• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 18.1 Official [WEEKLY]

Search This thread

Csiliz

Dec 26, 2012
After the last updates, it very often happens that if I put the phone to charge for the night, I find the phone in the recovery in the morning. You didn't do this for the first 18.1 updates.
OS 17.1 did not do this.

Last edited:

BavoV

Apr 22, 2014
Antwerp
I softbricked by updating to this weeks update from last weeks update.

Two weeks ago I switched from 17.1 tot 18.1 by clean installing.
Last week I softbricked by updating from the clean install to the update of that week. I clean installed with the latest lineage package.
Yesterday same issue... I softbricked by updating the clean install to latest version.

What did I already try?

- reboot to TWRP
- reboot into system
- re install the update zip in TWRP
- re install the lineage package in TWRP

Now I have doubt as to the next step:

- TWRP wipe dalvik cach and reboot into system
- TWRP wipe cach and reboot into system
- TWRP wipe data,cach and reboot into system
-clean install and sit and wait for a clean install next week (the you are ****ed option)

More fundamental: how comes I softbrick every time?

On clean install I flash the RMM and verity-opt encrypt, lineage, gapp pico, magisk to root.
Lineage, TWRP all latest versions, no encription, use sd as internal mem
installed magisk and V4android module
Hide magisk from view and hide magisk for banking apps.

Frank_Dpunkt

Aug 24, 2021

Last week I softbricked by updating from the clean install to the update of that week. I clean installed with the latest lineage package.
Yesterday same issue... I softbricked by updating the clean install to latest version.

What did I already try?

- reboot to TWRP
- reboot into system

-clean install and sit and wait for a clean install next week (the you are ****ed option)

On clean install I flash the RMM and verity-opt encrypt, lineage, gapp pico, magisk to root.
Strange.
I'm using the identical hardware (A5 2017), also upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1.

Three or four updates so far, the last one a few hours ago today, all error-free.
However, I have neither installed gapps nor root stories.

Jmackley

Aug 12, 2017

What did I already try?

- reboot to TWRP
- reboot into system

When it softbricks, try reinstalling both magisk and gapps (if you used these)
also you shouldn't flash rmm, no encryption and no dm-verity when you are clean flashing a rom, once you have twrp installed and set up you should not need these

DarkmanAW

Oct 16, 2006
Leiferde
Sorry for that question but can I update from nightly to a newer nightly (i. e. lineage-18.1-20210909-nightly-a5y17lte to lineage-18.1-20210916-nightly-a5y17lte) without wiping dalvik and so?

GPS won't work so fine and my hope is that it ist better after an update.

Edit: There's is an update function in lineage os. Till today there was no function and now it works. I'm able to update the os to the newset version but gps didn't work so fine. If I try to make an GPS-test it needs a little time to find satellites an then google maps an other apps they need gps will work but not after a restart of the device.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2016
Sorry for that question but can I update from nightly to a newer nightly (i. e. lineage-18.1-20210909-nightly-a5y17lte to lineage-18.1-20210916-nightly-a5y17lte) without wiping dalvik and so?

GPS won't work so fine and my hope is that it ist better after an update.

Edit: There's is an update function in lineage os. Till today there was no function and now it works. I'm able to update the os to the newset version but gps didn't work so fine. If I try to make an GPS-test it needs a little time to find satellites an then google maps an other apps they need gps will work but not after a restart of the device.

Any ideas?
nightly -> nightly is an automatic process if you use the updater. (Setttings > System > Advanced > Updater), so if it's needed it will do it. (also doesn't matter anymore, dalvik hasn't been a thing since 5.1 or thereabouts)

Personally haven't had issues with GPS. Sure you're in an area with a clear line of sight to the sky, not around tall buildings, and not using a case made of metal?

Unrelated, but in the changelog, I'm noticing some mentions of FM (radio, presumably). Is there any progress on making it available for this device? Last I heard, it was mostly dropped until someone could make an open source version of the driver for it.

Jmackley

Aug 12, 2017
nightly -> nightly is an automatic process if you use the updater. (Setttings > System > Advanced > Updater), so if it's needed it will do it. (also doesn't matter anymore, dalvik hasn't been a thing since 5.1 or thereabouts)

Personally haven't had issues with GPS. Sure you're in an area with a clear line of sight to the sky, not around tall buildings, and not using a case made of metal?

Unrelated, but in the changelog, I'm noticing some mentions of FM (radio, presumably). Is there any progress on making it available for this device? Last I heard, it was mostly dropped until someone could make an open source version of the driver for it.
FM radio isn't happening, at least not any time soon

(...) So I have only this one issue of crackling sounds via Wifi calling especially with my SIP client and a bit on telegram, the weird thing skype calls working fine. I tryed to flashing without gapps und deactivated each speech inputs on 17.1 and 18.1 Lineageos and CRdroid but nothing really works. The main thing is the SIP client with it i can use my phone as a landline phone, telegramm isnt much necessary.
(...)
Hi.
I had this crackling sound in WiFi calls (=VoIP) already on LOS 17.1. On my side I heard the crackling sound and the other party heard a quite strong and irritating echo of its own voice.
After LOS 17.1 was officially stopped, I set up a clean wiped A5 (2017) with the actual version from Sep 02 and tested the same VoIP app again: Unfortunately the symptoms were the same as under LOS 17.1. Strange: With the old and latest official Samsung Firmware this is not the case?!
While searching around I found a similar issue reported by the Fairphone community relating to FP2 (Android9). The analysis there showed that it has to do with the advance echo cancelling (AEC) chip that needs a specific UUID. The Fix on the FP2 is described under FP2: Fix UUID's of aec and ns for audio_pre_processing
Maybe a similar error still exists in the actual build. If yes, maybe the hint from the Github commit above leads to a solution.
As I'm not developper I have no clue how to perform this, but I'd be very happy if somone can do it as I like this phone AND first of all Lineage OS (y)
PS: I can do tests of course as the latest build is not in production yet due to the described bug which is very annoying for me in daily use.

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Hi.
I had this crackling sound in WiFi calls (=VoIP) already on LOS 17.1. On my side I heard the crackling sound and the other party heard a quite strong and irritating echo of its own voice.
After LOS 17.1 was officially stopped, I set up a clean wiped A5 (2017) with the actual version from Sep 02 and tested the same VoIP app again: Unfortunately the symptoms were the same as under LOS 17.1. Strange: With the old and latest official Samsung Firmware this is not the case?!
While searching around I found a similar issue reported by the Fairphone community relating to FP2 (Android9). The analysis there showed that it has to do with the advance echo cancelling (AEC) chip that needs a specific UUID. The Fix on the FP2 is described under FP2: Fix UUID's of aec and ns for audio_pre_processing
Maybe a similar error still exists in the actual build. If yes, maybe the hint from the Github commit above leads to a solution.
As I'm not developper I have no clue how to perform this, but I'd be very happy if somone can do it as I like this phone AND first of all Lineage OS (y)
PS: I can do tests of course as the latest build is not in production yet due to the described bug which is very annoying for me in daily use.
I am aware of this bug. It is present both here and on other roms like riseq. Yes we can't get our aec and ns to work and multiple people have tried fixing it but unfortunately we haven't had any luck so far. This is an older Samsung phone issue and wrong UUID is not the problem here.

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Thank you for explaining. Would it be possible to analyse in some way how the original firmware can make proper use of the AEC?
I would've done it already if I knew how. Original firmware is oreo. Well, okay...pie if you count a720s koreas rom. We are using android 11 ril + audio hal here. Not made for our device. Need to fixup the missing or incorrect function somewhere.

You can just learn to live with it (don't use speaker, use earpiece or headphones in calls) or use stock or koreas rom and wait if someone magically comes up with a solution.

Last edited:

Newcostumer

Jan 20, 2018
Hi.
Hi I could fix it with kernel auditor app setting TCP Congestion on "cubic" and Kernel Governor on "performance" that the crackling sound disappear. But sometimes after restart you have to set again probably the lineage kernel is not made to tweak.

The interesting thing even without any fix Skype WiFi calls working fine there are no cracks or echos only telegram and SIP phone app making trouble.

With echos on lineage I had no problems or the other party don't said anything about an echo. Now I'm on riseQ and have no problems at the moment.

YUUG3N

Aug 24, 2021
does anyone else has low sound when recording video through any means like open camera, whatsapp etc? Is there a way to fix this without root, I heard editing mixer_paths.xml helps but I guess that requires root and somehow I couldn't find the file in the twrp file manager (didn't manage to pull it with adb either)

Provee

May 31, 2021
@Option58

could the reason for my youtube lagging issue be that I am using the Canadian A520W version of the a5 and the firmware is based off of the A520F? I am not sure if there are hardware or firmware variations that could make this lag.

grmcdorman

Oct 11, 2015
@Option58

could the reason for my youtube lagging issue be that I am using the Canadian A520W version of the a5 and the firmware is based off of the A520F? I am not sure if there are hardware or firmware variations that could make this lag.
I also have an A520W, and I do not have any issue with YouTube. Mind you, I don't typically play videos on the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Option58.

Just wanted to thank you once again for doing such a good job on this rom for our device, and thank you for your continued support over the many long years - galaxy a5 owners really have alot to look forward to thanks to your hard work, and not to mention you kept our devices up to date and relevant so thanks so much.

However my time with the Galaxy a5 has come to an end, as I finally managed to scrape together enough cash to get a pixel 4a. But before I leave this community I just wanted to thank you once again for helping a5 owners like me out with this excellent rom.
    Just pulled blobs and merged kernel patches from this new Korean firmware A720SKSU5CUJ2. Should arrive in the next build. Yell at me if something breaks.
    Curious that only Korea update the firmware. Is A720 not A7? Is that the same hardware like A5 and does it mean we can update the firmware with that release?

In Korea, they released their variant of A7 2017 half a year later, and because of that it got android 9 and they are still updating it with security patches (although this one could be the last one). Since it is the same hardware, a bit unfair to the international users, I know.

This is also important for lineage because we take kernel source drops and proprietary blobs from those firmwares. So Samsung pretty much issued security updates for those.

Should you want to use that, you can. I ported and called it "Korea's rom" in the other thread.
    Mic does not work when speaker-phone is turned on during VOIP like whatsapp and others. Flashed on a clean wipe. Any ideas what's going on. Tried editing the XML's but no dice.
    @Simon1511 has fixed this. Will arrive in the next build.
    No ETAs, it's gonna come when it's gonna be ready. You could ask if there are any plans for LineageOS 19, but try to not sound that demanding.
    LineageOS 18.1 Official for Galaxy A5|7 2017

Lineage_OS_Logo_Wiki_main.jpg

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (r), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.​

What's working?

• Audio
    • Calls
    • Wifi
    • Hotspot
    • Mobile data
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint
    • Hardware composer
    • OpenMAX (hardware encoding/decoding)
    • Camera (photos + recording)
    • NFC
    • Sensors
    • Vibration
    • Double tap to wake
    • Always on display
    • Software encryption
    • Sepolicy
    Security
    • We merged all patches from now also deprecated 3.18 Android Common Kernel from Google, which is some 4 years ahead of latest stock rom.
    • We are shipping with enforced selinux policy.

Supported variants

All variants of Galaxy A5 (2017) and Galaxy A7 (2017). Dual SIM is also supported.

How to install
    1. Make sure you had Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this.
    2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
    3. Download the lineage build and optionally google apps.
    4. In TWRP format data (if you still have stock rom encryption).
    5. In TWRP wipe data and cache.
    6. Flash LineageOS.
    7. Optional: Flash Google apps (rightafter).
    8. Reboot.

LineageOS updater will handle updates automatically (OTA).
    If you're flashing manually, it's okay to dirty flash.

Downloads

A5 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    A7 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    Google apps (arm64): wiki.lineageos.org

Old builds:
    18.1 beta: mega
    17.1 last official: androidfilehost
    17.1 alpha/beta: androidfilehost
    16.0 last official: mega
    16.0 alpha/beta: get.mcfy.fr
    15.1 last beta: androidfilehost
    14.1 last official: get.mcfy.fr

Donations
    If you find the work I did helpful, you could buy me coffee/beer/whatever via this link.

Telegram
    There's a telegram group made by A5|7 users where we hang out. Feel free to check it out.

Credits
    Huge thanks to:
    • @RaymanFX for the original work on lineage 14.1 and thus making this possible.
    • @forkbomb444 for valuable contribution to 7880 sources.
    • @Simon1511 for contributing to these devices via patches uploaded to lineageos gerrit.
    • @Stricted, @danwood76 and Dario for contribution to exynos platform.
    • @SGTPresticle for doing the testing.
    • LineageOS Team
    • Me, for the infinite hours spent on this project. :p

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][11][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 18.1 Official [WEEKLY], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017 A5 and A7

Contributors
    Option58
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_universal7880

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.140
    ROM Firmware Required: Samsung oreo firmware

Version Information
    Weekly

Created 2018-12-07
    Last Updated 2020-08-13
    FAQ
    Help my sim doesn't work
    Please read the installation instructions more carefully. Oreo firmware bootloader and modem is a must.
    You can find the collection along with the guide in THIS xda thread.

I'm sometimes having crackling sound when listening to music
    Turn off 'ok google now' functionality in google app settings. If you have troubles finding it you can as well go to settings>apps, find app called 'google' and disable microphone permission.

Does this rom support VoLTE?
    No. And it likely won't in the near future. Samsung's exynos VoLTE implementation is proprietary and non-standard. It is not possible on AOSP based roms for the time being.

My camera flash doesn't work
    This is an issue with the camera app. Just tap to focus anywhere and it will start working.

My device fails to encrypt
    1. You were likely using older TWRP, update to the latest version
    2. Backup your data somewhere (external sd, pc...)
    3. In TWRP Advanced -> Format data.

My hardware keys light up whenever I touch the screen
    Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Illuminate buttons only when pressed'. You might want to reduce time on the scaler to 1 second, too.

How to switch to full screen gestures
    1. Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Enable on-screen nav bar'.
    2. Navigate to Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation and tick 'Gesture navigation'.
    New build up!

This one is huge. The changelog list is big and I've probably fixed more bugs in the previous 7 days than I did in the past 6 months.
    Lineage 17.1 for this device is getting better and a lot of bugs are squashed now. We can now declare this a beta!

All the changes for this build are now properly sorted and merged-in. You can easily find everything at github.com/LineageOS, build the rom yourselves and contribute with new code, if you are able to.

• Beta 3.0
      • Pulled RIL blobs from G965F Q firmware (more modern, fixes signal strength)
      • Fixed issues with connecting to RILD (fixes in-call volume, fixes echo in calls)
      • Updated GPS blobs from A720S P firmware (better signal, we are actually able to acquire a lock)
      • Updated fingerprint blobs from A720S P firmware (works more reliably, dropped all hacks)
      • Pulled sensors from A720F O firmware (cleaner)
      • Updated DRM to support Widevine L1
      • More HALs are binderized
      • Build FlipFlap (a flip cover app)
      • Fully written and enforced selinux policy
      • Latest LineageOS sources

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=304603
    Also I've just updated my sources so you can fully build the rom again.

I've tested some roms like PixelExperience today on my device. It's not bad with the added 'google' feel to it. Later I might test RR and others.
    All that I'm asking from both developers and users is please be clear that these roms are based on LineageOS. Meaning that most of the hard work that actually got them to work was done here, on LineageOS. And unfortunately most of the issues they are facing as well :p Work was done by RaymanFX, forkbomb, and in the latest days by me. Not respecting this makes me less motivated to keep working on the device.

Cheers :highfive: