[ROM][12.1/11][UNOFFICIAL][redfin] crDroid v8.9/v7.21

Search This thread

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
I am using alternative launcher (Nova) with 3-buttons navigation bar and noticed strange behavior.
From time to time when I press Home button a screen with selection of default/different app appears.

Nova is set up as default launcher, so it is really strange that system is asking me this question. I did reinstallation, clear cache for both launchers and no improvement.
I even try to disable Pixel Launcher, but this brought more knows problems (Recent button is not working), so I wonder if this can be somehow solved?

I have root, so if there is anything which requires it I also happy to try. I assume that this is some system glitch as previously on Pixel 4a I was using Nova launcher and there was no such issues.

Please help as I am tirred of clicking 'Always use Nova 7' when I want to use Home button.
I have the same issue, but it doesn't depend on the ROM, since I was at v7.9 (was lazy to upgade, only building) until last week and this issue started to happen 2 or 3 weeks ago.

TomekUser

Jun 28, 2015
I have the same issue, but it doesn't depend on the ROM, since I was at v7.9 (was lazy to upgade, only building) until last week and this issue started to happen 2 or 3 weeks ago.
Did you find the reason? Maybe update of some system app, which need to be reverted?
From what I see last Nova7 version is from last year, so I doubt if this app was updated 2-3 weeks ago.

A week ago I had LineageOS and everything was working, so my guess is ROM and nothing else.

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
Did you find the reason? Maybe update of some system app, which need to be reverted?
From what I see last Nova7 version is from last year, so I doubt if this app was updated 2-3 weeks ago.

A week ago I had LineageOS and everything was working, so my guess is ROM and nothing else.
I didn't. It can't be the ROM, since I didn't touch it for almost a year and the issue started to happen. So it can be an update of a system app by Google, or play services itself.

ChillerMarvin

Jul 10, 2013
Reactions: TomekUser

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
maybe this helps? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...fault-status-on-reboot.4269325/#post-87315411

tl;dr uninstalling the "Digital Wellbeing" Updates and disableing auto-update should fix it. going to try this and let you guys know how it went

What I noticed, that Alarm/Clock app is resets the default launcher (e.g when I'm back to home it asks which one to start) after a restart.

I will take a look at this, thanks.

Edit: Digital wellbeing is definitely the issue, I've uninstalled the updates, restarted the phone, and Nova was the default launcher, it didn't asked me to select. Now I need to find an app to disable this ****, thanks. :D

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
What I noticed, that Alarm/Clock app is resets the default launcher (e.g when I'm back to home it asks which one to start) after a restart.

I will take a look at this, thanks.

Edit: Digital wellbeing is definitely the issue, I've uninstalled the updates, restarted the phone, and Nova was the default launcher, it didn't asked me to select. Now I need to find an app to disable this ****, thanks. :D
AppDash is what I use.

Screenshot_20220904-201259.pngScreenshot_20220904-201157.pngScreenshot_20220904-200714~2.pngScreenshot_20220904-201153~2.pngScreenshot_20220904-202226~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hunfatal

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
Digital Wellbeing isn't showing up in AppDash?
Yep. I saw system apps, but not that one. Strange. I will install back the update and restart the phone. Other system apps like Android Auto and Phone, Messages etc. are showing.

Edit: It didn't fix it. However in AppDash I went to tools -> History and it listed it there, so I could hit app details and disable it. Strange that it doesn't show upp in "Apps" though.

Edit2: Oh, thanks. I thought that's on by default, it works now, thanks. This looks like a decent app. I'm using Neo Backup currently for backups, but maybe I will buy this and switch, it has more functionality.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Yep. I saw system apps, but not that one. Strange. I will install back the update and restart the phone. Other system apps like Android Auto and Phone, Messages etc. are showing.

Edit: It didn't fix it. However in AppDash I went to tools -> History and it listed it there, so I could hit app details and disable it. Strange that it doesn't show upp in "Apps" though.

Edit2: Oh, thanks. I thought that's on by default, it works now, thanks. This looks like a decent app. I'm using Neo Backup currently for backups, but maybe I will buy this and switch, it has more functionality.

Very welcome, glad I could help!
It's definitely worth the buy, IMO!
I've been enjoying it for awhile now, one of my just haves!

Reactions: hunfatal

ChillerMarvin

Jul 10, 2013
guys, it's easy. just open the app in the settings, scroll down or press the "playstore icon" in the upper right corner, thus open it in playstore, uninstall it (it just uninstalls the updates) and remove the tick by "auto update" or whatever it is called in english. you don't need appdash or anything else.

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
Android 12.1 build is uploaded, links are in the first comment of the thread.

Please note that installation method is different, you need to flash the recovery on the vendor_boot partition, instead of the boot partition. And for the first install you need to flash the base from the factory image (radio and bootloader), the rest should be in the rom. And take care by wiping data in recovery because it wipes the internal storage as well.

Dirty upgrade could work in theory, but I didn't and won't try it, I did a clean install.

Also GApps does not contain Pixel Launcher because I couldn't find the reason why it is crashing with a permission error. Opensource Launcher3 is included, you can download Pixel Launcher from the store if you want to use it.

Last edited:

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
I have a question about version V8 and quick settings panel - does the toggles look so ugly as on the stock Android 12? In my opinion quick settings toggles on Android 11 are still best looking, that's why I ask
It looks the same by default. However you can hide labels, set label font size, move the label to the bottom of the toggles and setup column count. Also there are separate wifi and mobile network toggles, just like it was in A11 (but there is the stock so called internet toggle as well). Imo the toggles were the best in KitKat, but that's just personal opinion.

Been a crdroid user on pixel since I got this like year plus ago just a public notice in case someone else is having the same issues that cr droid 12 isn't working on my phone with twrp in the off chance it booted to os it would freeze on booting into recovery I'll stick with 11.0 appreciate it

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
Been a crdroid user on pixel since I got this like year plus ago just a public notice in case someone else is having the same issues that cr droid 12 isn't working on my phone with twrp in the off chance it booted to os it would freeze on booting into recovery I'll stick with 11.0 appreciate it

TWRP was also buggy for me. It booted the second time, but it's a gamble. You can boot up twrp from it's image though, I haven't tried to install it. Current TWRP is based on A11 anyway.

TWRP was also buggy for me. It booted the second time, but it's a gamble. You can boot up twrp from it's image though, I haven't tried to install it. Current TWRP is based on A11 anyway.
fastboot boot boot.img should work but regaurdless i couldnt get the droid 12 working no biggie just went back to 11 if anyone figures this out or wants to point me in a direction id help if i can

hunfatal

Nov 10, 2011
Budapest
OnePlus X
Google Pixel 5
fastboot boot boot.img should work but regaurdless i couldnt get the droid 12 working no biggie just went back to 11 if anyone figures this out or wants to point me in a direction id help if i can

As I mentioned, you need to install Android 12 stock first. And use the linage recovery. You need to boot to vendor_boot in this case.

About TWRP, yes fastboot boot should work, but half of the time TWRP just freezes for me, I need to reboot. And when flashing a ROM it either boots or only after a factory reset, I have tried a few times during building crDroid v8.

ChillerMarvin

Jul 10, 2013
As I mentioned, you need to install Android 12 stock first...
maybe you should mention this in the flashing instructions, since not everybody is gonna ready the whole thread ^^

edit: i successfully installed crdroid 8.9 and everything works fine, except the fingerprint reader. i'm able to use it to authenticate myself in banking apps and paypal, but i'm unable to unlock or even activate my screen with it, like i was able to in android 11.
is there any fix for that or do i miss something?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @hunfatal
    Anyway you can release a patch to fix volte on this a12 version?

Many thanks!

VoLTE is working with the same magisk module as it was on A11.

I will try to replace gapps with a different package, but I don't know when I will have time. Also it's possible that it will need complete reflash as a different gapps package and an already installed system can ruin some things, but I need to test this.
    Hello @hunfatal
    It's not so bad if your updates take a while, as long as they come at all I'm very happily grateful for them.

With the new TWRP is that when you put it on the system no longer boots up and is in a continuous loop in recovery.

Oh and I noticed 2 things that are missing image contrast to my oneplus 8T
    Smart Charging where you can set the maximum charging time.
    And the button to exit all apps in memory with one button does not work or missing.
    BTW does anyone have issues with the Google Photos app? No matter what I do, I can't use it to edit photos. Deleted app data anc cache multiple times, uninstalled the updates from Google play, nothing helps.

would anyone of you do me a favor and check if the google photos edit feature works?
    i can't get it to work :(

Same for me, on v8.9 (12.1-20220911). When I tap 'edit' in Photos, I only get a spinning wheel. I fixed it for a while by uninstalling the Photos app updates and not allowing updates, but now even that is failing.

I also cannot Copy text in certain apps, such as any any browser apps... I can highlight text but the 'copy / etc.' menu does not pop up.

I did another clean flash of the 12.1 ROM but it still has the same issues.

Someone mentioned they think there's an issue with the bundled Gapps, which I think might be the case. Hopefully someone can offer a fix, or a new version comes out without the issues.

Until then, I'll go back to the Android 11 version :)
    @hunfatal
    Anyway you can release a patch to fix volte on this a12 version?

Many thanks!
    VoLTE is working with the same magisk module as it was on A11.

I will try to replace gapps with a different package, but I don't know when I will have time.
    Ah ok. I will look for it and thanks for your work and fast reply 👍
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:

Flashing Instructions:

Information:
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware beforehand.
    • Gapps included
    • Magisk for root (after first boot) - (Download from here)

Installation:

crDroid v7

• Back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage, because Formatting the data in the recovery formats the internal storage
    • Download the latest recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot crDroidAndroid-11.0-xxxxxxxx-redfin-signed-v7.xx-boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Sideload crDroid zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot
    crDroid v8
    • Back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage, because Formatting the data in the recovery formats the internal storage
    • For the first install, Android 12 firmware is required from the latest stock ROM
    • Download the latest stock Lineage recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash vendor_boot crDroidAndroid-12.1-xxxxxxxx-redfin-signed-v8.xx-vendor_boot.img
    • Boot to Lineage recovery (comes with flashing vendor_boot)
    • Format data
    • Sideload crDroid zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot

Sources:

Download:

Known issues:
    • crDroid v7 (Android 11)
      • Bootloop after changing fonts/theme in the settings
    • crDroid v8 (Android 12)
      • None

Contributors:
    Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid Community Telegram
    Donate to help crDroid team pay server costs
    ROM updated to v7.20 with the latest upstream changes. I've disabled smart charging in this version because it's not working.

I've also prepared the build (kinda) for A12/crDroid v8, but I don't have time to try it, hopefully I can try it and release it in the next month.
    Update for crDroid 7.13 available to download.

Happy New Year for everyone!
    Hey man this ROM has been extremely solid. A small issue here or there but nothing too bad by any means. Thank you again for building, and sharing.
    If you do decide to possibly build another ROM, I humbly suggest AICP.
    I have the latest running on my HTC One M8 and it has some really cool features!
    Don't take this as me not being grateful for this ROM though, it really is nearly perfecto.
    I just love variety and trying the different ROMs.
    The inclusion of PixelGapps and more specifically the Pixel launcher really does help to make this so close to stock but with an enormous amount of customization.
    AICP is in my plans. I want to try it out myself, we will see. :)
    Android 12.1 build is uploaded, links are in the first comment of the thread.

Please note that installation method is different, you need to flash the recovery on the vendor_boot partition, instead of the boot partition. And for the first install you need to flash the base from the factory image (radio and bootloader), the rest should be in the rom. And take care by wiping data in recovery because it wipes the internal storage as well.

Dirty upgrade could work in theory, but I didn't and won't try it, I did a clean install.

Also GApps does not contain Pixel Launcher because I couldn't find the reason why it is crashing with a permission error. Opensource Launcher3 is included, you can download Pixel Launcher from the store if you want to use it.