• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11.0][UNOFFICIAL] Nexus Stock for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Chameleon2000

Oct 17, 2021
Sorry to have to write this but I'm having a lot of issues with my tablet. I'm sure the author has put a lot of work into it to get it to this stage.

I'm using the current latest download.

If its anything my tablet was bought in Aus. I used odin to flash twrp from the included link and then installed the nexus stock using twrp.

Maybe my download was corrupted? Was I meant to use the tar.md5 file with TWRP instead of the "TWRP update" zip?

Not only does the SD Card constantly become "corrupted" (Its not, put it back into my windows pc and it works fine Samsung 256GB Evo, was working fine on the OEM rom.) but I cannot even use the tablet with adb because as soon as I run "adb root"
the tablet drops the connection with adb and becomes unresponsive with adb requiring the tablet to be rebooted before attempting another try connecting with adb. In addition to this I cannot connect with adb via the network, it refuses to connect. Also I cannot access the internal storage via usb file transfer with this rom as stated on the first page this rom has no MTP support.

With the SD Card, I cannot access any of the files when booted into the system, however TWRP can access the SD Card with no problems? This allows me to transfer files from microSD card to the internal storage by using TWRPs file manager. (But the storage/emulated/0 partition isn't mounted? when I go into /storage when in TWRP the folder is empty.)

C:\adb>adb root
restarting adbd as root
timeout expired while waiting for device

After that it becomes unresponsive unless I reboot.

Aside from these faults it seems to be "workingish", it seems stable. No issues with charging unlike some other people are having. Can set a pin.

At least the wireless works. But good luck trying to actually use the tablet without having to download everything from the internet, there is no way that I can transfer files locally to this tablet from my pc without running a locally hosted web server or ftp server.

Any ideas? I haven't signed in using a google account. should I? Is that the issue? I did do a format before installing the nexus rom. Followed the instructions exactly.

Last edited:

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Not only does the SD Card constantly become "corrupted" (Its not, put it back into my windows pc and it works fine Samsung 256GB Evo, was working fine on the OEM rom.) but I cannot even use the tablet with adb because as soon as I run "adb root" the tablet drops the connection with adb and becomes unresponsive with adb requiring the tablet to be rebooted before attempting another try connecting with adb. In addition to this I cannot connect with adb via the network, it refuses to connect. Also I cannot access the internal storage via usb file transfer with this rom as stated on the first page this rom has no MTP support.

With the SD Card, I cannot access any of the files when booted into the system, however TWRP can access the SD Card with no problems? This allows me to transfer files from microSD card to the internal storage by using TWRPs file manager. (But the storage/emulated/0 partition isn't mounted? when I go into /storage when in TWRP the folder is empty.)

So, the issue here is the OEM kernel, which implements a proprietary Samsung version of the USB gadgets (e.g. MTP and ADB). When source is made public, I can build a version of the kernel that implements the standard MTP and ADB for Android GSIs, which I then bundle in TWRP so that it's fixed in that environment.

The problem is that every custom kernel build that I've made with the public OEM source breaks wireless support. This isn't really an issue for the TWRP environment, but is a bit of a deal breaker for booting to system. If I have to choose between MTP and wireless, I choose wireless every time.

Now, if someone can help me figure out how to build the kernel in a way that doesn't break wireless, I'm all ears...but I've dedicated several weekends to troubleshooting at this point and have basically given up. There was a hope that the Android 11 kernel just posted (T290XXU3CUG4) would have fixed the problem, but I confirmed yesterday that wireless is still broken for those local kernel builds from the Android 11 public source.

By the way, I'll be retiring this Android 10 custom ROM now that we have an Android 11 OEM kernel (which doesn't support Android 10 GSIs) and official Stock builds of OpenGApps for Android 11. This issue will still be present going forward, though...at least until we can successfully build a kernel with functional wireless support.

TsPcs

Oct 16, 2016
Grate work i had some difficulty but i got it done and now my tablet is running grate without all that Samsung crap and Samsung UI ( one of the worst UIs ever made )

for anyone who says it wont work on the new ones ( Tab A T290 Walmart purchased 10/15/2021 ) it defiantly can

enable dev mode
enable OEM unlock
downgrade with Korean dev firmware
install old version of TWRP ( oden3b AP )
enjoy root for a bit...
update to new version of TWRP ( this will soft brick but its ok )
use TWRP to install Nexus_Stock_LQ_T290XXU3BUC1-20210516
ENJOY

there might be a faster way to get the end result but IDK...

thank you for your hard work and making this possible

Chameleon2000

Oct 17, 2021
The other issue with this is that seeing as you cannot access the decrypted system partition and there is no ADB you cannot transfer the patched magisk boot.img file from your tablet to your pc to be uploaded again via adb or Odin. Found that little problem out myself.

This sucks! I'll have to buy another tablet and phone because I've also been waiting for a custom rom to be made for my phone too and the phone is damaged now and is due for a replacement... I really hoped I could get a custom rom for my tablet and my phone but development is to me bricked because of Samsung's tampering.

And Development is so slow to non existent in general because of manufacturers proprietary code and locking down their equipment that the devices that people buy are obsolete or become broken by the time a rom is made that works because of the proprietary code. I think the last phone I bought was already 2 years old when I had a working LineageOS rom for it.

Really wish we could just install LineageOS on any piece of hardware we wanted. I'm sick of manufacturers locking out developers and forcing Google code down the throat of everybody.

The other issue is that most good LineageOS approved phones are really expensive and don't get me started about the price of a Librem phone.

Last edited:

Chameleon2000

Oct 17, 2021
You can still use a microSD card or MTP in TWRP to transfer files.
Yeah I'm having a problem where TWRP after its flashed to recovery won't mount the system partition as decrypted, I just get garbage folder names whenever I view the system partition in TWRP when I load TWRP from recovery so transferring files to and from microsd card is impossible. I've installed the Multidisabler zip file (multiple times) thats recommended on the TRWP page that you linked to but it still won't work. I'm having issues with that.

The multidisabler zip works on the initial twrp flash but once you install twrp to recovery permanently the multidisabler no longer works. Its not permanent? Do I have to keep reinstalling multisabler every time that I need to access the system partition?

For now I'm just going to reinstall the stock firmware and modify it and uninstall the samsung apps and google apps that I'm not using and install microg and other stuff that I need back onto the tablet via ADB. Until I can get the multidisabler to work it'll have the stock OEM ROM.

Again thanks for all of your development on this rom but I think its best that I just go buy another tablet one thats better supported.

Last edited:

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Yeah I'm having a problem where TWRP after its flashed to recovery won't mount the system partition as decrypted, I just get garbage folder names whenever I view the system partition in TWRP when I load TWRP from recovery so transferring files to and from microsd card is impossible.
Yes, I've not cracked Samsung's file-based encryption (FBE) used in the userdata partition yet, but that's not applied to removable storage and so you can access microSD cards and USB flash drives from TWRP just fine. Note that you can install the version of Multidisabler that removes encryption, but then the screen lock feature stops working on this model.

Chameleon2000

Oct 17, 2021
ok I'll give it another shot. Reason why is because I just tried removing certain com.samsung apps and failed spectacularly, causing a bootloop. I'll reinstall your rom and run a ftp server on the tablet and pull any files that I want off that way. I cannot transfer files to and from the system/userdata partition even in TWRP because of the encryption which is what I was having problems with. I wanted to transfer the patched magisk boot image off of the system partition onto the microsd card so it could be accessible in twrp for flashing. Thats what I was trying to do before. But patching the boot with magisk won't work will it? Just tried it and it caused a bootloop. Gotta patch it with recovery? or is rooting this rom not possible?

There are a LOT of samsung bloat apps hidden in the background on these tablets! I didn't realize just how many there were.

Thanks again for your free tech support. I really need to reread this thread.

Last edited:

Chameleon2000

Oct 17, 2021
I found a "bug"... In my router I've set so that all of b|g br0th3r$ stuff is blocked by default so no android or snapple devices will be able to detect if they are connected to the internet and spy on you even if the device is running OEM ROMs. The only issue with this is that with this rom it won't auto reconnect to wifi if you reboot the tablet. In addition to this when you select "Do not prompt again" in the dialogue box where it asks you if you would like to stay connected to the wireless network, It doesn't remember this setting. It forgets this setting.

This is probably just stock rom behavior and has nothing to do with your development. But I thought I would just mention it anyway.

Mr. Bob12

Nov 13, 2021
Hi,

Many thanks! Great job! Almost everything works pretty fine.
Question: is it possible to have this rom without gapps? Or can you explain how to remove/uninstall these gapps?

Thx in advance.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
New Android 11 release is finally posted. Note that we're now constrained by the system partition size, so I had to trim some of the stock OpenGApps (e.g. Maps, Duo, Messenger, Android Auto) to fit in the available space. Also, you'll need to do a clean flash on top of the OEM T290XXU3CUG4 release because we're moving to an Android 11 kernel. Dirty flashes are not possible (which is why I've disabled the link to the TWRP update). Finally, because we've reached end of life on the Android 10 releases, I've now highjacked this XDA thread for Android 11.

Downloads:
Change Log:
20211121:
  • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUG4 kernel (July 2021 Update).
  • Switched underlying GSI from LineageOS 17.1 to CAOS 11.
  • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-1 (20211017).
  • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20211120) w/ rollback for WebView
  • IMPORANT NOTE: Dirty flash is not possible because we're transitioning to Android 11 kernel. Use Oden and do a factory reset from TWRP.

gigahurts

Feb 4, 2013
You Rock Magendanz!!! Thank you so much for your hard work and continuing development. Phenomenal move to A11 BTW. Any chance you might TWRPify this rom?

Really appreciate the fine work you do and have been watching for a while. I have several of these and several of many, many others (tabs, phones, etc) and normally stick to my own development, but I just wanted to chime in and thank you for keeping the sm-t290 custom rom dream alive.

Thanks again...Flashing now:)

Last edited:

gigahurts

Feb 4, 2013
Flashed it semi dirty, without the base, sorry no time. This ROM works absolutely flawlessly! No issues whatsoever, everything works perfectly.

Also a side note, Magisk (ty John Wu) 23.0 installs and functions perfectly. I did have some spontaneous reboots after spoofing pixel 5 and enabling safetynet in phh misc settings and also using Magisk hide... Rebooted about 30 seconds after lock screen, but I undid those sliders and I have root on A11 and am very pleased with the performance and have zero issues (other than failing safetynet, even after flashing the safetynet fingerprint modifier module in the Magisk manager. Oh well...

Thank you sir for your hard work and dedication. I will let you know how it goes with the sm-t510 shortly. I also have the A7 10.1, s5e, s6, s7 and s7+ among many others.

Cheers, how's the weather in WA? Was born in Seattle, I know how it is.

Reactions: Magendanz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flashed it semi dirty, without the base, sorry no time. This ROM works absolutely flawlessly! No issues whatsoever, everything works perfectly.

Also a side note, Magisk (ty John Wu) 23.0 installs and functions perfectly. I did have some spontaneous reboots after spoofing pixel 5 and enabling safetynet in phh misc settings and also using Magisk hide... Rebooted about 30 seconds after lock screen, but I undid those sliders and I have root on A11 and am very pleased with the performance and have zero issues (other than failing safetynet, even after flashing the safetynet fingerprint modifier module in the Magisk manager. Oh well...

Thank you sir for your hard work and dedication. I will let you know how it goes with the sm-t510 shortly. I also have the A7 10.1, s5e, s6, s7 and s7+ among many others.

Honestly, I'm surprised that it worked without first flashing the T290XXU3CUG4 OEM base first, since that was the transition to the Android 11.0 kernel. In the past, that's been an issue.

I've got three Galaxy Tab A7's (SM-T500s) now, and so that's the next big project. I've been putting it off because this is the first release that's been using dynamic partitioning, which is going to be a major hassle. Fortunately, it's going to be raining in Seattle for the entire 4-day holiday weekend, so I'll have lots of time indoors to focus on my hobbies.

Last week I also got an insane deal on a Galaxy Tab S7 FE (SM-T733), so that's been added to my list for TWRP and Nexus Stock supported devices.
    qPD09.png

Here's my first effort at porting the Nexus Stock custom ROM to the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290] on Android 10. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
    • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • The system is based on eremitein's CAOS GSI project with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
    • Boot animation and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
    • This should be installed using my latest TWRP build for the SM-T290.
    • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption
    • MTP support (pending Samsung kernel source update)
    • Offline (cold) charging

Downloads:
    Build Archives:
    Change Log:
    20211121:
    • Updated to Android 11 OEM stock T290XXU3CUG4 kernel (July 2021 Update).
    • Switched underlying GSI from LineageOS 17.1 to CAOS 11.
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-1 (20211017).
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20211120) w/ rollback for WebView
    • IMPORANT NOTE: Dirty flash is not possible because we're transitioning to Android 11 kernel. Use Oden and do a factory reset from TWRP.
    20210516:
    • Switched GSI from custom AOSP build to the latest LineageOS 17.1 (20210512).
    • Restored enforced OEM file-based encryption to work around issue with screen lock.
    • Sized boot animation correctly for 720p screen.
    • Worked around issue with OpenGApp's Google Recorder installation.
    • Updated to OEM stock T290XXU3BUC1 kernel (March 2021 Update).
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.2_9-0.
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20210515)
    20210104:
    • Updated to OEM stock T290XXS3BTL6 kernel (December 2020 Update).
    • Updated TWRP recovery to v3.5.0_9-0.
    • Updated Google apps from latest OpenGapps Stock variant (20201223)
    20201223:
    • Initial build based on OEM stock T290XXU3BTI2 kernel (September 2020 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v222.
    • Latest Google apps from Stock variant of OpenGApps (20201205)

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Ensure matching OEM build (e.g. T290XXU3CUG4) is installed
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • When TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Reboot to system
    From existing TWRP install (for incremental updates):
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!
    Note: If you install Google Recorder from the Google Play Store, it works just fine. The issue is with the pre-installed APK from OpenGApps.
    SafetyNet check failed (but basic is true). SafetyNet on stock firmware failed too, but MagiskHide always help. In your ROM, if i turn on MagiskHide, i got cyclyng reboot, over and over again until i turn "hide" off.
    SafetyNet fails by design on any device with an unlocked bootloader and custom ROM. Magisk has its tricks to try to fool SafetyNet, but it's a bit of Whack-a-Mole game.
    Can you make a custom Kernel with GPU Overclock? Tablet not so bad and run some games pretty well, with overclock they can be runs much better.
    Unfortunately, the Android 10 kernel source that was posted last week is not working. It compiles fine, but builds to a significantly different size and crashes to the bootloader when packaged in either boot or recovery images. Until that's addressed, I can't provide an MTP fix or any overclocking.
    Note: I just posted a v3.4.0-1 update to my TWRP for SM-T290 thread that includes a new custom T290UES3ATC1 kernel fixing MTP support. If you install it over the TWRP build included in this build, it will allow file transfers on this custom ROM by rebooting to recovery.

Since this is an Android 10 custom ROM, I can't use it in the boot image, but it's a workaround until we get working T290XXU3BTI2 kernel source.
    Hi, there. I've managed to get the image installed, used the compatible version, etc. After rebooting, I got to TWRP, did the wipe, etc. Upon reboot, I get through to the setup process, skip the SIM setup stuff (no cell stuff in this T290) and then when trying to add a wifi connection, it never completes the "Connect to WiFi" step. If I skip, I can get through manual set up of the basics, manual time config, a few other prompts. All that seems okay. But even when I get to the main menu menu, it seems like everything is working (pulls up, etc) but I'm still not connected. The WiFi radio appears to be turned completely off. Each time I try to turn it back on, it flashes on for a split second, then immediately turns off again.

Any ideas I can try to get this enabled?
    Okay, all weekend I've been trying to figure out why wireless isn't working on my custom kernel, but it appears the OEM kernel isn't working as well...and I didn't even realize it. This is actually a hugely valuable data point that will drive my troubleshooting in an entirely different direction.

I'm embarrassed that I missed this in my initial smoke testing, but at least I know that my MTP fix is solid. More info to follow...