[ROM][12.1/11][UNOFFICIAL][redfin] crDroid v8.9/v7.21

Search This thread

chadwickr

Jul 28, 2018
Google Pixel 6
Has anyone experienced a small black line on either side of the navigation bar at the bottom? I've tried multiple flashes, it always ends up just right there. On the picture I've attached, it's right below the back button to the left. Same on the right side. Just a small thing, curious if anyone else has had this issue and found a way to fix it. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220708_232211456.jpg
    PXL_20220708_232211456.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

swordphsh

Jul 21, 2010
Has anyone experienced a small black line on either side of the navigation bar at the bottom? I've tried multiple flashes, it always ends up just right there. On the picture I've attached, it's right below the back button to the left. Same on the right side. Just a small thing, curious if anyone else has had this issue and found a way to fix it. Thanks
Yes, I believe they've always been there for me. It's so far down it doesn't bother me. I came from a Pixel 3 that had a similar pattern on top of the screen, but never managed to resolve that either. I've come to accept these minor quirks of custom roms for the improved experience.

Reactions: chadwickr

chadwickr

Jul 28, 2018
Google Pixel 6
Yes, I believe they've always been there for me. It's so far down it doesn't bother me. I came from a Pixel 3 that had a similar pattern on top of the screen, but never managed to resolve that either. I've come to accept these minor quirks of custom roms for the improved experience.
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to ignore it, especially since it seems like black pixels which shouldn't burn in at all. weird bug though

Dwamies

Dec 6, 2018
I've been trying to get this to function on my GP5 running stock Android 12.

Following the instructions in the OP leads to bootlooping after trying to flash the crDroidboot.img

Might be doing something wrong, but I had sucessfully installed Lineage and Proton before reverting back to stock and attempting crDroid.

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
I've been trying to get this to function on my GP5 running stock Android 12.

Following the instructions in the OP leads to bootlooping after trying to flash the crDroidboot.img

Might be doing something wrong, but I had sucessfully installed Lineage and Proton before reverting back to stock and attempting crDroid.

Don't flash crdroidboot, especially if you're on A12. Just boot it with fastboot boot, and sideload the rom.

Or you can use TWRP.

Dwamies

Dec 6, 2018
Don't flash crdroidboot, especially if you're on A12. Just boot it with fastboot boot, and sideload the rom.

Or you can use TWRP.
So booting using command <fastboot boot crDroid.img> results in the same problem as flashing, just without the loop. It fails with the error <(bootloader) boot.img missing cmdline or OS version>

I will try again using TWRP. Thanks for the quick reply!

Edit: TWRP is a success. The instructions found in the OP do not function with my Pixel 5.

Last edited:

ChillerMarvin

Jul 10, 2013
has anyone experienced problems updating to v7.17?
yesterday i updated from v7.13 to v7.15 and was a bit confused because sideload fails at 47%. tried it multiple times, switched slots manually but it still failed at 47%.
i even flashed the boot image to both slots and tried sideloading again but it still failed.
i was frustrated, so i tried booting the rom, i expected a bootloop, but it booted fine and even the update to v7.15 was applied. maybe this error is normal? idk.

today i tried to update to v7.17, flashed the new boot images to both slots, sideloaded the v7.17 zip file, switched slots and sideloaded it again (ignoring the 47% error). i then booted my phone, but it seems to not have been updated, since it still shows v7.15. tried the whole process again, but same results.
(recovery shows v.7.17, so basically i'm booting with the v7.17 bootimage but v7.15 rom is still installed even tho i tried to sideload it 2 times each to both slot)

should i just skip v7.17 and try to update to v7.18?

RaS_KoR

Nov 30, 2011
Google Pixel 5
I also get it.
Most of time I arrive to ignore it.

RaS_KoR

Nov 30, 2011
Google Pixel 5
has anyone experienced problems updating to v7.17?
yesterday i updated from v7.13 to v7.15 and was a bit confused because sideload fails at 47%. tried it multiple times, switched slots manually but it still failed at 47%.
i even flashed the boot image to both slots and tried sideloading again but it still failed.
i was frustrated, so i tried booting the rom, i expected a bootloop, but it booted fine and even the update to v7.15 was applied. maybe this error is normal? idk.

today i tried to update to v7.17, flashed the new boot images to both slots, sideloaded the v7.17 zip file, switched slots and sideloaded it again (ignoring the 47% error). i then booted my phone, but it seems to not have been updated, since it still shows v7.15. tried the whole process again, but same results.
(recovery shows v.7.17, so basically i'm booting with the v7.17 bootimage but v7.15 rom is still installed even tho i tried to sideload it 2 times each to both slot)

should i just skip v7.17 and try to update to v7.18?
If I remember well, I dirty flash 7.18 from 7.15 with just one issue : I was not able to use any network (wifi or wan) . I have to reflash the rom to get network. Exept that everything working well.

ChillerMarvin

Jul 10, 2013
If I remember well, I dirty flash 7.18 from 7.15 with just one issue : I was not able to use any network (wifi or wan) . I have to reflash the rom to get network. Exept that everything working well.
hm, this is weird. i'm unable to dirty flash to any newer version than 7.15.
i followed the instructions from op except formatting data. after flashing the boot image it even shows version 7.20 in the recovery menu, but when i try to sideload the rom, it fails at 47%.
when i boot up android, it shows crdroid version 7.15. no matter how often i try to sideload the rom, i even made sure the bootimage and rom are getting flashed on both slots, a and b.
bootimage seems to be upgradeable, since recovery shows version 7.20, but rom keeps staying at version 7.15 no matter what i do

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
hm, this is weird. i'm unable to dirty flash to any newer version than 7.15.
i followed the instructions from op except formatting data. after flashing the boot image it even shows version 7.20 in the recovery menu, but when i try to sideload the rom, it fails at 47%.
when i boot up android, it shows crdroid version 7.15. no matter how often i try to sideload the rom, i even made sure the bootimage and rom are getting flashed on both slots, a and b.
bootimage seems to be upgradeable, since recovery shows version 7.20, but rom keeps staying at version 7.15 no matter what i do
The failing at 47% is normal.
I'm on older version, before installing A12 (possibly next week) for test on my phone, I will take a look at dirty upgrade.

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
v7.21 available to download. Unfortunately I still don't have time to test v8/A12 on my phone.

I have a fresh build, in case anyone wants to try and test it, drop me a PM. I will upgrade and test eventually, I just don't know when.

Edit: I renamed a wrong file (it was a test build of v8) and uploaded it as v7.21. Update removed, I will upload the correct build in a few minutes.

Please redownload and do not use the files uploaded yesterday, sorry guys.

Last edited:

TomekUser

Jun 28, 2015
I am using alternative launcher (Nova) with 3-buttons navigation bar and noticed strange behavior.
From time to time when I press Home button a screen with selection of default/different app appears.

Nova is set up as default launcher, so it is really strange that system is asking me this question. I did reinstallation, clear cache for both launchers and no improvement.
I even try to disable Pixel Launcher, but this brought more knows problems (Recent button is not working), so I wonder if this can be somehow solved?

I have root, so if there is anything which requires it I also happy to try. I assume that this is some system glitch as previously on Pixel 4a I was using Nova launcher and there was no such issues.

Please help as I am tirred of clicking 'Always use Nova 7' when I want to use Home button.

I am using alternative launcher (Nova) with 3-buttons navigation bar and noticed strange behavior.
From time to time when I press Home button a screen with selection of default/different app appears.

Nova is set up as default launcher, so it is really strange that system is asking me this question. I did reinstallation, clear cache for both launchers and no improvement.
I even try to disable Pixel Launcher, but this brought more knows problems (Recent button is not working), so I wonder if this can be somehow solved?

I have root, so if there is anything which requires it I also happy to try. I assume that this is some system glitch as previously on Pixel 4a I was using Nova launcher and there was no such issues.

Please help as I am tirred of clicking 'Always use Nova 7' when I want to use Home button.
Just passing by to say I had same issue with Nova, but gesture navigation.
Would be interesting to know if it's just Nova related or any 3rd party launchers related...

Anyway, I'm back to stock A13 so I'm not concered anymore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @hunfatal
    Anyway you can release a patch to fix volte on this a12 version?

Many thanks!

VoLTE is working with the same magisk module as it was on A11.

I will try to replace gapps with a different package, but I don't know when I will have time. Also it's possible that it will need complete reflash as a different gapps package and an already installed system can ruin some things, but I need to test this.
    BTW does anyone have issues with the Google Photos app? No matter what I do, I can't use it to edit photos. Deleted app data anc cache multiple times, uninstalled the updates from Google play, nothing helps.

would anyone of you do me a favor and check if the google photos edit feature works?
    i can't get it to work :(

Same for me, on v8.9 (12.1-20220911). When I tap 'edit' in Photos, I only get a spinning wheel. I fixed it for a while by uninstalling the Photos app updates and not allowing updates, but now even that is failing.

I also cannot Copy text in certain apps, such as any any browser apps... I can highlight text but the 'copy / etc.' menu does not pop up.

I did another clean flash of the 12.1 ROM but it still has the same issues.

Someone mentioned they think there's an issue with the bundled Gapps, which I think might be the case. Hopefully someone can offer a fix, or a new version comes out without the issues.

Until then, I'll go back to the Android 11 version :)
    @hunfatal
    Anyway you can release a patch to fix volte on this a12 version?

Many thanks!
    VoLTE is working with the same magisk module as it was on A11.

I will try to replace gapps with a different package, but I don't know when I will have time.
    Ah ok. I will look for it and thanks for your work and fast reply 👍
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:

Flashing Instructions:

Information:
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware beforehand.
    • Gapps included
    • Magisk for root (after first boot) - (Download from here)

Installation:

crDroid v7

• Back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage, because Formatting the data in the recovery formats the internal storage
    • Download the latest recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot crDroidAndroid-11.0-xxxxxxxx-redfin-signed-v7.xx-boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Sideload crDroid zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot
    crDroid v8
    • Back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage, because Formatting the data in the recovery formats the internal storage
    • For the first install, Android 12 firmware is required from the latest stock ROM
    • Download the latest stock Lineage recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash vendor_boot crDroidAndroid-12.1-xxxxxxxx-redfin-signed-v8.xx-vendor_boot.img
    • Boot to Lineage recovery (comes with flashing vendor_boot)
    • Format data
    • Sideload crDroid zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot

Sources:

Download:

Known issues:
    • crDroid v7 (Android 11)
      • Bootloop after changing fonts/theme in the settings
    • crDroid v8 (Android 12)
      • None

Contributors:
    Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid Community Telegram
    Donate to help crDroid team pay server costs
    ROM updated to v7.20 with the latest upstream changes. I've disabled smart charging in this version because it's not working.

I've also prepared the build (kinda) for A12/crDroid v8, but I don't have time to try it, hopefully I can try it and release it in the next month.
    Update for crDroid 7.13 available to download.

Happy New Year for everyone!
    Hey man this ROM has been extremely solid. A small issue here or there but nothing too bad by any means. Thank you again for building, and sharing.
    If you do decide to possibly build another ROM, I humbly suggest AICP.
    I have the latest running on my HTC One M8 and it has some really cool features!
    Don't take this as me not being grateful for this ROM though, it really is nearly perfecto.
    I just love variety and trying the different ROMs.
    The inclusion of PixelGapps and more specifically the Pixel launcher really does help to make this so close to stock but with an enormous amount of customization.
    AICP is in my plans. I want to try it out myself, we will see. :)
    Android 12.1 build is uploaded, links are in the first comment of the thread.

Please note that installation method is different, you need to flash the recovery on the vendor_boot partition, instead of the boot partition. And for the first install you need to flash the base from the factory image (radio and bootloader), the rest should be in the rom. And take care by wiping data in recovery because it wipes the internal storage as well.

Dirty upgrade could work in theory, but I didn't and won't try it, I did a clean install.

Also GApps does not contain Pixel Launcher because I couldn't find the reason why it is crashing with a permission error. Opensource Launcher3 is included, you can download Pixel Launcher from the store if you want to use it.