[ROM][12 MAR] VillainROM v13.0 Release * WWE * Android 2.1 *

Search This thread

Neo Cortex

Aug 10, 2008
I have a problem with Pimlical on this ROM. When I start it I get the following error message:

'Error. No calendars.
No standard Android calendars found'

If I go into the 'More' menu on Pimlical and press 'Select Calendars' then the program exits. I can select calendars in the HTC calendar and also using 'Pure
Calendar' widget. It just seems to be Pimlical which isn't working.

I wonder if in this ROM the calendars are named or handled in a non-standard way?

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
Just tried Jorte and this force-closes as well

Razje

Sep 7, 2010
Can i use an other Kernel on VR13, is yes which ones.

Or is the standard VR13 kernel good enough.
i miss conservative and smartass governors

RiggerofRiV

Oct 19, 2009
I get an instant fc in Titanium on this rom and on elelinux 2.1 sense rom. Don't know how to fix that issue. Want a fast and stable 2.1 sense rom so I tried both, but without titanium to restore and backup my apps its senseless.

Titanium was the first app I installed after flashing. So I think no other problem like rom(s) vs titanium could be.

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Hei there,

Yes, you can basically install any other kernel that supports 2.1 roms. For example Flykernel 12A which has smartass governor (was build originally by erasmusx). I tried it myself and i wind up having market problems (not able to install anything). So restored, but my problem was still there. Now i'm forced to reflash the entire rom.

Btw, always do nandroid backup. I personally don't recommend to change the kernel. The default one is the best atm for our hero. Long lasting battery (i had 3 days and 9 hours), and no lag at all. Using ondemand with 356 - 691. What do you want more?

Regarding Titanium backup: do you get the FC's when you're trying to restore your apps? Because the issue is well known under 2.1 custom roms when the user tries to restore all his apps. Try to restore the apps without data on Titanium backup or just manually install them like i did.

RiggerofRiV

Oct 19, 2009
Hei there,

Regarding Titanium backup: do you get the FC's when you're trying to restore your apps? Because the issue is well known under 2.1 custom roms when the user tries to restore all his apps. Try to restore the apps without data on Titanium backup or just manually install them like i did.

Yes I know this issue, but I have another one. I start the app and get a instant fc (after 5 seconds) without seeing anything from the app. If its right, that I only can restore the apps without data in any way, I better use another non 2.1 rom.
Thanks so far.

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Yes I know this issue, but I have another one. I start the app and get a instant fc (after 5 seconds) without seeing anything from the app. If its right, that I only can restore the apps without data in any way, I better use another non 2.1 rom.
Thanks so far.

Yeah, you cannot install apps + data if you come from a newer version of android. Its like you want to install Fifa 2010 on top of Fifa 2002 and expect the game to work with the teams from 2010 but with the engine from 2002.
This is a regular FC from the app because its working on 2.1 and not on a newer version of android how it was before (if you come from a newer version).
I personally don't have anything with this. I've just installed all my apps with no data, fresh install to work perfect. If i have something to back up i'll do that (hence Go Sms pro has the possibilities of backing up your sms's) and resolve the problem.

Razje

Sep 7, 2010
Hei there,

Yes, you can basically install any other kernel that supports 2.1 roms. For example Flykernel 12A which has smartass governor (was build originally by erasmusx). I tried it myself and i wind up having market problems (not able to install anything). So restored, but my problem was still there. Now i'm forced to reflash the entire rom.

Btw, always do nandroid backup. I personally don't recommend to change the kernel. The default one is the best atm for our hero. Long lasting battery (i had 3 days and 9 hours), and no lag at all. Using ondemand with 356 - 691. What do you want more?

Okay thx for the info mate :)

I'll stick with the standard VR13 kernel
Now running 176/614 ondemand
and a Screen Off profile at 19/352 ondemand

Now at 34hr uptime with 32% left

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Waiting for VillainROM v14.0 with new market and new maps :x.This is still the best 2.1 ROM

Gonna be waiting a while, as new market is for 2.3+ iirc.

Sorry to say it, but the hero has finally reached its natural conclusion on 2.1 and 2.2 based ROMs imo. I think the only future is in custom 2.3 ROMs, and given the RAM restrictions, user experience can be poor.

RiggerofRiV

Oct 19, 2009
This is a regular FC from the app because its working on 2.1 and not on a newer version of android how it was before (if you come from a newer version).
I personally don't have anything with this. I've just installed all my apps with no data, fresh install to work perfect. If i have something to back up i'll do that (hence Go Sms pro has the possibilities of backing up your sms's) and resolve the problem.

Thanks, makes a little sense. SMS an call log isnt the problem (this backups work), but the savegames and configuration of some apps would be nice.

btw. titanium was a clean install from market so it can't be a problem with 2.1. Only if titanium doesnt work in 2.1 it makes sense. But it should work from 1.5 to 3.1. if I understand the requirements correctly.

EDIT: Find the solution for the fc on startup. There is a folder in /data on sd card named "com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup". I deleted that folder and Titanium starts like a charm. I think there is a problem with reading settings from another (rom) Titanium installation. I set the backup count to 10 in the other rom, what I have never done before. I think that forces this issue. Now I can restore my apps step by step and it works just fine.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT2: Some apps do not work, as you suggested, but many do. It's not the elegance way to do so, but it is possible to restore apps from newer roms. By now any of my apps work as I want with a little hand work.

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Thanks, makes a little sense. SMS an call log isnt the problem (this backups work), but the savegames and configuration of some apps would be nice.

btw. titanium was a clean install from market so it can't be a problem with 2.1. Only if titanium doesnt work in 2.1 it makes sense. But it should work from 1.5 to 3.1. if I understand the requirements correctly.

EDIT: Find the solution for the fc on startup. There is a folder in /data on sd card named "com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup". I deleted that folder and Titanium starts like a charm. I think there is a problem with reading settings from another (rom) Titanium installation. I set the backup count to 10 in the other rom, what I have never done before. I think that forces this issue. Now I can restore my apps step by step and it works just fine.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT2: Some apps do not work, as you suggested, but many do. It's not the elegance way to do so, but it is possible to restore apps from newer roms. By now any of my apps work as I want with a little hand work.

Thank you for telling the solution on this problem. As pulser said, Hero has just reached his natural 'death' and painfully but slow, the Hero community on xda will cease to exist or it will move on to a newer phone such as SGS 2.
I've installed VR13 with ADW Launcher Ex and it works flawlessly. No lag at all and i didn't OC'ed it yet to the max (691). Running now 356-614 on demand with a screen off profile.
I guess, since my phone runs so damn smooth, that this will be the last rom I ever flash. Since there will be no more 2.1 or 2.2 custom rom's develop for my beloved hero I don't see a point to start installing 2.3 because its pretty clear that it isn't for our phone. I had it for 2 months and it lags like sh%#$t.

And 2.2 has poor battery life. So, stuck to 2.1 boys because its the best rom you can find for our phones!

RiggerofRiV

Oct 19, 2009
You're right 2.2 and above wont work smooth on the Hero, but I changed the rom to an older one with friendstream and some other cool stuff http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=702398 I will give it a try because it seems to be the only rom I found that works with my n router and the game performance is much better than with any other sense rom I tested. I used non sense roms the last half of a year but I missed sense like I never thought. Now I use my Hero for the next months with fun and change to a newer device in fall or later. I hope my girlfriend will still use the Hero with honor for a long time ;)

Dark Emotion

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
You're right 2.2 and above wont work smooth on the Hero, but I changed the rom to an older one with friendstream and some other cool stuff http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=702398 I will give it a try because it seems to be the only rom I found that works with my n router and the game performance is much better than with any other sense rom I tested. I used non sense roms the last half of a year but I missed sense like I never thought. Now I use my Hero for the next months with fun and change to a newer device in fall or later. I hope my girlfriend will still use the Hero with honor for a long time ;)

I agree with you, that is a great 2.1 sense rom but you should really flash new kernel because that rom comes with outdated flykernel. Get the latest and enjoy :p

djdavis

Jan 5, 2010
I don't know why, but since yesterday my phone is saying that the phone storage is full, but a2sd is working :S

RaiderX303

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2009
Merseyside
thought id give an update on the VR14 front, right now a new release isnt planned, the hero's hardware is just too limited for the newer android versions. The stock kernel released with this rom is the best for it, no improvements can be made with a new kernel that are not already included. Anyone having issues if you can PM me and i will try replicate and fix

timbohobbs

Aug 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
thought id give an update on the VR14 front, right now a new release isnt planned, the hero's hardware is just too limited for the newer android versions. The stock kernel released with this rom is the best for it, no improvements can be made with a new kernel that are not already included. Anyone having issues if you can PM me and i will try replicate and fix

There's a shame, imo the best Rom so far for hero. Thanks for Rom RaiderX, if you're ever bored I do reckon the hero could handle 2.2 sense and the camera is fixed too. But I guess 13 will be unlucky for some : ( ... still, thanks again, have tried them all but have kept coming back since march : )

G@rf13lt

Nov 16, 2009
I'm giving my phone to someone since I have upgraded but it's doing some weird things since I reinstalled VR13. Maybe someone here can tell me what is going on and how to fix it.
Here is my steps:
1. I inserted a 512MB micro SD and repartitioned it to 32MB swap-size and 256MB ext2 in the recovery menu.
2. I wiped everything (data/factory reset, dalvik-cache, SD:ext partition, battery stats and rotate settings) in the recovery menu.
3. Installed VR13
4. Restarted the phone and this is where the problem starts. The phone is extremely slow once it's past the bootup screen. The white screen with htc written in green is on the background for a good 5min. Then I go through the whole setup process where you have to type words etc.
Once that is finished, it shows the following message for about 15min:
"Loading...
It may take several minutes to complete, please wait"
When it finally gets past that, half of the default widgets on the 7 homescreens isn't loaded, like the time on the home screen etc. The phone also feels slugish.
5. I then restarted the phone to see if it will be better, but shows the loading message again for about 5min before going past that.

Is it because of the SD card's small swap-size and ext2 or what is going on?

Thanks!!

JieeHD

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 29, 2010
Glasgow
I'm giving my phone to someone since I have upgraded but it's doing some weird things since I reinstalled VR13. Maybe someone here can tell me what is going on and how to fix it.
Here is my steps:
1. I inserted a 512MB micro SD and repartitioned it to 32MB swap-size and 256MB ext2 in the recovery menu.
2. I wiped everything (data/factory reset, dalvik-cache, SD:ext partition, battery stats and rotate settings) in the recovery menu.
3. Installed VR13
4. Restarted the phone and this is where the problem starts. The phone is extremely slow once it's past the bootup screen. The white screen with htc written in green is on the background for a good 5min. Then I go through the whole setup process where you have to type words etc.
Once that is finished, it shows the following message for about 15min:
"Loading...
It may take several minutes to complete, please wait"
When it finally gets past that, half of the default widgets on the 7 homescreens isn't loaded, like the time on the home screen etc. The phone also feels slugish.
5. I then restarted the phone to see if it will be better, but shows the loading message again for about 5min before going past that.

Is it because of the SD card's small swap-size and ext2 or what is going on?

Thanks!!

I wouldn't recommend using swap at all, re-partition but only using sd-ext and not swap.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

Reactions: G@rf13lt

junooni

Jul 2, 2007
Dubai
Thanks! That did the trick!!!

been on villianrom for a long time and just upgraded to VR13. Loving the super performance.

the only issue I'm facing is with Skype. it has never worked for me and same is the case with this version. the sound breaks like crazy due to the device memory. overclocking doesn't fix it.

has anyone else been experiencing this issue and is there a fix or should I forget Skype on my Hero?

other than this, a brilliant ROM!

Top Liked Posts