Search This thread

old.splatterhand

Recognized Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
Saturn III
HTC One (M8)
Android Wear
My experience with this rom:
1. TWRP versions higher than 3.3.1-0 MTP is not working and making a backup fails, then deleting the failed backup throws an error, the only way to delete the failed backup (I use externalSD) is to connect external SD to a PC and delete. I haven't tested creating backup to internalSD, but I can guess that would fail, then TWRP will not be able to delete the failed backup. I only bring this up because TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 was recommended in this thread. I have tested all TWRP higher than 3.3.1-0 including the latest, they all have these issues. TWRP v3.3.1-0 works fine.
2. Restoring a backup of AICP 16.1 with TWRP leads to bootloop and a rythmic soft popping sound from speakers as it boots forever. However, easy fix is to dirty flash rom, this works nicely even Magisk and LSPosed work after dirty flash, but GAPPS will break, so you flash GAPPS on top and all is well.
3. MTP is broken in AICP. I can select "File Transfer" in settings instead of "Charging", but it does not mount the storage to my PC. If I reboot to TWRP 3.3.1-0, while leaving USB plugged in to PC, MTP in TWRP works fine.
I have the M8 Verizon variant BTW.
1 & 2: This is not an experience with the rom, this is Twrp related.
3: Have you disabled Usb debugging in developer settings? If it's enabled, MTP don't work. It's a known issue on this device.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
I work with twrp-3.6.2_9-0-m8.img on Aicp 16.1 and also tried the fresh LOS 19.1.
Backups and restores were no problem at all.
Are you on VZW? I've tried multiple times to use TWRP versions higher than 3.3.1-0, and I have the same behaviour - I'd like to be able to use the latest TWRP - I even tried it on my other VZW M8 (retired because of bad battery), same problems, so I don't think it's my device, but it could be that higher version TWRP does not work right on VZW variant, but works fine on other variants, otherwise I can't explain why this happens on my M8 but not on yours. I'm gonna keep trying though, cause I'm obsessive like that :) Thanks for telling me.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
1 & 2: This is not an experience with the rom, this is Twrp related.
3: Have you disabled Usb debugging in developer settings? If it's enabled, MTP don't work. It's a known issue on this device.
1 & 2 are certainly TWRP related, but as I said, I only said it because I saw TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 was recommended.
3 Ya, after I posted this I read the OP for some LOS M8 rom and it mentions exactly what you said, that it's known issue, but it recommends to uninstall Windows HTC drivers as a solution - I will try the USB debugging, that's a much better solution, thanks.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
I asked tarkzim over at his LOS 19.1 thread and he said AOSP cannot enable HD Voice (VoLTE), but Verizon will do away with CDMA by the end of the year (already doing it in some areas), I'm desperate, I love this phone, it's been 8 years for me and over 100 roms I've flashed and played with, good times indeed - and I realize no one answered my previous question, but is there ANYTHING anyone can do to make this phone still work as a phone using Verizon's HD Voice on some newish AOSP? I can make it work, but only with Sense or GPE, and that's limited to Marshmallow, soon to become extinct as far as apps that will still be supported.
So I got to talk to the VZW Tech support manager earlier tonight because my VZW M8 hasn't had phone/sms service for over 2 weeks. I already could see that CDMA service was not available in my area, and she confirmed that VZW is slowly shutting down CDMA in different areas. If I drive about 30 min on the freeway, my phone will start to make calls because VZW has not yet shut it off everywhere, but where I live, it's a no go.

I wanted to see if I can get her to enable HD Voice on my line since I can edit an XML in /system/customize in Sense/GPE and add the Advanced Calling feature in Settings and I can use it and it will "Activate" Advanced Calling 1.0 successfully, but even so, the M8 will not use the VoLTE for calling, it still uses CDMA. I even used my VZW M9, which has HD Voice feature in settings and that works fine, it activates VoLTE and calling/sms works fine in my area, then I switched my SIM card back to the M8, and the Advanced Calling button in Settings said I have HD Voice enabled on my line, instead of offering to enable it, but still no VoLTE on M8. Though, HD Voice is available for US T-Mob on M8.

The point is, the VZW Tech Manager told me the hardware antenna for calling/sms is simply NOT HD Voice capable, because the M8 has slightly different hardware depending on what carrier you have. I knew this to some extent because I used to have Sprint service a while back and I read in some post on XDA that the WiFi antenna chip on the main board in Sprint branded M8 is different and smaller physically compared to the VZW branded M8, and has crappier performance - at the time I thought that was weird, but after tonight's conversation with VZW manager, I understand. Also, she said the Windows VZW M8 DOES have HD Voice capability, go figure, too bad Windows sucks as a phone OS.

I write this for other poor souls out there on US VZW M8 who think maybe there is a way to continue phone/sms service without CDMA (that's what I've been thinking/hoping) - our phones have now been turned into a very tiny WiFi-only tablet and no custom ROM or system tinkering can fix that because VZW M8 hardware cannot do HD Voice, and that's the end of it. BTW, my 4G/LTE data connection still works fine, but VZW manager said this too will probably stop working when VZW is finished turning off all CDMA service by the Jan1st '23 deadline.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
Looks like no weekly this week, is this the end?
That would be sad, AICP on the M8 is so nice, battery is great, customizations are excellent and plentiful, and the UI looks so damn cool too, even speaker sound is OK (nothing beats BoomSound tho). LOS is fine, but AICP is far more featured and polished, especially in this Andr11 generation.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
IDK, I see the M9 releases have happened and they're upgraded to AICP 17.1
The last 16.1 for the M9 was the same day as the 16.1 for the M8 - it doesn't look so good for the M8 - I hope I'm wrong.

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
I'm still hoping the M8 will get picked up for 17.1 too, but after 2 weeks with HIMA getting 2 updates, I think it's not happening. Maybe someone can make an unofficial, is that possible?

ze7zez

I'm still hoping the M8 will get picked up for 17.1 too, but after 2 weeks with HIMA getting 2 updates, I think it's not happening. Maybe someone can make an unofficial, is that possible?
Ralf Luther's announcement on the AICP Discord Community about Devices marked with a "#" was from June 14, and @tarkzim released LineageOS on July 4. So wait patiently.

p.s.
Unfortunately, on many other devices, LOS 19.1 runs with many limitations to earlier versions of LOS.

Reactions: imonxda

imonxda

Jan 26, 2016
You're welcome.
I apologize if I mistook the question.
But this is what works for me.
There is no need for apology, and you didn't misunderstand the Q - sometimes I have a hard time seeing the easy answer, but its still funny :)
Yes, in fact, Airplane ON and then WiFi on works perfect and it even stays that way after screen off and works with Smart Network to have WiFi automatically off with screen off, then ON with screen on, while maintaining Airplane mode, so yay!
I need Airplane mode 'cause I have no sim card in it and it seems to drain battery with no sim card unless I use Airplane mode.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
There is no need for apology, and you didn't misunderstand the Q - sometimes I have a hard time seeing the easy answer, but its still funny :)
Yes, in fact, Airplane ON and then WiFi on works perfect and it even stays that way after screen off and works with Smart Network to have WiFi automatically off with screen off, then ON with screen on, while maintaining Airplane mode, so yay!
I need Airplane mode 'cause I have no sim card in it and it seems to drain battery with no sim card unless I use Airplane mode.
Ok good deal!
I am the same my M8 is a backup ATM so using WIFI is essential while being Airplane On.
Glad I could help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone know if there is a way to adjust airplane mode to allow wifi?
    I just turn airplane on then wifi on, working fine for me
    Ok good deal!
    I am the same my M8 is a backup ATM so using WIFI is essential while being Airplane On.
    Glad I could help.
    Don't worry.
    It's going on.
    Ralf Luther's announcement on the AICP Discord Community about Devices marked with a "#" was from June 14, and @tarkzim released LineageOS on July 4. So wait patiently.

p.s.
    Unfortunately, on many other devices, LOS 19.1 runs with many limitations to earlier versions of LOS.
    You're welcome.
    I apologize if I mistook the question.
    But this is what works for me.
    logo_black.png

AICP
    Android Ice Cold Project

AICP is known by everyone as the "Ice Cold Project" that started on a Desire HD years ago (2012) and since then has evolved into a mature ROM with the BEST community that you can find!!!

Until Android Lollipop, the ROM has always been based on AOKP. Unfortunately, since AOKP stopped development (but made a comeback later), we changed our base to CM.
    With the re-brand of CM to LineageOS (LOS) we became LineageOS based with some tweaks from AOSP and we was based on the "Ground Zero Open Source Project" (GZOSP) for Android Pie.
    For Android 10+11 we are now full AOSP-based.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
    */

features.png

Feature list (rough overview)

credits.png

In the beginning we would like to thank:

GZOSP team
    LineageOS & CM (R.I.P.) team
    @maxwen and the rest of the OmniRom team
    DU team
    SlimRoms team
    Resurrection Remix team
    Community

team.png

@LorD ClockaN
    @zipsnet
    @eyosen
    @semdoc
    @SpiritCroc
    @wartomato
    @eboye
    plus the rest of the crazy bunch that we call "team"

donations.png

We are paying for servers that build nightlies/weeklies and everything that comes with it, so EVERY DONATION will really be appreciated and be used to cover those expenses.
    Thank you!!

downloads.png

Download-Links:
    ROM: https://mirror.codebucket.de/claymore1297/AICP/16.1/m8/ https://mirror.codebucket.de/claymore1297/AICP/16.1/m8d/
    TWRP: https://github.com/CaptainThrowback/android_device_htc_m8/releases
    GAPPS: https://mirror.codebucket.de/claymore1297/GAPPS/open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20201108-UNOFFICIAL.zip

Please note that official builds will be deleted from our servers every month due to maintenance services.
    We advise everyone to keep at least the latest or best working build on their device as a backup.
    Maybe copy it to a cloud service or USB too.

changelog.png

issues.png

What's working
    -wifi
    -mobile data
    -camera
    -bluetooth
    -audio
    -DT2W
    -AICP Themes
    -GPS
    -mobile data signal strength

What's not working
    - encryption

FAQ:
    Before using the ROM:

Q. Does this ROM support custom kernels officially?
    A. No. You can still use them, but discussion should go in the thread of the respective kernel. We don't offer support for bugs you might encounter while using them!

Q. Why doesn't this ROM support Xposed?
    A. Xposed is a hack that is geared towards AOSP. Custom ROMs modify the framework a lot, so Xposed can cause a ton of issues on custom ROMs. Now it might work for you, however it is not to be discussed in this thread, and you should refrain from posting bug reports.

Q. Alright, but I still want to flash Xposed, so which version do I need to install?
    A. Xposed is not yet released for Pie, however you can try to use edxposed .

Flashing the ROM:
    Q. What do I need to know before flashing?
    A. Check the flashing instructions...

Q. Can the builds be dirty flashed over each other?
    A. Yes, however make a nandroid backup first as there is a chance of getting a bootloop or encountering bugs. Also bugs may only be reported on a clean flash.

Q. How do I 'dirty flash' builds?
    A. Wipe the System, Cache and ART/Dalvik cache. Flash the ROM, GApps (only needed if you wipe the system), your preferred root solution and reboot. Or just use the OTA app to preform that task for you.

Q. How do I flash kernel builds?
    A1. If it's a .img file, boot into TWRP and go to the install page in TWRP, in the bottom right corner select "install image", select the desired kernel, then select "boot" as the destination, then swipe to flash, then go back to the install screen and install your root method again, if you don't want to loose root and reboot.
    A2. If it's a flashable ZIP, you can flash it together with a ROM update or separately. Go to the install page in TWRP, choose the kernel zip (or add it to the flash queue right after the ROM zip). Then add your root method to the queue if you don't want to loose root. Now swipe to flash and reboot afterwards.

Using the ROM:

Q. I installed a bad theme and now I'm getting a bootloop, how do I fix it?
    A. In TWRP, flash the substratum rescue zip that's in the substratum folder on the internal storage.

Q. I'm having issues with WhatsApp, how do I fix it?
    A. Read this

Q. Do I need to provide a logcat if I'm reporting a bug?
    A. If you want it to be fixed faster (or at all) then yes, you should definitely provide a logcat. (Note: Please just link the logcat from your GDrive, Dropbox, etc. and do not post the content here. Thanks.)

Q. How do I get a logcat, what type should I get and more questions that can conveniently be answered by my pre-determined answer?
    A1. Read this thoroughly. Also, here's a good app for getting logs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tortel.syslog (Root needed).
    A2. If you are already rooted, you can use the built-in feature to make a logcat and provide that. Just look into the others section in the AICP Extras main page.

instructions.png

The ROM should contain everything you need to enjoy Android Pie. You don't need to install any Add-ons, simply download the latest ROM and GApps, then follow the flashing instructions and go!
    If you want the device to run the ROM "rooted", you can flash a root solution of your choice after the ROM Zipfile.

It is STRONGLY recommended to fully wipe your device before flashing and please avoid restoring system apps and system data with Titanium Backup (or with any backup/restore app) as this can cause stability issues that are very hard to debug, restoring regular apps is fine though.
    If you believe you know what you're doing - then fine, go ahead, but please don't complain if you experience any strange behavior.

How to flash for the first time:
    (Again: Don't do it if you don't know!)

1. Download the ROM and GApps and transfer them to your device.
    2. Boot to recovery (TWRP recommended).
    3. Wipe the System, Cache, and Data (you might need to format the data partition!).
    4. Flash the ROM Zipfile.
    5. Flash the GApps (optional, needed for e.g. Google Playstore to work).
    6. Reboot and set up your device, enable developer settings and in them OEM unlock/Advanced reboot/USB tethering.
    7. Reboot back into TWRP recovery.
    8. Flash the root solution of your choice (optional).
    9. Reboot your device.
    The procedure may vary from device to device and is a bit different on system updates!

The ROM has GApps persistence in between dirty flashes, so you only have to flash them once! This might differ on AvB Devices.

Currently supported Root Solution:

Magisk canary

PREREQUISITE FOR OTA ("Over-The-Air" Updates):
    TWRP recovery is needed to be able to flash using the built-in OTA app.
    Please make sure that you are on the latest TWRP recovery, keep in mind that this could also be an unofficial version!
    On encrypted devices you will have to enter your PIN/password in TWRP before the process starts.

If you want to contribute to AICP, or want see what is being worked on/merged, feel free to visit our Gerrit code review system. (Link is at the bottom!!!)

sources.png

Kernel source:
    Device tree source:

ROM & Additional links:
    AICP's Homepage
    AICP Gerrit Code Review
    AICP sources on Github
    AICP Download page for official builds and media content
    AICP Discord Community

AICP Telegram channel for server notifications on official builds

Contributors:[/B]
    @Claymore1297

The following information is ONLY needed if you are not opening up a devdb thread on XDA!
    ROM OS Version: 16.0 Android 11
    Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Requirements
    TWRP: 3.3.1

Version Information:
    BETA
    Release Date: 14-09-2019

You want to see a "normal" night at the "DEV office", click here!!

XDA:DevDB Information
    AICP 15.0, ROM for the HTC One (M8)

Contributors

Claymore1297
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2020-12-09
    Last Updated 2020-12-09
    #### New build is up!! ####

the build is containing mainly the following:
    -minor fixes
    -january ASB

AICP features:
    -phonograph music-app

Enjoy!
    Anyone know if there is a way to adjust airplane mode to allow wifi?
    I just turn airplane on then wifi on, working fine for me

-upgrade to AICP 16.1 -> downloadlink has changed now!!

-minor fixes
    -december ASB
    -SELinux enforce

AICP features:
    -pulse
    -snapcam-app
    -new gallery-app

Enjoy!

-minor fixes
    -march ASB