[ROM] [12.1] [TREBLE] [UNOFFICIAL] [Gapps/Vanilla] CherishOS V3.9.5 for Nokia 8 [NB1]

Search This thread

ScruffyITA

Nov 30, 2007
today i did a live call with speaker and my friend told me no echo.....
looks like finally i can enjoy my nokia 8 again ;)

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
Can't I skip some apps that I don't want to install just like how we used to flash in Aroma? Or is there some script I can use to do that just like nikgapps?
well with the vanilla build, the entire point is you can choose your own gapps package, there is no aroma installer but there are minified gapps installers, for example nikgapps and flame gapps both give you a choice on exactly what gapps you want.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
today i did a live call with speaker and my friend told me no echo.....
looks like finally i can enjoy my nokia 8 again ;)
the loudspeaker is working on voip apps if you reduce the volume a bit, it has been slightly improved, but the issue still persists in network calls sorry, no fix for that yet. but yes at least on apps it works for now yes :) i confirmed whatsapp and telegram is ok if i just reduce the volume a little bit and not go to maximum

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
What's the Adreno GPU Driver version of this ROM? Latest Stock Pie is on V331.0 and the performance is very poor.
we are using more recent drivers than stock, however we are certainly not using the latest, because updating GPU drivers is at the very bottom of our priority list.

if you feel performance is better on stock feel free to revert to stock. we do not build roms focused on gaming performance, we build them based on user stability and overall smoothness and effeciency.

we use schedutil for the kernel not interactive. it is aimed towards effeciency with EAS to improve battery life. and the frequencies table is different from stock too.

I cannot comment on benchmarks, but we have tweaked the kernel and rom to the max possible performance, and at least according to some users - benchmarks 10% higher than stock, but if your experience is opposite there is not much we can do about it.

GPU drivers will be updated at a later stage, but our focus has been on building a stable tree for daily usage and tweaking the rom for a great user experience. its not as simple as just updating the GPU drivers, it requires heavy modification.

we have had some gamers complain about that, but we always say the same thing, gaming performance is at the bottom of our priority list. we hope you understand ;)NB1 is a rather difficult device, and our focus remains on solving bugs before adding features or enhancements.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechNoobForSale
we are using more recent drivers than stock, however we are certainly not using the latest, because updating GPU drivers is at the very bottom of our priority list.

if you feel performance is better on stock feel free to revert to stock. we do not build roms focused on gaming performance, we build them based on user stability and overall smoothness and effeciency.

we use schedutil for the kernel not interactive. it is aimed towards effeciency with EAS to improve battery life. and the frequencies table is different from stock too.

I cannot comment on benchmarks, but we have tweaked the kernel and rom to the max possible performance, and at least according to some users - benchmarks 10% higher than stock, but if your experience is opposite there is not much we can do about it.

GPU drivers will be updated at a later stage, but our focus has been on building a stable tree for daily usage and tweaking the rom for a great user experience. its not as simple as just updating the GPU drivers, it requires heavy modification.

we have had some gamers complain about that, but we always say the same thing, gaming performance is at the bottom of our priority list. we hope you understand ;)NB1 is a rather difficult device, and our focus remains on solving bugs before adding features or enhancements.
I yet have to flash anything. My boot loader unlock will stop being greyed out tomorrow. It’s okay if the drivers are not the latest or if the ROM is not gaming optimized (No ROM can really be gaming optimized either way. Depends on the game).

A smoother UI almost always = a better performing Kernel. So when you said that Kernel and ROM are as tweaked as possible, I have already been sold lmao.

About schedutil and EAS, I can easily ignore them and focus the phone on maximum performance with some simple tweaks in any Kernel Manager, discarding efficiency.

All I’m looking for is for a totally unlocked experience. CPU and GPU reaching their rated speeds and the phone performing better in any scenario, and according to your words, this is definitely the ROM I’m looking for. I’ll update tomorrow.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
I yet have to flash anything. My boot loader unlock will stop being greyed out tomorrow. It’s okay if the drivers are not the latest or if the ROM is not gaming optimized (No ROM can really be gaming optimized either way. Depends on the game).

A smoother UI almost always = a better performing Kernel. So when you said that Kernel and ROM are as tweaked as possible, I have already been sold lmao.

About schedutil and EAS, I can easily ignore them and focus the phone on maximum performance with some simple tweaks in any Kernel Manager, discarding efficiency.

All I’m looking for is for a totally unlocked experience. CPU and GPU reaching their rated speeds and the phone performing better in any scenario, and according to your words, this is definitely the ROM I’m looking for. I’ll update tomorrow.
well that's great ;) you shouldnt need to modify anything, schedutil has been geared towards offering both higher performance and effeciency, GPU boost is also already available when necessary, and with atomix kernel (included already) you can tweak a few things to your liking ;) hope you enjoy the rom as much as we enjoy making it possible.

Bootloader unlocked. Now I should flash T-Virus and I already haven't seen good experience from other users (One guy bricked his phone when flashing T Virus). I am currently on Stock Firmware, no root, October 2020 Security Patch, essentially the absolute latest. Now I don't know if the latest version of T Virus is made for this, and it also looks very picky. I don't want to brick this phone.

Not to mention that the guide THMSP offers is for Linux. I'm on Windows. I have no idea how to translate those steps. I'd really appreciate help on this one.

Røbin

Jun 2, 2015
Dhaka
Bootloader unlocked. Now I should flash T-Virus and I already haven't seen good experience from other users (One guy bricked his phone when flashing T Virus). I am currently on Stock Firmware, no root, October 2020 Security Patch, essentially the absolute latest. Now I don't know if the latest version of T Virus is made for this, and it also looks very picky. I don't want to brick this phone.

Not to mention that the guide THMSP offers is for Linux. I'm on Windows. I have no idea how to translate those steps. I'd really appreciate help on this one.
What do you mean by picky? I unlocked bootloader and flashed T-Virus a week ago following the same guide, nothing worse happened. It's all same for NB1 device. And you need NOST to flash t-virus file which is also available for windows. If you're confused i can help you.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011

Regarding your query - there are a few users that have messed up their devices yes, but this is not because of T-virus itself, its because users attempt to flash treble twrp or treble roms while still on stock, or vice versa, as Tvirus modifies our partition table, once your on Tvirus you must stay towards treble things, and you must use T-virus revert to revert back to stock partition table if you flash anything on stock, that is the only possible way you can brick, T-virus itself is not an issue and never was. just make sure your bootloader is unlocked and critical unlocked and don't attempt to flash a rom without T-virus installed first.

If you feel stressed, feel free to PM me on telegram and i will assist you through the process, my username is same as xda.

PS: even though they messed up their devices, i managed to help them recover ;) but the only reason they bricked in the first place is not following instructions, it was user error - certainly not Tvirus.

our roms requires the modified partition table for roms to work so Tvirus installed first is a must, only way you can mess up is trying to flash a rom without Tvirus installed first, if you don't do that, you'll be fine.

reason being - Tvirus creates a /vendor partition which nokia 8 never came with. that is why flashing the roms messes up the device on stock partition table, because it expects a /vendor partition and stock does not have one so then it goes into EDL.

Last edited:
  • Love
Regarding your query - there are a few users that have messed up their devices yes, but this is not because of T-virus itself, its because users attempt to flash treble twrp or treble roms while still on stock, or vice versa, as Tvirus modifies our partition table, once your on Tvirus you must stay towards treble things, and you must use T-virus revert to revert back to stock partition table if you flash anything on stock, that is the only possible way you can brick, T-virus itself is not an issue and never was. just make sure your bootloader is unlocked and critical unlocked and don't attempt to flash a rom without T-virus installed first.

If you feel stressed, feel free to PM me on telegram and i will assist you through the process, my username is same as xda.

PS: even though they messed up their devices, i managed to help them recover ;) but the only reason they bricked in the first place is not following instructions, it was user error - certainly not Tvirus.

our roms requires the modified partition table for roms to work so Tvirus installed first is a must, only way you can mess up is trying to flash a rom without Tvirus installed first, if you don't do that, you'll be fine.

reason being - Tvirus creates a /vendor partition which nokia 8 never came with. that is why flashing the roms messes up the device on stock partition table, because it expects a /vendor partition and stock does not have one so then it goes into EDL.
Well this is VERY GOOD!

To let you understand better, I thought that each T Virus release was for a specific Stock OS release (For example a T Virus 2019XXXX is only for Pie on April Security Patch and so on). But if none of that really is a problem, then I’ll be done with this within minutes.

I spent a day studying the whole ordeal with Nokia 8 development myself, and I also discovered that the newer version of T Virus include TWRP 3.4.0.0 which doesn’t have the decryption bug anymore, which is very good.

Haven’t got much choice other than Treble based things. Any newer android release is based on that anyways, and the current active development for this device is for treble things, so.

I have already made sure everything’s unlocked. Boot loader and critical both are “true” on fastboot and there is currently still nothing installed.

Can’t wait to install CherishOS. Or maybe even try out Ancient. Gotta see which one suits me better.

Thanks for the help!

What do you mean by picky? I unlocked bootloader and flashed T-Virus a week ago following the same guide, nothing worse happened. It's all same for NB1 device. And you need NOST to flash t-virus file which is also available for windows. If you're confused i can help you.
I’ll let you know if I accidentally make my device declare thermonuclear war or if it just dies 😌

Or if all goes well. Either way I’ve never seen support this active on XDA. Nokia 8 development seems abandoned but the people keeping it alive are great, I’m seeing that.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
Well this is VERY GOOD!

To let you understand better, I thought that each T Virus release was for a specific Stock OS release (For example a T Virus 2019XXXX is only for Pie on April Security Patch and so on). But if none of that really is a problem, then I’ll be done with this within minutes.

I spent a day studying the whole ordeal with Nokia 8 development myself, and I also discovered that the newer version of T Virus include TWRP 3.4.0.0 which doesn’t have the decryption bug anymore, which is very good.

Haven’t got much choice other than Treble based things. Any newer android release is based on that anyways, and the current active development for this device is for treble things, so.

I have already made sure everything’s unlocked. Boot loader and critical both are “true” on fastboot and there is currently still nothing installed.

Can’t wait to install CherishOS. Or maybe even try out Ancient. Gotta see which one suits me better.

Thanks for the help!
well, unfortunately with android 12 - it requires 3.6 to install, and twrp is still incompatible with android 12 (fully) so the decryption bug still exists but only with a rom pin set, if you don't have a rom pin it works fine, that is not device side though that is twrp side, encryption/decryption is working correctly on our device. we are awaiting twrp to fix that rather annoying issue still.

The Tvirus you install is irrelevant - because all it needs to do is create the vendor, the roms replace the boot, vendor, system, and some roms (like cherish and ancient) contain an entire firmware upgrade too in the rom zips. so don't worry about newer or older Tvirus versions.

and great, don't worry to much, you won't brick unless you try install cherish on stock partition table :D once you boot into the rather old looking GSI, you know your on treble and can boot up into twrp, but you'll need to update twrp before attempting to install the rom or it might give error 1 or 7.

i attached the recoveries to the post, be sure to grab it ;) as that old twrp is rather broken when it comes to A12.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
I’ll let you know if I accidentally make my device declare thermonuclear war or if it just dies 😌

Or if all goes well. Either way I’ve never seen support this active on XDA. Nokia 8 development seems abandoned but the people keeping it alive are great, I’m seeing that.
and well, i try :D thank you. its only a few of us still actively maintaining however we trying our best to keep it alive despite half of us not having a working device anymore (myself included)

and well, i try :D thank you. its only a few of us still actively maintaining however we trying our best to keep it alive despite half of us not having a working device anymore (myself included)
Damn how did that happen? Did they just die? I usually keep my phones with such care they last until they literally die, I have a decade old S3 still working (Overclocked and everything, lol)

I’ll contact you on telegram later, I don’t want to flood your forum here.

marceldossantos91

Jan 17, 2011
Damn how did that happen? Did they just die? I usually keep my phones with such care they last until they literally die, I have a decade old S3 still working (Overclocked and everything, lol)

I’ll contact you on telegram later, I don’t want to flood your forum here.
got a flood of bad batteries constantly, and i ruined my lcd and FP with all the assembly/disassembly in the process, cant find a good replacement battery. no problem ;)

• Haha
got a flood of bad batteries constantly, and i ruined my lcd and FP with all the assembly/disassembly in the process, cant find a good replacement battery. no problem ;)
Oh well, there goes. Was flashing the latest stable release of T Virus with NOST and somewhere around the finishing line it failed.

Error code: 0xc6d7
Error: Download fails
Error = SE_ERR_ADB_CMD_DEVICE_WRITE_FAIL (0xC6D7)

I am just idling in download mode now. Don't even know if I can reboot at all.

It's essentially the same identical error message as the guy on the Main T Virus forum.

Last edited:

bunzo

Aug 25, 2009
Palma de Mallorca
Sorry to hear you can't find a good battery, after an almost three months of searching I found one and I posted the details here on XDA Nokia 8 device tree in Q&A
This is the thread about the replacement battery that I found and replaced: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/nokia-8-ta-1052-battery-sustitution.4367581/ and I told you that during the process of trying several batteries my Nokia 8 also had a broken screen but I bought another one (luckily they are not expensive, the one I bought cost me about 25 euros). Now I have the mobile with the new battery and it lasts me about 48 hours with not very intense use and with the AncientOs 6.2 Society so I am very happy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cherish-3-x-png.5454521

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

CherishOS is an AOSP based rom focusing on a Unique UI with many customizations.

Known bugs
    - Loudspeaker is loud and creates some echo in calls
    - TWRP recovery does not decrypt internal storage with a pin set, this is TWRP's fault, but does not affect OTAs, cancel when prompted for pin it will say its incorrect. [fixed with latest twrp]
    - Offline charging animation does not work [FIXED in 3.5.2]
    - SIM2 mobile data does not work (for dual sim users) but the sim itself works fine [FIXED in 3.5.2]
    - gyro sensor creates a drift in some games [FIXED in 3.6]
    - requires flashing atomix zip for WPA2 hotspot to work (attached) < now included, needs test. [no longer required]
    - you tell me

Please ensure T-virus-2.0 is installed before attempting to flash this rom! follow this guide here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/nokia-8-nb1-full-rom-installation-guide.4349525/

Selinux status: Enforcing

Download

ROM

Recovery
    TWRP:

The Zip installer is used for easier access when flashing roms, the img is there in case you have forgotten to flash the zip and have lost recovery.

Flashing instructions

Clean Flash:

1. Take a full backup of both your data and internal storage as it may be wiped.

2. Download the ROM from above link and flash the recovery zip

3. Download the recovery zip of your choosing and flash it if not already on latest twrp.

4. boot into recovery and either remove rom pin or wipe internal to have it accessible to copy rom zip over (due to the decryption bug) or just use external sd card to flash.

5. flash the rom zip and recovery zip again right after the rom zip before rebooting , it will reboot you to recovery automatically in other slot. (optional) cherish recovery included.

6. Flash any mods you may want

7. run factory reset from recovery, or wipe /data and /dalvik if you don't want internal wiped.

8. reboot to system and enjoy!

(flashing Atomix zip is only needed if you flash the .img to fix hotspot, but not with the zip)

Installing an OTA (Dirty flash):

1. Download the ROM from above link

2. flash the rom zip and recovery zip and let it reboot into recovery.

3. wipe Dalvik cache only

4. flash any mods you had previously flashed.

5. reboot to system and enjoy!

(flashing Atomix zip is only needed if you flash the .img to fix hotspot, but not with the zip)

Device support:
    https://t.me/HMD_Nokia_8

Credits
    Me for building the rom
    @emufan4568 for the NB1 device and vendor tree, atomix kernel and TWRP.
    Rany42 for all his help and contribution and for using his device trees, he doesn't have an XDA account.
    @oaid for contribution to vendor tree and atomix kernel and countless hours of bug fixing
    @CherishOS team for the amazing ROM
    @THMSP for T-virus

all users in our telegram groups that helped us contribute and find bugs as well as sent us logs.

if i missed anyone in credits please let me know and ill add you to this list.

coffee: if you do decide to donate, thank you, appreciate it more than you know.

Sources:

CherishOS: https://github.com/CherishOS

Device trees: https://github.com/GPUCode, https://github.com/c79
    build updated

Happy flashing!
    Can you please post a log? I have not seen this issue happen on my device even after 7 days without a reboot, i will investigate
    I updated to the new build on Thursday and it's been good so far- no freezes yet. Thanks for fixing the H/W lights!

Anyways, I'll post a log if it happens again but so far so good.

To anyone else reading, I currently have 0 issues with this ROM- much better than stock ROM which is stuck at Android 9👍
    GPS is fine, it sometimes wants to recalibrate though. I don't know about aptx-HD but aptx works. Minimum screen brightness feels better with "Extra Dim" setting on the rom. Overall pretty stable but you should be cautious if it's gonna be a big deal for you in case of a problem. I was personally restarting phone around once a week on original software but I am restarting it daily with ROM to make sure it doesn't act weird. PS: That HD audio settings became usable when you connect the device.
    build is updated, the only change is that the H/W lights for keys should now work.

Happy flashing!