• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] 12-09-2016 - Custom GB/ICS for Ainol Novo8 Advanced ( tm809 )

Search This thread

$$pasquale

Jan 5, 2012

Custom ICS for Ainol Novo8 Advanced ( tm809 )

UPDATE 12-09-2016 - new rom

Thanks to
Cheeyee - for his huge works on app, modules and jitter-fix
YetAnotherForumUser - for his work to remove jitter
sHAOgE - for showing me compatibility with Ramos W13 firmware
JackDeer - for showing me compatibility with Ramos W6HD firmware
nurdyn - for helping me to configure build.prop for ethernet and 3G dongle support

FOR INFO AND UPDATES VISIT

OFFICIAL PAGE
http://origovacua.altervista.org/wordpress/custom-ics-novo8/

Last edited:

jcbarbosa

Mar 29, 2007
Hello, psquare.

Thanks. ROM is already great.
Very smooth. Only little flicker on touch compared to 4.01. Anything tweekd here?

Did little testing. CIFS works! (great). FlashPlayer and Youtube don't seem to be working. Other GAPPS are fine.

Is it too much of a pain to get bluetooth and 3G dongle to work? Can i help?

Reactions: $$pasquale

$$pasquale

Jan 5, 2012
Hello, psquare.

Very smooth. Only little flicker on touch compared to 4.01. Anything tweekd here?

Did little testing. CIFS works! (great). FlashPlayer and Youtube don't seem to be working. Other GAPPS are fine.

Thanks for testing!
For flash player..I made ​​a little mistake :p
I add version 10.2 but only >= 11.1 work with ICS!

Touch is real problem for this tablet, trembles especially when charging.
Maybe ADWLauncherEX work better but is paid software....
However, would be needed the kernel sources for solve many problems

bluetooth, 3g, ext4, gamepad will work in next releases

Reactions: MrRimmer and zb7401

MrRimmer

Nov 10, 2008
Yes, touch is terrible. It makes clicking on anything virtually impossible. Is there nothing that can be done without kernel source? It's much worse than any of the Gingerbread ROMs.

jcbarbosa

Mar 29, 2007
Yes, touch is terrible. It makes clicking on anything virtually impossible. Is there nothing that can be done without kernel source? It's much worse than any of the Gingerbread ROMs.

Yes is quite bad.
At first it seemed like a small issue, but the continued use makes it rather terrible.
I think that installing ADWLauncherEX makes it better in homescreen and app drawer but does not solve the touch problem inside the apps.

MrRimmer

Nov 10, 2008
Another issue is that the UI isn't smooth, redraw look like about 10fps?
Also, how does one sign into a Google account? Is that option available when gapps are installed? I didn't get that far as the touch issue is a show-stopper for me and have gone back to the Cheeyee ROM, patch 8, which seems to be the smoothest of all the ROMs (so far).

jcbarbosa

Mar 29, 2007
Another issue is that the UI isn't smooth, redraw look like about 10fps?
Also, how does one sign into a Google account? Is that option available when gapps are installed? I didn't get that far as the touch issue is a show-stopper for me and have gone back to the Cheeyee ROM, patch 8, which seems to be the smoothest of all the ROMs (so far).

That option is available after you install the gapps.
I also think that cheyee's patch8 ROM is the most smooth and has the most options (flash, bluetooth, 3g, wiimote, etc.)

Even thought, I am currently using the latest ICS. I personaly think that i can get more from the tablet with this rom. Perhaps its just the ics launcher...

MrRimmer

Nov 10, 2008
I'm sure it won't be long before everyone is using ICS, once these issues are sorted. I'm looking forward to using the USB host with Torque (OBD2 reader).

MrRimmer

Nov 10, 2008
Touch

Does the latest version have Cheeyee's touch patch 8a included?
Any explanation as to why the UI is not so smooth?

Thanks.

BTW, have tested CIFS, seems to work fine.

educuritiba

Aug 4, 2008
preparing internal storage

another question: how do I stop the "preparing internal storage" process? I just can't use the camera because of this issue... thanks!

jcbarbosa

Mar 29, 2007
Hi psquare.

This release really seems more powerfull.
Did small testing:
Jitter is a bit better

Doesn't work:
Settings/Display/Brightness (but works in the settings laucher widget)
Bluetooth
Flash
Youtube (keeps saying "please check network and system date")
Movie studio (runs, but keeps saying "can't import movie clip" same thing with photos)
AC3 audio
Calculator (error in several calculations ex: sin(0) = error )

work:
CIFS
GMAIL, Calendar, Talk, Market
USB Debug
Terminal emulator

Thanks

$$pasquale

Jan 5, 2012
Hi psquare.

This release really seems more powerfull.
Did small testing:
Jitter is a bit better
Trebuchet form CM9 is better then Launcher2

Doesn't work:
Settings/Display/Brightness (but works in the settings laucher widget)
I know, I had already written on frist page.
Don't work because I changed setting.apk with cm9 version, more complete

There aren't the modules. In next release...

Flash
Youtube (keeps saying "please check network and system date")
I don't know, try to change setting from browser.

Movie studio (runs, but keeps saying "can't import movie clip" same thing with photos)
This app probably will not work in this custom.
you have to wait cm9..

AC3 works fine, try again

Calculator (error in several calculations ex: sin(0) = error )
EDIT
Calculator works fine

work:
CIFS
GMAIL, Calendar, Talk, Market
USB Debug
Terminal emulator

Bye

Last edited:

jcbarbosa

Mar 29, 2007

MarkSGS

Nov 16, 2010
Thanks for your great work psquare. For me the rom is actually very stable, I have not had any crashes yet. The only downside is the terrible jitter on the touch screen. This is also present on the 2.3.4 rom, but it seems worse on ICS. For me it is not even possible to change the position of a widget and in the task manager I keep accidentally closing apps instead of opening them (it slides instead of clicking because of the jittering). If this can be fixed the rom is perfect for everyday use :D Keep up the good work :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Custom ICS for Ainol Novo8 Advanced ( tm809 )

UPDATE 12-09-2016 - new rom

Thanks to
    Cheeyee - for his huge works on app, modules and jitter-fix
    YetAnotherForumUser - for his work to remove jitter
    sHAOgE - for showing me compatibility with Ramos W13 firmware
    JackDeer - for showing me compatibility with Ramos W6HD firmware
    nurdyn - for helping me to configure build.prop for ethernet and 3G dongle support

FOR INFO AND UPDATES VISIT

OFFICIAL PAGE
    http://origovacua.altervista.org/wordpress/custom-ics-novo8/

Modified touchscreen driver, with rudimentary jitter filter

I have this idea to implement a userspace program that would grab exclusive access to the Goodix Touchscreen. And then create a uinput device that minics the touchscreen. In this userspace program we would read the touch inputs from Goodix TS apply the dejiter filters and then send events through the uinput device.

This should be a workaround the problem not able to modify the kernel goodix driver.

Here is the what the program with do.

call ioctl(fd_goodix_ts, EVIOCGRAB, &grab);
    create uinput device
    read events from goodix_ts
    apply filter on ts coord.
    send filtered events to uinput device.

The userspace program will be started in init.rc before starting android.

Do you think this will work?

It might work, but is it the best way? Why not hack the driver itself instead? The mere fact that the driver is built into the kernel shall not stop the wily hacker...

So said, so done. I hacked up the driver (from the amlogic source) to be able to load it as a module (using Skrilax_CZ' symsearch module to be able to access the gpio_XXX calls). This new module can be loaded by first unbinding the built-in module, followed by loading the new module - it will bind to the touschscreen without problems.

unbinding the built-in driver is easy:
    Code:
    # echo "0-0055" > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/Goodix-TS/unbind
    You'll want to do this from within an adb shell session, for obvious reasons... You can go back to the original driver by unloading your alternative module (optional, but why not) and binding the built-in driver to the hardware:
    Code:
    # echo "0-0055" > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/Goodix-TS/bind

The module loads and works OK in gingerbread. In ICS it works when you can get it to load/unload, but the system often locks up on unbinding the driver and/or loading the module.

For now I have only implemented a simple weighted filter which does not really produce usable results yet. I had a look at the filter code in InputReader.cpp and might experiment with that instead.

So far, this work has not resulted in an actual improvement - the screen still jitters and is a lot slower to respond. This is caused by the simpleminded filter I put in there, and that will have to be fixed. There are many ways to filter jitter, each with their own pros and cons. In this case we want a filter which is fast to respond (to limit lag) and effective at filtering low frequency noise.

I'll put the source online when I have a bit more time, now duty calls. If anyone has some ready-made filter code which you'd like to try, post the code and we can all have a go at hacking it.

---- (time passes, crickets chirp, the wind blows through the willows) ---

OK, found a spot of time to pack up some files, added to this post. Unpack the tarball in the kernel directory to hack on the driver, or unpack it anywhere to just extract the modules. To hack the driver, do a make menuconfig to include the symsearch module (it should be preselected) and change the goodix_touch driver to load as a module. Hack away, and do a 'make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- modules' (replace CROSS_COMPILE with your own tool chain settings if you use a different one). Push the resulting modules to your device. Unbind the built-in driver and load the modules (symsearch first!). Be annoyed by the laggy touchscreen and decide that you can do better. Do better and show us the results. In code:
    Code:
    cd /var/src/amlogic/kernel <----- edit this path
    tar xzf /path/to/goodix_touch-mod.tar.gz
    make menuconfig
     (change goodix_touch to load as a module)
    make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- modules <---- edit CROSS_COMPILE if needed
    push drivers/misc/symsearch/symsearch.ko /sdcard/
    push drivers/amlogic/input/touch_screen/goodix_touch.ko /sdcard/

adb shell
    # echo "0-0055" > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/Goodix-TS/unbind
    # insmod /sdcard/symsearch.ko
    # insmod /sdcard/goodix_touch.ko <--- this should make the touchscreen come alive

If you want to see some debugging info:

# echo 1 > /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0055/debug

To stop the flood:

# echo 0 > /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0055/debug

To go back to the built-in driver:

# rmmod goodix_touch
    # echo "0-0055" > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/Goodix-TS/bind

BTW, the new driver is called 'Goodix-TS-mod' (/sys/bus/i2c/drivers/Goodix-TS-mod)
    Here's my crack at the touch screen jitter filter in driver code. Just basically took what I implemented in 2.3.4 ROM and modified goodix_average method.

Here is what is does.
    1. Applies averaging filter only when finger is not moving or moving slowly. Filtering is ignore when moving quickly. The threshold for quick move distance is 75.
    2. By default it uses the last 15 coords to calculate average. This can be changed by writing the sample size into /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0055/avgsample. Min=3, Max=30. If you write anything else it will default to 15.
    echo 10 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0055/avgsample
    3. Averaging filter does not include the pressure in calculating the average x,y coords.
    4. Averaging algorithm does not need to loop all coords to total up in every call to goodix_average.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69619046/goodix_driver_mod.tar.gz
    ICS for Novo8 v5.0.1 - psquare

Hi friends, there are news :)
    I made a new version of ICS ROM, v5.0.1.

Changelog

Update Ramos stuff
    Update CM9 stuff
    little wifi fix
    improved stability and speed, now finally good

Sometimes there are problems with cyanogenmod gapps (vending) for ics, soon a new version of this.

PLEASE WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET BEFORE INSTALL!

link
    http://origovacua.altervista.org/wordpress/custom-ics-for-novo8-official-page/

bye :)

EDIT:
    NEW GAPPS! http://ubuntuone.com/1z2OBhBhrQhRyorCye0ZIO
    Hello, psquare.

Thanks for testing!
    For flash player..I made ​​a little mistake :p
    I add version 10.2 but only >= 11.1 work with ICS!

Touch is real problem for this tablet, trembles especially when charging.
    Maybe ADWLauncherEX work better but is paid software....
    However, would be needed the kernel sources for solve many problems

bluetooth, 3g, ext4, gamepad will work in next releases