[ROM][12/13][S8/S8+/N8][OTA Updates] PixelExperience / Plus edition [AOSP]

Search This thread

spyrou007

Sep 9, 2014
Hello!

First of all I would like to thank for the effort building and maintaining this ROM. You are awesome!

Overall it's a great. Everything is working for me. The only thing that bothers me after the last update is the call volume. It's at its max, but I can hardly hear. When I switch to speaker it is OK.

I would like to know if anyone else experienced similar problem?

Thank you for extending the life of my S8!
Hi, I've not heard the sound volume being lower than usual. Now TBH, I always use headphones when making calls, as I found, from day one, that the volume was lower than my previous smartphone.
Anyway , have you tried this feature: Notifications> Sound Amplifier (see screenshot)?
This could solve your problem.
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-193648_Pixel Launcher.png
    Screenshot_20220810-193648_Pixel Launcher.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 74

davenasc

Sep 8, 2013
Passing safetynet with an unofficial ROM on an end of support device such as the S8 is NOT possible without rooting. - Please correct me if I am wrong.
IDK exactly how it works but with other devices and roms I can pass without root, even EOL devices such as redmi note 8 and pixelOS, but if I need to root and use magisk too, ok.

M1zura

Feb 27, 2018
The ROM is great but, fluid and smooth. My only problem is the battery drains fast. Can you recommend any kernel to use with this ROM?

Reactions: spyrou007

spyrou007

Sep 9, 2014
LMFAO, assuming you already installed the ROM on your phone, the updates can be done through OTA.

Now, as written in this post, the latest update was less than 2 months ago. So, please take into account this is summer for everyone. and a nice guy like @expressluke may need a rest after all his efforts and good work.
But, if you are impatient , you can try to fork his code yourself on github: I'm sure you'll learn a thing or two. plus you will please other impatient guys like you ;)

izrut

Jul 28, 2016
Hi, I've not heard the sound volume being lower than usual. Now TBH, I always use headphones when making calls, as I found, from day one, that the volume was lower than my previous smartphone.
Anyway , have you tried this feature: Notifications> Sound Amplifier (see screenshot)?
This could solve your problem.
Cheers
Hi, I've tried everything remotely connected with sound settings. Ihave even made a clean install of the last update, but the sound remains low. I guess I have to try a different ROM just to check if it'd a hardware issue.

Cheers!

yashk1

Mar 20, 2022
Switzerland
Samsung Galaxy S8
Hi @yashk1 , @Zerbrechliches ,
Whilst working on my problem above, I saw that the OrangeFox Recovery can come with MAGISK preinstalled as an addon, within the system.
When I read your posts, I couldn't help but thinking this could be the solution ?
Would it be something to consider ?
Never used OrangeFox Recovery, but if it is able to flash magisk correctly when flashing a new image, it sounds like it may be worth a try.

As you have it installed already, would be cool if you gave it a go and let me know if it pans out?

Will try it myself at some point but first will want to understand a bit more about OrangeFox Recovery and how it is different from TWRP.

yashk1

Mar 20, 2022
Switzerland
Samsung Galaxy S8
Dear all, one more question:
The battery is draining fast :
  • whilst I sleep, in normal mode
  • Or even with Battery saver in Extreme.
And the CPU is quickly hot.

Anyone has any tips to use less CPU? Make sure the phone performs longer (even if this means slightly slower) ?

Many thanks in advance.
Check out RZ kernel, according to @aliamjadx it worked:

yashk1

Mar 20, 2022
Switzerland
Samsung Galaxy S8
IDK exactly how it works but with other devices and roms I can pass without root, even EOL devices such as redmi note 8 and pixelOS, but if I need to root and use magisk too, ok.
I am guessing that in those cases the ROM has already got some fake device profile data baked in which passes safety net?

If you know better than me please reply to this and let us know.

yashk1

Mar 20, 2022
Switzerland
Samsung Galaxy S8
Never used OrangeFox Recovery, but if it is able to flash magisk correctly when flashing a new image, it sounds like it may be worth a try.

As you have it installed already, would be cool if you gave it a go and let me know if it pans out?

Will try it myself at some point but first will want to understand a bit more about OrangeFox Recovery and how it is different from TWRP.
@spyrou007 I switched to OrangeFox Recovery ([email protected]_2.zip) no difference even if I untick the "Disable DM-Verity", "Disable Forced-Encryption" selection boxes under the "OTA & ROM" settings menu prior to clean flashing PixelExperience_dreamlte-12.1-20220722-1551-UNOFFICIAL with Magisk-v25.2.

This further reinforces my theory that the only way encryption will ever be supported on these Android 12 custom ROMs for the S8 is through significant development effort to enable it if it is even possible at all (e.g. due to certain hardware limitations preventing it).

FYI @mephamthetamine @geoffroy777

Edit: Specified Android version when referring to "custom ROMs".

spyrou007

Sep 9, 2014

Funnily, I just put Magisk , thanks to OrangeFox Recovery on my S8+
it has never been so EASY to install Magisk.
In nutshell:
  1. Reboot into Recovery
  2. OrangeFox Recovery > Menu >Magisk manager: swipe to install Magisk inside the OrangeFox Recovery
  3. IMPORTANT, Once complete: `Wipe Caches` before reboot (as per: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#instructions )
  4. Reboot system
  5. Install the latest Magisk App: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/latest

Now Magisk in installed in OrangeFox Recovery. So I can't wait for the next PixelEd update to check if Magisk is going to be persistent (which would be amazing).

Reactions: yashk1

spyrou007

Sep 9, 2014
@spyrou007 I switched to OrangeFox Recovery ([email protected]_2.zip) no difference even if I untick the "Disable DM-Verity", "Disable Forced-Encryption" selection boxes under the "OTA & ROM" settings menu prior to clean flashing PixelExperience_dreamlte-12.1-20220722-1551-UNOFFICIAL with Magisk-v25.2.

This further reinforces my theory that the only way encryption will ever be supported on these Android 12 custom ROMs for the S8 is through significant development effort to enable it if it is even possible at all (e.g. due to certain hardware limitations preventing it).

FYI @mephamthetamine @geoffroy777

Edit: Specified Android version when referring to "custom ROMs".
I thought of you when reading this page: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides/encryption
especially the part "Android 12, Custom Recoveries, and AOSP ROM Recoveries (eg, Arrow, Lineage, PE)"
I understood it as: "Starting from Android 12, It could be that the ZIP is corrcectly installed on an encrypted device, but it is not a given."

mephamthetamine

Jul 22, 2022
tl;dr Stuck on boot following flash of magisk 25.2 post phone encryption i.e. could not get encryption to work.

Details:
  1. Clean flashed PixelExperience_dreamlte-12.1-20220722-1551-UNOFFICIAL with Magisk-v25.2.
  2. Did not connect to Wi-Fi or insert SIM on initial boot i.e. no internet connectivity.
  3. Opted out of backup services.
  4. Magisk did not appear with it's usual installer apk as in previous version had to side load the apk in to get UI working.
  5. Installed Magisk module MagiskHidePropsConf-v6.1.2
  6. Installed Magisk module safetynet-fix-v2.3.1
  7. Installed Magisk module Shamiko-v0.5.2-120
  8. In Magisk enabled Zygisk
  9. In Magisk performed hide the magisk app (no widget created).
  10. Reboot
  11. Launched set props using termux-app_v0.118.0+github-debug_arm64-v8a (root granted for 30mins) to switch to basic key attestation to get device to look like a pixel device
  12. Reboot
  13. In Magisk hid Play Store and Google Play Services by configuring deny list (but not enabling enforce deny list as Shamiko installed which handles the same)
  14. In Magisk verified Zygisk and Ramdisk are set to YES
  15. Clear cache and memory of Play Store and Google Play Services under Settings -> Apps
  16. Reboot into recovery and created backup
  17. Boot into system
  18. Encrypt Phone
  19. After system launches following the entering of PIN, some apps crash, Magisk no longer appears to be installed.
  20. Boot into recovery flash Magisk-v25.2
  21. Boot into system fails after correct PIN entered (you have to tap where the PIN prompt will appear as it keeps appearing and dissapearing in a loop unless you tap and the keyboard appears)

If anyone else has tried a different way and succeeded to get this ROM to run encrypted with safteynet passed, please let me know where my mistake is.
Sorry for the late reply, I have been away.

Thanks for the update, @yashk1. I had bootloop when I tried to encrypt on Magisk 25.2. However, even trying to encrypt on a clean install prior to installing Magisk gave me a bootloop so I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly! Could it be step 11 above that I need to do?

How long does it take you to encrypt, usually?

Mrothyr

Everything worked like a charm, but since 3 days I can't receive and send calls anymore. SMS and data is working. Looked further into it and noticed that I only get a signal in 4G (which I can't use for calling obviously without VoLTE), in 2G/3G there is no signal at all. Trying to manually choose the provider leads the settings app to crash. Factory reset didn't help. Has anybody an idea?

Same problem here (Provider Vodafone Germany). After one day or so the phone stop responding to calls and let me not call to outside (Network busy). I can not make settings for call forwarding or other provider settings. The card is new, I have replaced it in this process. The card works on my Pixel XL with an older PixelExperience ROM. Data and SMS work without any problem.

BTW: The same happened with a actual LineageOS. I will go back to stock and then test various ROMs before Android 12.

• Wow
Mar 4, 2016
Same problem here (Provider Vodafone Germany). After one day or so the phone stop responding to calls and let me not call to outside (Network busy). I can not make settings for call forwarding or other provider settings. The card is new, I have replaced it in this process. The card works on my Pixel XL with an older PixelExperience ROM. Data and SMS work without any problem.

BTW: The same happened with a actual LineageOS. I will go back to stock and then test various ROMs before Android 12.
I actually ended going back to stock myself and it didn't help, I still only have a signal when using 4G, when I change to 2G/3G only there is no signal at all. It seems the antenna for 2G is broken for good. Since I need VoLTE now with only 4G available, it seems I'm stuck with stock ROM.

Edit: My provider is also Vodafone Germany if it helps, but I don't think that matters since it worked before.

• Wow

Top Liked Posts

I'm facing a problem with this rom on my S8+, after a reboot the phone starts normally but as soon as the lockscreen is shown the screen dims slowly till its completely off and doesn't tun on again.

I faced this same problem on this rom before and tried multiple things, reflashing the rom zip did nothing, and the only way I was able to fix it was to wipe the data partition.

The first time I hadn't usb debuggin on so my options was limited. now I do have usb debuggin on, I tried resetting the display settings with no success "adb shell wm reset", also I restarted the phone in safe mode, same thing. I see the safe mode text on the lockscreen before it dims to black.

Any ideas to what causing this? any way I can figure out the cause? is there some boot log somewhere that I can access? I really do like the rom and don't want to change it and I'm hoping I wont have to wipe my data partition again.

I'm using the pixel experience plus edition with magisk, in both of the times this happens it was after a reboot.
    Hi, I had same problem. For me it was "bedtime mode" after I enabled "Grayscale" option. Then when it was on and I restarted phone it took maybe 2 seconds after boot to completely dim and stays off. I turned off grayscale option and since then it's ok.
    Android 13 builds are out in BETA.
    Please note there will likely be missing features that will come back in future builds. Plus builds next year sometime. OTA updates will not be enabled during beta phase.

Check op for Downloads.

Initial build 13.0.0_r4
    September 2022 security patch
    Thanks @expressluke for your hard work, and thanks @yashk1 for your reply.

After successfully installed this ROM , I have good news, bad news.
    ✅Good news: A lot works like a charm! I love it
    😭Bad news: I have 2 major issues only 1 issue now (SafetyNet):

1️⃣ I cannot update the ROM. When it boots into the Pixel recovery I can read:
    • Error: Could not find instance default in library [email protected]. Keeping library open.
    • Error opening trace file: No such file or directory
    • Error Failed to unmount /data
    • Error Failed to set up expected mounts for install; aborting
    This is now fixed: instead of installing the Pixel recovery with Heimdall, I installed OrangeFox Recovery. That also allowed me to do a deep clean wipe (with format data too) , as per their documentation.

2️⃣ I have issues with my Finance apps: Google Wallet, Monzo, Revolut.
    This latter is surely due to both SafetyNet tests failing:
    - Basic Integrity: Fail ❌
    - CTS profile match: Fail ❌

Cheers
    Im not sure if somebody helped you already, but a tip from me. use safetynet fix and enable zygisk and its denylist. then clear play services and playstore data, reboot and it should be fine :)
    Install Cx File Explorer. It’s the best free (including ad-free) option out there.
    Thanks aelfinn for your suggestion. I am planning to install a root file explorer, but in the meantime CX looks good.
    Hi guys, i have a galaxy s8 that i would like to custom with pixel rom, do you suggest the normal or pixel plus one? Or even the lineage os?
    Welcome @ngl_fnc ,
    I'm not sure anyone could answer that for you, we all have different requirements (things we focus or give importance). With any of these 3 ROMS we will be happy to get the latest code from AOSP. so congrats in advance.
    To make in informed decision, you have 2 choices :
    1. either you want to spend the time to try them
    2. or you go through some documentation / posts to see what others say about these ROMs.

Voila.
    If you have any trouble com back to share your [Pixel]experience.

Long answer for the option 2:
    1. FYI: LineageOS 13 is still work in progress, if you want something stable I would not recommend that, right now
    2. LineageOS 12 is great , and the ROM is small / basic. you have to take care of the Google apps yourself
    3. PixelExperience Edition is awesome , as it will add plenty of Google stuff. here you can read their focus:
    PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, bootanimation).
    Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device.
    4. PixelExperience Plus Edition is fantastic , as it will add even more on top of the regular PixelExperience. here you can read:
    Now coming to the feature list for the Plus version:
    • LiveDisplay (color profile, display mode, reading mode, color calibration)
    • Hide Notch support.
    • StatusBar shortcuts
    • Rotation settings
    • Lock screen display (media cover, music visualizer, power menu)
    • Per-app volume settings
    • Increasing ring volume
    • Different gestures
    • Power and Volume button customisations
    • Network traffic monitor
    • Brightness (brightness slider, auto brightness, brightness control)
    • Quick settings (quick pulldown, title visibility, vibrate on touch, rows, columns)
    • and more
    Hope this helps!
    You've been very very complete and i think I'm gonna try the plus version. Thank you a lot!!

NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for S8/S8+/N8

What is this?
    PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 12

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint reader
    Face unlock
    NFC
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download for Galaxy S8 (dreamlte)
    Download for Galaxy S8+ (dream2lte)
    Download from Galaxy Note8 (greatlte)

Build 2

You can update from first build through OTA app early (or flash normally):
    1) Download & Install: OTA Updater APK
    2) Download & Install : Activity Launcher APK

Mirror for apks above
    3) Open Activity Launcher and look for System Updates activity.
    4) Check for updates if doesn't appear immediately.
    5) Download and flash.

Build 3 (Android 12L)

S8

S8+

Note8

Plus edition
    11/04/2022

S8 | S8+ | Note8

Android 13 BETA

S8 | S8+ | Note8

please note this is a BETA and missing features are expected
    OTA updates will be disabled throughout the BETA period. Clean flash RECOMMENDED

Donate
    Liked my work? Give me a beer

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Our blog

New update to PE Plus (update via OTA if possible or download build here)

S8 / S8+ / Note8

Device changelog: https://www.toptal.com/developers/hastebin/raw/ucihubebic
    Build 2 of Pixel Experience is here!

Device changes (brought over from LineageOS device tree update)
    - Fixed status bar network trafic monitor
    - Improved zram performance and enabled zram writeback
    - Cleaned up patches needed for build
    - Fixed network usage monitoring
    - Fixed per app network restrictions
    - Decreased microphone gain a bit to mitigate in-call issues
    - Fixed s-pen pointer offset for note8
    - Imrpoved fp sensor response time
    - Added cgroup profile config
    - A lot of 'under the hood' changes
    - Performance improvements

Pixel Experience update
    - Implemented OTA updates

Download in OP and from below:

Build 2

OTA Updater (only needed for first build if you choose to update that way, Settings > System> System updates, will be available to use for future updates).

You can update from first build through OTA app early (or flash normally):
    1) Download & Install: OTA Updater APK
    2) Download & Install : Activity Launcher APK

Mirror for apks above
    3) Open Activity Launcher and look for System Updates activity.
    4) Check for updates if doesn't appear immediately.
    5) Download and flash.
    Please include Lineage OS side changes. Thank you for your effort @expressluke
    It will Include all device changes from the lineage ROM