[ROM][17/7/23][4.4.4] SlimKat | The slimmest & most secure KitKat ROM for HTC Desire!

Search This thread

spezi77

Recognized Developer /Inactive RC
Jan 27, 2013
/home/less

senseii

Jul 7, 2010
HTC Desire
Moto X
Hey, unfortunately I don't have hope for HTC Desire. It doesn't mean that Android Go is going to work on HTC Desire.
However, I have moved on to a newer device. So, I am no longer up-to-date with HTC bravo developments.
Have a nice day ;)
Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Labs

Thanks so much for all of the years of hard work that you put into the HTC Desire!

Reactions: ze7zez and spezi77

renziago

Nov 10, 2020
I know it has been a while since the last comment, but I recently dug up my old desire.
I’ve tried flashing this rom, but the phone gets stuck while booting. The slimkat logo keeps being shown.
Rebooting did nothing as the device just repeats the same symptoms.
Is there any solution to this?
I also flashed the hboot from this post.

spezi77

Recognized Developer /Inactive RC
Jan 27, 2013
/home/less
Evervolv AOSP nightly 4.4 from the Evervolv Team is much better than this ROM!!!
Hey little boy!
In the future, please think twice about what you want to describe in your post. It shows your lack of respect. Nobody asked you to compare this ROM with others. It's fair if you let everyone make up their own minds.

P.S.: And by the way, Evervolv are my early heroes in the HTC Bravo custom rom scene.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ze7zez

Ulumia

Dec 21, 2021
Samara,Russia
HTC Desire
HTC Desire C
Hey little boy!
In the future, please think twice about what you want to describe in your post. It shows your lack of respect. Nobody asked you to compare this ROM with others. It's fair if you let everyone make up their own minds.

P.S.: And by the way, Evervolv are my early heroes in the HTC Bravo custom rom scene.
I apologize for this post
After a few days on Evervolv AOSP nightly 4.4 I got the same bugs as on SlimKat
So SlimKat is a better ROM because it is configurable and swap enabled by default.
Now I am on CM6

Brookbond

Oct 2, 2007
UK
This ROM is still going strong on my old Desire, but I have a question. I am now needing to keep the screen on permanently to satisfy the requirements of another app I am running 24/7 on this device.

Just to put you in the picture, this phone now sits on my bench 24/7 providing a gateway to the internet and runs permanently, but it only works properly when the screen is on (a requirement of the app I am using). Being an AMOLED screen, luckily this means low power consumption and will run for long periods on its own battery, and in conjunction with a Screen Filter app, the screen brightness can be turned almost completely down, even when it’s still on.

I have discovered the setting in developer options to keep the screen on whilst charging, but I would like the option to keep the screen on permanently even when not charging. The maximum time I can choose to do this within the developer option settings is 30 minutes, but I cannot see any ‘always on’ option when not charging.

Is it possible to do this, either by modifying a setting in android itself, or by adding a light weight third party app? Ideally I would like to do this without adding another app if possible, but I am open to any suggestions to achieve this.

The requirement is just to cover the eventuality of a power cut where the screen would go off after 30 minutes without external power. The battery is good and lasts many hours on battery.

I would appreciate any input from anyone with knowledge of this. Thank you all for reading. This is a great ROM, and continues to run well. Thanks to the original developer of this ROM. Fantastic job!

Hope you can help. Tony

Last edited:

Sage

Dec 12, 2005
AU
Xiaomi Mi 11
This ROM is still going strong on my old Desire, but I have a question. I am now needing to keep the screen on permanently to satisfy the requirements of another app I am running 24/7 on this device.

Just to put you in the picture, this phone now sits on my bench 24/7 providing a gateway to the internet and runs permanently, but it only works properly when the screen is on (a requirement of the app I am using). Being an AMOLED screen, luckily this means low power consumption and will run for long periods on its own battery, and in conjunction with a Screen Filter app, the screen brightness can be turned almost completely down, even when it’s still on.

I have discovered the setting in developer options to keep the screen on whilst charging, but I would like the option to keep the screen on permanently even when not charging. The maximum time I can choose to do this within the developer option settings is 30 minutes, but I cannot see any ‘always on’ option when not charging.

Is it possible to do this, either by modifying a setting in android itself, or by adding a light weight third party app? Ideally I would like to do this without adding another app if possible, but I am open to any suggestions to achieve this.

The requirement is just to cover the eventuality of a power cut where the screen would go off after 30 minutes without external power. The battery is good and lasts many hours on battery.

I would appreciate any input from anyone with knowledge of this. Thank you all for reading. This is a great ROM, and continues to run well. Thanks to the original developer of this ROM. Fantastic job!

Hope you can help. Tony
Use tasker. You can set non standard timeouts for display

(...)
(...)
Only 2.7 MB after installation. I don't know of a better method and a smaller application.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A word by the device maintainer:
    I am very enthusiastic to provide you with an unofficial SlimRom for the HTC Desire. Big thanks to original authors. This is currently by far the most relevant KitKat ROM available for the HTC Desire, so if you like it fast and fancy, this is the one for you.

Info about SlimRoms:
    SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
    • The Real Dark Slim
      • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
    • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
      • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
    • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
      • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
    • SlimCenter
      • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
    • Camera Features
      • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Downloads - Download the rom and gapps.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.
    1. Recommendations/Requirements:
    - An hboot with at least 250mb on system. These include stock hboot or @jmcclue's 250/5/182 hboot - md5 7393e92a6d4f6b6060d236c27d944ad3

How to flash an hboot (simpliest way):
    1) download the alpha jelly zip and ensure its integrity by checking against the md5
    2) save the alpha jelly zip to the root of your SD card and rename it into PB99IMG.zip
    3) reboot into bootloader
    4) apply the update
    5) enter recovery
    6) format all partitions except SD card
    7) reboot into recovery -- now you can flash the ROM

- A 512mb - 1.5gb EXT partition (EXT4 recommended) on your sdcard. Use this guide, and this guide only to create the partition. Partitions made using other tools (CWM, Minitool Partition Wizard, etc.) will likely cause issues.
    - The latest TWRP or 4EXT Recovery. Old versions of CWM may cause issues.
    - A somewhat decently functioning brain (optional)

2. Installation Steps:
    - Boot into recovery
    - Full wipe *
    - Flash ROM
    - Boot the ROM and let it settle down for 2-3 minutes
    - Enable A2SD from Terminal (Answer: Y/N/N) -> for details see below **
    - Go to Settings > Security > And turn on "Advanced Reboot Menu"
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash GApps
    - Reboot
    - Start Play Store to load setup for WiFi, Google account, etc.

* Full wipe includes system, data, cache, dalvik cache, .android_secure and sd-ext

** Enable A2SD
    - run Terminal Emulator
    - type 'su' and press enter
    - allow root access in the popup query
    - type 'a2sd install' and press enter
    - reply to questions in this order
    --> y n n (dalvik to card - yes, data to card - no, reboot - no)

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequent asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Disclaimer: SlimRoms and spezi77 are not responsible for any damages to your device.

Have a nice day! ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimKat, ROM for the HTC Desire

Contributors
    spezi77
    Source Code: https://github.com/SlimKatLegacy

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
    Based On: SlimRoms

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: r8
    Stable Release Date: 2017-07-23
    Current Beta Version: 1.0
    Beta Release Date: 2015-12-31

Created 2015-12-31
    Last Updated 2017-07-24
    Device related change-log and unofficial features added to this ROM:

Release 1 (2015/12/31)
    * Initial Release
    * Add Lockscreen Notifications

Release 2 (2016/01/09)
    * LockscreenTargets: Fix FC when entering Settings > Personalization/Interface > Lockscreen > Slider Targets and Shortcuts > Slider Targets

Release 3 (2016/04/08)
    * Use latest busybox from CM-11
    * BT tethering fix (mirabilos) - untested (please let me know if it works)
    * Update CPU governor tunables for performance (kuskro)
    * Add all available android security patches for 4.4.4 until 1st of March 2016

Release 4 (2016/07/16)
    * Fix FC in Development Settings (thanks ze7zez for testing)
    * Add android security updates until 1st of June 2016

Release 5 (2016/12/03)
    * Update kernel to stay in sync with ls-kitkat:
    ** lower max. cpu freq to 998400 MHz.
    ** ioscheduler to "cfq"
    ** default CPU gov to SMARTASS2
    ** add security patches from October bulletin board 2016
    * Fix a strange FC in Development/Security Settings (my fault :p) --> Advanced reboot can be found under Security Settings (where it actually belongs)
    * Fix camera
    * Replaced DashClock with CM's cLock widget (when adding a widget a FC occurred)
    * Fix graphic glitches (black regions)
    * Add android security updates until 1st of November
    * Compiled the ROM with -O3 flag for increased performance

Release 6 (2016/12/04)
    * Hotspot/WiFi tethering fix
    * Fixed issue with mounting sd-ext which resulted in applications disappearing

Release 7 (2016/12/06)
    * Disable atlas service at start-up to save memory
    * Align values under Display > DPI settings to be more regular: 140..260
    * Fixed FC in Gallery2 app (while editing images) and merged many more stability improvements from CAF
    * Fixed a crash in KeyguardWidgets (still had a reference to DashClock)
    * Slim down the ROM size (e.g. LockClock 8.6MB -> 1.6MB)

Release 8 (2017/07/23)
    * Android Security Update: 2017-07-01
    * Kernel compiled with Linaro GCC 4.9.4

Big thanks to Andreas Blaesius aka andi34 for keeping Android 4.4.4 up with the latest security updates. Security sources: https://github.com/android-security/

Not working
    * Trackball wake hack (you can use instead "home key" to wake up phone)
    Hey Desire owners!
    I have been successful this weekend in patching SlimKat up to the security level of 2017-07-01 !!!

Enjoy release 8,
    and have a nice day!
    :cool:
    Happy New Year!
    Hey folks,
    You should expect the unexpected. Stay tuned.. ;)