• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11.0][taimen] PixelExperience [AOSP][OFFICIAL]

Search This thread
Nov 16, 2021
@PixelBoot
On Saturday November 13, I could use Google Pay contactless payment, but after installing the November Security Update, it now says "phone might be rooted or using unsecure software". Does anyone know if this is new for the November Security Update, or if there is any fix for it? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye77

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
On Saturday November 13, I could use Google Pay contactless payment, but after installing the November Security Update, it now says "phone might be rooted or using unsecure software". Does anyone know if this is new for the November Security Update, or if there is any fix for it? Thanks.
I'm still on October and passing Safety Net. Which Rom are you using?

Aj_wali

Nov 18, 2021
NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Google Pixel 2XL [taimen]

What is this?

PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11.0

Whats working?
Wi-Fi
RIL
Mobile data
GPS
Camera
Flashlight
Camcorder
Bluetooth
FM radio
Lights
Sound/vibration

Known issues
Nothing yet
You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
Download from PixelExperience website

Donate
Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
Help with project translation

Stay tuned
Our Telegram channel
Our blog
Camera is not working
Lags for a while then closes off
This happened after the latest OTA update :
RQ3A.211001.001
PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20211113-0150-OFFICIAL

Please help

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Camera is not working
Lags for a while then closes off
This happened after the latest OTA update :
RQ3A.211001.001
PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20211113-0150-OFFICIAL

Please help
I'm on a pretty close to clean/new install of the latest (20211113) and have no problems with the camera on 2 different devices

Nov 16, 2021
@PixelBoot
Thank you so muck for the SafetyNet patch! <3
I installed it and according to "SafetyNet Helper Sample"-app it does in fact pass the test.

However, Google Pay still doesn't seem to believe it. I am investigating how I can make it work. I tried clearing app cache and reinstalling the app but it didn't work. I am in no way familiar with Android processes. Any ideas?

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Samsung Galaxy S20
@PixelBoot
Thank you so muck for the SafetyNet patch! <3
I installed it and according to "SafetyNet Helper Sample"-app it does in fact pass the test.

However, Google Pay still doesn't seem to believe it. I am investigating how I can make it work. I tried clearing app cache and reinstalling the app but it didn't work. I am in no way familiar with Android processes. Any ideas?

Rule #2 of Google Pay (Rule #1 is make sure you pass SafetyNet first):
  1. Toggle Airplane mode on
  2. Clear data for Google Play Store, Google Pay (optional but recommended, but will remove any loyalty cards you have) and Google Play Service (Settings > All Apps (toggle Show System) the search for and clear data for these packages)
  3. Reboot
  4. Toggle Airplane mode off
  5. Wait 5 minutes
  6. Check Google Play Store is certified (Google Play -> Settings, scroll to bottom) - as long as it doesnt say Not Certified, you should be golden
  7. Add card and test

Reactions: OldschoolWarfare
Nov 16, 2021
Rule #2 of Google Pay (Rule #1 is make sure you pass SafetyNet first):
  1. Toggle Airplane mode on
  2. Clear data for Google Play Store, Google Pay (optional but recommended, but will remove any loyalty cards you have) and Google Play Service (Settings > All Apps (toggle Show System) the search for and clear data for these packages)
  3. Reboot
  4. Toggle Airplane mode off
  5. Wait 5 minutes
  6. Check Google Play Store is certified (Google Play -> Settings, scroll to bottom) - as long as it doesnt say Not Certified, you should be golden
  7. Add card and test
Thank you! Very detailed and easy to follow instructions! I will try this right away.
Could you just please confirm that by "clear data" you mean both app storage and cache?

Also, clearing storage in the Play Services seems to delete most of my account information including device cloud backup. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and reconfigure these things?

Nov 16, 2021
@73sydney
I followed the instructions and cleared both storage and cache, and after rebooting I waited a little over 5 minutes before checking Play Store. Before clearing data it said "Device is certified", but after rebooting and waiting 5 minutes it said nothing at all in that Play Store menu. The row for certification status was missing.

So I took my chances and opened Google Pay, where if you enter the left side menu and select "Configure contactless", then you can see straight away if the device is compliant or not. Mine said it was! So I tried adding two cards and it worked! Last step, I went back to Play Store to check the verification status, and the row had reappeared and displayed a reaffirming "Device is certified". Most likely I had to wait a little longer than 10 minutes for the startup processes to finish.

Thank you so much for your help! Now I just have to reconfigure safety backups and whatever else might have been deleted. :)

Reactions: 73sydney

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Samsung Galaxy S20
@73sydney
I followed the instructions and cleared both storage and cache, and after rebooting I waited a little over 5 minutes before checking Play Store. Before clearing data it said "Device is certified", but after rebooting and waiting 5 minutes it said nothing at all in that Play Store menu. The row for certification status was missing.

So I took my chances and opened Google Pay, where if you enter the left side menu and select "Configure contactless", then you can see straight away if the device is compliant or not. Mine said it was! So I tried adding two cards and it worked! Last step, I went back to Play Store to check the verification status, and the row had reappeared and displayed a reaffirming "Device is certified". Most likely I had to wait a little longer than 10 minutes for the startup processes to finish.

Thank you so much for your help! Now I just have to reconfigure safety backups and whatever else might have been deleted. :)

Clearing Google Play Store/ Services wont remove your account from the device

If it said Certified before you cleared the data, then the issue may have just been in Google Pay itself

Yes it does take more than 5 minutes for the Certified status to turn up after a wipe, but like i said as long as it doesnt say Not Certified, youre fine, it usually just shows the version while its in limbo, this is as good as a Certified...well ive certainly never seen it return to Not Certified after a data clear :)

As for backups, non-cloud (ive never used Google Backup in all my years on Android as unlike most people think, it DOESNT backup all apps or apps data, that functionality has to be enabled per app, by the developer), you may wish to look at Migrate (free), for local backup:

And how i use it (the simple way, as i have in the past used it 2, 3 times a week in ROM testing. It will let you backup your apps, app data and permission per app, and is handy if youre migrating Android versions or just swapping between ROM's):

I regularly then just copy the /Migrate folder off the device to my PC and safe as houses

Nov 16, 2021
If it said Certified before you cleared the data, then the issue may have just been in Google Pay itself
Maybe, but I tried to clear the data in Google Pay and Play Store without success. Although I did not enter airplane mode.

As for backups, you may wish to look at Migrate (free):
Thanks for the tip! I was planning to update to Android 12 eventually, but I definitely dont wanna set upp all my apps again, its exhausting. I'm sure there is a FAQ somewhere, but do I have to root the phone, and would that add complications in any other regard when it comes to compliance with security features or other apps? I believe I have seen some apps not accepting rooted phones, but I could be mistaken, while other apps need root access.

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Samsung Galaxy S20
Maybe, but I tried to clear the data in Google Pay and Play Store without success. Although I did not enter airplane mode.

Thanks for the tip! I was planning to update to Android 12 eventually, but I definitely dont wanna set upp all my apps again, its exhausting. I'm sure there is a FAQ somewhere, but do I have to root the phone, and would that add complications in any other regard when it comes to compliance with security features or other apps? I believe I have seen some apps not accepting rooted phones, but I could be mistaken, while other apps need root access.

Yup, not being in airplane mode might have been a contributor

Migrate is how i got from Android 9 to Android 10, and from Android 10 to 11, and from Android 11 to 12...i trust you can see a pattern here....all without needing to reinstall and setup 99% of my apps again...thats why its in my signature and i recommend it.

To use Migrate you do have to use root. But since you have root (Magisk) installed anyways....

Magisk does have features and/or modules that can stop *most* apps from detecting it. All my root sensitive apps, including my banking app for my Bank, plus Samsung Pay (when i used it with my previous Samsung Active 2 Watch - thankfully Watch 4 can use Google Pay, removing 1 less app to hide root from) had no issues when running on my rooted 2XL. Banking apps are usually the apps that create the most grief, though most are able to work....

Reactions: OldschoolWarfare
Nov 16, 2021
Ahh, awesome!

Sorry for asking so many unadvanced questions. I haven't used a custom ROM since back on a Nexus 5 which then got retired by a broken power button lol.

To use Migrate you do have to use root. But since you have root (Magisk) installed anyways....
I interpret this as Magisk is pre-installed in PixelExperience? But I honestly don't know how to access it...

Does Migrate allow you to save the app grid layout and background/theme together with the system settings like Google Backup does? Is such a system backup compatible with a new device, or at least the app data? So if I were to update to Pixel 6, would it be possible to flash a backup to it or will it be corrupt in any way due to a new hardware?

I did read the authors initial post but didn't see these points being addressed there, nor in the Play Store description.

Thanks

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Samsung Galaxy S20
Ahh, awesome!

Sorry for asking so many unadvanced questions. I haven't used a custom ROM since back on a Nexus 5 which then got retired by a broken power button lol.

I interpret this as Magisk is pre-installed in PixelExperience? But I honestly don't know how to access it...

Does Migrate allow you to save the app grid layout and background/theme together with the system settings like Google Backup does? Is such a system backup compatible with a new device, or at least the app data? So if I were to update to Pixel 6, would it be possible to flash a backup to it or will it be corrupt in any way due to a new hardware?

I did read the authors initial post but didn't see these points being addressed there, nor in the Play Store description.

Thanks

No ROM has magisk built in, needs to be flashed separately after ROM flash. Form your previous comments about SafetyNet Patch, i assumed you had flashed magisk before......

As i said, ive never used Google backup in my entire Android life, so i cant comment on that. It would be entirely safe to keep Google backup enabled AND restore a Migrate restore after running Google Restore, to restore those apps (and there would be plenty) that Google Backup doesnt save app data for...

I can tell you Migrate may backup the home screen app grid or theme or whatever, depending on the launcher. Launchers sometimes have their own backup facility. I use Nova and its settings are backed up in Migrate - all 3 columns ticked App - App Data - Permissions. As mentioned, most apps can have all 3 columns ticked, just some secure apps like banking ones you usually save time not ticking the centre (app Data) column and just sign in after restore...as opposed to ticking the column, and then having to clear app data after restore before you can sign in again...

A Migrate backup should make restoring to Pixel 6 just fine...it will complain it hasnt been tested on anything beyond Android 11, but ive already doen it half a dozen times successfully on Android 12...

( i still use the Nova settings app to save a backup of its settings separately, because always have 2 backups of stuff, its ingrained in me after 35 years of IT).

ViperX85

Feb 21, 2013
Why is this ROM so bad performance vise? Especially when opening camera app, it's awfully stuttering.

iisreflect

Oct 11, 2015
Hello,

Pixel 2 XL running Android 12 beta build on november security patch.

Unsure if its been mentioned but the only issue i've encountered so far is that I dont't think the Google photos unlimited storage is functioning as the device is recognized as a Pixel 5? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that everything seems to be functioning as intended.

Edit: Found another issue, media playback seems to stutter or stop when the display turns off

Last edited:

neilth

Mar 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hello,

Pixel 2 XL running Android 12 beta build on november security patch.

Unsure if its been mentioned but the only issue i've encountered so far is that I dont't think the Google photos unlimited storage is functioning as the device is recognized as a Pixel 5? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that everything seems to be functioning as intended.

Edit: Found another issue, media playback seems to stutter or stop when the display turns off
Where did you get Android 12 beta for the Pixel 2 XL?

psal0002

Jan 4, 2013
CARAVACA DE LA CRUZ
Hello, I have had the PixelExperience rom for a long time and installing the updates normally, but since the last one I cannot use the user certificates with my cell phone to identify myself on the web pages that request it. It gives me a warning that the system does not support user certificates. This previously did not happen and I could use the user certificates without problems. Any solution?

build number
RQ3A.211001.001
PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20211216-1930-OFFICIAL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I started to get random/sudden shutdowns since I dropped my phone on Saturday. I have PE Plus Edition (Android 11) + root (Magisk) installed.

I don't even know where to start with this problem, so, any help will be much appreciated.
    Start by installing another rom to rule out an issue with this ROM, that way you won't have to post irrelevant problems you're facing here due to dropping your phone.

Goodluck mate
    Start by installing another rom to rule out an issue with this ROM, that way you won't have to post irrelevant problems you're facing here due to dropping your phone.

Goodluck mate
    I suggest that you flash Stock A11, December 2020 version. It is available on the Android developers website. If that runs fine, try flashing ABC A11 Rom to see if there are any problems with a stock like custom rom.
    Looks like flashing stock and then PE (Android 11) has resolved the problem, no random shutdowns yet. 🙂

Thanks fellas!
    NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Google Pixel 2XL [taimen]

What is this?

PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11.0

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    FM radio
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download from PixelExperience website

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Our blog
    PixelExperience - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    PixelExperience (Plus Edition) - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    Updated
    : 01/04/'21

Links:
    Changelog:
    • Fixed Screen Attention
    Today's update includes fixes for media playback bugs experienced by many of you.
    Changelog:

• Fix Google Assistant voice match
    • Fix music playback bug when turning on screen
    • Fixed music playback lag

Thanks for your patience and make sure to let me know if you encounter any more bugs. :)
    Today's update includes fixes for media playback bugs experienced by many of you.
    Changelog:

• Fix Google Assistant voice match
    • Fix music playback bug when turning on screen
    • Fixed music playback lag

Thanks for your patience and make sure to let me know if you encounter any more bugs. :)
    I would like to apologize for not analysing the situation better...
    Today's update reverts yesterday's changes due to the cause of several bugs.
    With yesterday's update, the alteration of soundtrigger caused the NowPlaying function to not work as intended.
    However, with that alteration, it allowed for the playback bug when turning on the screen to not be present.
    In other words, I have forced NowPlaying not to work to satisfy the condition for music playback not to lag.
    As of the current moment, I am still studying what solution there is to this issue, but in the meantime, if you are annoyed by the playback bug when turning off your screen, kindly disable NowPlaying.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, however many new changes have been added to the latest build:

• Reverted SoundTrigger removal, causing lag when unlocking and playing music playback to fix Now Playing and Ok Google Hotword detection
    • Audio improvements
    • Fixed SEPolicy denials
    • Enabled Wifi-Fi STA/AP concurrency
    • Enabled LED overlays
    • Boost GPU performance
    • Battery improvements
    • Performance improvements

Thanks for your patience and support. :)
    PixelExperience - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    PixelExperience (Plus Edition) - OFFICIAL | Android 11
    Updated
    : 15/03/'21

Links:
    Eleven:
    Eleven (Plus Edition):
    Changelog:
    • Fixed charging light indicator