• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][11][OFFICIAL][tucana] CipherOS-1.7-ASTRA

Search This thread

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
May I ask how long you will support this ROM with updates? It looks like the perfect ROM to switch from stock and it seems like it is finally bloatfree solution for the phone, without disabling the half of the apps like on the stock ROM ... :D In terms of security this ROM also seems to get faster Google patches than the stock one, but how is it with privacy? Can everyone contribute or do you check the code, so we can be sure its rather safe to use. I am always scared with third party ROMs, that the ROMs are with less privacy than with the stock ones. How is the battery compared to stock? Thank you for your incredible work! Do you have a donation link as well?

I will provide updates for a long time. Idk how long exactly but even when I buy me a new phone I will still build android (A12 is also planned).

All sources are available for everyone to see at github/gitlab. And yes Cipher is getting security updates faster than stock. Privacy is a lot better in Cipher as in MIUI.
Everyone can contribute, but only approved changes will be added. For example I merged a part of the june security patch.
On the device source side only changes I did or I want are getting merged.
Even the kernel version is higher than stock. I merged googles latest security patches and the latest changes from qcom.

Battery is better than stock. Not as perfect as lineage but still great.

😂And yes I have a donation link. Please look in my signature below.

Last edited:

MinimalDroid

Jun 14, 2021
Great! I will check it out. So would you suggest CipherOS over LineageOS for stability? Did I understand it right, that you maintain the CipherOS sources for this device, so only if you push it as update it will appear as update? I am just asking, because CipherOS does not seem to be popular and I don't understand whats the difference to LineageOS and who is behind this project. Thank you

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
Great! I will check it out. So would you suggest CipherOS over LineageOS for stability? Did I understand it right, that you maintain the CipherOS sources for this device, so only if you push it as update it will appear as update? I am just asking, because CipherOS does not seem to be popular and I don't understand whats the difference to LineageOS and who is behind this project. Thank you
You have to distinguish between device and ROM sources.

ROM sources are the sources for Cipher itself. These are the same for every device. A team of people are maintaining it. (A few days ago I got promoted, and I'm now a part of the team too).

Device sources are the sources you need to build with the ROM sources. These contain device specific stuff. For example the kernel, fod hal, audio stuff... When a new version of Cipher arrives or I added some features to the device or I fixed a bug on the device, I compile the ROM and push it as an update.

A normal maintainer only maintains his device sources and just uses the latest ROM sources.

Cipher is based off Lineage. It contains a few more features, like a modified UI, face unlock, ... I personally prefer Cipher over LOS because the UI is smoother. Lineage is more popular, but Cipher is also growing.

Last edited:

eamon.ash

May 22, 2014
gaza
You have to distinguish between device and ROM sources.

ROM sources are the sources for Cipher itself. These are the same for every device. A team of people are maintaining it. (A few days ago I got promoted, and I'm now a part of the team too).

Device sources are the sources you need to build with the ROM sources. These contain device specific stuff. For example the kernel, fod hal, audio stuff... When a new version of Cipher arrives or I added some features to the device or I fixed a bug on the device, I compile the ROM and push it as an update.

A normal maintainer only maintains his device sources and just uses the latest ROM sources.

Cipher is based off Lineage. It contains a few more features, like a modified UI, face unlock, ... I personally prefer Cipher over LOS because the UI is smoother. Lineage is more popular, but Cipher is also growing.
Thanks for your hard work

MinimalDroid

Jun 14, 2021
I flashed it. Its incredible! CipherOS really needs more awareness. Everything works so far. No FC's yet. Feels like the Nexus devices I had in the past. Together with the great hardware its the best phone experience yet!

Just one more question: The updater shows the possibility to flash/update recovery. Is it safe to enable this or should we keep your twrp version?

And just one idea: There is a feature, so that apps are locked and can be unlocked with fingerprint. Is it possible to add a counter like in MIUI, so apps stay unlocked X seconds? Also the option to let them unlocked until next screen lock would be nice. I guess this is something for the core CipherOS, but I don't now where to post suggestions for ChipherOS.

I will post if I spot any issues, but I tried nearly everything already and it works perfectly. ❤️❤️❤️

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
I flashed it. Its incredible! CipherOS really needs more awareness. Everything works so far. No FC's yet. Feels like the Nexus devices I had in the past. Together with the great hardware its the best phone experience yet!

Just one more question: The updater shows the possibility to flash/update recovery. Is it safe to enable this or should we keep your twrp version?

And just one idea: There is a feature, so that apps are locked and can be unlocked with fingerprint. Is it possible to add a counter like in MIUI, so apps stay unlocked X seconds? Also the option to let them unlocked until next screen lock would be nice. I guess this is something for the core CipherOS, but I don't now where to post suggestions for ChipherOS.

I will post if I spot any issues, but I tried nearly everything already and it works perfectly. ❤️❤️❤️
You should stay with twrp. I will forward your feature request later.

Reactions: MinimalDroid

MinimalDroid

Jun 14, 2021
Yesterday I had some trouble during a call. The person could hear me just for a few seconds, then I just could hear the other person. First I tought its because of handsfree toggled on, but it turned out its VoLTE. I disabled it and it works good now. But it also could be LTE related from the provider because my LTE signal was weak during the call. I just want to mention it, in case other have same "problem".

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
Yesterday I had some trouble during a call. The person could hear me just for a few seconds, then I just could hear the other person. First I tought its because of handsfree toggled on, but it turned out its VoLTE. I disabled it and it works good now. But it also could be LTE related from the provider because my LTE signal was weak during the call. I just want to mention it, in case other have same "problem".
Hmm... I always use VoLTE for calling someone and don't have this issue. Please watch in future if this problem still occurs and if yes please send me a log while calling in a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinimalDroid

MinimalDroid

Jun 14, 2021
Is there a way for getting rid of the warning message:
"Trust: This build was signed with public keys" ?

It pops up everytime when starting the system. Sorry for asking so many questions.

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
I always get 9-12 hours SOT on stock Xiaomi ROM. I would hope custom ROM improve this since phone has huge battery
Already working on that. Because of this I also delayed the lineage update.
😅Normally the battery live is a lot better.

When everything works as planned I can release the update tomorrow, also for lineage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaymaple

MinimalDroid

Jun 14, 2021
How to use magisk? I patched your twrp recovery, but after flashing it I stuck in fastboot mode. Is there another way to use it? I just need root for AdAway. I dont like the VPN mode.

HalArcane

Apr 23, 2019
Tokyo
thanks for your hard work guys

I currently unlocked the bootloader and I haven't install any single ROM yet, not installed TWRP yet. but I have some questions and I hope you can help me.

I'm split between this ROM and Lineage OS. According to what I read this one seems nice, I'm looking for something close to stock android. And this one is "Official" as opposed to the Lineage one, first, can you tell me what's the difference between official and unofficial?

And then, to me (my work specifically) it is imperative that I'm able to log in 2 google accounts inside the phone, and that I am able to use biometrics in apps ( a lot of ID for home office is done via the biometrics on my phone)

So I guess the question is. Which of these ROMS can offer multiple google accounts and biometrics for apps?

Finally, overall which one would you recommend, and why?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How r u doing mate? Feeling better?
    Yes feeling better but they still don't know why I loose weight.

The next update will come soon. But only updated with the security patch. The device trees are getting reworked
    Hello Developer of rom is taking a break and we are patiently waiting for anx camera port from another dev. In short - just have to wait
    Hi, this port is not working on los based roms. Already tried it
    Just installed, google pay let me add a card, so I am staying and not going back to MIUI! Cheers @alibei
    Ngl, I just thought that there would be a bit more customization like Havoc OS or RR. Nevertheless, please any idea how to get the stock cam please?
    Just havent found it, but PLEASE, is there always on display? The stock MIUI one was terrible. And I loved the one on RR
    I've been running lineage os on the latest build for almost a month now. How does this compare to cipher os?

Lineage os has been great but on my experience it has 3 main issues, at least in my device

1-sometimes it freezes completely. It could happen either every 4 or 5 days once, or sometimes 3 times in a day. It just freezes, the screen remains on and it becomes unresponsive, I have to reboot.

2- some of the working apps I use detect the phone has root and won't work, even tho I didn't root the phone, I just unlocked the bootloader and installed twrp.

3- under screen fingerprint is just not working right. I'm talking 5 straight attempts telling me that is not recognized. Only 1 out of 10 attempts will recognize the finger right away.

So, does cipher has the same short comings? More? Less?
    These bugs get fixed in the update after the one which comes tomorrow / day after tomorrow
    Thanks, those fixes will be in the lineage build as well?
    banner.png

CipherOS is a Android Custom OS, Based On AOSP & Fueled by Lineage, Striving to Provide its Users , A Clean , Bloat free & Sturdy Experience with Minimal Customisation !

Code:
    /* Your warranty is now void or maybe not?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

With the release of CipherOS CRYPTO , We Ensure that Every OFFICIAL Device remains Up-to-date with latest Patches , Asap its been released by Google !

Download it from here
    Only the GAPPS version comes with OTA

team.png
    The people working towards bringing you this release are:
    installation.png

Installing:

No need to flash fw
    2. (On some devices a full miui V12.1.5.0 flash was required (fastboot version))
    3. Download my TWRP here
    (This TWRP supports to take a backup of persist. I am not responsible if you loose RIL, WIFI, etc...
    if you break persist)
    4. Flash my TWRP or your ROM does not work
    5. Wipe Dalvik/Art Cache, Cache, System, Product and Vendor
    6. (Yes you have to wipe product. The old partition name was cust, but we use it now as product)
    7. Format data
    8. Reboot to recovery
    9. Download CipherOS and copy it to your device
    10. Flash CipherOS

For Magisk users:

Please boot CipherOS fully up
    2. Reboot to recovery
    3. Flash Magisk

Update the ROM:

Download the newest CipherOS version
    2. Copy it to your phone
    3. Flash CipherOS in the recovery
    4. Wipe dalvik
    5. Reboot

Update the ROM for Magisk users(if your device does not boot after the update):

Open the CipherOS zip
    2. Copy the boot.img from the zip to your phone
    3. Flash the boot.img in the recovery
    4. Flash Magisk
    5. Reboot

credits.png

We would like to thank the following ROMs, because if they weren't here, we couldn't be there too <3

New update is out. Now we are official.
    Official will be released in next few days
    How r u doing mate? Feeling better?
    Yes feeling better but they still don't know why I loose weight.

The next update will come soon. But only updated with the security patch. The device trees are getting reworked
    Great rom Alibei, thanks a lot!
    Only bug for me so far is microphone when on speaker phone. It sound like I'm under water according to the persons I talk to. Normal mic and Bluetooth mic works great.
    Do you think this is firmware, gapps or ROM related? Full disclosure: I use full nikgapps with tweaked nikgapps.config to enable Android Auto and Google backups during initial setup. Any chance this could be solved if I flash latest weekly Chinese firmware? 🤔
    No it's a problem on my side. I already working on this