• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11][TREBLE][UNOFFICIAL] crDroid v7.8 for the Nokia 8

Search This thread

emufan4568

Jun 19, 2020
Any news about updates?
The device tree is currently being rewritten. I started the rewrite last month and it currently is 90% complete. This will make the ROM faster and more bug-free. The new tree includes, for example, support for Bluetooth calls and aptX audio over Bluetooth, FM radio and the choppy video bug is fixed too. Also, I finally fixed my device so development can continue at a normal pace (1 or 2 builds every month, instead of the current 1 build every 2 months, developing without a working device was a lot harder).

I'm also rewriting T-Virus as a script to remove the dependency on NOST, make it cross-platform and safer/quicker to install.

Last edited:

itsmemario

Apr 6, 2013
Im back after a long vacation, but I still have my Nokia 8.

Interesting times (threads) and I guess this ROM will be my choice, now that I read its beeing rewritten.

Looking back at 2013 and my random flashes beeing done years ago, I feel like beeing a noob again. :)

T-Virus, Treble, OrangeFox, NOST...ooof....IM ready to brick (again)! ;D

yukixoma

Jul 7, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nokia 8
The device tree is currently being rewritten. I started the rewrite last month and it currently is 90% complete. This will make the ROM faster and more bug-free. The new tree includes, for example, support for Bluetooth calls and aptX audio over Bluetooth, FM radio and the choppy video bug is fixed too. Also, I finally fixed my device so development can continue at a normal pace (1 or 2 builds every month, instead of the current 1 build every 2 months, developing without a working device was a lot harder).

I'm also rewriting T-Virus as a script to remove the dependency on NOST, make it cross-platform and safer/quicker to install.
Is there any fixed for battery drain issue?

emufan4568

Jun 19, 2020
Is there any fixed for battery drain issue?
The new rewrite has many power-saving features implemented (properly this time). Atomix (the built-in kernel) has also been fixed to not get stuck on higher frequencies. Generally, the battery life is a lot better than before (some alphas reported 0.7%/h idle drain which is pretty good). But it needs more testing though to confirm.

rashazad

Mar 3, 2011
Nokia 8
Redmi Note 8
The new rewrite has many power-saving features implemented (properly this time). Atomix (the built-in kernel) has also been fixed to not get stuck on higher frequencies. Generally, the battery life is a lot better than before (some alphas reported 0.7%/h idle drain which is pretty good). But it needs more testing though to confirm.
Actually the idle battery drain was pretty good in last release. High drain was for working time, which caused the phone temperature to raise significantly.

techno_man000

Jan 12, 2018
@emufan4568 I am sure you will make it... Thanks to your effort, this phone has taken a breath. Your build is good, okay but in some aspects, it needs some effort over it. For example, mic quality doesn't seem okay, it is not clear on callings. I hope you will make it done.

emufan4568

Jun 19, 2020
@emufan4568 I am sure you will make it... Thanks to your effort, this phone has taken a breath. Your build is good, okay but in some aspects, it needs some effort over it. For example, mic quality doesn't seem okay, it is not clear on callings. I hope you will make it done.
Audio is a big part of the rewrite. I have a dedicated tester now just to test audio cases. A lot of audio bugs in the previous tree have been fixed. Audio though will never be 100% perfect because Nokia screwed over the audio HAL. But it's getting pretty close.

m9957m

Dec 4, 2020
Nextbit Robin
Nokia 5
Have anyone had adb debug mode problem?!
‧ The MTP mode is working, and the file transfer is working correctly.
‧ The adb debug mode fails and does not work.
">adb devices" (Floating "Allow usb debugging" notification does not appear)
--> * daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
(devices is blank)
‧ Manually reboot to downloader mode, fastboot mode can work correctly.
">fastboot devices" can display the device ID normally.
‧ After the T-virus is installed, the adb debug mode will work, you can ">adb devices"&"adb reboot downloader"&...
‧ But after installing crDroid_v7.8 / OrangeFOX or Ultra recovery / Nikgapps_basic and restarting, the adb debug mode fails and cannot work

Aron1000

Sep 8, 2021
Hi, im gratefull for your work at this rom. Thank you, i still have this Nokia 8.
I have installed the newest Version 7.8 since it came out.
So i read close to all bugs mencioned here in this thread.
I found some strange behavours:
1- Using Telegram and making a photo, freezes the app. Also after 5-10 minutes Video conferences.
2- Sometimes Screen Rotation does not work. The only workaround was restart mobile.
3- Screen Auto Brightnes resets automatically: adjust bar (little sun) goes to minimum and i have never settet it like this. At the stock ROM it rememberet my Day-Setting and Night-Setting.
4- Youtube videos in default Webbrowser are Green. In youtube App all is right.

Reactions: ferramenta

emufan4568

Jun 19, 2020
Hi, im gratefull for your work at this rom. Thank you, i still have this Nokia 8.
I have installed the newest Version 7.8 since it came out.
So i read close to all bugs mencioned here in this thread.
I found some strange behavours:
1- Using Telegram and making a photo, freezes the app. Also after 5-10 minutes Video conferences.
2- Sometimes Screen Rotation does not work. The only workaround was restart mobile.
3- Screen Auto Brightnes resets automatically: adjust bar (little sun) goes to minimum and i have never settet it like this. At the stock ROM it rememberet my Day-Setting and Night-Setting.
4- Youtube videos in default Webbrowser are Green. In youtube App all is right.
I'm aware of most of those bugs. The current tree has many problems because when I started writing it I didn't have any experience and it was messy. Since then all released were just pilling features on top of that broken base. The new rewrite has just entered beta testing and should come out this month. It should fix all of the above issues.

Reactions: ferramenta

CitizenZer0

Sep 7, 2021
Looking forward to the newest update!
It's nice to see that this phone is getting some love from the community after Nokia abandoning it.
Many thanks for your dedication!

Aron1000

Sep 8, 2021
My Nokia 8 is on stock OS but I'm thinking on trying crDroid on the next release.
Since I bought the phone, I haven't been able to calibrate the compass. So, I would like to know if it was fixed.

Many thanks!
I had no issues with compass with my Nokia 8. Neither stock nor with the actual cdroid.
So i dont know if it will fix your problem. But maybe its worth to try the new release.

Reactions: CitizenZer0

CitizenZer0

Sep 7, 2021
I had no issues with compass with my Nokia 8. Neither stock nor with the actual cdroid.
So i dont know if it will fix your problem. But maybe its worth to try the new release.
Well, I'm experiencing exactly what was posted on the Nokia forums.

It's a very weird bug. Hopefully it was fixed in the meantime.

ferramenta

Oct 17, 2014
Well, I'm experiencing exactly what was posted on the Nokia forums.

It's a very weird bug. Hopefully it was fixed in the meantime.
Hello. I did not have exactly your problem. But terrible GPS and compass functionality overall. My Waze and gmaps was running very faulty for about a year and by the end not at all. What fixed it for me finally was installing a full version of the latest Gapps. Not those smaller versions like Pico or nano. But the full one that is around 700mb. I m not any kind of expert but I don't think you can install the latest Gapps without a recent ROM like this one.

Hoccane

Jan 31, 2021
Hello developer, I'm also facing compass calibration issues in Nokia 8 on Stock Rom since Pie update, even downgrading to Oreo didn't fix the issue, hopefully your custom ROM will fix it.
Will never buy any Nokia phone in future!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you all know crDroid updates have been put on hold for the few months. That was for a good reason though as the device tree was being rewritten. Now that the work has been finished, we bring you some good news; our first official AncientOS build for the NB1.

This ROM will replace crDroid and is insanely feature packed.
    • The build will be official, going forward OTAs should be possible and regularly updated.
    • The ROM is SElinux enforcing and encrypted, which means now everything should pass safety checks.
    • Power effieciency has been massively improved (0.7%/h idle, 9 hours SOT achievable)
    And before you wonder about OrangeFox, it will be dropped as TWRP works better with decryption, only way to get enforcing working for now, and is easier to maintain. Also TWRP will become official in the near future. Moving from crDroid to AncientOS will require formatting data but that is a small one-time price to pay for monthly OTA updates, isn't it?

Also going forward umbrella-mod will be deprecated in favor of atomix. Most of it's features will be incorporated into atomix including performance improvements. The XDA thread will come shortly (probably tomorrow or the day after tomorrow after a test run has been completed). Thanks for your patience.
    Is there a new build?
    There have been some very interesting developments that I will post about today. So stay tuned.
    Can I ask, when would we have a new ROM?
    I honestly don't know since I'm also applying for official TWRP at the same time and we are waiting for that before launching the ROM. If it takes any longer though we will release it. Expect it at most in 4-5 days.
    As you all know crDroid updates have been put on hold for the few months. That was for a good reason though as the device tree was being rewritten. Now that the work has been finished, we bring you some good news; our first official AncientOS build for the NB1.

• The build will be official, going forward OTAs should be possible and regularly updated.
    • The ROM is SElinux enforcing and encrypted, which means now everything should pass safety checks.
    • Power effieciency has been massively improved (0.7%/h idle, 9 hours SOT achievable)
    And before you wonder about OrangeFox, it will be dropped as TWRP works better with decryption, only way to get enforcing working for now, and is easier to maintain. Also TWRP will become official in the near future. Moving from crDroid to AncientOS will require formatting data but that is a small one-time price to pay for monthly OTA updates, isn't it?

Also going forward umbrella-mod will be deprecated in favor of atomix. Most of it's features will be incorporated into atomix including performance improvements. The XDA thread will come shortly (probably tomorrow or the day after tomorrow after a test run has been completed). Thanks for your patience.
    Thanks a lot for your work!

I don't understand much about custom roms.
    How much different is it from LineageOS and crDroid? Is it based on either or is it's own thing?

Many thanks!

Great effort put on the project. Awesome.
    I need to mention that for recovery, every release of the rom requires its own recovery since the relevent kernel is included in the recovery flash file. We did not have recovery updated for new releases and that made, for example, magisk rooting out of sync (regarding kernel).
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Working features:
    • It boots
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • Navigation keys
    • Fingerprint
    • Camera
    • Headphones
    • Ringtones
    • Bluetooth audio
    • Selinux enforcing
    • NFC
    • 4K video
    • Hotspot
    Known issues:
    • You tell me

Flashing Instructions

Pre-installation

First time installation
    • Backup your device data to a PC or OTG flash drive.
    • Flash T-Virus with NOST and reboot to recovery.
    • Download and copy crDroid and TWRP zip to the Internal Storage and flash them in that order.
    • Format userdata and reboot to recovery to swich to the updated slot.
    • Flash NikGapps and wipe the Dalvik Cache (or else the system will not boot).
    • Reboot to system and enjoy.

Installing from previous release
    • Backup your data to PC, OTG flash drive.
    • Reboot to recovery, copy crDroid and TWRP zip to the Internal Storage and flash them in that order.
    • Reboot to recovery to swich to the updated slot and flash Gapps.
    • Reboot to system

Troubleshooting
    When flashing the ROM in TWRP, it fails at Step 2

To fix this, flash any TWRP >= v2.4 which contains a fix for slot switching

After flashing TWRP v2.x the folders have weird names and I cannot copy stuff to the internal storage
    You forgot the format userdata before rebooting.
    The GSI in T-Virus is A10 and uses software encryption. My TWRP builds use hardware based decryption blobs which
    are incompatible with software encrypted userdata. My ROM uses hardware encryption so that is not a problem.
    But when you do not format data and install TWRP v2.x then it cannot decrypt the userdata created by A10 GSI.
    So always format data before installing TWRP v2.x releases

Sources
    ROM: https://github.com/GPUCode/OTA/releases/
    Device tree: https://github.com/GPUCode/android_device_nokia_nb1
    Common tree: https://github.com/GPUCode/android_device_nokia_msm8998-common
    Vendor tree: https://github.com/GPUCode/proprietery_vendor_nokia
    Kernel: https://github.com/GPUCode/android_kernel_nokia_msm8998

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid Community Telegram

Contributors
    THMSP, OneWayGamer, oaid
    Source Code: https://github.com/crdroidandroid

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2020-11-26
    Last Updated 2021-05-31
    It's Project Sakura :) If I manage to build it properly, then I will most probably update crDroid too with the updated device tree.

New release is up! Download from here: Release crDroid v7.2.1 · GPUCode/OTA (github.com)
    * Initial crDroid 7.2 Unofficial Build
    * Merged January 2021 security update
    * Performance and stability improvements
    * Improved battery drain
    * Fixed internal audio recording
    New crDroid build! Download from here: https://github.com/GPUCode/OTA/releases/tag/v7.6
    New features include:
    • Upstream changes from crDroid
    • May 2021 security patch
    • Prebuilt camera stack with OIS and mono sensor support
    • Prebuilt audio stack for better audio clarity
    • Freeform windows support
    • ThinLTO link time optimization enabled
    • Fixed WiFi speed with new kernel
    • New OpenGL/Vulkan blobs from Pixel 2
    • Working NFC
    • New perf blobs from Pixel 2 + Google pixel perf HAL
    • Vulkan UI rendering
    • Fixed sensor crashing on random reboots
    • Faster GPS TTFF
    • New AIDL vibration HAL customizable from userspace
    • New custom A11 CAF tag based kernel compiled with clang 12.0
    • Vendor ready for GSIs, you can use any GSI you want including Android 12!
    • Fixed MTP issues
    • Added support for F2FS userdata
    • Included GcamGO, GalleryGO and Vanced Manager
    • Performance optimizations
    • More power saving features
    • Unspecialized app process pool for faster app launching
    • EAS (Energy Aware Scheduling) support in ROM and kernel
    • Added back AOD (Always On Display)