[ROM][17-11-19][Guhl] Vision - Sailfish OS 2.1.2.3 [Alpha 8]

Search This thread

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hi,

This are some pictures of Sailfish OS Version 1.x and 2.x ported to the Vision. This is still very Alpha but I wanted to show you that I am working on it again and that there is some progress.

G2_SF_20140923.png
vision_2-0-4-13.png
vision_2-0-4-13_1.png

Download:
Sailfish OS Version 1.x

Sailfish OS Version 2.x

Sailfish OS Version 2.1.x.x (current)
ROM cm-11-20171119-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip (for version 2.1.x.x)
Alpha 8: hybris-boot-vision-29171119.img (current boot)
Alpha 8: sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 (current rom)
Installation prior to 2.1.x.x:

Remark: The installation of the correct CM (10.1 for SF 1.x and 11 for SF 2.x) image is only necessary once. So if you already did this the first time you can skip steps 2 and 4.2
1. Boot into Android Recovery and make sure that the sdcard is mounted
2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-11-20161225-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip /storage/sdcard0/
3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sailfishos-vision-release-2.0.4.13-guhl161206.zip /storage/sdcard0/
4. In the Recovery on the device:
4.1. Clear data and cache (factory reset)
4.2. Install the CM release by picking the CM image (this is needed so that the correct version of the binary libraries and firmware files are in place)
4.3. Install Sailfish OS by picking the SFOS image (this will take quite some time)
5. Reboot the device

Installation for 2.1.x.x:
The installation of the 2.1.x.x does not work by regular recovery method. Below you find instructions on how to install it manually.
2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-11-20171119-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip /storage/sdcard0/
3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 /storage/sdcard0/
4.2. Install the CM release by picking the CM image (this is needed so that the correct version of the binary libraries and firmware files are in place)
5. Mount /data
6. On you PC open a adb shell to the device and in the shell do:
Code:
mkdir -p /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
tar --numeric-owner -xvjf /storage/sdcard0/sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 -C /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
When it's done -> exit the adb shell and boot the phone do bootloader (i.e. using "adb reboot bootloader")
7. flash the boot using fastboot
Code:
fastboot flash boot hybris-boot-vision-29171119.img
Afterwards boot the phone (i.e. using "fastboot reboot")

After the initial boot (that will take some time) the language selection and initial setup will show (it might happen that the screen turns of before the language selection comes up -> press power from time to time.
Then it will take some time and you will be asked to enter a security code twice.
At the step where it asks you to set up a Jolla Account you can skip this (the option to skip it is at the end of the text - scroll down do see the line)
After that it will take a while and then the Jolla tutorial should come up. You can skip the tutorial by clicking the corners of the screen in the following sequence: Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right, Bottom-Left.
Remark
- During the tutorial the screen will hang several times (you might better skip it). The best thing to go forward is to press the power button to turn the screen off and on and then continue. This is very annoying, but I did not trace done the reason for this hangs yet.

- In Settings - Text Input: change the layout of the hardware keyboard to T-Mobile G2
- Proximity sensor does not work properly yet (it's stuck). Therefore one can not answer an incoming call as the screen will always stay blank. The proximity sensor can be disabled by triple pressing the powerbutton (phone will vibrate as a confirmation). After this phone calls work.
- Overclocking: in a terminal (ssh or telnet), after gaining root via devel-su you can set the maximum cpu scaling frequency with the following command: echo 1516800 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

This is still a Alpha ROM so do not expect it to work properly. See the change-log about the current status.

Change-log:
Current Version
Version 171119
  • complete rebuild based on Sailfish OS 2.1.2.3
  • switched screen composition to surfaceflinger -> screen does not hang anymore
Version 2.0.x.x

CM-11 Version 20161225
  • fixed Camera support in the basic CM-11 rom (did not work before) this will be needed to make Camera work in SF
Version 161206
  • mobile data connection works. (needs to be enabled in settings after first reboot)
  • added zram swap
Version 161125
  • updated ofono (telephony server) to 1.8. Disabled 4G. (phone needs reboot after initial setup to connect to network)
  • Added telephony app
Version 161120
  • initial working port of 2.0.4.13 based on a new CM11 rom
  • Currently not working: mobile data, camera, ...

Old Versions

Version 160116
  • fixed layout of the hardware keyboard (for the regular keys and based on the english G2 layout)
  • improved screen hangs somewhat
  • Added Openrepos warehouse
Version 160102
  • disabled proximity sensor in mce
  • fixed statfs access to battery status by mce
Version 151231
  • working: mobile data connection
Version 151230
  • Sailfish OS version 2.0.0.10 based on CM11
  • Working: screen (some hangs), cell phone connection, sound (including phone calls), wifi, most of the sensors, hw-keyboard (without proper mapping)
  • Not working: mobile data connection, camera
Version 141109
  • Sailfish OS update to 1.1.0.39
Version 141028
  • Keyboard mapping for the hardware keyboard (G2 based)
Version 141025
  • Sound (output only, no routing)
  • GSM - Incoming/Outgoing calls (but unusable as screen turns off caused by missing proximity sensor and no sound in)
  • SMS - Incoming/Outgoing (usable besides screen distortions cause by the virtual keyboard)
  • Mobile Data connection
  • Warehouse pre-installed to install additional apps
Version 141001
  • Screen (with some distortions in some places)
  • Touchscreen
  • Keyboard (very basic)
  • WiFi

Credits:
sledges, piggz, alin, mal- et al. from the #sailfish-porters IRC channel on freenode
These guys are doing amazing work and their competence and readiness to help reminds me of the good old days on #G2ROOT.
Without their support this would not have been possible!

Have fun - Guhl

Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Love to see your work again @guhl99 always amazing!
Be sure to test this when I can spare some time!
Keep it up!

Mince69Meat

Feb 9, 2006
Got 2 device not doing anything if u need out testing

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Last edited:

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Reactions: nisu4717

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Status update

Hi,

it's been quite some time since i posted the last message and the first ROM.

I have been very busy and fighting hard to get GSM and mobile data working. That has been a beast as the ofono used by Sailfish is only implemented for RIL V6 and our devices library is RIL V4. That took a lot of debugging testing and backporting to make this work. There are still some nasty hacks in the code but I do have a data connection, can do outgoing and incomming calls (well kind of), send and receive text messages.

The "kind of" regarding calls is because sound is at it's start. We do have basic sound output and if you install the codecs you can even play mp3s. But sound input is completely broken and the sound routing (which speaker/headset) is not even started yet.

Another problem with calls is that all sensors work but the proximity sensor. And because of that the display shuts off immediately after starting or receiving a call because it thinks the proximity sensor is covered.

spiiroin has been working on making the led work but thats untested.

So you see we have been really working hard and sleeping little! I will try to release a Alpha 1 in the next days!

Have fun - Guhl

arunal_123

Oct 2, 2012
I still have my DZ, its a spare phone lying in my drawer. Will surely try and let you know.
And by the way, I love experimenting.

Thanks...

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Pre-Alpha 4

Hi,

i updated the OP and released a Pre-Alpha 4 ROM. It's an update to Sailfish OS 1.1.0.39.
I did not test it a lot yet so let's see.
And I would like to thank everybody for there feedback and "Thanks" (now i finally have more thanks then postings).

Have fun - Guhl

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
i updated the OP and released a Pre-Alpha 4 ROM. It's an update to Sailfish OS 1.1.0.39.
Hi, i did some testing now and have to tell you that this is not very usable as the current mce has support for a cover switch (turns of screen when cover is closed) and our hw-keyboard is treated as a cover switch. So once you opened the keyboard you can only use the phone with keyboard open as if you close it mce thinks you closed a screen cover and turns of the screen (and you can't turn it on with the power key anymore). I will have to rework that logic.
Have fun - Guhl

Myrmidon83

Jun 19, 2011
Hi. I decided to try this as I'm seriously debating a Jolla phone and wanted to see how it is. I like it a lot!

Just wondering if your are still working on this?

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hi. I decided to try this as I'm seriously debating a Jolla phone and wanted to see how it is. I like it a lot!

Just wondering if your are still working on this?

Hi,
yes I am (not very active as I am very busy with my daytime job) but at the moment it is more unstable then ever so I did not upload anything,
Have fun - Guhl

Last edited:

Ajax1337

Apr 14, 2014
@guhl99 Hi, i tried flashing your port of sailfish and after the flashing couldnt mount system and data partitions and twrp reports no OS is installed. If you could be of any assistance it will be greatly appreciated mate.

Device HTC Desire Z
HBoot 0.84.2000
TWRP 2.6.3.0

Any other information you need just ask! Thank you in advance.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Release SF 2.0.0.10 Alpha 1

Hi,

I did a complete new port bases on CM-11 and SF 2.0.0.10. It works a lot better than the 1.x builds but i.e. mobile data connection that was already working on 1.x is broken now. I will keep working on this, because if i fix the keyboard mapping (should be easy) and the mobile data connection this phone is going to be may daily driver again.
I really miss the keyboard :)

Have fun - Guhl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This are some pictures of Sailfish OS Version 1.x and 2.x ported to the Vision. This is still very Alpha but I wanted to show you that I am working on it again and that there is some progress.

G2_SF_20140923.png
    vision_2-0-4-13.png
    vision_2-0-4-13_1.png

Download:
    Sailfish OS Version 1.x

Sailfish OS Version 2.x

Sailfish OS Version 2.1.x.x (current)
    ROM cm-11-20171119-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip (for version 2.1.x.x)
    Alpha 8: hybris-boot-vision-29171119.img (current boot)
    Alpha 8: sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 (current rom)
    Installation prior to 2.1.x.x:

Remark: The installation of the correct CM (10.1 for SF 1.x and 11 for SF 2.x) image is only necessary once. So if you already did this the first time you can skip steps 2 and 4.2
    2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-11-20161225-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip /storage/sdcard0/
    3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sailfishos-vision-release-2.0.4.13-guhl161206.zip /storage/sdcard0/
    4.3. Install Sailfish OS by picking the SFOS image (this will take quite some time)
    5. Reboot the device

Installation for 2.1.x.x:
    The installation of the 2.1.x.x does not work by regular recovery method. Below you find instructions on how to install it manually.
    2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-11-20171119-UNOFFICIAL-vision.zip /storage/sdcard0/
    3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 /storage/sdcard0/
    5. Mount /data
    6. On you PC open a adb shell to the device and in the shell do:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
    tar --numeric-owner -xvjf /storage/sdcard0/sfe-vision-2.1.2.3-guhl171119.tar.bz2 -C /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
    When it's done -> exit the adb shell and boot the phone do bootloader (i.e. using "adb reboot bootloader")
    7. flash the boot using fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot hybris-boot-vision-29171119.img
    Afterwards boot the phone (i.e. using "fastboot reboot")

After the initial boot (that will take some time) the language selection and initial setup will show (it might happen that the screen turns of before the language selection comes up -> press power from time to time.
    Then it will take some time and you will be asked to enter a security code twice.
    At the step where it asks you to set up a Jolla Account you can skip this (the option to skip it is at the end of the text - scroll down do see the line)
    After that it will take a while and then the Jolla tutorial should come up. You can skip the tutorial by clicking the corners of the screen in the following sequence: Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right, Bottom-Left.
    Remark
    - During the tutorial the screen will hang several times (you might better skip it). The best thing to go forward is to press the power button to turn the screen off and on and then continue. This is very annoying, but I did not trace done the reason for this hangs yet.

- In Settings - Text Input: change the layout of the hardware keyboard to T-Mobile G2
    - Proximity sensor does not work properly yet (it's stuck). Therefore one can not answer an incoming call as the screen will always stay blank. The proximity sensor can be disabled by triple pressing the powerbutton (phone will vibrate as a confirmation). After this phone calls work.
    - Overclocking: in a terminal (ssh or telnet), after gaining root via devel-su you can set the maximum cpu scaling frequency with the following command: echo 1516800 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

This is still a Alpha ROM so do not expect it to work properly. See the change-log about the current status.

Change-log:
    Current Version
    Version 171119
    • complete rebuild based on Sailfish OS 2.1.2.3
    • switched screen composition to surfaceflinger -> screen does not hang anymore
    Version 2.0.x.x

CM-11 Version 20161225
    • fixed Camera support in the basic CM-11 rom (did not work before) this will be needed to make Camera work in SF
    Version 161206
    • mobile data connection works. (needs to be enabled in settings after first reboot)
    • added zram swap
    Version 161125
    • updated ofono (telephony server) to 1.8. Disabled 4G. (phone needs reboot after initial setup to connect to network)
    • Added telephony app
    Version 161120
    • initial working port of 2.0.4.13 based on a new CM11 rom
    • Currently not working: mobile data, camera, ...

Old Versions

Version 160116
    • fixed layout of the hardware keyboard (for the regular keys and based on the english G2 layout)
    • improved screen hangs somewhat
    • Added Openrepos warehouse
    Version 160102
    • disabled proximity sensor in mce
    • fixed statfs access to battery status by mce
    Version 151231
    • working: mobile data connection
    Version 151230
    • Sailfish OS version 2.0.0.10 based on CM11
    • Working: screen (some hangs), cell phone connection, sound (including phone calls), wifi, most of the sensors, hw-keyboard (without proper mapping)
    • Not working: mobile data connection, camera
    Version 141109
    • Sailfish OS update to 1.1.0.39
    Version 141028
    • Keyboard mapping for the hardware keyboard (G2 based)
    Version 141025
    • Sound (output only, no routing)
    • GSM - Incoming/Outgoing calls (but unusable as screen turns off caused by missing proximity sensor and no sound in)
    • SMS - Incoming/Outgoing (usable besides screen distortions cause by the virtual keyboard)
    • Mobile Data connection
    • Warehouse pre-installed to install additional apps
    Version 141001
    • Screen (with some distortions in some places)
    • Touchscreen
    • Keyboard (very basic)
    • WiFi

Credits:
    sledges, piggz, alin, mal- et al. from the #sailfish-porters IRC channel on freenode
    These guys are doing amazing work and their competence and readiness to help reminds me of the good old days on #G2ROOT.
    Without their support this would not have been possible!

Have fun - Guhl
    Hi, i did some testing now and have to tell you that this is not very usable as the current mce has support for a cover switch (turns of screen when cover is closed) and our hw-keyboard is treated as a cover switch. So once you opened the keyboard you can only use the phone with keyboard open as if you close it mce thinks you closed a screen cover and turns of the screen (and you can't turn it on with the power key anymore). I will have to rework that logic.
    Have fun - Guhl
    Sailfish OS 1.0.8.19 [pre alpha]

Hi,

i did release the first pre alpha ROM (see the OP)

Have fun - Guhl
    Pre-Alpha 2

Hi,
    i updated the OP and released a Pre-Alpha 2 ROM. See change-log.
    Have fun - Guhl
    Pre-Alpha 3

Hi,
    i updated the OP and released a Pre-Alpha 3 ROM. It's only a minor change (hardware keyboard mapping) but still.
    Have fun - Guhl