• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][11][begonia] Pixel Experience [OFFICIAL][AOSP]

Search This thread

orikei

Apr 21, 2016
Which TWRP version are you using exactly? Please post filename, download-link, maybe info/docs where it was mentioned.
Downloading the latest Europe version from the official TWRP site - https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote8pro.html
"twrp-3.5.2_9-0-begonia.img" and ive been cross referencing various guides on the Redmi note 8 pro not just relying on a singular article.

The official TWRP site gives information on disabling AVB and i followed that to a tee aswell as there instructions for installing via means of ADB - i also tried with Xiaomitool both with the official TWRP download and the one the xiaomitool selects and downloads for you - no success with either, wether i disable the AVB or not there is no luck

Currently running official MiUI ROM from there website filename "begonia_global_images_V12.0.8.0.QGGMIXM_20210514.0000.00_10.0_global_d29348a29b" that i have reflashed twice now after bootlooping - i worked this out on my own accord from previous experience and knowledge flashing devices - device runs as per factory UI would

hanzn

Apr 12, 2020
Downloading the latest Europe version from the official TWRP site - https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote8pro.html
"twrp-3.5.2_9-0-begonia.img" and ive been cross referencing various guides on the Redmi note 8 pro not just relying on a singular article.
I had a lot of issues with different versions. In the end the PE provided one worked for me:
From: https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/begonia/install/

Good luck!

Reactions: Compass Linux

rickboks

Dec 2, 2020
Hey, thanks for the great rom. My front camera with the new sensor actually works on this! I haven't had any of the stuttering issues described by others. Only downside for me was that there is a lot of Google stuff installed by default which I am not a fan of, but I guess that is to be expected on a ROM called 'Pixel Experience' :). I uninstalled most Google stuff apart from the Play store and everything is still running smoothly. Thanks again!

Reactions: Banditen01

derico3

Jan 4, 2012
Yes! I hadn't reported it because I'd assume that if it was happening to other people it would have been addressed in an update. And if not, then my phone would have some issue specifically with it that wouldn't be relevant to anyone else.

But yeah. Thought I would reply after seeing that as it is getting a bit annoying for me as well.

First thing, the stuttering / lock-ups have improved since the last update. It was about two update cycles ago when I started to notice this issue. I don't know how it's presenting for you or anyone else of course..
But, for me. The phone will lock-up on a screen, barely moving for about 20 seconds, and then all of a sudden snap back to working again. This probably happens once an hour for me. It's much more noticeable within the first 20ish minutes of powering on the device, and when there's a load on the RAM so it seems, particularly if a couple of videos are loaded.

This doesn't happen too often, but I guess the most irritating thing is when I'm listening to YT music or Spotify and all of a sudden the phone starts struggling to keep playing the music. Then for the next several minutes is noticeably jumpy/skippy.

Sorry about that random info just I threw out there guys. But I thought it may help in possibly identifying the issue if other people are having it.

So in summary (for me):
Is most noticeable at start-up and if there's a heavy media load in the background. Causes the entire OS to stutter when it happens (all sounds are affected). Started happening around the stable release of PE Android 11. Has improved since the last update.

Thank you guys. Appreciate the hard work regardless. :)
did you install magisk?
beacuse i do. and i use it for dnscript and adaway. im just trying to figure it out what makes it stuttering to. and i use the Pixel Experience Plus latest evrsion available. now im using the pixel experience non plus version. for now without magisk, and wait until 1 week and ill install magisk if the same still happen maybe thats whats makes it fr now 24 hour its still runs fine

edit: no its not magisk causing it. 48hours and its getting stuttering again :/ have no clue atm

Last edited:

orikei

Apr 21, 2016
Reactions: hanzn

joshankit

Feb 4, 2018
Hey, I have installed the latest A11(Plus edition rom) , I'm not sure why "Hey Google/ Ok Google" are not working, it just never gets activated even while having a conversation with the assistant, I think since this is custom it might be missing some packages or is it a bug? Is anyone else having this issue?

sarbiarbi

Sep 5, 2015
Pekanbaru
Bit lost, not like the old days of CM and the likes im afraid

Keep getting bootloops upon flashing TWRP (wont go past redmi logo and will just keep rebooting till said point) - went so far as needing to reflash the OEM ROM via miflash tools.

Ive tried everything and various methods of flashing - ADB CMD and 2 different programs made for the device, the VBM authentication, manually booting into recovery etc NOTHING will boot into TWRP, when it doesnt boot loop i simply get the stock recovery

Phone is unlocked, bootloader unlocked ofc, and every instruction followed to a T more than once
What am i doing wrong?
Don't use TWRP, use PBR instead https://pitchblackrecovery.com/begonia/.

Format the /userdata (internal storage) and /cache partition. also close the avb2

From my experience bootloops happened because the rom can't access the encrypted /userdata partition because it have been encrpted with password / fingerprint / lockscreen from the last rom.

Compass Linux

Apr 24, 2011
Bit lost, not like the old days of CM and the likes im afraid

Keep getting bootloops upon flashing TWRP (wont go past redmi logo and will just keep rebooting till said point) - went so far as needing to reflash the OEM ROM via miflash tools.

Ive tried everything and various methods of flashing - ADB CMD and 2 different programs made for the device, the VBM authentication, manually booting into recovery etc NOTHING will boot into TWRP, when it doesnt boot loop i simply get the stock recovery

Phone is unlocked, bootloader unlocked ofc, and every instruction followed to a T more than once
What am i doing wrong?
You need to follow the guide.

The guide has an older TWRP, so use this one (newer): https://sourceforge.net/projects/be...3.5.1_10-begonia_UNOFFICIAL_1604.img/download

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...xperience-official-aosp.4196041/post-85007057

Compass.

Reactions: hanzn
Ever since i installed this rom, my phone has been laggy as hell. Just randomly watching YouTube makes my phone freeze for 5 seconds. Why is that?
Miui worked fine, and it never lagged.
Yes i started to have freezes and sound stattering when watching videos too. Rom worked well for like 3 weeks, then I noticed it. It happens also for other apps with videos, for example Instagram. Whole app freeze and sometimes it shows that "app is unresponsive". It is also noticable when I use volume button and slider pops out, then video lags for 1 sec or more. YT music works though.
@grimmyxx do you have installed "oversharpen video fix" that remove hdr in videos? Maybe that's the problem. If so, do let me know, because I think I have this issue after flashing this fix, but I am not sure.

psyray

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for this ROM, it's working fine, except for OK Google.
Like others said, it does not work despite the fact it's well configured.
@ZIDAN44 Is this a known problem ?
I saw this post saying that the problem could come from a bad HotwordEnrollmentOKGoogle APK

Any ideas to make it works ?

Compass Linux

Apr 24, 2011
Does anyone get random stuttering too often? I have been on this ROM for about a week and it is starting to be very annoying.

I wanna know if this is common or I should re-flash the ROM
Occasionally I have stuttering. Sometimes with apps, other times with System UI (happened once that I can remember).

It doesn't happen often but it's there.

Compass.

tx1000

Feb 9, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
It has been a week since I installed this Rom it is working fine but the device lags or hangs while I do some heavy task like play games like COD mobile it gives that weird sound Its not like Ram is less I have 6GB I have checked the ram status I still see like 1.43 GB free even when COD is open in BG and I am unable to play then I get irritated and close the game it takes few seconds to get the device back working normally, I have tried installing it twice now but the issue is same, it is very inconvenient when the device lags and hangs while playing your favorite game, I would appreciate a fix. Thank you.

InuYashaAD1

Jun 14, 2021
It has been a week since I installed this Rom it is working fine but the device lags or hangs while I do some heavy task like play games like COD mobile it gives that weird sound Its not like Ram is less I have 6GB I have checked the ram status I still see like 1.43 GB free even when COD is open in BG and I am unable to play then I get irritated and close the game it takes few seconds to get the device back working normally, I have tried installing it twice now but the issue is same, it is very inconvenient when the device lags and hangs while playing your favorite game, I would appreciate a fix. Thank you.
I've had issues with that game on stock MIUI 12 so it could just be that the game isn't well optimized for the device. I did notice a lot of other games having issues too like pokemon go so I'm going with this to see if it's any better. It could just be too many background tasks, I know facebook often causes ram issues because of all the bloat it has in the background.

BongoInCongo

Jun 14, 2021
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far I must say the latest update runs a lot smoother, only issue I've run into so far is the fact the phone is not encrypted and also doesn't seem to want to encrypt :-\ Which means it's 100% useless when it comes to using it for work which demands it is encryped.
    Source Changelog:
    • July security patch
    • Updated translations

1. • Improved FaceUnlock
    • Minor bug fixes

Device Changelog:
    • Initial based on global miui 12.5
    • Switched to oss for many hals
    • Fixed google HotwordEnrollment
    • Fixed night light
    • Fixed YT video glitch
    • Much more smoother then before

Notes:
    • Use latest 12.5 TWRP
    • Don't change kernel
    • Must need a clean flash
    For those of you wanting to clean flash here are the instructions which worked for me (no boot loop):

Downloads:
    1. OAndBackupX (root is required for making backups and restoring; most app + data backups work; a few don't);
    2. twrp-3.5.2_11-1-UNOFFICIAL-begonia .img (only for MIUI 12.5.x Android 11 or custom ROMS based on it);
    3. BRP3.5.2v2.7-twrp.zip (I've not tested this, but it's for non-CFW Custom ROMS based on MIUI 12.5.x Android 11 and has some nice extra features some people might want, like "Close avb 2.0", "Patch vbmeta" and Magisk is also included; the changelog warns not to install older BRP themes);
    4. PixelExperience_Plus_begonia-11.0-20210717-0310-OFFICIAL.zip;
    5. Magisk v23.0 (you can skip the Magisk standalone installation if you use BRP3.5.2v2.7-twrp.zip since it has Magisk internally; or you can install Magisk manually as below).
    Installation:
    1. Install OAndBackupX, make your backups (only apps + data; restoring system + data is likely to cause issues) and save it somewhere safe like an external SDCARD (because when you format data below you'll lose everything in internal storage);
    2. Boot to your current recovery (mine was twrp-UNIFIED-3.5.1_10-begonia_UNOFFICIAL_1604.img);
    3. Flash/Install twrp-3.5.2_11-1-UNOFFICIAL-begonia.img (select the "Install Image" button then the recovery partition) or BRP3.5.2v2.7-twrp.zip;
    4. Flash/Install PixelExperience_Plus_begonia-11.0-20210717-0310-OFFICIAL.zip;
    5. Format data (no need to wipe/format anything else, you can also format data from fastboot with "fastboot format userdata"; thanks Odea);
    6. Reboot to system;
    7. Install Magisk v23.0 apk;
    8. Reboot to recovery;
    9. Flash/Install Magisk v23.0 zip (rename the .apk to .zip so you can flash it);
    10. Restore your app + data backups;
    11. Profit.
    Compass.
    I am also facing same issue with new twrp recovery for android 11, it crashes on teamwin screen... the old unified recovery works fine... even we are adopting the same method for every rom and recovery..

Also there is no option to close avb 2.0 and patch vbmeta in new recovery.. i think this may also be the reason for boot loop...

i just found the solution.. we should use this recovery https://www.pling.com/p/1556862/ for A11 and custom roms...
    the team win recovery is bugged..

Thanks for the help Compass, I'm using two different phones, one is rather new (the new front cam) and one is about 6-12 months older. Both have the exact same issue, this recovery simply does not seem to want to work on either.

I am even booting into it through the 'fastboot reboot recovery' command which works a dream when flashing the old twrp unified 3.5.1_10 but not the newer version which makes no sense.... I am running PixelExperience_begonia-11.0-20210514-0254-OFFICIAL so I'm rather clueless as to why I'm running into this wall and have the feeling I simply need a different TWRP version or something.
    OK guys, I've figured out what went wrong on your side.

If you follow my guide to the letter it works. If you don't you'll have issues with TWRP because the version used in my guide is only for MIUI 12.5.x Android 11 or custom ROMS based on it, which means releases prior to 17/07/2021 you have to use a compatible TWRP.

Odea flashed this new TWRP with PixelExperience_begonia-11.0-20210514-0254-OFFICIAL which isn't based on MIUI 12.5.x, hence the issues.

If you want "Close avb 2.0", "Patch vbmeta" and some extras (it has Magisk builtin for example) use BRP3.5.2v2.7-twrp.zip (for non-CFW Custom ROMs based on MIUI 12.5.x Android 11). I've added this recovery to my guide.

I apologize for the confusion. I've edited my guide accordingly.

Compass.
    I could not agree more. The phone is much smoother now and with the NIght Light working it's simply the best experience one can have on a device like this. The only issue (which is a make-or-break kinda deal) is the encryption. The device ain't encrypted, and so a work profile cannot be created.

DId anyone find a solution to this?
    As compass mentioned it seems to be part of the current Build of the ROM... So my solution is wait for the next version... :giggle: Not sure if that counts as a solution though... :geek:
    Hey Compass, thanks for your manual!
    1. Install OAndBackupX, make your backups (only apps + data; restoring system + data is likely to cause issues) and save it somewhere safe like an external SDCARD (because when you format data below you'll lose everything in internal storage);
    Do you know if OAndBackupX is supporting to backup the files to your computer instead of an SD card?

GtwTyCR.png

PixelExperience for Redmi Note 8 Pro [begonia]

What is this?
    Pixel Experience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, bootanimation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11.0

Whats working?
    Wifi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint reader
    Lights
    Sound / vibration

Known issues
    Nothing

HOW TO FLASH PE
    Guide

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel

Source Changelog:
    • March security patch
    • Implemented new Face Unlock, with support for 3rd apps
    • Added ability to select custom ringtone for 2nd sim card
    • Added support for NTFS/EXFAT on USB Disks and sdcard
    • Improved animations when unlocking
    • Add support for Bluetooth SBC Dual Channel
    • Others improvements

Device Changelog:
    • Region-aware firmware flashing
    • Dropped Secure Element Hals
    • Added Missing Entries In Manifest
    • Fixed MI Thermald
    • Switched To Enforce Sepolicy
    • Fixed Front Camera For New Sensors
    • Cleaned Unused Vendor Blobs
    • Dropped All Aee Ramdisk Calls
    • Updated Prebuild Modules
    • Under the hood improvements

Notes:
    • MiUi FW Is Inbuild So No Need To Flash FW.
    • New Front Camera Sensor Should Work Now.
    Changelog:
    • Fixed Kernel DTB Build
    • Some Minor Changes

Notes:
    • MiUi FW Is Inbuild So No Need To Flash FW.
    Source Changelog:
    • April security patch
    • Updated translations
    • Improved face unlock
    • Performance and stability improvements

Device Changelog:
    • Synced some blobs with begonia RP1A.200720.011
    • Updated FW from begonia V12.0.7.0.QGGMIXM
    • Updated blobs from begonia V12.0.7.0.QGGMIXM
    • Synced media files with MIUI V12.0.7.0.QGGMIXM
    • Synced NFC files with MIUI V12.0.7.0.QGGMIXM
    • Switched to arch variant to ARMv8.2-A
    • Cleaned up some unused props
    • Cleaned up rootdir init rc
    • Dropped unused flags
    • Removed aosp rils completely
    • Moved rro overlays to vendor

Note:
    • For twrp encryption fix use new TWRP (https://sourceforge.net/projects/be...3.5.1_10-begonia_UNOFFICIAL_1604.img/download)
    Woow finally!
    Thank you very much for this!
    I can confirm, that the selfie cam is working.