[ROM][11][OnePlus8] PixelExperience [AOSP]

Search This thread

moreinternetplease

Nov 16, 2014
Can anyone tell me which Oneplus 8 variant to purchase? I'm in the US, but can't do T-mobile since I need the Dual SIM. I want to be able to flash this ROM easily, but still have the GSM bands necessary for calls/data in US. I'm not going to cry about not having 5G... Thanks so much!!

Can anyone tell me which Oneplus 8 variant to purchase? I'm in the US, but can't do T-mobile since I need the Dual SIM. I want to be able to flash this ROM easily, but still have the GSM bands necessary for calls/data in US. I'm not going to cry about not having 5G... Thanks so much!!
then buy the global one which is the glacial green

mvttzy

Dec 17, 2021
There is an unofficial build up, hopefully the maintainer can make it official so we can get ota but it's the closest to a fresh oneplus 8 pixelexperience 12 rom. This post includes a link if you're interested along with other cool roms that aren't on xda for the op8

Don't run 8pro/8t roms on your device though lol that doesn't really end up nicely...

raftomas88

Account currently disabled
Even the 8 Pro hasn't gotten much attention since that update.
Anyone want to try and install the 8 Pro version on their 8?
I've tried it before, the only problem which I had was, it pretty much made my phone OnePlus 8 pro on the deep firmware level, so I had to use msm tool and flash it to OnePlus 8, otherwise the phone was thinking it is OnePlus 8 pro for real and absolutely didn't want to install stock OnePlus 8 ROM anyway

Now about the experience itself: ROM works absolutely right, BUT you'll have a black hole on your screen on top left (for op8p camera I guess) and the fingerprint will not work bcz it'll be trying to scan a finger where op8p is supposed to, the camera didn't work absolutely at all, I also tried ROM of OnePlus 8t, it didn't have issues with fingerprint and ghost camera hole, but the camera wasn't working properly (unusable)

I would recommend you to use unofficial PE OP8 ROM, but I haven't tested it, most likely everything works as supposed (I'm pretty sure about it) but I didn't try it bcz, I heard that camera is terrible on custom roms and I couldn't find any proper instructions to install stock oxygenos camera on aosp, gcam kind of solves the problem BUT! From what I've heard it records video like a sh*t

So good luck

Reactions: thattechguy_69

Sir Killalot

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you for sharing @raftomas88 ! Clearly more trouble than it's worth.
I have been using GCam for video just fine btw, except slow motion, that's just less frames per second. So I use the OOS cam for that (and 48MP shots).

And like @mvttzy said, there's quite a few less known ROMs, just not on XDA.
The ROM that I've been using for a few weeks now since the official OOS12 was such a letdown, is Nameless.
It offers the Pixel Experience but also retains some additions from OOS. Great mix.

raftomas88

Account currently disabled
Thank you for sharing @raftomas88 ! Clearly more trouble than it's worth.
I have been using GCam for video just fine btw, except slow motion, that's just less frames per second. So I use the OOS cam for that (and 48MP shots).

And like @mvttzy said, there's quite a few less known ROMs, just not on XDA.
The ROM that I've been using for a few weeks now since the official OOS12 was such a letdown, is Nameless.
It offers the Pixel Experience but also retains some additions from OOS. Great mix.
So the stock camera is working properly there?

Btw u mentioned pixel experience, what do you exactly mean? Like most of pixel features? Does it include unlimited Google photo storage

And how is battery life/performance on it? (What kernel do you use?)

And what about the speakers, do they sound as well as on stock ROM?

Sir Killalot

Sep 15, 2007
So the stock camera is working properly there?

Btw u mentioned pixel experience, what do you exactly mean? Like most of pixel features? Does it include unlimited Google photo storage

And how is battery life/performance on it? (What kernel do you use?)

And what about the speakers, do they sound as well as on stock ROM?
- Stock camera: yes, except for the wide angle lens correction. If that is enabled in stock camera, the wide lens won't work, not even in GCam.
- PE: stock Android interface, Pixel launcher, while retaining the good OOS additions.
Yes, Pixel features but not all (screen attention is in there somewhere, but you can't enable it. I miss Flip to Shhh although that didn't work on OOS11 and we have a slider anyway)
It can spoof a Pixel XL for that for which you can opt out.
- Both great. Comparable to OOS11 I think, but haven't done exact tests. Think it uses a modified kernel, but don't know which one.
- Speakers: YES! Finally a custom ROM that has Dolby Atmos already included, with an equaliser, so no rooting/Magisk modules necessary. It also has Ambient sound from the Pixels.

It has a LOT of settings. It's PE, AOSP and OnePlus (separate section) mixed together.
For example: I use the included Lawnchair launcher as it looks and feels very similar and has double tap to sleep support. But you can also use double tap status bar or a navigation button for that.

It also has Optimized charging done right: no magic AI detection that just fails on me, but max charge level you can set and enable with a QS tile.

If it would also feature OOS ability to shutdown or at least boot for alarms, that would make it complete (edit: just sideloading the OOS clock app is not enough unfortunately, but at least I got the clock widget back :) ).

Last edited:
I've tried it before, the only problem which I had was, it pretty much made my phone OnePlus 8 pro on the deep firmware level, so I had to use msm tool and flash it to OnePlus 8, otherwise the phone was thinking it is OnePlus 8 pro for real and absolutely didn't want to install stock OnePlus 8 ROM anyway

Now about the experience itself: ROM works absolutely right, BUT you'll have a black hole on your screen on top left (for op8p camera I guess) and the fingerprint will not work bcz it'll be trying to scan a finger where op8p is supposed to, the camera didn't work absolutely at all, I also tried ROM of OnePlus 8t, it didn't have issues with fingerprint and ghost camera hole, but the camera wasn't working properly (unusable)

I would recommend you to use unofficial PE OP8 ROM, but I haven't tested it, most likely everything works as supposed (I'm pretty sure about it) but I didn't try it bcz, I heard that camera is terrible on custom roms and I couldn't find any proper instructions to install stock oxygenos camera on aosp, gcam kind of solves the problem BUT! From what I've heard it records video like a sh*t

So good luck
I've tried it Unofficial, its smooth and prob has the same experience as the official OnePlus 8 Pro version because it is maintained by the same developer, just not official.

Sir Killalot

Sep 15, 2007
@thattechguy_69 are you still running that version? If so, is ARCore working?
On Nameless ROM it's been preinstalled, but it indicates it's no longer compatible.

UPDATE: installed the July 8 update and all is compatible again :).
But after granting camera access, nothing happens :(
EDIT: Seems that older apps (2018) have this issue. The Google showcase app (2021) and another I found, Atom Visualiser (Dec 2019) do work.
On my Pixel 2 with PE12, this issue does not exist, but the battery drains crazy fast.

Last edited:

shinn82

Nov 26, 2014
Athens
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi A3
Hello there OP,

Just installed this rom and I am happy to report that everything went according to your plan. I cannot stress enough how much gratitude I am feeling towards you for this great rom and your thorough instructions.

Also OTA worked perfectly and sideloaded magisk and it appears everything is running smoothly...

Again many thanks you made the instructions so easy and in-depth that even I that have been away from the modding and custom rom scene for 5 years managed to perform this without a hitch on the first try! kudos!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for OnePlus8[instantnoodle]

What is this?
    PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    FM radio
    Fingerprint reader
    Face unlock
    NFC
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download from PixelExperience website

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Device Specified Telegram Group
    Our blog

How to install magisk on pixel experience rom?
    Get extracted boot.img and put into phone, open magisk and patch boot.img. Magisk outputs a patched boot.img in downloads. Transfer to pc where ADB lives, reboot to bootloader and enter fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img. Should flash to phone and Magisk has given root.
    N I C E

He can ask a mod to move the thread if this ROM is tested on both devices. If not it's better to keep it here.

And @chandra1.jd be careful using DevDB on xda, there will be some changes soon :
    https://www.xda-developers.com/big-changes-to-xda-forums-are-coming-soon/
    why does it have to be done that way thru adb? maybe twrp flashable to come because i doubt I'll try to install it that way. I'm excited by the prospect of the rom very much but I'll let a few guinea pigs go first and keep tabs on this. Is the lack of custom rom development because developers are waiting for android 11 or what? One of the main reasons I decided on OP8 was because i thought the forum would be very active and its been kinda disappointing thus far. Does anyone know when theres gonna be the official android 11 update not this open beta bull****? also when an official twrp recovery?
    First of all, it has to be flashed through Fastboot because TWRP for Android 10 isn't really finished yet, devs have a hard time finding ways to comply with Android 10 new system, that's why there are a lot of those Fastboot ROMs.
    Second of all, those "Guinea Pigs" are users that allows OP to release the official OOS build you're eager to have. You just wait for it to come and you call users who report bugs "Guinea Pigs"... Remember that those who install Open Betas are the ones that make this phone not a crappyy pile of bugs bad glitches, and represent the "active community" you're complaining of rn. Get off you high horse man...
    Finally, the "lack of development" is indeed partially because devs are waiting for Android 11, and it has always been like that for every newly released OP phone. Once they age a bit that's when the amazing community comes together to build, to TEST, and finally release ROMs.