• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Razer Phone 2

Search This thread
Ooooohh. I'd only ever heard of the Razer Phone 2 being referred to as Cheryl 2.
It's referred to as "Cheryl-2" in some system menus and some online information sites but it's actual designation (codename) is "Aura". I ran into this when I was first exploring my RP2, so just to be clear the RP1, or Razer Phone is designated "Cheryl" and the RP2, or Razer Phone 2 is designated "Aura". Hope that clears up some confusion.

I applied update 711 from the ADB about 10 minutes ago and since I clicked reboot to system it's just stuck in the boot screen with the little animation running, I assume this isn't normal, is there some step I may have missed that would cause this? Thanks for any help.
Update, after about an hour of waiting I rebooted to the recovery and it told me the data was corrupted, is there something else I need to do in the ADB install other than running the "adb sideload lineage-packagename.zip" and rebooting to the system?

zasha_net

Jul 18, 2021
Razer Phone 2
Update, after about an hour of waiting I rebooted to the recovery and it told me the data was corrupted, is there something else I need to do in the ADB install other than running the "adb sideload lineage-packagename.zip" and rebooting to the system?
Since you are using ADB did you flash the updated recovery file as well as the new update?

Sounds like your device still has the 16.xx recovery image.

zasha_net

Jul 18, 2021
Razer Phone 2
I'm sorta new to this, do I need to be updating my recovery with every os release?
If you are side loading with adb for a fresh install, yes.

Here is the guide for a clean install.

IMPORTANT: Please read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps! I cannot stress that enough*

If you are just trying to update, then I strongly suggest using the built in updater on your device. If you still plan on using a PC to update you will need one running linux/macOS and push the update script.

You can find the update instructions here.

If you are able to, I would suggest a clean install and then do future updates inside the device, let me know if any of that helps!

If you are side loading with adb for a fresh install, yes.

Here is the guide for a clean install.

IMPORTANT: Please read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps! I cannot stress that enough*

If you are just trying to update, then I strongly suggest using the built in updater on your device. If you still plan on using a PC to update you will need one running linux/macOS and push the update script.

You can find the update instructions here.

If you are able to, I would suggest a clean install and then do future updates inside the device, let me know if any of that helps!
Thank you very much for your help, but my reasoning for needing to sideload an update is that my built-in updater doesn't work, as far as I can tell I'm not the only one with this issue and some people have said that after they sideloaded and update the built-in updater started working again. Once again, thank you very much for your input!

s2601d

Nov 28, 2019
Razer Phone 2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Another question I have is does anyone have a link to a guide or know how to install Magisk on here? I've looked around a little bit and haven't found a lot of useful information on how to install it on a RP2, so any help y'all might have is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Standark magisk instruction, install, and after follow the instruction, load bootloader it will patch it, after with lineage installer on DFU mode just reflash on a patched one, its easy just follow their instruction

cxll

Nov 16, 2015
Razer Phone 2
An SD card formatted as internal storage will not allow apps to be stored on it, and when attempted a prompt will appear, saying "Not enough storage space"

Please fix this , 64GB nowadays seems like a toy

[email protected]

Oct 25, 2018
闪光灯不能用,手电筒不能用,手电筒提示相机正在使用闪光灯,希望团队能解决这个bug

The flash cannot be used, and the flashlight cannot be used. The flashlight indicates that the camera is using the flash. I hope the team can solve this bug

magisk installed,is this the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

s2601d

Nov 28, 2019
Razer Phone 2
OnePlus 9 Pro
闪光灯不能用,手电筒不能用,手电筒提示相机正在使用闪光灯,希望团队能解决这个bug

The flash cannot be used, and the flashlight cannot be used. The flashlight indicates that the camera is using the flash. I hope the team can solve this bug

magisk installed,is this the problem?
No its well known bugs
1. Flashlight not working
2. Almoust all apps which have build in camera, uses wrong lense, what makes impossible to focus on any image
3. You cant transfer apps to external SD card
4. Some of apps crashes during start, because they using wrong resolution of screen
Even this 4 bugs makes using now as a daily driver Lineage OS on all builds inluding the last one 18.1 build very hard.

Reactions: Succous and 8bp
So I've been running the 725 build and so far it works with WiFi. The same aforementioned bugs persist in this build, namely the resolution and refresh rate being locked in at their highest setting, the camera system only using the telephoto (long distance) camera, and the flashlight not turning on due to it reporting that it's being used by the camera.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
So far there are five major aura-specific bugs that stand out to me that have yet to be resolved, two of which have gitlab issues created for them. I will try and capture the camera bug and logcat it, and see what I can do for the other bugs.

For a refresher:
  • Flashlight does not work, the button in the status bar pull-down menu tray says the camera is constantly in use and is grayed out.
  • The back camera is primarily using the wrong lens, namely the zoom lens, forcing the camera to be zoomed in at all times, making it hard to take pictures that aren't blurry and distorted.
  • There is an audio bug where if audio levels are below a certain threshold, it simply will not play any audio at all.
  • The phone completely locks up when watching certain video playbacks, and has to have the power button held down for a hard reset every time it happens. For me personally, this has happened numerous times watching videos on Snapchat, but I know it happens on YouTube and other media, like Google Photos.
  • An SD card formatted as internal storage will not allow apps to be stored on it, and when attempted a prompt will appear, saying "Not enough storage space".
These bugs are quite a major hindrance in being able to enjoy Lineage on aura properly and a major frustration point in using the phone as a daily driver. Hopefully they can be resolved soon.
1. Aware, looking into it.
2. Aware, looking into it.
3. Didn't know, looking into it.
4. Link me a video, 4k costa rica video on youtube plays fine for me...
5. Yeah, we weren't intended to support adoptable storage afaik, I'll go disable it.

Top Liked Posts

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

Yes, thank you npjohnson and everyone else who's working on this project!
    Of course!

I really enjoy working on Android, and I know Mike does too. Always fun when the output can be enjoyed by others :)
    Update on this. Holy crap guys, thank you!

I've ordered the part and scheduled the repair.

Excited for Android S to come around!

Of course!

I really enjoy working on Android, and I know Mike does too. Always fun when the output can be enjoyed by others :)
    Has anyone seen any word about a fix for the camera and flashlight issue? I know the latest update (829) included a large number is minor fixes but I didn't see much about the camera/flashlight issue.
    Update on this. Holy crap guys, thank you!

I've ordered the part and scheduled the repair.

Excited for Android S to come around!

Would anyone recommend this for a daily driver yet? Besides the couple known issues how TMobile friendly is it? Been wanting to try something new that's not the stock rom lol.
    Works well with Tmobile. It does have some camera issues and flash light doesn't work. If you're OK with that then it will work for a daily driver.
    Are there any updates about the status of any of the bugs (camera/flashlight, game audio, video freezes)? Thanks in advance!
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Detailed installation instructions:
    Install LineageOS on aura

Download link:
    LineageOS Downloads

Recommended Google Apps package:
    MindTheGapps (choose ARM64 11.0 zip)

Changelog:
    Changes for aura

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Known bugs:
    - Can't switch FPS (defaults to 120)
    - Can't switch screen resolution (defaults to 2560x1440)
    - Chroma RGB LEDs are not implemented yet

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to mikeioannina
    Donate via PayPal to npjohnson
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

Source Code:
    https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required:
    Recommended 9.0 - P-SMR6-RC001-RZR-201022 (automatically installed with the ROM)

Special thanks to the following users for donating money so I could buy the device:
    @jal3223
    @Mikekrd
    @jonchance_84
    @InViSiB0B
    @kountry83
    @RKBD
    After almost one whole year since I got the device, bringup is finally done and we can enjoy a newer android version than stock 9.0.

Builds will be available once next weekly build cycle starts.

Thanks to the people that donated for the device and thanks to @npjohnson for all the testing and figuring out some issues.
    So far there are five major aura-specific bugs that stand out to me that have yet to be resolved, two of which have gitlab issues created for them. I will try and capture the camera bug and logcat it, and see what I can do for the other bugs.

For a refresher:
    • Flashlight does not work, the button in the status bar pull-down menu tray says the camera is constantly in use and is grayed out.
    • The back camera is primarily using the wrong lens, namely the zoom lens, forcing the camera to be zoomed in at all times, making it hard to take pictures that aren't blurry and distorted.
    • There is an audio bug where if audio levels are below a certain threshold, it simply will not play any audio at all.
    • The phone completely locks up when watching certain video playbacks, and has to have the power button held down for a hard reset every time it happens. For me personally, this has happened numerous times watching videos on Snapchat, but I know it happens on YouTube and other media, like Google Photos.
    • An SD card formatted as internal storage will not allow apps to be stored on it, and when attempted a prompt will appear, saying "Not enough storage space".
    These bugs are quite a major hindrance in being able to enjoy Lineage on aura properly and a major frustration point in using the phone as a daily driver. Hopefully they can be resolved soon.
    1. Aware, looking into it.
    2. Aware, looking into it.
    3. Didn't know, looking into it.
    4. Link me a video, 4k costa rica video on youtube plays fine for me...
    5. Yeah, we weren't intended to support adoptable storage afaik, I'll go disable it.
    I might have jumped the gun creating this thread, build will be probably available on Sunday :/

For a refresher: