• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11.0][taimen] PixelExperience [AOSP][OFFICIAL]

Search This thread

stunna27

Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone know if the issues with now playing are fixed? Or the pause in music when unlocking the phone? Or if restoring your text messages with a clean flash is still broken?

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
Sending 'recovery' OKAY Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: 'No such partition.') fastboot: error: Command failed

What do I do now, but I want to keep my data and I only read on the PE homepage that I have to repartition the device? Before that I had extracted the boot.img for Magisk with payload_dumper. Then I downloaded the OTA and installed it as normal. Active slot was "a" slot I think ... device has also successfully installed the system. As always, Magisk was gone. Then I patched the boot.img and installed it on the "b" slot in the bootloader with fastboot. After that the device didn't boot anymore and the PE recovery told me that the data was damaged ... now I'm trying to get the thing to boot again.

fastboot flash boot PE_recovery.img on both slots but phone doesn't boot into recovery or something ... only fastboot works!

Anyone here who can help?

Last edited:

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
Sending 'recovery' OKAY Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: 'No such partition.') fastboot: error: Command failed

What do I do now, but I want to keep my data and I only read on the PE homepage that I have to repartition the device? Before that I had extracted the boot.img for Magisk with payload_dumper. Then I downloaded the OTA and installed it as normal. Active slot was "a" slot I think ... device has also successfully installed the system. As always, Magisk was gone. Then I patched the boot.img and installed it on the "b" slot in the bootloader with fastboot. After that the device didn't boot anymore and the PE recovery told me that the data was damaged ... now I'm trying to get the thing to boot again.

fastboot flash boot PE_recovery.img on both slots but phone doesn't boot into recovery or something ... only fastboot works!

Anyone here who can help?
I don't know what went wrong, but it sounds like you need to wipe and start over.

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
I don't know what went wrong, but it sounds like you need to wipe and start over.
No, luckily not haha! I got it to work myself. I was so stupid that I did the cumbersome way over the "payload_dumper" instead of booting TWRP (temporarily) and then flashing the Magsik.zip ...

I had to enter the command "fastboot flash boot_a or boot_b twrp.img" and then install PE.zip via "adb sideload xxx.zip" over the current slot before OTA. Then I was able to boot, after it I booted TWRP again and decrypted the data partition ... then I was able to flash Magsik ... boom and I got Magisk back in my system :)

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
No, luckily not haha! I got it to work myself. I was so stupid that I did the cumbersome way over the "payload_dumper" instead of booting TWRP (temporarily) and then flashing the Magsik.zip ...

I had to enter the command "fastboot flash boot_a or boot_b twrp.img" and then install PE.zip via "adb sideload xxx.zip" over the current slot before OTA. Then I was able to boot, after it I booted TWRP again and decrypted the data partition ... then I was able to flash Magsik ... boom and I got Magisk back in my system :)
I'm glad you worked it out. I have the twrp zip installed. When I want to update (the same rom), I simply boot into twrp, flash the rom and twrp zip, reboot system, reboot to recovery, flash magisk and reboot.

Reactions: Lif3mau5

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
I'm glad you worked it out. I have the twrp zip installed. When I want to update (the same rom), I simply boot into twrp, flash the rom and twrp zip, reboot system, reboot to recovery, flash magisk and reboot.
Back then I often had problems with TWRP and PE, especially when a new OS version via OTA was released (I got a strange flash unsuccesful message or so), so I don't do it that way anymore ... times have changed ...
Nevertheless, thank you!
- Sometimes the more complicated way is the safe way.

Today's update includes fixes for media playback bugs experienced by many of you.
Changelog:

• Fix Google Assistant voice match
• Fix music playback bug when turning on screen
• Fixed music playback lag

Thanks for your patience and make sure to let me know if you encounter any more bugs. :)

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
I have a question that's not really related to this rom, but is it possible to format both boot partitions in case both of them somehow were corrupted causing a boot loop? I had a minor issue during a rom installation because I stopped a sideload in TWRP prematurely, causing one boot partition to be corrupted after a reboot (which is fixed now), although the other was fine. I'm sure it's possible, but wanted to know in case something like that were to happen again.

Today's update includes fixes for media playback bugs experienced by many of you.
Changelog:

Thanks for your patience and make sure to let me know if you encounter any more bugs. :)
I would like to apologize for not analysing the situation better...
Today's update reverts yesterday's changes due to the cause of several bugs.
With yesterday's update, the alteration of soundtrigger caused the NowPlaying function to not work as intended.
However, with that alteration, it allowed for the playback bug when turning on the screen to not be present.
In other words, I have forced NowPlaying not to work to satisfy the condition for music playback not to lag.
As of the current moment, I am still studying what solution there is to this issue, but in the meantime, if you are annoyed by the playback bug when turning off your screen, kindly disable NowPlaying.
Sorry for the inconvenience, however many new changes have been added to the latest build:

• Reverted SoundTrigger removal, causing lag when unlocking and playing music playback to fix Now Playing and Ok Google Hotword detection
• Audio improvements
• Fixed SEPolicy denials
• Enabled Wifi-Fi STA/AP concurrency
• Enabled LED overlays
• Boost GPU performance
• Battery improvements
• Performance improvements

Thanks for your patience and support. :)

stunna27

Mar 25, 2011
@PixelBoot is the bug with restoring text messages? When I clean flash this ROM my text messages don't restore. But with clean install there is no Google messaging app so maybe that's the problem?

kröte

Jun 10, 2021
The instructions and the custom ROM is working just fine.

Actually I made a personal error. And after reinstalling. When turning on The Google pixel 2 xl I get the following notice:

"The boot loader is unlocked an integrity cannot be guaranteed any data stored on the device be available to attackers do not store any sensitive data on the device"

what should I do?
Well I read it's normal to have an unlocked bootloader

Last edited:

palimatix

Jan 18, 2011
Bangalore

Actually I made a personal error. And after reinstalling. When turning on The Google pixel 2 xl I get the following notice:

"The boot loader is unlocked an integrity cannot be guaranteed any data stored on the device be available to attackers do not store any sensitive data on the device"

what should I do?

That is a complete normal behavior. Just ignore that message. If it irks you a lot, you can do a double press the power button to skip it to boot right away.

Congrats and welcome to the freedom of unlocked bootloader ;) Cheers

Reactions: kröte and 73sydney

TekniqAU

Nov 12, 2015
Hi, curious if I've done something wrong, I just installed "PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20210919-1958-OFFICIAL" and the only GAPPS I have are Camera, Chrome, Contacts, Files, Google, Phone, Photos, Play Store, Safety and Settings.

I'm missing standard apps such as Messages, Clock, Calculator, Calendar, and other Google apps I'd assume would be part of a Pixel Experience such as Gmail, Youtube, Play Music, Maps, Drive etc.

Also, OEM unlock under developer options is now greyed out, I assume this has something to do with having an unlocked bootloader?

Last edited:
Reactions: MastNi

kröte

Jun 10, 2021
Hi, curious if I've done something wrong, I just installed "PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20210919-1958-OFFICIAL" and the only GAPPS I have are Camera, Chrome, Contacts, Files, Google, Phone, Photos, Play Store, Safety and Settings.

I'm missing standard apps such as Messages, Clock, Calculator, Calendar, and other Google apps I'd assume would be part of a Pixel Experience such as Gmail, Youtube, Play Music, Maps, Drive etc.

Also, OEM unlock under developer options is now greyed out, I assume this has something to do with having an unlocked bootloader?
You can simply install the Google apps you're missing from Google play. Custom ROMS can be built with different packages of GAPPS. Some packages of gaps include many Default Google applications while other GApps packages justInclude the bare minimum Google applications.

You can disable developer optionS. And DEselecct allow OEM unlock and deselect allow USB debugging.

The boot loader will always be unlocked with custom ROMS. if you lock the boot loader the operating system will not load and your phone may Get stuck or enter a loop DURING startup.

Yes if ALLOW OEM unlockOption is grayed out it probably means it is already unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: TekniqAU and MastNi

TekniqAU

Nov 12, 2015
The boot loader will always be unlocked with custom ROMS. You can simply install the Google apps you're missing from Google play. Custom ROMS can be built with different packages of GAPPS. Some packages of gaps include many Default Google applications while other GApps packages justInclude the bare minimum Google applications.

You can disable developer optionS. And DEselecct allow OEM unlock and deselect allow USB debugging.But the boot loader remains unlocked. If you lock the boot loader the operating system will not load and your phone may Get stuck or enter a loop DURING startup.
Thanks, I do like the minimal gapps loadout with this rom, but was surprised with some of the omissions. I don't intend to re-lock the bootloader, just concerned that OEM unlock is greyed out now, when it wasn't before I unlocked the bootloader and flashed a custom rom.

Edit: As an experiment I went back to stock, OEM unlock was also greyed out but with the message "bootloader is already unlocked", whereas on on pixel experience it says "connect to the internet or contact your carrier". I'm guessing this might be a bug, or a by-product of passing safety-net checks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kröte and MastNi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

what should I do?

That is a complete normal behavior. Just ignore that message. If it irks you a lot, you can do a double press the power button to skip it to boot right away.

Congrats and welcome to the freedom of unlocked bootloader ;) Cheers
    Do not lock your bootloader when on a custom rom or you will likely brick your device. You must be completely and fully on stock in order to lock your bootloader without bricking your phone. The message you receive is normal when your bootloader is unlocked. Don't worry about it and just leave your bootloader unlocked (which by the way is needed to install custom roms, etc.).
    Thank you for your explanation, it has been a great help. As it says, I will leave the bootloader unlocked

You can simply install the Google apps you're missing from Google play. Custom ROMS can be built with different packages of GAPPS. Some packages of gaps include many Default Google applications while other GApps packages justInclude the bare minimum Google applications.

You can disable developer optionS. And DEselecct allow OEM unlock and deselect allow USB debugging.

The boot loader will always be unlocked with custom ROMS. if you lock the boot loader the operating system will not load and your phone may Get stuck or enter a loop DURING startup.

Yes if ALLOW OEM unlockOption is grayed out it probably means it is already unlocked.
    The boot loader will always be unlocked with custom ROMS. You can simply install the Google apps you're missing from Google play. Custom ROMS can be built with different packages of GAPPS. Some packages of gaps include many Default Google applications while other GApps packages justInclude the bare minimum Google applications.

You can disable developer optionS. And DEselecct allow OEM unlock and deselect allow USB debugging.But the boot loader remains unlocked. If you lock the boot loader the operating system will not load and your phone may Get stuck or enter a loop DURING startup.
    Thanks, I do like the minimal gapps loadout with this rom, but was surprised with some of the omissions. I don't intend to re-lock the bootloader, just concerned that OEM unlock is greyed out now, when it wasn't before I unlocked the bootloader and flashed a custom rom.

Edit: As an experiment I went back to stock, OEM unlock was also greyed out but with the message "bootloader is already unlocked", whereas on on pixel experience it says "connect to the internet or contact your carrier". I'm guessing this might be a bug, or a by-product of passing safety-net checks :)
    are you able to use GPay App and add a banking card? I'm unable to. it says my device is NOT certified.
    Earlier in the thread (plus mentioned a millionty times in the magisk and google pay threads)

NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Google Pixel 2XL [taimen]

What is this?

PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11.0

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    FM radio
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download from PixelExperience website

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Our blog
    PixelExperience - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    PixelExperience (Plus Edition) - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    Updated
    : 01/04/'21

Links:
    Changelog:
    • Fixed Screen Attention
    Changelog:

Changelog:

I would like to apologize for not analysing the situation better...
    Today's update reverts yesterday's changes due to the cause of several bugs.
    With yesterday's update, the alteration of soundtrigger caused the NowPlaying function to not work as intended.
    However, with that alteration, it allowed for the playback bug when turning on the screen to not be present.
    In other words, I have forced NowPlaying not to work to satisfy the condition for music playback not to lag.
    As of the current moment, I am still studying what solution there is to this issue, but in the meantime, if you are annoyed by the playback bug when turning off your screen, kindly disable NowPlaying.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, however many new changes have been added to the latest build:

• Reverted SoundTrigger removal, causing lag when unlocking and playing music playback to fix Now Playing and Ok Google Hotword detection
    • Audio improvements
    • Fixed SEPolicy denials
    • Enabled Wifi-Fi STA/AP concurrency
    • Enabled LED overlays
    • Boost GPU performance
    • Battery improvements
    • Performance improvements

Thanks for your patience and support. :)
    PixelExperience - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    PixelExperience (Plus Edition) - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    Updated
    : 15/03/'21

Links:
    Eleven:
    Eleven (Plus Edition):
    Changelog:
    • Fixed charging light indicator