Development [ROM][12][barbet] PixelExperience [AOSP][OFFICIAL]

Search This thread
NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Pixel 5a Barbet

What is this?
PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 12L

Whats working?
Wi-Fi
RIL
Mobile data
GPS
Camera
Flashlight
Camcorder
Bluetooth
FM radio
Fingerprint reader
Face unlock
NFC
Lights
Sound/vibration

Known issues
Nothing yet
You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED

Downloads:

Stay tuned

Our Telegram channel
Our blog

Install PixelExperience on barbet

WARNING: I copy and pasted thes instuctions. Please go to the offical guide for your device Barbet https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/barbet/install/

WARNING: These instructions only work if you follow every section and step precisely.
Do not continue after something fails!

Basic requirements​

1. Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
  2. Make sure your computer has adb and fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
  3. Enable USB debugging on your device.
warning
WARNING: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 12 firmware.
This is not necessarily the newest available version! Please up- or downgrade to the required version before proceeding (guides can be found on the internet!).

Flashing the vendor boot partition​

warning
WARNING: This platform requires the vendor boot partition to be flashed for recovery to work properly, the process to do so is described below.
  1. Download this vendor_boot.img file.
  2. Power off the device, and boot it into bootloader mode:
    • With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power.
  3. Flash a the downloaded images to your device by typing (replace <vendor_boot> with the actual filename!):
fastboot flash vendor_boot <vendor_boot>.img

Unlocking the bootloader​

info_outline
NOTE: The steps below only need to be run once per device.
warning
WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or your Google account, or equivalent. Please note that OEM backup solutions like Samsung and Motorola backup may not be accessible from PixelExperience once installed.
  1. Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
  2. Connect the device to your PC via USB.
  3. On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
    adb reboot bootloader

You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
  4. Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
    fastboot devices

If you don’t get any output or an error:
    • on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
    • on Linux or macOS: If you see no permissions fastboot try running fastboot as root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
  5. Now type the following command to unlock the bootloader:
    fastboot flashing unlock

info_outline
    NOTE: At this point the device may display on-screen prompts which will require interaction to continue the process of unlocking the bootloader. Please take whatever actions the device asks you to to proceed.
  6. If the device doesn’t automatically reboot, reboot it. It should now be unlocked.
  7. Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.

warning
WARNING: This platform requires the vendor boot partition to be flashed for recovery to work properly, the process to do so is described below.
  3. Flash a the downloaded images to your device by typing (replace <vendor_boot> with the actual filename!):

Temporarily booting a custom recovery using fastboot​

1. Download the PixelExperience Recovery. Simply download the latest recovery file.
  2. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
  3. On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

• on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
    • on Linux or macOS: If you see no permissions fastboot try running fastboot as root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable (preferably use a USB Type-A 2.0 one or a USB hub) and port!
    • check
      TIP: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see fastboot hanging with no output when using commands such as fastboot getvar ... , fastboot boot ..., fastboot flash ... you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
  5. Temporarily flash a recovery on your device by typing (replace <recovery_filename> with the actual filename!):
    fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img

info_outline
    NOTE: Outdated fastboot releases dropped legacy A/B support, so it might attempt to flash to boot__a / boot__b rather than boot_a / boot_b if you try to flash boot. In this case, you must update fastboot to a release newer than or equal to 31.0.2. Alternatively, you can manually specify which slot to flash to based on what slot fastboot failed to flash to. For example, if fastboot fails to flash to boot__a, you must flash to boot_a.

Installing PixelExperience from recovery​

1. Download the PixelExperience installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
  2. If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
    • With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Then use the menu to select Recovery Mode.
  3. Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
  4. Return to the main menu.
  5. Sideload the PixelExperience .zip package:
    • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
    • On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip.
      check
      TIP: Normally, adb will report Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if adb: failed to read command: Success/No error. In some cases it will report adb: failed to read command: No error or adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0 which is also fine.
  6. Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
info_outline
NOTE: The first boot usually takes no longer than 15 minutes, depending on the device. If it takes longer, you may have missed a step, otherwise feel free to get assistance
check
TIP: If the installation process reports the message "(~47%) adb: failed to read the command: No error", do not worry, the process was completed successfully and you can restart the device.
I am not connected to Pixel Experience rom in any way.
Just posting to share.
I am not providing help and am not responsible for anything that happens.
Help each other!
If a P.E. maintainer wants this down. Please do so.

Last edited:
Plus Version:

April Update: 12 Plus version is here!​

First of all we hope you all are doing well. After the last two months of delayed updates it feels good to push an update in the perfect time period!
As the title says we are here with the PixelExperience Plus version.
Clean flash is not required if coming from normal version
Now coming to the feature list for the Plus version:-
  • LiveDisplay (color profile, display mode, reading mode, color calibration)
  • Hide Notch support.
  • StatusBar shortcuts
  • Rotation settings
  • Lock screen display (media cover, music visualizer, power menu)
  • Per-app volume settings
  • Increasing ring volume
  • Different gestures
  • Power and Volume button customisations
  • Network traffic monitor
  • Brightness (brightness slider, auto brightness, brightness control)
  • Quick settings (quick pulldown, title visibility, vibrate on touch, rows, columns)
There are more stuff one can unearth – this list was just a start off for the long feature list we have.

PapaSmurf6768

Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for this, exactly what I've been looking for (stock ROM with volume button playback control, let's go!)
Flashed using instructions (factory reset, sideload). No issues, things seem to be working smoothly. Will observe battery life over the next few days but not expecting much difference either way.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

ALWA7SH6

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the nice Rom
Is there a version of PixelExperience for Pixel 5a Barbet but Android 11 (Plus edition)?

rchris494

May 7, 2011
Thanks for the nice Rom
Is there a version of PixelExperience for Pixel 5a Barbet but Android 11 (Plus edition)?
you might be able to build your own rom and switch to the branch eleven-plus, but not sure if it would actually work or not. also i am sure it would be outdated for kernel security patches and other updates. build time on my dual cpu e5-2667v2 (32 cores total), 160gb of mem, WD SN750 1tb nvme and 1gbp internet running debian bookwork with tkg kernel is about 2hrs from start to finish. i just build a twelve-plus yesterday and i was surprised that everything worked out of the box using adb sideload on the unoffical twrp. the experience recovery actually installed and worked this time. rom is very smooth or i should say smoother than it was. a few new features were added. some were moved to a different spots. magisk install was easy with the working experience recovery allowing adb sideload to flash magisk. i might actually stick with this rom for a while.

ALWA7SH6

Feb 27, 2011
you might be able to build your own rom and switch to the branch eleven-plus, but not sure if it would actually work or not. also i am sure it would be outdated for kernel security patches and other updates. build time on my dual cpu e5-2667v2 (32 cores total), 160gb of mem, WD SN750 1tb nvme and 1gbp internet running debian bookwork with tkg kernel is about 2hrs from start to finish. i just build a twelve-plus yesterday and i was surprised that everything worked out of the box using adb sideload on the unoffical twrp. the experience recovery actually installed and worked this time. rom is very smooth or i should say smoother than it was. a few new features were added. some were moved to a different spots. magisk install was easy with the working experience recovery allowing adb sideload to flash magisk. i might actually stick with this rom for a while.
Can you share it ty?

rchris494

May 7, 2011
Can you share it ty?
yeah.

steps
1. unlocked bootloader
2. flashed fresh factory image (12.1.0 (SP2A.220405.003, Apr 2022)) from google dev site (check marked full wipe & force flash all partitions)
3. waited for phone to fully boot up. did offline setup skipping everything until i hit home screen
4. went to settings enabled developer mode & usb debugging
5. rebooted to bootloader (adb reboot bootloder)
6. toggled bootloader until i seen recovery then booted into stock reocovery
7. power + vol up for 3 sec then release you should get the stock recovery menu. do a factory reset / wipe data
8. reboot back to bootloader in the menu options of stock recovery
9. boot unoffical trwp from nijel8 (fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0-barbet.img)
10. in twrp go to advanced and adb sideload. set twrp to adb sideload
11. download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJdmMDap95-vYVZEhUUrZ2m3E45Y6ARg/view?usp=sharing (sha-256 checksum) or https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJdmMDap95-vYVZEhUUrZ2m3E45Y6ARg/view?usp=sharing (untouched rom direct from pixel experience) if you don't care about checksum you can skip it.
12. adb sideload the rom (PixelExperience_Plus_barbet-12.1-20220423-2211-UNOFFICIAL.zip) note it fails at 47% and you might see a bunch of red warning on twrp. just ignore them and reboot the phone. pixel experience is now loaded on the phone. i had to do the whole process twice because twrp messed up the first time due to it not being officially up to 12 and sideload sometimes being flaky.
13. after setup was done i enabled debugging again and booted to bootloader, then recovery mode. pixel experience recovery should now be loaded. its touch screen or volume controlled. select adb sideload and side load magisk 24.3.apk or you can rename it to zip. doesnt matter. reboot phone. check app drawer. magisk will be there. if not give it a second it will pop up. tap the app to download full version. enjoy rooted & pixel experience

the rom is compiled directly from pixel experience source. i do not mod or edit anything. i just let my computer sweat at 100% usage for 2hrs and hope like hell the rom works.

i can try an eleven-plus build if you want but i doubt it will work and would probably end up bricking your phone.

this is the process i used. i take not responsibility if you brick your phone.

usually your brick is a soft brick holding power + vol up + vol down for 30sec will force restart your phone. then power off then power + vol dow to get back to bootloader so you can work with it again (factory flash or whatever)

android base is 12.1.0_r4

Screenshot_20220424-121941_Settings.png

Last edited:

ALWA7SH6

Feb 27, 2011
yeah.

steps
1. unlocked bootloader
2. flashed fresh factory image (12.1.0 (SP2A.220405.003, Apr 2022)) from google dev site (check marked full wipe & force flash all partitions)
3. waited for phone to fully boot up. did offline setup skipping everything until i hit home screen
4. went to settings enabled developer mode & usb debugging
5. rebooted to bootloader (adb reboot bootloder)
6. toggled bootloader until i seen recovery then booted into stock reocovery
7. power + vol up for 3 sec then release you should get the stock recovery menu. do a factory reset / wipe data
8. reboot back to bootloader in the menu options of stock recovery
9. boot unoffical trwp from nijel8 (fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0-barbet.img)
10. in twrp go to advanced and adb sideload. set twrp to adb sideload
11. download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJdmMDap95-vYVZEhUUrZ2m3E45Y6ARg/view?usp=sharing (sha-256 checksum) or https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJdmMDap95-vYVZEhUUrZ2m3E45Y6ARg/view?usp=sharing (untouched rom direct from pixel experience) if you don't care about checksum you can skip it.
12. adb sideload the rom (PixelExperience_Plus_barbet-12.1-20220423-2211-UNOFFICIAL.zip) note it fails at 47% and you might see a bunch of red warning on twrp. just ignore them and reboot the phone. pixel experience is now loaded on the phone. i had to do the whole process twice because twrp messed up the first time due to it not being officially up to 12 and sideload sometimes being flaky.
13. after setup was done i enabled debugging again and booted to bootloader, then recovery mode. pixel experience recovery should now be loaded. its touch screen or volume controlled. select adb sideload and side load magisk 24.3.apk or you can rename it to zip. doesnt matter. reboot phone. check app drawer. magisk will be there. if not give it a second it will pop up. tap the app to download full version. enjoy rooted & pixel experience

the rom is compiled directly from pixel experience source. i do not mod or edit anything. i just let my computer sweat at 100% usage for 2hrs and hope like hell the rom works.

i can try an eleven-plus build if you want but i doubt it will work and would probably end up bricking your phone.

this is the process i used. i take not responsibility if you brick your phone.

usually your brick is a soft brick holding power + vol up + vol down for 30sec will force restart your phone. then power off then power + vol dow to get back to bootloader so you can work with it again (factory flash or whatever)

android base is 12.1.0_r4

View attachment 5597359

(a few new features were added)

Like what?

(a few new features were added)

Like what?
Plus Version:

First of all we hope you all are doing well. After the last two months of delayed updates it feels good to push an update in the perfect time period!

• Hide Notch support.
  • StatusBar shortcuts
  • Rotation settings
  • Increasing ring volume
  • Different gestures
  • Quick settings (quick pulldown, title visibility, vibrate on touch, rows, columns)
There are more stuff one can unearth – this list was just a start off for the long feature list we have.

predragiPredrag

Jan 8, 2012
How is fingerprint sensor working, does it also have lag if AOD is not enabled? March update introduced 2 seconds delay after FP sensor registers your finger before it shows you your home screen. If you use AOD that issue is not present.

fackstrot

Jan 10, 2019
Chechnya
Plus Version:

• Hide Notch support.
  • StatusBar shortcuts
  • Rotation settings
  • Increasing ring volume
  • Different gestures
I noticed that sometimes the scanner simply refuses to understand the finger, I also noticed that when AOD is on, if you put the phone with the screen down, it does not go out, but if you turn up the screen and close the proximity sensor, it goes out

predragiPredrag

Jan 8, 2012
I noticed that sometimes the scanner simply refuses to understand the finger, I also noticed that when AOD is on, if you put the phone with the screen down, it does not go out, but if you turn up the screen and close the proximity sensor, it goes out
Please open bug on pixel experience GitHub, since main developer is not following this thread and PE community usually only fixes issues reported on official page.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Pixel 5a Barbet

What is this?
    PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 12L

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    FM radio
    Fingerprint reader
    Face unlock
    NFC
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED

Downloads:

Stay tuned

Our Telegram channel
    Our blog

Install PixelExperience on barbet

WARNING: I copy and pasted thes instuctions. Please go to the offical guide for your device Barbet https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/barbet/install/

WARNING: These instructions only work if you follow every section and step precisely.
    Do not continue after something fails!

Basic requirements​

1. Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
    2. Make sure your computer has adb and fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
    3. Enable USB debugging on your device.
    warning
    WARNING: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 12 firmware.
    This is not necessarily the newest available version! Please up- or downgrade to the required version before proceeding (guides can be found on the internet!).

warning

Unlocking the bootloader​

info_outline
    NOTE: The steps below only need to be run once per device.
    warning
    WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or your Google account, or equivalent. Please note that OEM backup solutions like Samsung and Motorola backup may not be accessible from PixelExperience once installed.
    1. Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
    2. Connect the device to your PC via USB.
      adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

• on Linux or macOS: If you see no permissions fastboot try running fastboot as root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
    5. Now type the following command to unlock the bootloader:
      fastboot flashing unlock

info_outline
      NOTE: At this point the device may display on-screen prompts which will require interaction to continue the process of unlocking the bootloader. Please take whatever actions the device asks you to to proceed.
    6. If the device doesn’t automatically reboot, reboot it. It should now be unlocked.
    7. Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.

warning

Temporarily booting a custom recovery using fastboot​

1. Download the PixelExperience Recovery. Simply download the latest recovery file.
    2. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
      adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

• on Linux or macOS: If you see no permissions fastboot try running fastboot as root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable (preferably use a USB Type-A 2.0 one or a USB hub) and port!
      • check
        TIP: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see fastboot hanging with no output when using commands such as fastboot getvar ... , fastboot boot ..., fastboot flash ... you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
    5. Temporarily flash a recovery on your device by typing (replace <recovery_filename> with the actual filename!):
      fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img

info_outline
      NOTE: Outdated fastboot releases dropped legacy A/B support, so it might attempt to flash to boot__a / boot__b rather than boot_a / boot_b if you try to flash boot. In this case, you must update fastboot to a release newer than or equal to 31.0.2. Alternatively, you can manually specify which slot to flash to based on what slot fastboot failed to flash to. For example, if fastboot fails to flash to boot__a, you must flash to boot_a.

Installing PixelExperience from recovery​

1. Download the PixelExperience installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
    2. If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
      • With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Then use the menu to select Recovery Mode.
    3. Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
    4. Return to the main menu.
    5. Sideload the PixelExperience .zip package:
      • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
      • On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip.
        check
        TIP: Normally, adb will report Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if adb: failed to read command: Success/No error. In some cases it will report adb: failed to read command: No error or adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0 which is also fine.
    6. Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
    info_outline
    NOTE: The first boot usually takes no longer than 15 minutes, depending on the device. If it takes longer, you may have missed a step, otherwise feel free to get assistance
    check
    TIP: If the installation process reports the message "(~47%) adb: failed to read the command: No error", do not worry, the process was completed successfully and you can restart the device.
    I am not connected to Pixel Experience rom in any way.
    Just posting to share.
    I am not providing help and am not responsible for anything that happens.
    Help each other!
    If a P.E. maintainer wants this down. Please do so.
    How do I fix pixel launcher has stopped working?
    (Pixel launcher keeps crashing five or six times)
    try to go to settings -> apps and delete cache and data of pixel launcher, basically reseting it :) And can you use smaller font, it looks like you are shouting :D
    Plus Version:

Clean flash is not required if coming from normal version
    • Hide Notch support.
    • StatusBar shortcuts
    • Rotation settings
    • Increasing ring volume
    • Different gestures
    Thanks for the nice Rom
    Just to be clear. Not a maintainer. Not affiliated with PixelExperience. Not Responsible for your choices!
    Just creating a thread to spread the word my friends 😎 🤟👍