• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [11] [TREBLE] [OFFICIAL] AncientROM-Society/Weaboo V5.6 for Nokia 8 [NB1]

Search This thread

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
[Bug reoort]
Although stock camera records audio without problem (at the same time, images and videos have a lot of noise), other camera apps record it buggy. For one or two seconds, it is noisy and after that, it almost mutes. It seems that phone orientation is involved in the process too.
Tested on Open Camera, Gcamera 7.3, 7.2 and 6.2 of different developers.
@marceldossantos91 @emufan4568
Please attach logs for said apps, we cannot do much without logs ;)

rashazad

Mar 3, 2011
Nokia 8
There is a new build which strangely is not introduced here yet after 13 hours of being up!
There is a problem in dirty flash @marceldossantos91.
After flashing updated ROM and recovery, and rebooting to the recovery, decryption fails. There is no way to flash new version except formating data after previous step flashing, which means not so dirty!
(I dont want to try to flash the ROM on active slot whitout being aware of exact consequences)

Last edited:

johndaog

Ancient os is fantastic, so far I'm loving it.
I am just wondering
I did install Weeabo and it has skins in the settings and stuff for Anime.
But no anime wallpapers on device?
Otherwise everything is working perfectly.
Lots of customizations!

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
There is a new build which strangely is not introduced here yet after 13 hours of being up!
There is a problem in dirty flash @marceldossantos91.
After flashing updated ROM and recovery, and rebooting to the recovery, decryption fails. There is no way to flash new version except formating data after previous step flashing, which means not so dirty!
(I dont want to try to flash the ROM on active slot whitout being aware of exact consequences)
Hi, we recently became aware of an issue with recovery that decryption is failing after OTAs with some users only, as its totally random its difficult to diagnose and only received reports of it recently. That being said you should always keep a backup handy in case something goes wrong.

That being said, apologies for the inconvenience, we're investigating it and hope to push an updated twrp soon.

As for ancient yes a new build came online and i haven't gotten around to announcing it yet now you know :D the newer build has some changes to sepolicies to address some denials

Reactions: rashazad

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
Ancient os is fantastic, so far I'm loving it.
I am just wondering
I did install Weeabo and it has skins in the settings and stuff for Anime.
But no anime wallpapers on device?
Otherwise everything is working perfectly.
Lots of customizations!
Apparently its mostly the headers and settings menu customizations, i believe they will add wallpapers soon too

Reactions: johndaog

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
So, if i am on CrDroid 7.8 and don't want to lose data, what would be my best guess, on how to switch?
im sorry but unfortunately you will have to clean flash.

my advice would be you can always use app backing tools, such as Titanium backup or alpha backup to make it a little less painful, and copy your files to pc and back when your done, the tree has undergone to many changes to consider a dirty flash from the old tree.

Reactions: Dave-Kay

docentore

Oct 4, 2007
Nokia 8
What is the BT aptX/LDAC issue? Are there any plans to get it fixed or is beyond dev interest?
I'd love to try the ROM but no HD bt codecs are deal breaker for me.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
What is the BT aptX/LDAC issue? Are there any plans to get it fixed or is beyond dev interest?
I'd love to try the ROM but no HD bt codecs are deal breaker for me.
We became aware of the issue through our users and have been trying to debug it but as none of us maintainers have APTX/LDAC BT earphones, its difficult for us to test and try fix up.

if you could send us logs when trying to play BT media with aptx that would be helpful

docentore

Oct 4, 2007
Nokia 8
We became aware of the issue through our users and have been trying to debug it but as none of us maintainers have APTX/LDAC BT earphones, its difficult for us to test and try fix up.

if you could send us logs when trying to play BT media with aptx that would be helpful
Ok, I might have some time in the evening to flash this rom and be happy to help. What logs would you need?

Dave-Kay

Feb 24, 2011
Düsseldorf
im sorry but unfortunately you will have to clean flash.

my advice would be you can always use app backing tools, such as Titanium backup or alpha backup to make it a little less painful, and copy your files to pc and back when your done, the tree has undergone to many changes to consider a dirty flash from the old tree.
OK, so i did that and the result is quite astonishing, thank you!
so, what are the plans with this? will there be OTA?

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
OK, so i did that and the result is quite astonishing, thank you!
so, what are the plans with this? will there be OTA?
Glad you happy with it :)

There will be regular updates as it is official, however it will likely slow down now with all focus being shifted towards A12. Right now there isnt much to update at the sources and just updating for very minor changes defeats the purpose of putting someone through an OTA.

I will soon attempt to build ancient A12 too once camera and BT gets fixed in the NB1 A12 tree

furblefox

Feb 2, 2008
Hi there, not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've run in to trouble with my Nokia 8 after it started acting up on the previous rom.

I updated TWRP, rebooted to recovery, flashed ancientOS to the inactive slot and then swapped to it, my phone booted fine and all was well. I then went to put the phone to recovery, swapped slot to flash the rom and now it's just completely stuck on this screen and won't budge. It won't recognise any keys except forcing it off and won't get off this screen, even after the battery is flat. Is my phone screwed?

Many Thanks!

PRFfx3h.jpg

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
@furblefox I think that is OK.
You need to install ancientos ROM in twrp and then install the recovery twrp again before restarting your device.
Get in touch on the telegram group. That's where support can help you.
Thank you for trying to assist.

@furblefox Hey there, i apologize for the delay XDA doesnt always notify me.

Yes the reason for flashing twrp after the ROM is the rom includes no recovery, so if you forget this step your ultimately stuck in a loop because there is no recovery so it hangs on the splash. I included this into my flash instructions.

there will soon be a fastboot img for these cases to recover, but if you have root you can also just flash twrp zip in smartpack to get recovery back

If any issues feel free to join our support group, if your still stuck let me know.

Last edited:

Neetscrewd

Nov 7, 2021
Help me, all of sensor is not working, is anybody know how to fix it ? I need proximity and gyroscope sensor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All roms have it on NB1 because it has no recovery, The step of flashing twrp again is important due to that fact.

PM me on telegram ill assist you to recover, @marceldossantos91

Dear All,

I’m posting here to thank @marceldossantos91 for his big effort to solve my issue. This man is overqualified genius expert. He knows exactly and precisely what he is doing. Big thanks to him and all the experts in this forum that help millions of people.

1636492007265.gif
    Actually, anything but.

I released first A12 alpha ancient version in our testing group today. All development has shifted to A12 ;) it will come soon, stay tuned, or feel free to join us on telegram through our testing versions.

I will publish on xda once we get BT fixed

@emufan4568 is also releasing a massive ddv update for our vendor, probably one of the biggest updates we seen to NB1 by far, his been working alot on A12 trees.

So no further updates to A11 as the changes are to minor to justify flashing
    Wow, hearing from you is beyond a sign to hope.
    I don't join to telegram group.
    If you ask me, if and only if camera audio and picture quality gets fixed, this is the best thing has ever happened to my phone since 2018.
    Patiently waiting.
    I'm working on a new update that updates the entire common blob stack from Android 10 DDV to the new Android 11 update for 7.2. The fact that the update was released so late is beneficial for us because it means that the blobs have a quite recent CAF tag (it's only 3 weeks old by this point). All the configs/dependencies and libs will be updated as well so this is a pretty major upgrade. For it to work I also built custom display/media/audio HALs specifically for our device which are based on pure CAF, and more specifically on AOSPA (https://github.com/AOSPA/android_hardware_qcom_display/tree/ruby-8998) because the new blobs are so up-to-date that we can't use the older LOS HALs.

A12 currently has issues with bluetooth, however I have suspicions as to what the fix might be. Aside from that A12 is very promising so far.

About camera quality, @rashazad, I haven't had any issues with the latest release of AncientOS 11 though. The camera takes pictures fine and I have been using GCAM just fine for the past few days during my trip abroad to take pictures of sights, etc. So unless you provide logs, specific description of the issue, when it happens and some test pictures to show me the loss of quality then I don't know if I can be of any help.
    ancient.png

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

AncientOS is Custom ROM based on AOSP that aims to provide a unique UI with some useful feautures for customization.

features.png

Here are the features which AncientOS provides.

Code:
    [LIST]
    [U][B]Ancient Stuff:[/B][/U]
    [•]Refined UI with several OneUI touches and an old vibe with intricate patterns in the Settings App.
    [•]Lots of status Bar mods.
    [•]Lots of new Status bar icons.
    [•]Lots of Headers Styles.
    [•]Lots of new Headers Clocks and Date Styles.

[U][B]STATUSBAR:[/B][/U]
    [•]Statusbar icons.
    [•]Traffic indicators.
    [•]4G Icon Instead of LTE.
    [•]VoLTE icon toggle.
    [•]Clock Customization.
    [•]Battery Customization.
    [•]Battery Bar.
    [•]Old mobile type indication.
    [•]Statusbar padding preferences.
    [•]Battery percentage while changing.

[U][B]Navigation Bar:[/B][/U]
    [•]Navbar invert layout.
    [•]Enable/Disable Navbar.

[U][B]QUICK SETTINGS:[/B][/U]
    [•]QS brightness slider position.
    [•]Battery percentage selection.
    [•]Auto brightness icon toggle.
    [•]Brightness control buttons.
    [•]Quick pulldown option.
    [•]Kill app button.
    [•]Vibrate on touch.
    [•]Blur behind QS.
    [•]QS panel Opacity.
    [•]Tint QS toggles.
    [•]Battery Customization.
    [•]QS Header.

[U][B]LOCKSCREEN:[/B][/U]
    [•]Lots of new Clocks
    [•]Lots of Fonts for Lock, Date and Owner Info.
    [•]Lots of new Date styles.
    [•]Charging info.
    [•]Fingerprint Authentication Vibration.
    [•]Unlock keystore with fingerprint after reboot.
    [•]Lockscreen Weather.
    [•]Lockscreen visualizer.
    [•]Lockscreen media art and Blur customization.
    [•]Disable Quick Settings panel on secure lockscreen.
    [•]Lockscreen charging animation.

[U][B]BUTTONS:[/B][/U]
    [•]H/W keys customization.
    [•]H/W buttons backlight customizations.
    [•]Power Light control.

[U][B]NOTIFICATIONS:[/B][/U]
    [•]Headsup Customizations.
    [•]Incall Vibrations.
    [•]Less boring Headsup.
    [•]Headsup snooze & timeout option.

[U][B]MISC:[/B][/U]
    [•]Three Finger Screenshot.
    [•]Wake on plug.

[U][B]Others:[/B][/U]
    [•]Doubletap or longpress power to toggle flashlight.
    [•]Vibrate in in-call settings.
    [•]RGB Accent picker.

[/LIST]

changelogs.png

Updated to ancient V5.6 sources
    Changed to selinux enforcing

downloads.png

ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ancientrom/files/NB1

Recovery: https://github.com/GPUCode/android_device_nokia_NB1-TWRP/releases/tag/v3.5.2

installation.png

Ensure that T-Virus is flashed and that you already have a working TWRP recovery working before proceeding with this build, do NOT attempt to flash this with TWRP while you are on stock ROM as it may hard brick your device, you have been warned!
    if you need assistance in flashing T-virus do not hesitate to join our telegram group.

Clean Flash:
    1. Take a full backup of both your data and internal storage as they will need to be wiped
    2. Download the ROM from above link
    3. Download TWRP recovery installer from above link
    4. flash the twrp recovery installer in TWRP and reboot to recovery, please do not use older TWRP versions.
    5. Flash the ROM zip in the TWRP provided and then flash recovery-installer.zip again.
    6. Reboot to recovery from the reboot menu in recovery
    7. Format Userdata from TWRP using the format data option
    8. Install Google apps [optional], and any other mods you wish to have
    9. reboot to system and enjoy!

Installing an OTA (Dirty flash):
    1. Download the updated ROM zip and take a full backup of internal storage, just in case.
    2. in TWRP flash the updated ROM zip and recovery-installer.zip then reboot to recovery
    3. Flash Gapps again if you had previously installed it
    4. Wipe dalvik cache
    5. Reboot to system and enjoy!

[known bugs list]
    - Offline charging animation does not work
    - Loudspeaker is loud and may create some echo in calls
    - Bluetooth APTX/LDAC is broken, but SBC works fine
    - night light sometimes does not work
    - sometimes decryption fails in TWRP for OTA and it requires data format (hopefully solved soon)

For support and bug reporting, please join our telegram group:
    credit.png

Me for building the rom and being a maintainer
    @emufan4568 for the NB1 vendor tree, official maintainer for AncientOS, atomix kernel and TWRP.
    @oaid for contribution to vendor tree and atomix kernel and countless hours of bug fixing
    @AncientOS team for the ROM
    @keneankit01 for the ancient sources and making it possible to build for the NB1
    @THMSP for T-virus
    all users in our telegram groups that helped us contribute and find bugs as well as sent us logs.

if i missed anyone in credits please let me know and ill add you to this list.

AOSP
    LineageOS
    SuperiorOS
    DotOS
    PixelExperience
    AospExtended
    Syberia OS
    Nitrogen OS
    Pixys OS
    ArrowOS
    MSM-Xtended
    HavocOS
    BootleggersROM
    ABC
    Rebellion
    Komodo
    Durex aka Corvus
    DerpFest
    Evolution-X
    OMNIROM
    AOSIP
    Liquid Remix
    Resurrection Remix
    Dirty Unicorns
    Bliss
    ExtendedUI
    AICP
    MoKee
    RevengeOS
    Yodita
    POSP
    ION
    crDroid
    GZOSP
    Colt-Enigma

sources.png

AncientOS Source
    Ancient-Device Sources

Telegram Group
    Telegram Channel

All roms have it on NB1 because it has no recovery, The step of flashing twrp again is important due to that fact.

PM me on telegram ill assist you to recover, @marceldossantos91

Dear All,

I’m posting here to thank @marceldossantos91 for his big effort to solve my issue. This man is overqualified genius expert. He knows exactly and precisely what he is doing. Big thanks to him and all the experts in this forum that help millions of people.

1636492007265.gif
    Yeah that's it...
    Thanks all you.
    By the way, people who like me don't know, weeabo and society versions meanings are:
    Society = Aosp look n feel
    Weaboo = Anime Look n feel based on Aosp Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Is twrp official @emufan4568?
    And what about separate kernel file since it is needed for rooting?

P.S.: at step, after flashing new recovery, data should be wiped so twrp can decrypt. otherwise names will be nonsense.
    Yes, society is the normal ancient version while weaboo is an anime skin mod, though the ROM has no differences otherwise.

the zip includes the kernel already. for root you need to flash magisk
    I'm sorry to say that I don't use telegram (or any other social stuff expect whatsapp). Though I can upload it somewhere suitable for you.
    Where are the logs stored exactly?
    Also the bug I faced earlier is that
    - Camera recorded videos are very low quality

P.S: unfortunately the phone stopped on "phone is starting" after modifications I made (all through ROM settings). Even safe mode didint solve the problem and I had to make a factory reset. So the logs are lost I suppose. I am gonna make it all over again and will provide logs whenever you wish. Hope to not face this problem again.
    No problem. Please upload the logs somewhere preferable to you then or can attach here.

You can take logs with root using matlog on the device (free from play store) or simply from adb on pc with: adb logcat > log.txt and then send through.

I will push an OTA soon in next few days, also please see if some are the issues are resolved then.

For camera try using gcam, the quality may be better.

To comment on some of the bugs you mentioned though:

- gallery go is included in ROM, and is the default gallery, if you flash stock gapps with photos it should not face this issue, otherwise just keep it enabled and hide it from your launcher
    - what about ancient launcher is buggy?
    - random reboots, when does it occur? I know some settings overlap and it does do that if it faces a systemUI crash but it should not otherwise do so.
    - how are theming options limited? They are pretty endless, if you talking actual themes not many roms have many, but you can fully customize them and their backgrounds, transparency, blurs, use monet engine etc.
    - some of the tile icons missing actions is unfortunately at the sources, not much i can really do about them.
    - auto brightness does not seem related, i dont believe any other users have reported this issue, may be device specific?
    I'm working on a new update that updates the entire common blob stack from Android 10 DDV to the new Android 11 update for 7.2. The fact that the update was released so late is beneficial for us because it means that the blobs have a quite recent CAF tag (it's only 3 weeks old by this point). All the configs/dependencies and libs will be updated as well so this is a pretty major upgrade. For it to work I also built custom display/media/audio HALs specifically for our device which are based on pure CAF, and more specifically on AOSPA (https://github.com/AOSPA/android_hardware_qcom_display/tree/ruby-8998) because the new blobs are so up-to-date that we can't use the older LOS HALs.

A12 currently has issues with bluetooth, however I have suspicions as to what the fix might be. Aside from that A12 is very promising so far.

About camera quality, @rashazad, I haven't had any issues with the latest release of AncientOS 11 though. The camera takes pictures fine and I have been using GCAM just fine for the past few days during my trip abroad to take pictures of sights, etc. So unless you provide logs, specific description of the issue, when it happens and some test pictures to show me the loss of quality then I don't know if I can be of any help.