[ROM][12.0][Unofficial] LineageOS 19.1 for OnePlus 3/3T

Search This thread

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
Now people will disregard kernel but your still gonna need a kernel bump. the longer the tech debt isnt paid the less usable phone you will get. Your will be stuck on the same problem next year when 14 is released. There is no official treble, mainline or GKI to help.

Reactions: lapirado

Adam Hui

May 30, 2012
Jakarta
Xiaomi Poco F3
I've been busy creating a drivers section on my website: https://www.firstever.eu/drivers
Sorry if OOT. Please do u have an APU AMD Radeon R6 compatible drivers?
I've already tested all around drivers on AMD & Lenovo sites for my laptop Lenovo Z40-75 which APU Radeon R6 inside but no luck, still blue screen issue often. Maybe this a wide issue. Hope u csn help.

FirstEver

Jul 18, 2013
London
www.firstever.eu
Sorry if OOT. Please do u have an APU AMD Radeon R6 compatible drivers?
I've already tested all around drivers on AMD & Lenovo sites for my laptop Lenovo Z40-75 which APU Radeon R6 inside but no luck, still blue screen issue often. Maybe this a wide issue. Hope u csn help.

I think you can try to install this (legacy) AMD driver from 2022: DRIVER
Also read this article about A10-7300 APU: LINK

Reactions: Adam Hui

Chol

Sep 20, 2010
Linux 6.2 Expands Support For More Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs, Apple M1 Pro/Ultra/Max
- As part of expanding the the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC support, several new devices using these SoCs have been upstreamed. Among the new support is for the Sony Xperia 10 IV / 5 IV / X / X Compact, OnePlus One, OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, OnePlus Nord N100, Xiaomi Mi6, Huawei Watch, and the Google Pixel 3a.
Looks like the upcoming Linux 6.2 will facilitate newer Android versions...

dextructor

Aug 21, 2007
Linux 6.2 Expands Support For More Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs, Apple M1 Pro/Ultra/Max

Looks like the upcoming Linux 6.2 will facilitate newer Android versions...
I'm really confused right now, and I would appreciate some knowledge from developers and more experienced users.

From my limited understanding, smartphones in general aren't like computers in the way that can freely boot any Operating System like Linux, Windows or others because of the bootloader, chain etc.

What was "holding" the (un)official porting of newer versions of Android (12 and up) to our loved OP3(T) was the kernel older than 4.x.

Now with this news of the kernel 6.2 being added support, what exactly can be done? Because I never heard of any Android with such newer kernel (even 5.x). Does any version of Linux will get any support/improvement?

Because I'm wondering the practical things that can be done regarding this piece of news.

Thanks anyone.

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
I'm really confused right now, and I would appreciate some knowledge from developers and more experienced users.

From my limited understanding, smartphones in general aren't like computers in the way that can freely boot any Operating System like Linux, Windows or others because of the bootloader, chain etc.

What was "holding" the (un)official porting of newer versions of Android (12 and up) to our loved OP3(T) was the kernel older than 4.x.

Now with this news of the kernel 6.2 being added support, what exactly can be done? Because I never heard of any Android with such newer kernel (even 5.x). Does any version of Linux will get any support/improvement?

Because I'm wondering the practical things that can be done regarding this piece of news.

Thanks anyone.
Its still complicated. Mainline support now makes UBport support stay longer. But I wonder if newer Oneplus post news will get the same support.

Reactions: dextructor

Thanks anyone.
It is probably no issue to boot a new kernel.
There are ongoing projects to port mainline kernel (4.9) to a historical Samsung Galaxy S3 (or to be precise all exynos 4412 powered devices) but what´s holding it back as usual are the hardware drivers (blobs) that have been written for a specific android version and kernel target and are closed source binaries.
So you have to make changes to your kernel and ROM source code in order to support older drivers.
So it´s not only the kernel who affects this, but also the OS itself has changes for how to talk to the hardware.
So the only way would be to "hack" the drivers to get them running or write your own drivers.
In case of exynos 4412 mainline, the drivers have been rewritten, but most things still don´t work at all and the functional stuff is buggy, laggy and unreliable

At least that´s what i understood.
If i´m wrong, someone please correct me.

Reactions: dextructor

dextructor

Aug 21, 2007
but what´s holding it back as usual are the hardware drivers (blobs) that have been written for a specific android version and kernel target and are closed source binaries.
That's always a bummer in whatever project. I'm beginning my path in the Linux Journey to my computers, so the history of closed source and reverse engineering on the drivers part took some time.

Going back to Android, I don't know what to say, because I would hope that in 2022 we as a community could be in a better place of security and longevity to our hardware+software and not be as dependent of this "corporate shenanigans" (blobs and otherwise).

Since I'm not so much into the dev sceme/movement anymore, there's any hope?

Reactions: multiwirth
That's always a bummer in whatever project. I'm beginning my path in the Linux Journey to my computers, so the history of closed source and reverse engineering on the drivers part took some time.

Going back to Android, I don't know what to say, because I would hope that in 2022 we as a community could be in a better place of security and longevity to our hardware+software and not be as dependent of this "corporate shenanigans" (blobs and otherwise).

Since I'm not so much into the dev sceme/movement anymore, there's any hope?
Well i´m also not very into development yet.
I learned how to build from source and do some minor changes (basics) but never wrote a single line of code myself.
But i have a lot of different devices and i followed development on all of them over the years.
So i can guarantee anything but i think the oneplus3 will simply need some time.
Maybe it will come back with android 13 or android 14.
I mean even my old HTC One M8 runs android 12 by now, it´s not great but all hardware features are present and working except the networking monitor stuff that doesn´t work due to the recent changes in the android system.
But other than that it could login to wifi, RIL is working and bluetooth ofc.

So all we need is someone with the skills and will to bring up the device tree to android 12 with patches and fixes, it will however probably continue as unofficial builds unless someone ports at least kernel 4.9 or backports all neccessary stuff since lineage requires EVERYTHING to be working, even if 99% of people wouldn´t even notice there was something missing. (both would be a nightmare to do).

Top Liked Posts