[ROM][11.0][Unofficial] LineageOS 18.1 with microG [hotdogb][Updated 05/09]

Search This thread

jivy26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 7, 2010
Google Pixel 7
screen_logo.jpg

This is my daily driver that I have decided to share. With the increase of big tech and government overreach in our lives, I felt more of a desire to move away from Google and the similar. Hotdogb isn't supported by other similar OS' so built this from microG/LineageOS source and is fully functional.

Based on Android 11
Last Updated: May 5th
Kernel Source:
GitHub
Donate if you enjoy!
Changelogs: 05.09.2021 - Updated to LineageOS nightly 05.09.2021. Full changelog can be found at https://download.lineageos.org/hotdogb/changes. 05.05.2021 - Initial Release.

What is this?

This is LineageOS with all closed-source binary Google blobs removed and replaced with microG. I.E no Play services or GAPPS. UnifiedNLP is used as networking location provider vice Google's NLP. F-Droid is installed by default providing alternative app store. However, with Aurora store you can still install Google Play store apps with ease (requires additional installations).

Installation

Since this is a fork of LineageOS you can follow the same installation guide they provide here. Just ensure you are on Lineage recovery and ready to sideload LineageOS, use our ROM for that step.

Issues

None known. Post below if you have any.

Post Installation

- open the microG app --> Self-Check sections are successful.

Location services
- By default, MozillaNlpbackend, which uses Mozilla location service and NominatimNlpBackend, which uses Mapquest's Noninatim service; are disabled by default. Open microG app --> Location modules and enable whichever ones you prefer. Afterwards reboot device.

Other information

Google Play Store Alternative
If you want full access to normal android Play Store apps do the following:
Open F-Droid app. Search for Aurora Store and install. Once opened select the appropriate option, generally option #1 will be the most common used with this ROM as long as it has not been modified by the user. Once setup you will have access to all applications as normal.

Some apps require play services and I cannot use them, please help!
This will require both SU and Magisk installed, which is not provided in our base rom. Once you have achieved SU with Magisk you will need to read over and install NanoDroid which can be found here XDA| Website.

SuperUser

***Ensure boot.img date matches the date of the ROM you are installing. DO NOT use this boot.img with a different ROM.***
***This guide assumes you already have a working ADB/Fastboot.***
  1. Download boot.img below to your phones storage.
  2. Download latest Magisk apk from here to your device and install it.
  3. Open Magisk on your phone. Click the Magisk Install option within the app.
  4. For method "Select and Patch a File"
  5. Select the boot.img you downloaded in Step 1.
  6. Once the process is complete a Magisk patched boot.img will be in the Downloads folder on your phone. Drag it to a working folder on your Computer.
  7. Ensure your has ADB debugging enabled in Developer Options settings and that your PC is authorized.
  8. Open Command Prompt on your PC and run ADB Devices. Verify your phone is listed.
  9. In Command Prompt run "ADB reboot bootloader". You will notice the phone reboot.
  10. Once on Fastboot screen in Command Prompt run "Fastboot devices", ensure your phone is listed.
  11. In Command Prompt run "Fastboot flash boot bootname.img. Replacing bootname with the name of your Magisk boot.img.
  12. Once done start the device and load Magisk to confirm.

Download

Donate if you enjoy!

ROM (5.9.21)
BOOT.IMG (5.9.21)

Last edited:

Vedarshi

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
Thanks for posting, I was looking to switch over to microG now with LOS 18.1 for hotdogb

Just wanna confirm, will these builds support OTA updater/dirty flashing for updates?

jivy26

Aug 7, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Thanks for posting, I was looking to switch over to microG now with LOS 18.1 for hotdogb

Just wanna confirm, will these builds support OTA updater/dirty flashing for updates?
You will be able to dirty flash future updates similiar to LOS. Just be aware if you have modded any system files i.e. NanoDroid system install vice using Magisk; then you will have to reapply after dirty flash.

I'm working on OTA updates in the next release, just haven't set the hosting up at the moment.

Reactions: cher81 and Vedarshi

Droid_Nut

I would recommend loading recovery Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset. Dirty flash might work, but I have not tested it. It also may come with unwanted consequences.

I was going to factory reset anyways, since I never really made the Official Lineage a daily driver. I was really waiting for MicroG before I went all out.

Thanks for the effort.

Droid_Nut

No worries, I added the boot.img in case anyone wants to patch with Magisk. I had to do so and also install NanoDroid as a Magisk module to use a few apps that were expecting play store services.

I ended up using a boot.img that I had already patched in LOS Official.
Do you have a link or a download for the NanoDroid. It does not show up in the Magisk Module search?

jivy26

Aug 7, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Once you go with MicroG you are out of the Google Eco System. And dont try to log in as they may wipe out your email and cancel you. I just imported my contacts, as suggested.
Use MicroG to be the go-between for Google eco. You can login through MicroG if you have an app that is in need of it and MicroG will be the in-between.

Reactions: NaterTots

jivy26

Aug 7, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I heard it is against the terms, so it is safe to log into microg and get the apps that you paid for?
Of course its against their terms and you can login, but there is always the risk your account is banned. Though I have never had an issue.

If you're weary you can always make a separate Google account and use to try it out.

Reactions: Droid_Nut

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screen_logo.jpg

This is my daily driver that I have decided to share. With the increase of big tech and government overreach in our lives, I felt more of a desire to move away from Google and the similar. Hotdogb isn't supported by other similar OS' so built this from microG/LineageOS source and is fully functional.

Based on Android 11
    Last Updated: May 5th
    Kernel Source:
    GitHub
    Donate if you enjoy!
    Changelogs: 05.09.2021 - Updated to LineageOS nightly 05.09.2021. Full changelog can be found at https://download.lineageos.org/hotdogb/changes. 05.05.2021 - Initial Release.

What is this?

This is LineageOS with all closed-source binary Google blobs removed and replaced with microG. I.E no Play services or GAPPS. UnifiedNLP is used as networking location provider vice Google's NLP. F-Droid is installed by default providing alternative app store. However, with Aurora store you can still install Google Play store apps with ease (requires additional installations).

Installation

Since this is a fork of LineageOS you can follow the same installation guide they provide here. Just ensure you are on Lineage recovery and ready to sideload LineageOS, use our ROM for that step.

Issues

None known. Post below if you have any.

Post Installation

- open the microG app --> Self-Check sections are successful.

Location services
    - By default, MozillaNlpbackend, which uses Mozilla location service and NominatimNlpBackend, which uses Mapquest's Noninatim service; are disabled by default. Open microG app --> Location modules and enable whichever ones you prefer. Afterwards reboot device.

Other information

Google Play Store Alternative
    If you want full access to normal android Play Store apps do the following:
    Open F-Droid app. Search for Aurora Store and install. Once opened select the appropriate option, generally option #1 will be the most common used with this ROM as long as it has not been modified by the user. Once setup you will have access to all applications as normal.

Some apps require play services and I cannot use them, please help!
    This will require both SU and Magisk installed, which is not provided in our base rom. Once you have achieved SU with Magisk you will need to read over and install NanoDroid which can be found here XDA| Website.

SuperUser

***Ensure boot.img date matches the date of the ROM you are installing. DO NOT use this boot.img with a different ROM.***
    ***This guide assumes you already have a working ADB/Fastboot.***
    1. Download boot.img below to your phones storage.
    2. Download latest Magisk apk from here to your device and install it.
    3. Open Magisk on your phone. Click the Magisk Install option within the app.
    4. For method "Select and Patch a File"
    5. Select the boot.img you downloaded in Step 1.
    6. Once the process is complete a Magisk patched boot.img will be in the Downloads folder on your phone. Drag it to a working folder on your Computer.
    7. Ensure your has ADB debugging enabled in Developer Options settings and that your PC is authorized.
    8. Open Command Prompt on your PC and run ADB Devices. Verify your phone is listed.
    9. In Command Prompt run "ADB reboot bootloader". You will notice the phone reboot.
    10. Once on Fastboot screen in Command Prompt run "Fastboot devices", ensure your phone is listed.
    11. In Command Prompt run "Fastboot flash boot bootname.img. Replacing bootname with the name of your Magisk boot.img.
    12. Once done start the device and load Magisk to confirm.

Download

Donate if you enjoy!

ROM (5.9.21)
    BOOT.IMG (5.9.21)
    Updated to LineageOS 5/9 nightly.

You will be able to dirty flash future updates similiar to LOS. Just be aware if you have modded any system files i.e. NanoDroid system install vice using Magisk; then you will have to reapply after dirty flash.

I'm working on OTA updates in the next release, just haven't set the hosting up at the moment.
    I didn't even know that there is an official LineageOS fork with MicroG. Seems like I will have to migrate to it instead. Especially when it feels like that this project is dead. The "developer" hasn't been online since June 20th.
    Thank you this step is completed
    Install Chinese twrp by typing "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img” (rename whole img file to twrp.img)