[ROM][2017-10-22][UNOFFICIAL] XenonHD ROM for Mix 2 (Chiron) [7.1.2]

Search This thread

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
XenonHD ROM for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
A Team Horizon ROM
Based on AOSP r36 7.1.2

This ROM has all the features XenonHD has to offer.
All hardware functions including:
NFC
Bluetooth Audio
Fingerprint Scanner
Doze & Wake-up Gestures (dtw works after the first reboot)
And...many more things.

Magisk is no longer built in, so you'll need to flash it when first installing, and after every dirty flash.

VoLTE doesn't work (at least on T-Mobile). I believe most of the pieces are in place, but there may be something in the firmware that's preventing it? If I could figure out how to tap into the stock cust files, I might be able to figure out how to get it working.

Proximity Sensor is working:

Notification Light:
I have slowed down the notification light so it isn't all amped up. To make it completely usable, go to:
Fixed default notification blinks for built-in apps so they are slowed down without needing to go to settings.
For use-installed apps, add them to custom notification list in settings > notifications > gear icon > notification light > + in upper right corner > select app. Apps added to that list will have slow notification blinks.
I simply cannot find a way to make user-installed app notifications behave the same as built-in apps. Grrr!!

I have also made the light sensor wait longer before dimming the screen. This helps with left-handed activities blocking the light sensor and almost immediately dimming the screen.
Reduced time to go back from dim to bright. Screen will dim after 5 seconds, returns to bright after 2 seconds.

I've remove configpanel & pocketmode...they did little to nothing, and may have caused more battery drain than I care for.

Required prior to installing:
Unlock Bootloader
Install custom recovery: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=962021903579490303
HUGE thanks to IceMan for bringing this to Mix 2!
A quirk with this TWRP: This one looks for backups in TWRP/BACKUPS/MIX_2 folder. Normally, the MIX_2 folder is named after serial number of your device.
So, you existing backups won't be found until you rename the folder in BACKUPS to MIX_2.

Installation Instructions:
Dirty flash is now available with the above TWRP and 10-26-2017 rom.

Download the most recent build: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329071426

Download Gapps (I use Open Gapps Mini) --> http://opengapps.org/

All versions from 10-24-2017 are now encryptable.

From TWRP Recovery:
IF COMING FROM MIUI-BASED ROM: FULL WIPE AND FORMAT DATA!!
If you encounter ERROR 7, during XenonHD install, install Global MIUI ROM, then do full wipe and data format again, then install XenonHD rom.

If coming from AOSP-based ROM:
- Full wipe (Cache, Davlik/ART Cache, System & Data)
- Flash ROM zip
- Flash Gapps zip

Huge thanks to Mokee for bringing this device up and making a great place to start.
Also a very HUGE thanks to @Arasthel for his work on proximity sensor and figuring out the bluetooth reboot stuff and other hints, suggestions and incalculable work.

I'd also like to thank all of you folks here for trying this ROM and providing constructive feedback.
In addition, I appreciate your patience when issues come up that need to be fixed. I am not a developer, and I have a full time job and a wife that takes precedence most of the time :)

Sources:
Vendor:
https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_vendor_xiaomi_msm8998-common
https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_vendor_xiaomi_chiron/tree/xenonhd

Kernel:
https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_kernel_xiaomi_msm8998/tree/xenonhd

Device:
https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_device_xiaomi_chiron/tree/xenonhd
https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_device_xiaomi_msm8998-common/tree/xenonhd

Last edited:

KOLIOSIS

Jan 17, 2011
THX for the ROM @hondajohn88 ,very much appreciated. :good:

Is this 1st release identical to the beta?
Just curious,as I tried to dirty flash over the beta & got the same errors as if coming from another ROM (wouldn't flash).
Is a full wipe (less formatting data) necessary if updating ?
I don't mind setting up from new again,even if just updating from the beta build.
However,wondering if incremental updates are going to be an option on future builds.

THX.

Sent from my MI Mix 2 using XDA Labs

Last edited:

subashchandran

Feb 15, 2011
Seattle
Bluetooth seems to be working fine for audio/calls. Need to try video/youtube audio output on car (will do it on the drive back home)
ROM is slick, its been good so far (2 hours since i have set everything up)

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
THX for the ROM @hondajohn88 ,very much appreciated. :good:

Is this 1st release identical to the beta?
Just curious,as I tried to dirty flash over the beta & got the same errors as if coming from another ROM (wouldn't flash).
Is a full wipe (less formatting data) necessary if updating ?
I don't mind setting up from new again,even if just updating from the beta build.
However,wondering if incremental updates are going to be an option on future builds.

THX.

Sent from my MI Mix 2 using XDA Labs

Oh yeah...I need to add that to the OP, for some reason, dirty flash won't work. There's a couple weird things with this build, one is I can't make a dirty build or it breaks Wi-Fi, and can't dirty flash. I don't know the reasons, but if I figure it out, I'll be sure to let everyone here know. It's an extreme pain in the ass.

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
Bluetooth seems to be working fine for audio/calls. Need to try video/youtube audio output on car (will do it on the drive back home)
ROM is slick, its been good so far (2 hours since i have set everything up)

Glad everything is working for you so far. Bluetooth audio in car should work (it does on mine), but I found the volume on the car set to zero so needed to turn that up. That was a brief "oh crap" moment that I thought it wasn't working lol

KOLIOSIS

Jan 17, 2011
Oh yeah...I need to add that to the OP, for some reason, dirty flash won't work. There's a couple weird things with this build, one is I can't make a dirty build or it breaks Wi-Fi, and can't dirty flash. I don't know the reasons, but if I figure it out, I'll be sure to let everyone here know. It's an extreme pain in the ass.

IT'S ALL GOOD @hondajohn88 . :good:
This ROM is daily-driver material,every update from here on out is a bonus & very much appreciated. :good:

Arasthel

Dec 30, 2009

It seems that we both have faced this issue. I just got A2DP working yesterday on Resurrection Remix by using sagit as base - without msm-8998 common and all that -, imagine my surprise when I saw you also did :D.

Anyway, I think the WiFi bug may be related to something going wrong in the build. When you build the ROM, kernel sources are used and you can see that the wlan.ko module is built. The problem is, wlan.ko is also a binary blob found in vendor. I believe that on the 2nd build, if dirty, one of these modules overwrites the other - which worked. Maybe you can test this idea, I will be doing it too on the next days.

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
It seems that we both have faced this issue. I just got A2DP working yesterday on Resurrection Remix by using sagit as base - without msm-8998 common and all that -, imagine my surprise when I saw you also did :D.

Anyway, I think the WiFi bug may be related to something going wrong in the build. When you build the ROM, kernel sources are used and you can see that the wlan.ko module is built. The problem is, wlan.ko is also a binary blob found in vendor. I believe that on the 2nd build, if dirty, one of these modules overwrites the other - which worked. Maybe you can test this idea, I will be doing it too on the next days.

That's cool you got the Bluetooth working on RR, knocking little things out one by one ?
Thanks for the idea on the Wi-Fi, I'll look into that this evening. Maybe there's a file I can delete before dirtybuilding. That would make testing things a lot faster! ??

By the way, does android auto work on your rr?

subashchandran

Feb 15, 2011
Seattle
Everything except proximity sensor works and works as good as stock. I have installed custom font, black swift substratum OMS theme without any hiccups. The rom is buttery smooth and I've been getting a better battery drain trend on this compared to resurrection/mokee. I have naptime doze installed to see if i can ooze out more battery goodness to the levels of epic Rom(miui 9)

Overall this is super encouraging to see a daily driver rom this early for mi mix 2.

There is one edge case which might be a bug, when connected on car Bluetooth and watching something on YouTube.. And then you get a call, i pressed answer on the car knobs/buttons.. I couldn't hear the person talking.. Car was displaying "audio disabled message ”. But talking/call and video/music in isolation works just fine.

slyyke

Jul 14, 2014

Android auto works for me. I'm on RR now. Might come to this if we can get Android auto working. How did you guys fix your Bluetooth audio on RR (we can move this to the RR thread if you prefer) @Arasthel

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
Android auto works for me. I'm on RR now. Might come to this if we can get Android auto working. How did you guys fix your Bluetooth audio on RR (we can move this to the RR thread if you prefer) @Arasthel

Thanks for the info about android auto on RR. I'll take a look at their repo and see if I messed up a USB setting somehow.
As far as I'm concerned, other ROMs can be discussed here.
Open source should be crowd sourced for maximum problem resolution.
RR probably (?) Did the same as me... Mokee made a commit in qcom/audio that did the trick.

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
That's cool you got the Bluetooth working on RR, knocking little things out one by one
Thanks for the idea on the Wi-Fi, I'll look into that this evening. Maybe there's a file I can delete before dirtybuilding. That would make testing things a lot faster! ?

By the way, does android auto work on your rr?

Hi... Thank you again for the wlan.ko tip. I deleted all instances of that in my out folder, dirty built and it's all good. Sped up my test time considerably! Woohoo! :good::D

Reactions: Arasthel

stu5797

Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks op for adding this to to the mix. Much appreciated. I am not sure if I can leave Resurrection due to all the customization options. Does this room offer as many customization options? Thanks so much!

hondajohn88

Jul 30, 2013
Upland
Thanks op for adding this to to the mix. Much appreciated. I am not sure if I can leave Resurrection due to all the customization options. Does this room offer as many customization options? Thanks so much!

I haven't used rr for this phone, but I think at this point rr probably has more options. This one has quite a few, and as son as I get most of this ROM straightened out, I'll try adding more options.
I'll add some screen shots of the settings to help people decide.

Thanks ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XenonHD ROM for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
    A Team Horizon ROM
    Based on AOSP r36 7.1.2

This ROM has all the features XenonHD has to offer.
    All hardware functions including:
    NFC
    Bluetooth Audio
    Fingerprint Scanner
    Doze & Wake-up Gestures (dtw works after the first reboot)
    And...many more things.

Magisk is no longer built in, so you'll need to flash it when first installing, and after every dirty flash.

VoLTE doesn't work (at least on T-Mobile). I believe most of the pieces are in place, but there may be something in the firmware that's preventing it? If I could figure out how to tap into the stock cust files, I might be able to figure out how to get it working.

Proximity Sensor is working:

Notification Light:
    I have slowed down the notification light so it isn't all amped up. To make it completely usable, go to:
    Fixed default notification blinks for built-in apps so they are slowed down without needing to go to settings.
    For use-installed apps, add them to custom notification list in settings > notifications > gear icon > notification light > + in upper right corner > select app. Apps added to that list will have slow notification blinks.
    I simply cannot find a way to make user-installed app notifications behave the same as built-in apps. Grrr!!

I have also made the light sensor wait longer before dimming the screen. This helps with left-handed activities blocking the light sensor and almost immediately dimming the screen.
    Reduced time to go back from dim to bright. Screen will dim after 5 seconds, returns to bright after 2 seconds.

I've remove configpanel & pocketmode...they did little to nothing, and may have caused more battery drain than I care for.

Required prior to installing:
    Unlock Bootloader
    Install custom recovery: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=962021903579490303
    HUGE thanks to IceMan for bringing this to Mix 2!
    A quirk with this TWRP: This one looks for backups in TWRP/BACKUPS/MIX_2 folder. Normally, the MIX_2 folder is named after serial number of your device.
    So, you existing backups won't be found until you rename the folder in BACKUPS to MIX_2.

Installation Instructions:
    Dirty flash is now available with the above TWRP and 10-26-2017 rom.

Download the most recent build: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329071426

Download Gapps (I use Open Gapps Mini) --> http://opengapps.org/

All versions from 10-24-2017 are now encryptable.

From TWRP Recovery:
    IF COMING FROM MIUI-BASED ROM: FULL WIPE AND FORMAT DATA!!
    If you encounter ERROR 7, during XenonHD install, install Global MIUI ROM, then do full wipe and data format again, then install XenonHD rom.

If coming from AOSP-based ROM:
    - Full wipe (Cache, Davlik/ART Cache, System & Data)
    - Flash ROM zip
    - Flash Gapps zip

Huge thanks to Mokee for bringing this device up and making a great place to start.
    Also a very HUGE thanks to @Arasthel for his work on proximity sensor and figuring out the bluetooth reboot stuff and other hints, suggestions and incalculable work.

I'd also like to thank all of you folks here for trying this ROM and providing constructive feedback.
    In addition, I appreciate your patience when issues come up that need to be fixed. I am not a developer, and I have a full time job and a wife that takes precedence most of the time :)

Sources:
    Vendor:
    https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_vendor_xiaomi_msm8998-common
    https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_vendor_xiaomi_chiron/tree/xenonhd

Kernel:
    https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_kernel_xiaomi_msm8998/tree/xenonhd

Device:
    https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_device_xiaomi_chiron/tree/xenonhd
    https://github.com/hondajohn88/android_device_xiaomi_msm8998-common/tree/xenonhd
    I need to update the op, but I'll be out of town for the next few days, so no time to do that at the moment.
    Working proximity & Bluetooth audio, maybe some Bluetooth sharing issues, but those might be resolved once I get back into town.
    HUGE thanks to @Arasthel for his work on proximity sensor, please thank him!

XenonHD: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329068448
    AOKP: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617953842
    What you and other developers have managed to do without kernel source is pretty impressive and there are many who appreciate all the effort (myself Included). What was released a few weeks ago, was that not full kernel source?

The mi6 has a decent enough selection of near perfect ROMs since source has been released so I'm hoping once they are released for this it will be similar. The one thing I'm hoping will improve when this happens is battery life, I get around 2 hours more when in time using miui than stock atm. Is a big difference.

Thank you for the kind compliments. The kernel source released was specifically for sagit (mi 6?) But included some new commits for Chiron. Unfortunately not 100%, but getting there.
    On the good news front, I finally got my builds with working proximity sensor. I have an AOKP build working now & and an currently building XenonHD and will test that later this afternoon.
    Both ROMs should be posted later this afternoon, then I can start looking at volte & WiFi calling.

Thanks again ?
    It's really ennoying seeing all those comments about getting rid of the MIX 2 because of roms bugs, dev support, etc.
    Honestly this is dev threads and feelings or moods have nothing to do here.
    Even if it's understandable, it's just about personal appreciation and really doesn't motivate devs to go further in their work. Neither for potential buyers to increase our community.

In my opinion, it's a device that got pretty stable roms really quick. For my personal use, bugs reported are not an issue and future sources will allow to fix them all. It's not like being stuck with a HUAWEI phone and forced to use EMUI or variants.

I encourage devs here to continue their hard work because they have to know that even if their not plenty of a "YEAH" posts everyday, I'm sure many followers here are patiently and gratefully waiting for updates.

Keep it up guys !

Envoyé de mon MIX 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
    I can partial agree with you ..mix 2 is a great phone but development sucks.....
    Look at OP5T ..
    Just released and they are 4 custom kernels & first Oreo ROMs already dropped...!!....
    I would really love to buy this phone but when I'm visiting this forum getting disappointed....

The biggest issues we have to get past is volte/WiFi calling, and for my builds also proximity sensor. @Arasthel has been able to build xenonhd & RR with working proximity sensor, so things are getting better for this phone. Xiaomi has not released the official kernel source yet, so that may be part of the problem.
    I've built an AOKP rom as well, but same non-functioning items as my xenonhd. Both are very stable builds, but without working proximity sensor, I don't really want to release any new roms or updates.
    I wish things would progress faster, but at the moment it's pretty frustrating for me. Hopefully something positive will happen soon.
    I do thank all of you for your encouragement, and I also understand your disappointment. :good:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone