[ROM][12/12/2011] Virtuous G-Lite v2.0.1 :: GB AOSP HTC/G2 base 2.16.531.5

Search This thread

tun4f1sh

Dec 27, 2010
all files can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/#hbkiapdfla13i
bye.

Greetings!

As many of you know, G-Lite has been overdue for an update for some time now. There have been 2 T-Mobile OTA updates that G-Lite users haven't been able to take advantage of... until now.

After speaking with rmk, he's decided to allow me, tun4f1sh, to take over G-Lite development. I've rebased the ROM and cooked up a new kernel, and things are running OH-SO-SMOOTH. Here's all the stuff you'll need to know:

General info: G-Lite is a departure from other Virtuous ROMs in that it is effectively AOSP and designed to be lightweight, yet functional. If you find yourself discarding most of the features of Sense in favor of specific apps of your preference, this ROM is for you.

Features

• Supported on the G2 and DesireZ only.
  • Minimalistic, lightweight ROM with +200MB of memory free at startup.
  • /system and user partitions partitioned and aligned with ext4.
  • Extremely battery efficient (dare I say, the BEST battery life of any Vision ROM?).
  • Based on Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.16.531.5, HTC's take on AOSP.
  • All device hardware fully functional, including wifi, bluetooth, camera, camcorder, etc.
  • Advanced power menu options (reboot/recovery)
  • Virtuous OC Daemon and memory optimizations.
  • Kernel 2.6.35.13 Vision Gingerbread kernel. Do NOT use AOSP kernels with this ROM (e.g. Pershoot, Cyanogen).
  • Market-sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc) automatically installed on first boot into /data/app for easy removal.
  • Replaced stock Gingerbread launcher with LauncherPro.
  • Wifi-Calling conditionally installed for US T-Mobile users.
  • Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.
  • Rooted, deodexed.
  • All applications zipaligned on boot.
  • Trackpad wake fully supported.

Download

v2.0.1
v2.0.0
v1.0.7
v1.0.6
1.0.6 Enhanced APN Patch
International (Non US) users should flash this to get their mobile data working.

v1.0.5

v1.0.4

Changelog
Code:
 - Fixed installer script syntax error that was causing user preferences not to be applied.  It was also causing extraneous data to be left behind possibly causing system instability (including notification bar lockups)
 - Added option to use the "experimental" kernel compiled from MDJ's source (the kernel from 1.0.7).
           - Create a "use_experimental_kernel" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to use the experimental kernel.
           - The experimental kernel offers you more frequencies to overclock with, and has more features/functionality built into it (at the cost of stability/battery life in some cases, YMMV).  See MDJ's github for more information on what's included.
Code:
  - New kernel based more closely on HTC's source, and the original G-Lite kernel by rmk.
      - Kernel changes:
           - Rebased on HTC's original source (previously I used mdj's source)
           - Fixed USB mounting (broken in HTC's source, was working with mdj's)
           - Reduced Wifi voltage slightly
           - Call volume levels slightly boosted
           - Source: https://github.com/tun4f1sh/virtuous-kernel-7x30-gingerbread
           - Screen on: ondemand 245->998
           - Screen off: conservative 245->368
 - Added "Reboot" and "Recovery" options to the shutdown menu (long press the "power" button)
           - Create a "disable_apm" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to opt out of the feature and use the stock framework.
                    * NOTE: If you used UOT kitchen to theme the ROM, you'll need to redo your theme or opt out of APM as I've made framework changes.
 - Replaced Mms.apk from TMO base with one compiled from AOSP.  This resolves all MMS being converted to a slideshow.
 - Replaced "4G" status icons with "H" icons.  
           - Create a "use_4g_icon" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to revert back to the 4G icons.
 - Updated Market apps
 - Removed all traces of Swype.  Install it from their website if you want it.
 - Removed some extra bloat from /system/app (~10mb)
 - Removed htc_ebdlogd from /system/bin (Just to be safe, not sure if it has malicious/intrusive capabilities)
v1.0.7
Code:
 - Fixed automatic mobile data connectivity (APNs) for international users.
 - Included CM7 sensor driver (should resolve capacitive/qwerty backlight issues)
 - SD Card read ahead set to 4096
v1.0.6
Code:
 - EFS partition wiped during ROM flash (this should always be done when switching ROMs, just automating it to make your life easier)
 - Added conditional trackpad wake (create "disable_trackpad_wake" file in your /sdcard/virtuous_glite directory to opt out of the feature)
 - Fixed notification on LED not functioning (thanks cswroe for the tip)
 - Added CM Tones, changed default from lame Tmo jingle :)
v1.0.5
Code:
 - Fixed USB
 - Fixed Camera
 - Added ext4 support
 - Added CM7 APN list 
 - Other fixes and things :)
v1.0.4
Code:
 - Rebased on the latest T-Mobile US OTA 2.16.531.5
 - Kernel patched up to version 2.6.35.14 (sources [url]http://goo.gl/yYUn7[/url], defconfig [url]http://goo.gl/VLfvV[/url])
 - Market applications, superuser updated
 - Zipalign script/binary added (thanks Darky, tsubus)

Customizing the ROM

By creating any combination of the following files (in bold) (contents do not matter) on your sdcard in the /virtuous_glite directory (create it if it does not exist) will allow you to customize the ROM to your liking. Once the files are in place, simply flash the ROM, and your settings will be picked up by the install script and your ROM will be customized accordingly. These preferences will persist between upgrades and re-flashes of the ROM.

• use_stock_launcher - override the use of Launcher Pro in favor of the stock GIngerbread launcher.

• disable_trackpad_wake - opt-out of trackpad wake feature

• disable_apm - opt-out of advanced shutdown options (restart/recovery) and use stock framework.

• use_4g_icon - use the "4G" (marketing) icon instead of the "H" icon.

• use_experimental_kernel - use the older kernel (last seen in version 1.0.7) that's compiled from MDJ's source (with a few of my own fixes). This kernel allows more frequencies for overclocking, as well as some other features that MDJ has merged in. See his Github for more information. (Not supported)

Patches

Patches should be flashed via recovery after the ROM.

Last edited:

tun4f1sh

Dec 27, 2010
International users, please let me know if the Wi-Fi calling auto removal goes over without a hitch. It's the same logic from the other Virtuous ROMs, so it SHOULD work.

Reactions: fatruc

erichung_13

Jan 13, 2011
Melbourne
why tun4 why... I just got sense 3.5 set up nicely.. looks like its going to nandroid. ill give this a shot, thanks :p

EDIT: Is there extended settings or is the notification bar blank? this is a no no for me ): because i do not know what to replace the toggles with

Last edited:

leikamkei

Dec 21, 2010
Very nice :D I am downloading this as I type this. I will report back if there is any problems, but chances are, I won't which means I will be one happy camper.

erichung, there was no extended settings in the previous version, so I seriously doubt it will be in here.

leikamkei

Dec 21, 2010
I just finished doing a complete wipe via CWR, flashed the ROM and have been using it for the last couple of minutes.

tun4fish, I am very much thankful for your work and pushing for G-Lite to getting its much needed update. With that being said, I am by no means whining about the things I'm about to post below, but just small things I came across already and I thought maybe this would be considered feedback and to help towards that original G-Lite feel to it. Much thanks for your work!

- Just like in the previous version, the power control widget is usable only after applying to a homescreen and rebooting.

- Some bloatware that was removed in 1.0.3 seem to have made a comeback in this version. Such apps included are Setup and News and Weather. Nothing that Titanium Backup can't fix, but still.

- Battery indicator is AOSP, while 1.0.3 had a different mod (I have no idea who it belongs to)

Again, thank you very much for making me a happy camper with my G2 all over again. Your work is much appreciated.

erichung, for confirmation sakes, there is no extended settings. Sorry :(

Last edited:
Reactions: tun4f1sh

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
Well well it's nice to see this I have been waiting quite awhile. Many thanks for taking over the project. I can't wait to get this installed and give it a spin.

Kirby

tun4f1sh

Dec 27, 2010
Can anyone else confirm that their camera isn't working?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

Reactions: fatruc

Puffballofdoom

Apr 29, 2011
Can anyone fill me in on the improvements the OTA bring? I mean, it will be improvements, but what exactly are the biggest changes?

Thanks for releasing this Tuna, will be flashing this tonight and let you know what I think :)

EDIT: Also, any thoughts on Google not redownloading my apps? :(

Last edited:

duckyman

Feb 2, 2008
Zierikzee
Nice to hear there's an update :). Does anyone know if the build in FM radio is supported in this ROM? The previous G-lite didn't. Thanks....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    all files can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/#hbkiapdfla13i
    bye.

Greetings!

As many of you know, G-Lite has been overdue for an update for some time now. There have been 2 T-Mobile OTA updates that G-Lite users haven't been able to take advantage of... until now.

After speaking with rmk, he's decided to allow me, tun4f1sh, to take over G-Lite development. I've rebased the ROM and cooked up a new kernel, and things are running OH-SO-SMOOTH. Here's all the stuff you'll need to know:

General info: G-Lite is a departure from other Virtuous ROMs in that it is effectively AOSP and designed to be lightweight, yet functional. If you find yourself discarding most of the features of Sense in favor of specific apps of your preference, this ROM is for you.

Features

• Supported on the G2 and DesireZ only.
    • Minimalistic, lightweight ROM with +200MB of memory free at startup.
    • /system and user partitions partitioned and aligned with ext4.
    • Extremely battery efficient (dare I say, the BEST battery life of any Vision ROM?).
    • Based on Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.16.531.5, HTC's take on AOSP.
    • All device hardware fully functional, including wifi, bluetooth, camera, camcorder, etc.
    • Advanced power menu options (reboot/recovery)
    • Virtuous OC Daemon and memory optimizations.
    • Kernel 2.6.35.13 Vision Gingerbread kernel. Do NOT use AOSP kernels with this ROM (e.g. Pershoot, Cyanogen).
    • Market-sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc) automatically installed on first boot into /data/app for easy removal.
    • Replaced stock Gingerbread launcher with LauncherPro.
    • Wifi-Calling conditionally installed for US T-Mobile users.
    • Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.
    • Rooted, deodexed.
    • All applications zipaligned on boot.
    • Trackpad wake fully supported.

Download

v2.0.1
    v2.0.0
    v1.0.7
    v1.0.6
    1.0.6 Enhanced APN Patch
    International (Non US) users should flash this to get their mobile data working.

v1.0.5

v1.0.4

Changelog
    Code:
     - Fixed installer script syntax error that was causing user preferences not to be applied.  It was also causing extraneous data to be left behind possibly causing system instability (including notification bar lockups)
     - Added option to use the "experimental" kernel compiled from MDJ's source (the kernel from 1.0.7).
               - Create a "use_experimental_kernel" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to use the experimental kernel.
               - The experimental kernel offers you more frequencies to overclock with, and has more features/functionality built into it (at the cost of stability/battery life in some cases, YMMV).  See MDJ's github for more information on what's included.
    Code:
      - New kernel based more closely on HTC's source, and the original G-Lite kernel by rmk.
          - Kernel changes:
               - Rebased on HTC's original source (previously I used mdj's source)
               - Fixed USB mounting (broken in HTC's source, was working with mdj's)
               - Reduced Wifi voltage slightly
               - Call volume levels slightly boosted
               - Source: https://github.com/tun4f1sh/virtuous-kernel-7x30-gingerbread
               - Screen on: ondemand 245->998
               - Screen off: conservative 245->368
     - Added "Reboot" and "Recovery" options to the shutdown menu (long press the "power" button)
               - Create a "disable_apm" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to opt out of the feature and use the stock framework.
                        * NOTE: If you used UOT kitchen to theme the ROM, you'll need to redo your theme or opt out of APM as I've made framework changes.
     - Replaced Mms.apk from TMO base with one compiled from AOSP.  This resolves all MMS being converted to a slideshow.
     - Replaced "4G" status icons with "H" icons.  
               - Create a "use_4g_icon" file in your /virtuous_glite directory to revert back to the 4G icons.
     - Updated Market apps
     - Removed all traces of Swype.  Install it from their website if you want it.
     - Removed some extra bloat from /system/app (~10mb)
     - Removed htc_ebdlogd from /system/bin (Just to be safe, not sure if it has malicious/intrusive capabilities)
    v1.0.7
    Code:
     - Fixed automatic mobile data connectivity (APNs) for international users.
     - Included CM7 sensor driver (should resolve capacitive/qwerty backlight issues)
     - SD Card read ahead set to 4096
    v1.0.6
    Code:
     - EFS partition wiped during ROM flash (this should always be done when switching ROMs, just automating it to make your life easier)
     - Added conditional trackpad wake (create "disable_trackpad_wake" file in your /sdcard/virtuous_glite directory to opt out of the feature)
     - Fixed notification on LED not functioning (thanks cswroe for the tip)
     - Added CM Tones, changed default from lame Tmo jingle :)
    v1.0.5
    Code:
     - Fixed USB
     - Fixed Camera
     - Added ext4 support
     - Added CM7 APN list 
     - Other fixes and things :)
    v1.0.4
    Code:
     - Rebased on the latest T-Mobile US OTA 2.16.531.5
     - Kernel patched up to version 2.6.35.14 (sources [url]http://goo.gl/yYUn7[/url], defconfig [url]http://goo.gl/VLfvV[/url])
     - Market applications, superuser updated
     - Zipalign script/binary added (thanks Darky, tsubus)

Customizing the ROM

By creating any combination of the following files (in bold) (contents do not matter) on your sdcard in the /virtuous_glite directory (create it if it does not exist) will allow you to customize the ROM to your liking. Once the files are in place, simply flash the ROM, and your settings will be picked up by the install script and your ROM will be customized accordingly. These preferences will persist between upgrades and re-flashes of the ROM.

• use_stock_launcher - override the use of Launcher Pro in favor of the stock GIngerbread launcher.

• disable_trackpad_wake - opt-out of trackpad wake feature

• disable_apm - opt-out of advanced shutdown options (restart/recovery) and use stock framework.

• use_4g_icon - use the "4G" (marketing) icon instead of the "H" icon.

• use_experimental_kernel - use the older kernel (last seen in version 1.0.7) that's compiled from MDJ's source (with a few of my own fixes). This kernel allows more frequencies for overclocking, as well as some other features that MDJ has merged in. See his Github for more information. (Not supported)

Patches

Patches should be flashed via recovery after the ROM.

Please don't forget to hit "thanks" and rate the thread high if you enjoy the ROM! :cool:
    Reserved2....
    1.0.6 online, changelog in OP. This has been my new driver since release, can't see myself switching anytime soon. Thanks to cswroe for the fix for notification LED
    Well I get a full day's worth of charge, which is enough, but hardly excellent when I hear about other phones doing 3 days with no charging. But i'm happy with it just want more power thats all.

Show me an Android phone that lasts 3 days whilst being used at least moderately and I will eat my hat.

Sent via carrier pigeon