[ROM][11][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Lenovo P2

Search This thread

Jerghal

Aug 16, 2015
Flashed it from TWRP. Seems to be working well at the moment. The only thing I noticed is that the ringtone when it plays when being called is stuttering. When you are in the menu to select the ringtone it plays normally...

Msharu73

Dec 30, 2017
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I have seen a couple of posts regarding 'cast'. I am on 6th June release. I have tested cast both by casting my screen, and by using bbc iplayer to cast a series (I watched the lot 6 episodes). I can confirm that cast works perfectly (it was casted to a gen1 chromecast). I have the P2a42. I did a clean install even formatting system. I have no root/magisk. I used the recommended recovery image (lineage not twrp) and also flashed the recommended gapps.

After a week of use so far I have found no issues related to anything including: making and receiving phones calls, google photos, whatasapp, all of which seem to function perfectly. (Note: i have not tested video calls in whatsapp only voice and messages.) The only issue I had was at install, I could not 'see' my google backup even though it was there, so have lost call logs and old messages.

So many thanks Mike for an excellent job and all your hard work.
Hi numenory, is Poweroff Alarm (the Alarm which is set at sleep time to wake Lenovo P2 in morning for ringing Alarm. I switch off my P2 at night) working for you?? Also for me, Quick Tiles Drop-down Setting button crashes when touched. Please check and inform. Thanks.

Sutcliffe9

Mar 13, 2014
Leeds
Hi numenory, is Poweroff Alarm (the Alarm which is set at sleep time to wake Lenovo P2 in morning for ringing Alarm. I switch off my P2 at night) working for you?? Also for me, Quick Tiles Drop-down Setting button crashes when touched. Please check and inform. Thanks.
Quick tiles setting button works ok for me.

zockermatrix

Jun 20, 2021
Hi, I like the new customized Android version very much and it works really great.
Btw kudos to you Mike for your support and hard work.

I have a very important question. I have been a new prepaid Telekom user from Germany for 1 month and would like to use VoLTE, as this is included in my tariff. Unfortunately, this does not work with the last Android Nougat Original Firmware, nor with this Custom Rom. I have also made all specific settings, such as activating the VoLTE marking, adjusted Apn settings, etc.

Is VoLTE really only available in India for this device?

Sutcliffe9

Mar 13, 2014
Leeds
I have just done a OTA updae to latest build and phone was in a boot loop and now booted into recovery mode.

en666

Apr 23, 2011
Lenovo p2c72, twrp 3.5.1, magisk 23, ext4 partitions, pin unlocked, updated to 18.1 2021-06-20 with the updater app. Everything smooth. Fantastic 18.1 ROM, thanks a lot Mike.

High battery consumption in 17.1 forced me to go to Nova launcher to save a little bit more of juice. With 18.1 it's now a couple of days I am back to Trebuchet, it seems it is working just fine, no major battery drain so far.

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
The cast we're talking about is the android built-in cast that shows everything happening in your screen. It doesn't affect apps with their own private cast functionality, because those simply require a network connection to work.
The casts I was talking about were both the what is happening on your screen and app casting. Both work as described in my post.
Screenshot_20210622-100607_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20210622-100819_Trebuchet.jpg
IMG_20210622_100847.jpg

Reactions: 3volution3

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
I must admit I have never used an alarm when phone is switched off, but I have tested and it does not work for me. I also tried installing the google clock from the play store which also did not work. I do have a pin lock set on boot. I set the alarm for about 8 minutes from shutdown.

With regard to Quick Tiles, I have had no issues.

3volution3

Feb 4, 2019
The casts I was talking about were both the what is happening on your screen and app casting. Both work as described in my post.
Lucky you. Not all of us get to have a working cast. I wish it worked for me. I have no idea why it would work on some and not in others. Maybe your TV has a different version of the cast protocol or maybe you installed something that replaces the default cast that comes with the ROM. Please let us know if you did something to get it working. We would appreciate it :)

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
Lucky you. Not all of us get to have a working cast. I wish it worked for me. I have no idea why it would work on some and not in others. Maybe your TV has a different version of the cast protocol or maybe you installed something that replaces the default cast that comes with the ROM. Please let us know if you did something to get it working. We would appreciate it :)
I have not installed anything additional, nor have I rooted. My original post details the 18.1 version etc and how I installed the rom. I am using a Google Chromecast gen1 plugged into an hdmi as per original post. When I get chance I will try with a later gen chromecast, but I do not own one, so this will only be when I mange to visit a friend that has one.

3volution3

Feb 4, 2019
I have not installed anything additional, nor have I rooted. My original post details the 18.1 version etc and how I installed the rom. I am using a Google Chromecast gen1 plugged into an hdmi as per original post. When I get chance I will try with a later gen chromecast, but I do not own one, so this will only be when I mange to visit a friend that has one.
Ah you use chromecast. The one that doesn't work is not chromecast. It's called miracast I think. You don't need any hdmi adapter or anything like that. It connects directly (or through the router) from your phone/laptop wifi to your TV wifi.

Reactions: hnsaba

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
Ah you use chromecast. The one that doesn't work is not chromecast. It's called miracast I think. You don't need any hdmi adapter or anything like that. It connects directly (or through the router) from your phone/laptop wifi to your TV wifi.
I have heard of but have never used a miracast and I believe they use a different protocol to the proprietary chromecasts. TVs such as sony (probably not all models) include built in google chromecast, again, I do not have one but know somebody with one and will test when i see him. It does not surprise me that miracast does not work. I also have a hisense tv, which i can send youtube to directly from my phone but nothing else, this was the same on 17.1, I do not know what protocol/system it uses, I have not looked in to it. If the problem is the miracast I would suggest a possible solution of replacing with a chromecast gen 3, which in the uk at least are available for £20, again I have not tested a gen 3.

hnsaba

Sep 17, 2017
I have heard of but have never used a miracast and I believe they use a different protocol to the proprietary chromecasts. TVs such as sony (probably not all models) include built in google chromecast, again, I do not have one but know somebody with one and will test when i see him. It does not surprise me that miracast does not work. I also have a hisense tv, which i can send youtube to directly from my phone but nothing else, this was the same on 17.1, I do not know what protocol/system it uses, I have not looked in to it. If the problem is the miracast I would suggest a possible solution of replacing with a chromecast gen 3, which in the uk at least are available for £20, again I have not tested a gen 3.
Miracast is the protocol's name. In 17.1 I could cast my phone's screen to a LG TV, now with 18.1 it stops in the initial connecting step.

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
Miracast is the protocol's name. In 17.1 I could cast my phone's screen to a LG TV, now with 18.1 it stops in the initial connecting step.
Arrr good luck, apologies for the pointless reply, just interested. Is it affecting all android 11 custom roms or just just the P2 custom ones and is it an issue with Android 11 (non custom oem roms) generally?

Reactions: hnsaba

numenory

Apr 29, 2019
My phone is on stock android 7... can i install this now, or will it need another rom first ?
Number of years since I did this, but I started with android 7 and it works fine. Follow the instructions at the start of page 1 of the thread. The first step if you haven't is unlocking the bootloader, this used to take about 2 weeks from memory which is a Lenovo limitation, you request it, and then it counts down the days.

itso85

Jun 15, 2021
So far so good! Dirty flashed it as a twrp sideload(wiped dalvic and cache only), then flashed the latest magisk.

en666

Apr 23, 2011
enovo p2c72, twrp 3.5.1, magisk 23, ext4 partitions, pin unlocked, updated to 18.1 2021-06-27 with the updater app. Everything smooth. Fantastic 18.1 ROM, thanks a lot Mike.

mahmutpekkara

Jun 13, 2014
Lenovo P2
Installed with full clean format with lineage os recovery, there is no problem so far! Excellent work @mikeioannina and the all other respectful devs! Even audio cracking bug is gone! Only minor issue is phone not automaticly waking up for alarm when it is off.

Edit: Just remembered there was an issue when you first setup the phone, google first setup app crashed and phone freezed. I forcly closed phone (hold power button for 10 seconds) , rebooted and problem is gone. I suppose this problem was coming from indicated gaaps. Maybe we need updated or other gaaps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Installation:
    If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended LineageOS recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
    You can use TWRP for installation, however it is no longer officially supported since we do not have full control of its update cycle and potential issues.
    Previous recommended TWRP image: twrp-3.2.3-20190209-kuntao.img

If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
    As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

Detailed installation instructions:
    Install LineageOS on kuntao

Detailed upgrade instructions from previous version:
    Upgrade LineageOS on kuntao

Download link:
    LineageOS Downloads

Recommended Google Apps package:
    MindTheGapps (choose ARM64 11.0 zip)

Changelog:
    Changes for kuntao

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to mikeioannina
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

Source Code:
    https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required:
    Any version of stock 6.0. Recommended P2a42_S251_171107_ROW
    Builds will be available once next weekly build cycle starts.
    I planned to enable monthly 18.1 builds, however the kernel is missing 2 whole years of security patches at this point. 4.9 kernel port has had no progress at all and now 4.9 is also end of life...

Honestly not sure what to do here, I am extremely busy nowadays and don't really have time to go through 2+ years of Android Security Bulletins and apply the missing kernel patches.
    Next build will be including the battery drain fix, sorry it took so long I haven't really checked this thread in a long time.
    First, thanks for following up the development of this worthy device and expressing your concerns.

About the kernel, wouldn't it be better to base the work on one of the CAF android kernels which have SLTS support for example 4.19 or 5.10 (which have support until 2029 and 2030 and already include all security and functionality patches) and then only port kuntao's specific drivers to it (including camera, charger, touch, ...)?
    IMHO, this approach is far better and more straightforward in comparison to cherry picking more than 2 years of left patches and port them to an old kernel.
    In theory it's easy but in practice there are certain difficulties in porting a new kernel.

QCOM has released 4.9 kernel that supports msm8953 SoC, but it depends on firmware and proprietary blob updates which we will obviously not get from lenovo. That can be bypassed by writing some compatibility layers in kernel to make older blobs work, and in other cases update some blobs from other devices to make it work.

Then you have the device specific drivers that need to ported and adapted to new kernel ABI. which is also hard.

After doing all that and making everything fully work, you are still left with 4.9 kernel which is EOL and you are left on old android version because our proprietary blobs are too old in some cases (for example camera) and they can't work easily on new android versions.

Porting an even newer kernel like 4.19 would require also porting the base drivers for msm8953 SoC support which could also take quite a while to do properly.

I have posted my work in progress 4.9 kernel a year ago here https://github.com/mikeNG/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/commits/lineage-18.1-4.9
    and nobody else seems to be interested. I have almost 30 phones to maintain now for lineage and work, so I don't really have time to dedicate and do this alone.