• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][11.x][UNOFFICIAL][GApps][OTA] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy J5 (2015) (j5nlte, j5lte, j5ltechn, j53gxx) [2021-10-08]

Search This thread

mzubairtariq

Sep 16, 2018
Lahore
A new update is out, I've enabled ZRAM, this means 1GB extra of virtual memory that improves system stability and performance.

As usually the update is available via OTA or using the download links below

Additional notes for this release:
Magisk seems to break the OS, avoid to use root with this release
Dear David, first of all i want to say thanks to you for your hardworking. I know keeping a 5-year-old device with regular updates is not an effortless task. I am so much grateful to you for that. I just want to say that I use banking apps daily and in your rom, I couldn't use any banking apps as all apps say that "your mobile is rooted" I used magisk hide in previous builds but now that you have said magisk seems to break the OS, I cannot use my banking apps anymore. Kindly if you could adjust the rom so that I can use banking apps without magisk then this will be a huge favor.

Thanks again for keeping our 5-year-old J5 alive.

daviiid99

Apr 1, 2021
Dear David, first of all i want to say thanks to you for your hardworking. I know keeping a 5-year-old device with regular updates is not an effortless task. I am so much grateful to you for that. I just want to say that I use banking apps daily and in your rom, I couldn't use any banking apps as all apps say that "your mobile is rooted" I used magisk hide in previous builds but now that you have said magisk seems to break the OS, I cannot use my banking apps anymore. Kindly if you could adjust the rom so that I can use banking apps without magisk then this will be a huge favor.

Thanks again for keeping our 5-year-old J5 alive.
Magisk hide is discontinued, I'll look how to bypass this in my free time

daviiid99

Apr 1, 2021

Jeremito1

Apr 9, 2020
Venezuela
Hi dev, this ROM is great and I can use it as a daily driver .... but I can ask you if you can also release a VANILLA version please? (Without Gapps) That would make it even faster and with more storage ...
Anyway, thanks for all your work and effort on this old device.

Reactions: daviiid99

daviiid99

Apr 1, 2021
Hi dev, this ROM is great and I can use it as a daily driver .... but I can ask you if you can also release a VANILLA version please? (Without Gapps) That would make it even faster and with more storage ...
Anyway, thanks for all your work and effort on this old device.
Removing the GApps will not make it faster, the rom is debloated and the Google Apps inside are just replacements of LineageOS parts.

I agree with the storage, but with zram enabled the performance is enough for most users :)

kay16

Dec 16, 2018
Magisk hide is discontinued, I'll look how to bypass this in my free time
Hi David i installed all your updates before but it was not up to the point to use as a daily driver but this new update is really fast & smooth i highly appriciate your hard work & time you put in to dev the rom. only issue is banking apps detect it as a rooted rom and i couldnt use any of them. can u pls give us a solution for that? Thanks again for your dedication towards low end phone users like us..

daviiid99

Apr 1, 2021
Hi David i installed all your updates before but it was not up to the point to use as a daily driver but this new update is really fast & smooth i highly appriciate your hard work & time you put in to dev the rom. only issue is banking apps detect it as a rooted rom and i couldnt use any of them. can u pls give us a solution for that? Thanks again for your dedication towards low end phone users like us..
I'm working on it, thanks for testing

Reactions: Johny_Mango

daviiid99

Apr 1, 2021
A new update is out, read the changelog carefully before flashing it.

If you face a bootloop after flashing it, you may need to perform a clean installation

SELinux enforcing is applying, this means your device is protected and limits access to software execution.
Some sepolicy denials still need to be addressed but this will be in the next update. I need to release this version for testing purpose and reporting bugs.

2021-09-27:

Changelog:

Set SELinux enforcing
Address sepolicy denials
Fix Magisk boot

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
j5lte ROM/recovery
j5ltechn ROM/recovery
j53gxx ROM/recovery

hodhodtn

Jul 13, 2020
I wanted to write a comment to give some feedback that could be useful to the developer and the other users.

Background : Owning a Samsung J500H for almost 6 years now. I've used the stock ROM for 5 whole years until I couldn't use it anymore because of storage issues. I started using LineageOS 17.1 a year ago. It solved the storage issue and added a lot of features that I enjoyed (Dark mode, night mode etc...). It wasn't the smoothest experience but it was okay-ish. Let's say that I've got used to some of its bugs and lags. I also have to pinpoint that I was using some heavy apps like Google, Google assistant, Truecaller and Assistive touch that didn't help with the phone's speed.

Feedback : I've seen this new thread few days ago and I noticed that the DEV seems to be pretty engaged with the project (fast releases and fixes). That's why I decided to jump on the train and give LineageOS 18.1 a shot. A BIG THANK YOU TO "daviiid99" by the way ! After 2 days of using the rom with the same apps I used to use with LineageOS 17.1, the phone was obnoxiously slow and almost unusable. It was so slow that the phone couldn't wake up fast enough when receiving a phone call which made me miss few calls (nothing important though lol). That's why I decided to get rid of the Google app and the Google Assistant (I only used them for the weather forecast and to read some useless news). Now, the phone seems to run smoothly even though Truecaller is still a bit annoying despite it not being my main phone app (I use it to identify unknown phone numbers). As I said, without the Google app (and the assistant) the phone is really good with all features running. That's why I wouldn't recommend other users to download the Google app.

The only 2 minor issues I seem to have are : the battery usage seems to have increased compared to LineageOS 17.1 and everytime I reboot my phone some icons disappear from the homescreen. Which is curious, it's usually the apps that were moved to my SD card that tend to disappear from my homescreen.

This was my experience with LineageOS 18.1 for few days. Thank you Mr daviiid99 again and keep going ! I hope it provides some useful information to the DEV and the other users. Have a nice day.

Edit : I still didn't install the build that was released today.

Reactions: mzubairtariq

Top Liked Posts

I've found a huge issue on my galaxy j5 (J500F - j5lte) which is, mobile network is disabled and it's showing no sim card.
    No offense but you should have read the thread before posting the already mentioned bug which the dev already knows about and trying to fix it.
    when comes that update can you inform me ?

and you have any tele channel ?
    Next update today or tomorrow with october security patch
    New update is available, permissive builds are now discontinued.
    Bluetooth is working normally with enforcing, this means no more critical bugs remaining and the ROM status is stable now.

As always, for minor bugs you can catch a logcat and report it
    2021-10-04:

Changelog:

Addressed remaining FM & bluetooth denials
    Fixed Bluetooth support (pair, audio input/output,...) with SELinux enforcing

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery
    A new update is out, read the changelog carefully before flashing it.

If you face a bootloop after flashing it, you may need to perform a clean installation

SELinux enforcing is applying, this means your device is protected and limits access to software execution.
    Some sepolicy denials still need to be addressed but this will be in the next update. I need to release this version for testing purpose and reporting bugs.

2021-09-27:

Changelog:

Set SELinux enforcing
    Address sepolicy denials
    Fix Magisk boot

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery
    Malheureusement je ne peux pas installer d'application "logcat" car comme il n'installe pas le compte, il bloque le play store.
    Under windows:
    Install Samsung device drivers and then
    the ADB utils from here:

Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
    and from cmd paste this command:

adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt

then try to reproduce the bug.

* The logcat file will be on your desktop.
    I've found a huge issue on my galaxy j5 (J500F - j5lte) which is, mobile network is disabled and it's showing no sim card.
    No offense but you should have read the thread before posting the already mentioned bug which the dev already knows about and trying to fix it.
    when comes that update can you inform me ?

and you have any tele channel ?
    Next update today or tomorrow with october security patch
    68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d656469612e6f72672f77696b6970656469612f636f6d6d6f6e732f7468756d622f622f62322f4c696e656167655f4f535f6c6f676f2e7376672f3235363070782d4c696e656167655f4f535f6c6f676f2e7376672e706e67

LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy J5 (2015)

UNOFFICIAL Android 11 builds for all the j5 phones with GApps support.
    The aim is to provide montly updates with security patches for a long time.

What's working:

Wi-Fi (WPA3)
    RIL (includes mobile-data, calls,...)
    Bluetooth (includes audio input)
    Sensors (proximity & accelerometer)
    GPS
    NFC
    DRM (ClearKey 1.3)
    Widevine (v15.0.0) (L3)
    Camera (Photos, video recording)
    Torch
    Screen ( Touch, Rotation, LiveDisplay)
    FM Radio
    Miracast

Bugs:

hotspot
    You tell me :)

( If you wanna report a bug, please, catch a logcat first with the error, then describe how to reproduce it and your phone model & rom version.
    e.g. "adb logcat -d -b main -b system -b events -v time > logcat.txt"
    or use an Android app)

Update history

2021-10-08:

Changelog:

AOSP Security Patch Level of 2021-10-01
    Addressed FM denials
    Bring back LineageOS messages app

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-10-04:

Changelog:

Addressed remaining FM & bluetooth denials
    Fixed Bluetooth support (pair, audio input/output,...) with SELinux enforcing

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-10-01:

Changelog:

Address more SELinux denials
    Restored SIM functionality (Calls, SIM Card access, Mobile Data,...)
    Fixed Widevine L3 support

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-27:

Changelog:

Set SELinux enforcing
    Address sepolicy denials
    Fix Magisk boot

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-24:

Changelog:

Address sepolicy denials
    Fix reboot from the main OS, this means no double-reboot before reaching LineageOS system

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-23:

Changelog:

Enabled ZRAM and set to 1G
    Improved performance

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-19:

Changelog:

Removed the internal notification error introduced in the last update.
    Debloated the ROM, all the LineageOS parts are now replaced by GApps.
    Android GO configuration and memory optimizations, helps to free RAM memory.

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-18:

Changelog:

Sync LineageOS Sources.
    Removed Snap Camera in favour of Google Camera Go (video recording functionality is back).
    Lawnchair launcher inclusion, you can choose between Trebuchet & Lawnchair now.
    LineageOS Updater Shortcut in drawer.
    Moved proprietary apps (Gcam, Updater, Lawnchair,...) to vendor.
    Replaced LineageOS default apps with GApps.
    Changed default wallpaper with AOSP 12.1 one.
    Enabled AOD & add Burn-in protection for AMOLED displays.
    Enabled turn on display on USB plug.
    Everytime you boot into the OS, you'll get the following notification:
    "There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details", it's not even an error message, just a System alert because our vendor is custom now.

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-15:

Changelog:

Fixed a minor bug on LineageOS bootanimation, at the end it was a bit laggy on previous build
    Updated Drivers for Adreno 306, we're now using the last drivers for 3xx series. In my testing there's a bit of extra performance playing videos or scrolling
    Fixed take photos with camera

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-13:

Changelog:

Fixed RIL, this includes working calls, mobile data,...
    Minor fixes

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-10:

Changelog:

AOSP Security Patch level of 2021-09-05
    Fixed an issue with OTA updates, next updates will be available for all the devices
    Adressed an issue with camera crashing while recording video, seems to be working fine now
    Fixed sensors, accelerometer and proximity are working now
    Fixed screen rotation

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-09-08:

Changelog:

-Fixed bluetooth audio, in the last build the sound is reproduced by the main speaker
    -Fixed all DRM issues, this includes lags in Chrome, Clearkey is now set to 1.3 version despite some apps could detect it as 1.2
    -Fixed Widevine, it's still working in our device, our level is L3 now
    -OTA support, this is for all the J5 devices (j5nlte, j5lte, j5ltechn, j53gxx)

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

2021-08-30:

Changelog:

Sync latest LineageOS sources
    AOSP Security Patch Level of 2021-08-05
    Merged mostly all patches from @jenslody Bliss Rom to LineageOS

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery

Device is not Certified by Google?

Follow XDA-guide

Credits:

@jenslody for his work with this device
    @SamsungMSM8916Devices on github, for the sources

XDADevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the Galaxy J5 (2015)

Source Code:

Manifest
    Kernel/Device/... Sources

ROM OS Version: 11.x
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10
    ROM Firmware Required: marshmallow

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2021-08-31
    Last Updated 2021-10-08

Day #2 of using this rom, and I found some another problems:
    - If I want to record something with camera and I press record button on any camera app (LineageOS default camera or Open Camera by Mark Harman) it crashes after one second (no idea why). Both camera apps can take and save photos fine, but as I said there's a problem with video recording.

Btw I want to mention that I don't use any social media apps (for example Instagram, TikTok or other) on which you can record a video, so I don't know if recording on these kind of apps works properly. Also, I rarely use selfie/rear camera on chatting apps like Discord/Skype/MS Teams, but I could test it out in the coming days. (right now it's 01:28 AM while writing this comment)

(my LOS version at the time of writing this comment: 18.1-20210830-UNOFFICIAL-j5nlte )
    I think I know why the camera crashes, mediaserver crashes, taking the camera down with it I also found that proximity does not work
    Thanks for the reports but this build is old and I fixed lots of these issues at this point. I'll release it asap.
    A new update is out, this time with memory optimizations.
    Includes Android GO config but not limited to it, in my testing memory usage drops to 50% with the current configurations.

2021-09-19:

Changelog:

Removed the internal notification error introduced in the last update.
    Debloated the ROM, all the LineageOS parts are now replaced by GApps.
    Android GO configuration and memory optimizations, helps to free RAM memory.

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery
    A brand new update is out, this time addressing bugs from previous releases.
    As always, OTA/download links are updated

2021-09-24:

Changelog:

Address sepolicy denials
    Fix reboot from the main OS, this means no double-reboot before reaching LineageOS system

Downloads:

j5nlte ROM/recovery
    j5lte ROM/recovery
    j5ltechn ROM/recovery
    j53gxx ROM/recovery