[ROM][11.0][POTTER] crDroid v7.20 [21.07.2022]

Search This thread

cjdijk

Apr 25, 2021
I am not using encryption, and yes, I did do a format data, as I always do. I just combined the wrong GApps with CrDroid 7.20 (Open GApps Nano instead of FlameGApps basic), causing my bootloop. I can't check my old logcat, have already performed a clean install over it, using FlameGApps.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
I am not using encryption, and yes, I did do a format data, as I always do. I just combined the wrong GApps with CrDroid 7.20 (Open GApps Nano instead of FlameGApps basic), causing my bootloop. I can't check my old logcat, have already performed a clean install over it, using FlameGApps.
Oh, I'm with you -- I know you weren't using encryption. It just seems that these ROMs are particularly sensitive to getting stuck at the boot animation, and I'd particularly like the encryption process to not do that, lol.

It'd be awesome if we could reach a point in our knowledge of the boot up process such that we wouldn't need to resort to clean installing them practically every time one of these boot issues happens. Some sort of safe mode would be great -- but we also just need to find out how to stop these individual services from looping at boot in the first place. Like remove a line from a startup file or whatever, and then the phone will successfully boot again.

cjdijk

Apr 25, 2021
Yes I would almost say, i don't need encryption, I am no criminal who wants to hide something. For me formatting data and bootloop is no problem. I can just copy all of the data from my other Moto G5 Plus. But I guess no one else does have two of the same smartphones. But I agree it would be nice to know everything about Custom ROM's and how to troubleshoot. If there was not something like Corona, I still would have use Android 8.1 which is old, but still usable. But I had some time to spare, so I decided to learn myself about Custom ROM's. And ofcourse it's nice to show of with Android 11 to other people who have an newer and more expensive Samsung with an older Android. And often including a crack in it's screen, becouse it's much more fragile comparing to our Motorola. I still like this smartphone a lot.

Reactions: mmortal03

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Yes I would almost say, i don't need encryption, I am no criminal who wants to hide something.

Yeah, for sure, I completely understand. My reasons are actually for security reasons, not really privacy. While I know there can be limitations even *with* encryption, I believe it's particularly important to have it when using a phone with an unlocked bootloader, such that certain contents, like Google Authenticator or cryptocurrency stuff, are under a layer of encryption -- in case it ever got stolen.

Mind you, I may just choose to keep such stuff stored on an up to date, stock device with a locked bootloader, but it's nice to have options.

Last edited:

pss34

Apr 17, 2015
Kyiv
Some appliances like Android Work Profile need encryption to work now. Moreover, I'm not a criminal, but there is war in my country so I'd like to be able to lock my phone from accessing my data if enemies got it.

cjdijk

Apr 25, 2021
I did think CrDroid 7.15 was very low on battery usage and mobile data usage, but CrDroid 7.20 is even much better. Great job!

The only thing I am a bit missing in CrDroid is, when picking it up it shows date and time. After some searching in settings, I also see a wheater report. But no other info like coming Calendar appointments. This is a working feature in DotOS. How do I enable that in CrDroid?

danchase

Jul 24, 2022
I tried several times to both install from PC, and update from within the device, to crDroid v7.20 [21.07.2022] and it made the device unbootable each time. I had to wipe the device and re-install the February version to get it working again.

The February version on the Moto G5 Plus works well for things like Chromecasting the screen without any noticeable latency. It's unfortunate Moto's declined against the other major brands, making it a lot harder to get ROMs produced by anyone. My Moto G Stylus was dropped from updates after only 2 years and now nobody makes ROMs for it. I'll never buy another Moto. Samsung has started providing updates for 5 years on their similarly priced mid-range devices, making all the wiping and installing of ROMs unnecessary for a long time after purchase.

Last edited:

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
@danchase , I can't say for sure why you weren't able to update, but even a clean install requires flashing the ROM first, then *formatting* data after. I had no problem installing 7.20 clean this way.

cjdijk

Apr 25, 2021
@danchase: A few years ago Samsung also didn't give updates very long, also just 2 years. I know the Consumentenbond (from the Netherlands) did start a law suite against them, about that. They have won it, so now Samsung give 5 years updates for all their smartphones. I have send the Consumentenbond a mail about this, asking to do the same for Motorola(Lenovo), and if possible also for other brands.

I am by the way not a big fan of Samsung. Their Android contains lots of bloatware. Their smarphones are much more expensive for smartphones having the same specifications. Their smartphones are very fragile, lot's of people do have a crack in their screen after dropping it out of their pocket. Check youtube for drop tests, only Apple is even worse in comparision to Samsung.

danchase

Jul 24, 2022
@danchase: A few years ago Samsung also didn't give updates very long, also just 2 years. I know the Consumentenbond (from the Netherlands) did start a law suite against them, about that. They have won it, so now Samsung give 5 years updates for all their smartphones. I have send the Consumentenbond a mail about this, asking to do the same for Motorola(Lenovo), and if possible also for other brands.

I am by the way not a big fan of Samsung. Their Android contains lots of bloatware. Their smarphones are much more expensive for smartphones having the same specifications. Their smartphones are very fragile, lot's of people do have a crack in their screen after dropping it out of their pocket. Check youtube for drop tests, only Apple is even worse in comparision to Samsung.
I've used a Samsung flagship before, the S8. It was okay but definitely not the most responsive phone I've ever used. I like my Google Pixel XL with LineageOS the best. If I ever get another new phone from a store, then it will have to be one of the few that get at least 4 years of updates like Samsung or Apple. The others are disqualified as far as I am concerned. I'm not paying another $300 for a phone that only gets 2 years of updates like happened with my 2020 Moto G Stylus. Better to buy a used phone cheap off Ebay and put LineageOS on it.

Reactions: pss34

t_aus_m

Nov 3, 2018
Hey there,

I am running into issues using WiFi on my potter. The device won't connect to my WiFi, regardless if I choose the 5 GHz or the 2.4 GHz one. I've managed to find out that the issue seems to be that the device does not support WPA3 Personal and seemingly refuses to fall back to WPA2 if trying to connect to a WPA2/WPA3 Personal network. At least that is the setup of my WiFi access point. If I open up a network that only supports WPA2, everything works fine and the phone connects.

Does someone happen to know a workaround for this problem that does not involve turning off WPA3 on my WiFi?

Thanks!

cjdijk

Apr 25, 2021
My router is from 2019, it does only support wpa and wpa2, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. And my Moto G5 Plus (2017) does connect to wpa2 on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so I can't test wpa3 for you. wpa3 was invented in 2018, so I guess only new smartphones have (hardware) support for wpa3.

pss34

Apr 17, 2015
Kyiv
The same thing with wpa3.
It's strange because device with no wpa3 support has to fall back to wpa2. But potter failed to do that.

Reactions: t_aus_m

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
My router is from 2019, it does only support wpa and wpa2, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. And my Moto G5 Plus (2017) does connect to wpa2 on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so I can't test wpa3 for you. wpa3 was invented in 2018, so I guess only new smartphones have (hardware) support for wpa3.
@pss34 , same here, I've not tried wpa3 with this phone -- I'm using wpa2 with my router. I searched this thread, and another person mentioned last year that they could not connect to wpa3 with this ROM.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
So, our phone has not to advertise support of WPA3, as I understand.
Right, potter stock firmware only provides up to WPA2 support. But as far as the fallback support on your router for connecting to WPA2 if the device doesn't support WPA3, it's hard to say what the underlying cause is. I've seen weird incompatibility issues in router firmware and phone firmware before.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there, I just joined the "crDroid club" with having flashed the latest crDroidAndroid-11.0-20220816-potter-v7.21 one week ago. Before that I was running AOSiP-10-Gapps-potter-20210316 which became sluggish and unusable after more than one year in use, so I looked for something else and stumbled upon crDroid.

These are my currently found issues:
    1.) Flashing the rom with the FlameGApps Basic/flashing as described did not work. I installed the latest twrp-3.6.2_9-0-potter.img, cleared and formated, rebooted and tried to flash in that order:
    - crDroidAndroid-11.0-20220816-potter-v7.21.zip
    - latest FlameGApps Basic
    - Magisk-v25.2.zip
    I tried it about 5 times, it always ended in a bootloop with a kernel crash early on and just keep on looping the boot animation

The only thing that worked was flashing:
    - crDroidAndroid-11.0-20220816-potter-v7.21.zip
    - open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20220215.zip
    - Magisk-v25.2.zip

After booting I had immediately seen an error that an com.quicinc.cne.cneservice.cne service app crashed, but other than that it was ok.

2.) Everytime I disable data services/mobile data, the crash of the called com.quicinc.cne.cneservice.cne service app does happen again. Mobile data works however, once enabled

3.) WPA3 does not work, I have an AP that speaks WPA2+WPA3, if I have it set in that mode the phone will see the network but never connect. Only if I hard set it to ONLY WPA2 it will connect. It does not seem to be able to negotiate to only use WPA2, but just ignore connecting altogether if it stumbles upon a WPA2+WPA3 access point (which become more and more...)

4.) Pressing the home button will always if it should launch with crDroid Home or Pixel Launcher, even if crDroid Home was set as "always" in this question menu and in the settings itself. It will also ask for which launcher to use if its unlocked after a new boot.

5.) Fingerprint sensor does not work. Even with removing SIM, rebooting, inserting SIM - did not help. It just kept crashing OK Google service, T Google Service and X Google service. Trying to open the Fingerprint gestures results in crashing the app.
    Did you forget "format data"? My full guide is here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-11-0-potter-crdroid-v7-20-21-07-2022.4041689/post-87166707 I don't use WPA3, but have read here that only WPA and WPA2 are working. My fingerprint sensor does work fine (for unlocking and banking app), but if I want to (re)boot, I first need to remove my simtray, and after (fully) booting put it back in. I did not install Magisk and use an older TWRP (but the newer one should also work fine).
    o someone to give me a quick tutorial on how to put the ROM?
    Here is the guide I always use myself, to switch to another ROM. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...7-20-21-07-2022.4041689/page-15#post-87166707 Some addition. If after rebooting, your phone stucks on CrDroid bootlogo. Just do the same procedure a second time. The first time I got this, I thought it had to do something with (wrong) GApps, but it seems to happen always when switching from a different rom to CrDroid. And ofcourse: always use the latest CrDroid and GApps. If you are new, still using the original Moto G5 Plus Android 8.1, you need to do much more steps. I have a Dutch manual here: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/66796802#66796802
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:
    https://github.com/crdroidandroid/crdroid_features/blob/11.0/README.mkdn

Flashing Instructions:

Pre-installation:

First time installation:
    • Backup your data to PC, OTG flash drive
    • Flash recovery and boot to recovery
    • Wipe system, data, cache and format data, then reboot to recovery
    • Copy ROM, Gapps & Magisk to internal memory then flash them in TWRP in same order
    • Reboot and enjoy :)

Update installation:
    • Boot to recovery and make a backup (not necessary)
    • Flash updated ROM
    • Reboot and enjoy :)

Sources:
    ROM:
    https://github.com/crdroidandroid
    Kernel source:
    https://github.com/GZR-Kernels/Optimus_Drunk_Potter

Download:
    Rom: https://crdroid.net/potter
    Changelog: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crdroidandroid/android_vendor_crDroidOTA/11.0/changelog_potter.txt

Known isues:
    - You tell me

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid Community Telegram
    Donate to help our team pay server costs

XDA:DevDB Information
    Crdroid 6 for Moto G5 Plus, ROM for the Moto G5 Plus

Contributors
    GtrCraft
    Source Code: https://github.com/crdroidandroid

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked Bootloader, Latest TWRP Recovery
    Based On: LineageOS
    7.12 update:

Changelog:
    - Initial crDroid 7.12 code base
    - Updated to November 2021 security patches
    Update Time
    You will get a notification for OTA soon or you can download from https://crdroid.net/potter

Changelog:
    - Selinux is now Enforcing
    - Encryption should work now (untested)