[ROM][11.0][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL [Alpha] [2022-11-14]

Should the OTA update feature be enabled in the next build?

• Yes, I'll overlook the montly updates otherwise.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I don't have enough mobile data for a montly update cycle.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

FourSilver

Jan 11, 2021
Beside the usual suspects logcat, dmesg and kmesg I don't know what else you could use. Also I don't know what to look for in them for this particular issue.

My best guess is that this has something to do with your service provider. It looks like they allow you a short window of unauthorized access to complete the registration process and if it doesn't finish you get locked out.
What provider do you use? Does your contract include VoLTE?

Like I said many times before I don't have VoLTE where I live so I cannot really provide support for this. The only solution I have was taken from PeterCxy when I copied his repo and I didn't dare to change it since then as I cannot test it all.
Understood. The provider is T-Mobile, and I don't have a contract.

Since this is my daily driver, I rolled back to 2021-05 as I ran out of time to troubleshoot.

_r_r_

Sep 8, 2022
Unfortunately I have the same issues with the A11 build - i 'upgrade' to the stock 11, then run everything, get to the TWRP screen about 'unmodified system partition' and i have no touchscreen input so can't proceed. kinda sucks if the newer models(?) of this phone cant be freed :(
I had the same issue, luckily a USB adapter + external mouse did the job. The screen then works normally again in LineageOS.

I did need to flash the super.img as per instructions though. Thanks @a-dead-trousers for all the work!

ljonkat

Sep 23, 2022
I just want to give a short report because I am surprised, thankful, and happy everything worked out for me. Thank you very much @a-dead-trousers for the great work, and thanks to everybody else for sharing their experiences.

I bought a new Atom L a week ago (in the US). I used to be on AT&T prepaid, but I knew that was a no-go with the Atom. I switched to T-Mobile prepaid, put the new sim card in my old phone (a Nokia), and made sure everything was working.

The Atom came with Android 11, but first I struggled to figure out the build. I found something like 20210707, which just didn't seem to match anything described here. So, I made sure to check for updates on the stock ROM (there were none), and then went ahead with the latest LOS and TWRP files from @a-dead-trousers (Atom L non-European).

As described by @_r_r_, the adapter and mouse solved the issue of no-touch-input (thank you for that). TWRP is waiting for input from adb, so I just switched between adapter+mouse and computer USB connection.

Again as @_r_r_ described, I had to flash super.img since I encountered the error mentioned. After that, I installed LOS. Rebooting then left me with a weird reboot-to-TWRP-loop: LOS would boot up, but a few seconds after the main screen came up, it would power down and reboot into TWRP.

Not sure what was going on, I did
  • In TWRP select Wipe > Advanced Wipe.
  • Tick Dalvik / ART Cache, Cache, Data, Internal Storage
again, and sure enough LOS booted up as it should. Popped in the SIM card, and it has been running for a few days now, calls, text, MMS, and data working.

Thank you all, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Ljonkat

Reactions: a-dead-trousers

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
The Atom came with Android 11, but first I struggled to figure out the build. I found something like 20210707, which just didn't seem to match anything described here.
The stock rom files from unihertz' google drive are named 20211117 (Nov. 17th 2021) but the vedor security updates info found in "settings->about" points to 20210705 (July 5th 2021).
As I haven't really used stock A11 much I used the rom file naming in my docs and release notes.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
As described by @_r_r_, the adapter and mouse solved the issue of no-touch-input (thank you for that). TWRP is waiting for input from adb, so I just switched between adapter+mouse and computer USB connection.
As more and more people are mentioning that touch isn't working in TWRP (no clue why) I'm going to include this solution into my TWRP installation guide.

Maybe someone who is still on stock rom could provide me with their kernel symbols:
https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/tw...H.md#get-the-symbols-for-analyzing-the-kernel

I'd need the ones from Atom L (EEA and TEE) and Atom XL (TEE).

Last edited:

ljonkat

Sep 23, 2022
The stock rom files from unihertz' google drive are named 20211117 (Nov. 17th 2021) but the vedor security updates info found in "settings->about" points to 20210705 (July 5th 2021).
As I haven't really used stock A11 much I used the rom file naming in my docs and release notes.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for the explanation. It may have been 20210705... I was just trying to be extra careful to not use the wrong files.

Beste Gruesse,
Ljonkat

ljonkat

Sep 23, 2022
As LOS and stock rom are quite different settings wise a wipe of userdata is needed.

Yea, I just don't know why I had to do it twice: before the actual flash and then again after to get out of the power-down-reboot-to-TWRP loop. It may have been because I gave up after the initial LOS flash attempt before flashing super.img. Since I rebooted into the stock ROM after that, could TWRP have "forgotten" about that original wipe? Not sure, but I hope it'll give others some pointers when encountering a similar behavior.

Thanks again,
Ljonkat

nameless354

Apr 20, 2020

Attachments

• symbl.txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: a-dead-trousers

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Atom L EEA stock a11
Thanks!

Your symbol-file made me realize that there are in fact TWO functions of the name 'tpd_i2c_probe' which suggests that there are also two different touchpad drivers included in the kernel.
Therefore I did an update on the kernel modifications for BOTH drivers on all recovery variants.

Could those of you who had problems with the touchpad in the recovery please test if it is now fixed. My phone did work which is only a limited indicator for that matter.

ljonkat

Sep 23, 2022
Thanks!

Your symbol-file made me realize that there are in fact TWO functions of the name 'tpd_i2c_probe' which suggests that there are also two different touchpad drivers included in the kernel.
Therefore I did an update on the kernel modifications for BOTH drivers on all recovery variants.

Could those of you who had problems with the touchpad in the recovery please test if it is now fixed. My phone did work which is only a limited indicator for that matter.

You rock! Confirmed that the new TWRP release v20221005-alpha fixes the touchpad issue. Great work, thank you! And also thanks to @nameless354 for providing the info.

Ljonkat

Last edited:

ljonkat

Sep 23, 2022
Hey @nameless354, so far I am really happy with the rom, everything works (except I don't know how to assign a function to the red button on the left side). However, I was specifically looking for a smaller smartphone that can run a recent version of LOS, which means I did not spend much time with the stock rom. And since I am coming from a Nokia feature phone, I have not much to compare it to.

For background:
I wanted to keep Google and Apple at an arm's length and get as close as possible to a true GNU/Linux phone. Looked into Pinephone (great project, will certainly keep an eye on it; but it's not daily driver material yet), checked out Purism's Librem (very nice, but just too expensive for me), and almost pulled the trigger on a used Sony XA2 to install Jolla's Sailfish OS (but uncertain support of VoLTE under Sailfish for the XA2 means you can't use it with US carriers), and then finally landed on the Atom L with LOS + F-Droid.

Ljonkat

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello. I just got my Atom XL, and I've got to say, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm happy to have the DMR tier 2 support, but the power output is low (measuring analog on 446mhz). I'm getting 1.2w at high power. The audio from the walkie talkie is also muffled and distorted, even on my Bluetooth headset. Is this typical for the Atom XL? It's currently all stock.

wombatch

Jan 18, 2012
Hello, I have recently installed the latest version of this ROM and so far all seems very good I am however a little limited on testing since I am trying to get microg into the ROM, to do this I would like to get one of the patching options to work. So simple question, has anyone successfully got microg installed on this ROM, so far all the patching options I have tried have failed usually because of the mount structure (as far as I can tell) with the exception of patching with magisk which just resulted in a boot loop ending in recovery.

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Hello, I have recently installed the latest version of this ROM and so far all seems very good I am however a little limited on testing since I am trying to get microg into the ROM, to do this I would like to get one of the patching options to work. So simple question, has anyone successfully got microg installed on this ROM, so far all the patching options I have tried have failed usually because of the mount structure (as far as I can tell) with the exception of patching with magisk which just resulted in a boot loop ending in recovery.
What patching options are we talking about here?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    500px-Lineage_OS_logo.svg.png

Code:
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a LineageOS 18.1 ROM for the Helios P60 based Atom L (Atom_L) and Atom XL (Atom_XL), two rugged Android phones released by Unihertz in July 2020.

This ROM supports both devices as well as both regional variants!
    You need to make sure which device and variant you need!

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Not Working
    • VoLTE is working but has some issus with SELinux in enforcing mode
    • LiveDisplay is not working (and probably never will)
    • DMR (Atom XL) is not working
    • Bluetooth audio channel is working (although it's set to use the fallback instead of A2DP)
    • You tell me

Releases
    Atom L EEA (european union)
    Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Atom XL TEE (non-european union)

How to install
    How to update
    How to upgrade

Links
    TWRP
    Common device tree
    Device tree Atom L (model)
    Device tree Atom XL (model)
    Device tree Atom L EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom XL EEA (european union)
    Device tree Atom L TEE (non-european union)
    Device tree Atom XL TEE (non-european union)
    Bug reporting

2022-11-14
    * November security updates included
    2022-10-09
    * October security updates included
    * Workaround for bluetooth audio not working with A2DP
    2022-09-22
    * September security updates included
    2022-08-22
    * August security updates included
    * Switched from NavButtonRemap to HardwareKeyMapper for PTT integration
    2022-07-15
    * Switched to LOS 18.1
    * July 2021 vendor updates included (needs vendor to be upgraded manually)
    * July security updates included
    2022-04-21
    * April security updates included
    * Extended apn list included
    2022-03-27
    * March security updates included
    2022-02-16
    * February security updates included
    * Updated apns-conf.xml with stock entries
    2022-01-31 (Only for Atom L TEE)
    * Fixing a mixup of the prebuilt kernel
    2022-01-22
    * January security updates included
    2021-12-16
    * December security updates included
    2021-11-14
    * November security updates included
    2021-10-10
    * October security updates included
    2021-09-16
    * New icon for NavButtonRemap
    * LineageOS OTA updates enabled
    * September security updates included
    2021-08-10
    * August security updates included
    2021-07-14
    * July security updates included
    2021-06-16
    * May vendor updates included (needs vendor to be upgraded manually)
    * June security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now
    * Nav Button Remap included
    2021-05-10
    * May security updates included
    2021-04-15 2021-04-21
    * April security updates included
    * FMRadio is working now, without sound
    * Raised the size of the system and product partition to support bigger gapps installs
    * Combining the work for the Atom L and XL
    2021-03-09
    * March security patches included
    * Built for the first time using a combined Atom L/XL device tree
    2021-02-11
    * February security patches included
    * Notification LED is working now
    * Included FMRadio app (but not working)
    2021-01-24
    * Intercom DMR is working now
    * Audio Jack fixed
    * Wifi Hotspot and USB Tethering are enabled
    2021-01-16
    * January security patches included
    * Switched to TWRP recovery
    2020-12-19
    * December security patches included
    * Updated for stock release 2020-11-04 (announced 2020-12-03), needs vendor to be updated separately
    * !!! untested (for now) !!!
    2020-11-10
    * Rom build variant is "user" and is signed with release keys
    * Recovery is still build variant "userdebug" and signed with test keys
    * November security patches included
    * Intercom doesn't crash anymore (but still doesn't work either)
    * Some apps and sepolicies included from stock rom
    2020-10-01
    * Initial Alpha build released

Help from other developers is certainly welcome. Currently only myself is working on this ROM.

Credit and Thanks

• LineageOS team
    • @PeterCxy for starting the work on the Atom L

Enjoy! (y)

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 18.1 for Unihertz Atom L and XL, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
    a-dead-trousers
    Source Code: https://github.com/ADeadTrousers/android_device_Unihertz_Atom_LXL

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2020-10-02
    Last Updated 2022-11-14
    I just uploaded a new release which includes a workaround for the bluetooth issue alongside the latest security updates.

This is just for being able to use bluetooth for the time being. I'm still trying to get it actually fixed.
    Good news my fellow Atom XL Users: DMR is working (kind of) even in the current release! :)

BUT

only with a freeset :confused:

During my struggles to get the mediatek code integrated into LOS I encountered many problems. One was that I muted the phone entirely. So with every step I took I did a full sound check including audio jack and headphones. That's how I found out that the sound of the DMR was working all along even without any modifications. It's just not able to "access" the built in microphone and speaker.
    This feels quite familiar as I had some issues with the audio jack in the beginning but the other way round. So maybe some settings I changed to get the audio jack to work were counteracting this.

Just to let you all know, that there is still some progress on my part.
    Hi everyone!

I am not sure whether I have ever posted on these forums at all, but this one got me seriously intrigued and for the first time I felt the sudden urge to jump in and assist if I can.

Just received my Atom XL yesterday afternoon (which seems to be just the best phone I have ever owned), and I have started to look for options to replace the stock ROM or at least root it so I can remove the bloat and Google crap before I actually start using the phone as a phone.

I am really happy to see we already have a working Lineage build for this - so huge thanks to everyone for the efforts so far!

My other phone is a Blackview BV9100 for which there was not much to be found in terms of customization, and since the manufacturer software updates are non-existent I had to figure out everything by myself - which means I have some experience, so if there is anything I can provide to help fixing the current issues, just let me know. I will give a shot at rooting the XL tonight but keep the OS otherwise untouched for a while if needed. I see flashing a Magisk patched boot.img caused a bootloop for someone, so I will see if I can get it to work somehow.

In the meantime I will have a look at the issue updates on Github as well to see what is the actual status.
    First impressions: install went smoothly, I'm so happy to have a Google apps free install. I'll try features, but so far, no show stopper, it feels good!