bunch despite not necessarily having the most features or having much for customizable options.

BloodyIron

Feb 25, 2017
I really hope the Friday release fixes Exchange Services on my device, because if not, I'm going to wipe and re-flash from two weeks ago and not update for a while. :/

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
I also ran into a bunch of issues with every Camera that I've tried on this Rom. They all pretty much crash on occasion (even the one that comes with the ROM). As you mentioned, the stock camera that comes with it takes unuseably blurry selfie pics. I tried various GCam ports with various configs and none of them could do a combination of front cam, selfie cam, video and audio recording successfully. The one that I found which did all of them is TRCamera. I'm using TRCamera and currently bouncing back and forth between Maciek and Diablo configs. Weird thing though..... all of a sudden my selfie cam on the stock camera now shoots clear shots in the past few days instead of those blurry ones. I don't get it. It seems like me messing around with GCam and TRCam settings somehow kicked my stock Lineage camera into now working for selfies, which is nice since that seems to be the most stable of the bunch despite not necessarily having the most features or having much for customizable options.
Yes. It sucks but that's the price we pay as testers. Could you somehow send me the exact settings you're currently using for trcamera and GCam. I'd like to see if I can possibly improve on those while also wishing that my stock lineage camera starts to take selfies better.
Also in-between those three camera has the audio after recording a video increase or is it still low?

rsr911

Aug 22, 2014
You'll lose TWRP if you go back to Nougat since you have to do it by KDZ. Just re-root with filthy Santa, install the right firmware files for your device from TWRP (unless the KDZ was the right one for your device... Meaning not an H910A), and then do lineage install. I did the 15.1, 16, 17 progression of lineage so I could make sure my fingerprint sensor and various other devices worked after each install (did a factory reset after each one).

Thanks much! I kinda figured.

What I did was flash H91810p using Uppercut after I made sure I had all the LGUP drivers, dll, and program installed. That got me back to nougat stock.

Then I used FWUL inside a virtual machine (I have a persistent version) and ran RunningNak3d's TWRP scripts, step 1 and step 2. That got me TWRP which I then used to flash to the newest TWRP.

From there I flashed LineageOS, Magisk, and Nanodroid GAPPs. Its working great!

My goal was a degoogled phone and that's what I have now. When I tried to install on Oreo fingerprints didn't work but they work fine now!

Now I just gotta figure LineageOS out. I have a few banking apps I need that I can't find apk files for. Looks like I can just use Aurora store to get them from Play anonymously.

I must have had a brain cramp earlier. Like duh! Of course flashing back to stock nougat kdz would wipe out TWRP lol. But it never hurts to ask. Only reason I didn't use dirty Santa is I've never used it before but I have used FWUL. Just gotta make sure you have the right kdz to work with the script.

Anyway again, much thanks! I'll have to find a lineage forum or thread as well as nanodroid so I can learn the ins and outs and keep big tech from spying on me.

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks much! I kinda figured.

What I did was flash H91810p using Uppercut after I made sure I had all the LGUP drivers, dll, and program installed. That got me back to nougat stock.

Then I used FWUL inside a virtual machine (I have a persistent version) and ran RunningNak3d's TWRP scripts, step 1 and step 2. That got me TWRP which I then used to flash to the newest TWRP.

From there I flashed LineageOS, Magisk, and Nanodroid GAPPs. Its working great!

My goal was a degoogled phone and that's what I have now. When I tried to install on Oreo fingerprints didn't work but they work fine now!

Now I just gotta figure LineageOS out. I have a few banking apps I need that I can't find apk files for. Looks like I can just use Aurora store to get them from Play anonymously.

I must have had a brain cramp earlier. Like duh! Of course flashing back to stock nougat kdz would wipe out TWRP lol. But it never hurts to ask. Only reason I didn't use dirty Santa is I've never used it before but I have used FWUL. Just gotta make sure you have the right kdz to work with the script.

Anyway again, much thanks! I'll have to find a lineage forum or thread as well as nanodroid so I can learn the ins and outs and keep big tech from spying on me.
You can get official safe versions of banking app apks by installing the app from the Play store on an Android Emulator like Knox and then finding the APK in /Data/app on the Emulator and copying it off to your phone. Kind of a pain to do if they regularly update it though.

Reactions: rsr911

BloodyIron

Feb 25, 2017
Updated to daily that rolled out yesterday. Did not properly solve the Exchange Services issue. Going to wipe device clean and re-flash to two weeks ago and not update for a while. Really annoyed the updating ecosystem breaks things like this. Punishing me for wanting to stay secure and updated.

rsr911

Aug 22, 2014
You can get official safe versions of banking app apks by installing the app from the Play store on an Android Emulator like Knox and then finding the APK in /Data/app on the Emulator and copying it off to your phone. Kind of a pain to do if they regularly update it though.

That would work. Then I could fire it up from time to time and let it update and grab the new apk files.

Anything wrong with just using Aurora store though?

rsr911

Aug 22, 2014
Where are you finding TRCam?

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using Gamma 3.0 because that's the only one I could find that's compatible with LOS 17. I tried using version 20.0 which is for LOS 18 and my system ran all choppy and generally like crap so I switched to 3.0 and it's fine except that I noticed the KSMD process taking up a bit of CPU almost constantly while my screen is on, so I manually disable it by going to /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run and changing the 1 to a 0. This can be automated with a startup script or even set to automatically apply with a kernel manager app on startup. They really need to fix the downloads section for Gamma kernel, because there are many versions newer than 3.0 that supposedly have improvements and bug fixes all the way up to version 10.0, but nobody seems to have those other gamma kernel versions available anywhere that i could find.

Also flash the modded stock thermal engine config after the kernel from TWRP. I think there are just 2 files in the package, and i found where the originals were on my system and made backups of them just in case i didn't like it so i could go back, but nobody ever goes back on those... just me being cautious.

I'd also recommend staying with the Magisk version you are currently using. Don't upgrade to the new version. Magisk started blocking root apps that it arbitrarily thinks aren't worthy of root in the later versions which made it so that I couldn't use ES File Explorer anymore as root(old safe version of it). I don't like that and just want root manager to be simple and do what it's told.
Disgusting... That is absolutly unacceptable. So they are now deciding which apps deserves or does not deserve root?

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Disgusting... That is absolutly unacceptable. So they are now deciding which apps deserves or does not deserve root?
It seems so. I'm sure it's of noble intent so that people don't install untrustworthy apps with root permissions, but I'm of the opinion that once you root your device the responsibility to act as warden of your root apps should fall on us and not have it decided for us by the root manager's programming.

nexus5+user

Dec 23, 2020
Did it work fine on stock? I recently got my H918 to work fine on 17.1 with fingerprint sensors and things. Don't have a flip case to test with since my mom took it (will be back in 2 weeks).
Try what I did:
1. Flash latest TWRP 3.5 and reboot to recovery
2. Wipe everything except External SD. Format
3. Flash following in chain: H91810u > Permissiver_v5.zip > LOS 17.1 > GAPPS (optional) > Permissiver_v5.zip
Howdy there,
Do you have an update on the case please good sir?

Thank you kindly & Bless

Reactions: BloodyIron

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lineage dev has now opened their sources for official nightly builds of LineageOS 17.1 for the V20
    @x86cpu and npjohnson are the lead maintainers for the device

You can now download the nightly build and Lineage recovery at

https://download.lineageos.org
    NOTE: Tap the hamburger menu button on the left to see the device sources, scroll through LG and look for your variant

Long Live LG V20!!
    LG Quad Dac "temporary" Fix

I managed to get hifi dac working on LOS17.1.
    flash stock mixer zip. (make sure the script path is Q compliant)
    on /vendor/etc/audio_platform_info.xml
    set these
    or you can use the flashable zip with the patch pre-applied in the attachment
    Code:
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_HEADPHONES" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_LINE" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_VOICE_HEADPHONES" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_VOICE_LINE" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_VOICE_TTY_FULL_HEADPHONES" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    <device name="SND_DEVICE_OUT_VOICE_TTY_VCO_HEADPHONES" backend="headphones tert-mi2s-headphones" interface="SEC_MI2S_RX" />
    open terminal emulator
    Code:
    su
    tinymix 2138 1
    tinymix 2134 Hifi
    now you can plug in headphone jack.
    you can use tinymix to control db gain of each left and right also amp control of es9218.
    you need to run that tinymix command everytime you reboot or if the sound is gone again.
    keep in mind you can't switch this on or off, proper hal is needed for the switch.
    i hope x86cpu implements this in the future.

Qualcomm WCD Dac will be "blocked", if your app exclusively use this IT WILL NOT OUTPUT ANY SOUND!

Update : rev2+ flashable zip should get you working hi-fi dac audio right away, no more need to run tinymix.
    If you still have issues, run the tinymix code above.
    Installing official Lineage 17.1 on F800L

Requirements:
    Lineage 17.1 US996 Official ROM (Modified by removing Assert)
    Pico GApps arm64 10
    Gamma Kernel v20
    TashaXML
    Thermal Config
    Adreno 530 OpenGL 3.2 v454 non treble
    Vulkan 1.1.128 non treble
    Magisk
    Busybox (magisk module)
    Safety Patch v3 (magisk module)
    File manager with Text Editor (e.g Root Explorer)

1. Downgrade to Nougat (I'm using F800L10e as my base ROM)
    2. Root using DirtySanta's method & install TWRP.
    3. Reboot for system initialization
    **skipped 1 & 3 if already rooted

4. Reboot to TWRP recovery
    5. Wipe phone then format data
    6. Install the modified Lineage 17.1 then wipe dalvik cache
    7. Reboot to system
    **Camera, Flashlight, Fingerprint Torch are working
    **SELINUX = Enforcing

Note: Always perform Wipe Dalvik Cache on every installation.
    8. Reboot to TWRP recovery
    9. GApps
    10. Gamma Kernel v20
    11. Tasha XML & Thermal Mod
    12. OpenGL & Vulkan
    13. Reboot to system
    **Login google account

14. Reboot to TWRP recovery
    15. Flash Magisk
    16. Flash Busybox
    17. Safety Patch v3
    18. Reboot to system
    19. Install File Manager that support Text Editor (e.g Root Explorer)
    20. Go to "/data/adb/modules/safetypatcher/
    21. Edit "post-fs-data.sh" using text editor
    22. Delete Line 11 "mount -o bind /data/local/tmp/cmdline /proc/cmdline" then save
    23. Restart your phone.

Optional:
    trCamera
    ACC (magisk module)

u81lobR.png

9ajhf5D.png

YzcxDfi.png

Bug:
    Delay Charging :)
    Installation from Oreo Stock to LO 17.1

Hello, a newiee user over here, looking to give my small grain of sand to this community for first time. I will mention my experience in case any other new on custom rooms want to install the LOS 17.1 on the V20.

I have a H990DS from The Philippines as daily driver (an no other one) this was with the CUSTOM Room from Taiwan installed with LGUP, but the battery life and responsiveness were getting worse every day.

As soon as the first version of the Official LOS 17.1 came out I started to work on it, I followed the steps presented in the official LOS web page (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/h990) and with some minors problems that reading some post and redoing some steps I could ROOT (with DirtySanta), and install TWRP to install the the LOS.

1. Remember to backup (in my case with LG Bridge) I was on Stock not Rooted Oreo ROM and downgrade to Nougat with LGUP, I used the first distribution of the Country where I bought the Phone. But you can found the room in (https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h990ds-firmwares/#tab=firmwares) for H990. This steps are specified in the post of the bootloader unlooking.
    2. During the Boatloader unlooking and ROOT Process on the H990 (https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/dirtysanta-h990-t3624296): I experience some problems in the first install with the TWRP, but instead of executing 2 times the TWRP installation using Fastboot, I repeat the steps from the beginning and do it 4 times (remember to wait the 30 seconds between each execution and also keep in mind that the Step 1 of the DirtySanta process the do not indicate in the RUNMEFIRST.bat the conclusion to run Step2, so when the Step1 finish in the terminal execute the Step2.
    3. During the installation of the LOS 17.1 (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/h990/install), the TWRP could not read the ro.product.device and ro.build.product, to resume the final option to repair this LOS installation and future updates the resolution is to update the TWRP version that is in the DirtySanta steps, I use the last TWRP (a unofficial version) from Phoenix591 that is done for the H990 (https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=301109) I used the 3.3.1-1 version. With this not only the LOS initial installation, also Kernel and LOS updates install without any problem.
    4. Root and Kernel change, With this I installed Gamma Kernel by Omar (https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/kernel-gamma-kernel-us996-ls997-h910-t3788279), specifically the AnyKernel SS (Secondary Screen by iDefalt), the normal one apart of disable de 2nd Screen give me some responsive problems with the bottom part of the screen, with the 3 recommended .zip (Stock Tasha XML Audio, Stock Thermal Engine and Vulkan Adreno GPU Drivers) also the Magisk 20.4 qith the Manager (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk) for ROOT
    5. Problem with the Camera and sensors, looking the way to test the recommendation from Landoord of the Permissive SELinux using the .zip https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82181429&postcount=27 after instlling the .zip using TWRP the SELinux was permissive and the Camera and Sensors (light sensor for screen, Flashlight and screen rotation sensor) start to work. The good news is that after installing the next daily update of LOS 17.1 the SELInux returned to a reinforced state, this confirmed in the Trust option of the OS, but the sensors keep working. They have a initial crash but after a restart and until know the are working. In some sometimes the camera have a delay to start but works in WhatsApp, Camera app (LOS, Gcam 6.1 ElDiablo2 version https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-alexey070315/#apk1340 with the V20 XML https://xdaforums.com/v20/themes/gcam-6-1-port-cameras-supported-hdr-t4027393 and ProCamX).

A final note: To finish to mention since the first LOS 17.1 installation I never had any problem with the Video reproduction in WhatsApp and only ones until today the screen frees during the night charge, and replying a question in the threat, never going back to STOCK at least in the LG V20 (my first and last LG), their software support sucks! and for daily driver works without mayor problems since the first OS version on April 2nd until today April 7th.

I hope this helps to those like me are new in the Custom room world to give more years of live to our old but good device, and remember the search functionality is your best friend!
    Yes fingerprint does work the only thing I'm having an issue with is getting the flashlight and camera to work. Not sure which version of gcam by cstark I should use. Also in order to get fingerprint to work you may need to flash the nougat downgrade firmware for your device and then flash this ROM.

Had the same issue and tried everything between here and the moon to no avail. Still no camera or sensors. I tried upgrading from unofficial 15.1 - 16.0 - official 17.1 but for some reason, but it always broke on 16.0 and 17.1, thought 15.1 worked fine.
    So I made the jump from 15.1 straight to 17.1 and guess what, camera and sensors didn't work.
    I tried again in a different way:
    From a nougat base without to-x86cpu.zip (for safe official updates) I flashed the unofficial lineage 15.1 and booted into it.
    Went back to recovery and wiped data, cache and dalvik (excluding internal storage and system), then I installed Official lineage 17.1 (the same build that didn't work before), the latest gapps, gamma kernel and magisk and then set selinux to permissive by flashing Permissiver_V4.2.zip from https://xdaforums.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/pie-erfan-gsi-ports-t3906486 , wiped cache, booted up and boom!, the same build that wasn't working for three days is now working. Video playback also working perfectly after adding @x86cpu's line of code to build.prop (it's up there somewhere). Left it to charge overnight and didn't hang up like previously. So I'd say, a totally absolutely stable experience for me. Tested on H910/US996/VS995 by the way.