[ROM][3.4 Kernel][4.4.4] Unofficial SlimKat 9.1 (pyramid)

My favorite balanced (performance/battery) CPU governor is

• badass

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • conservative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hyper

• intellidemand

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • interactive

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • lionheart

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • ondemand

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • performance

• powersave

• smartmax

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • userspace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Sensational_

Oct 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi, same reboot problem with my senny. I'm struggling to edit and save the init.d 89kernel file. Please could someone advise how best to do this?
Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925K using XDA Free mobile app

LordNerevar

Feb 21, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Hi, same reboot problem with my senny. I'm struggling to edit and save the init.d 89kernel file. Please could someone advise how best to do this?
Many thanks.
If you don't mind, I'd like for you to try out a test build and see if it's any better. It has some changes to the in-kernel thermal code which was implemented a few months ago. I've just recently learned that code was linked to reboots in ivanich's CM ROM. Unfortunately, it only affects certain devices and mine is not one of them. Let me know and I'll upload a test build. Thanks!

kyler084

Jun 14, 2011
Hampshire
Hi there @ LordNerevar , loving the rom , only stable rom i have found for my sensation :), many thanks. Please can you tell me if the latest build supports /data/media on sd-ext ? or is that only the much older test build that you released ? thanks

edit- if so is there any way of making the latest version use /data/media on the sd-ext as primary storage ?

Reactions: LordNerevar

LordNerevar

Feb 21, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Hi there @ LordNerevar , loving the rom , only stable rom i have found for my sensation :), many thanks. Please can you tell me if the latest build supports /data/media on sd-ext ? or is that only the much older test build that you released ? thanks
Glad to hear it's working for you! I actually planned on releasing another /data/media version, but I'm running into problems with TWRP. As soon as I get those ironed out, I'll upload another test build for everyone to try.

Reactions: kyler084

Nasling6

Nov 8, 2015
I have used your test build since sunday and the shutdowns are gone.
I also used the Turbo Data Mod by delta-roh and it works as far as I can tell.
The only problem is, that sometimes the phone switches off instead of restarting.
Thanks for your work, the rom is a lot of fun. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LordNerevar

LordNerevar

Feb 21, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Here's another /data/media testing version. I've changed the partition layout, so it requires my -r2 recovery (system is moved to the now unused internal data partition and cache is moved to the system partition). This recovery should also make it much easier to create a large data (sd-ext) partition. Be sure to remove any TWRP theme you have installed as it will overwrite my default theme which allows for an F2FS partition as well as increasing the size of the steps while partitioning the sdcard so that you don't have to hit + a million times to get a 30GB sd-ext partition. :)

The only known bug is that sometimes power off and reboot get reversed (meaning a power off can sometimes reboot and a reboot can sometimes power off). I'm pretty sure that is a kernel issue, but I haven't had time to track it down.

Let me know if you find any other bugs.

TWRP-2.8.7.0-pyramid-f2fs-datamedia-r2.img
Slim-pyramid-4.4.4.build.9.1-UNOFFICIAL-20160211-0903.zip

Cheers!

cheater42

Dec 31, 2013
Xposed Framework doesn't work on the latest build (9.1) for me :( On the build which was released before (still SlimKat 9.0), it worked fine!
The German lines on the screen shot translate as "Xposed Framework is not compatible with your Android SDK version 19 or your processor architecture (armeabi-7a) (yet).

Gesendet von meinem Sensation mit Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1455360501505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1455360501505.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

kyler084

Jun 14, 2011
Hampshire
having real issues, flashed your new recovery for data media, cannot copy the rom to the phone to install, when i try copy files to sdcard in recovery phone freezes and reboots half way through, any help would be appreciated, getting close to putting this phone in the trash .

LordNerevar

Feb 21, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Xposed Framework doesn't work on the latest build (9.1) for me :( On the build which was released before (still SlimKat 9.0), it worked fine!
The German lines on the screen shot translate as "Xposed Framework is not compatible with your Android SDK version 19 or your processor architecture (armeabi-7a) (yet).
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64327688&postcount=41

having real issues, flashed your new recovery for data media, cannot copy the rom to the phone to install, when i try copy files to sdcard in recovery phone freezes and reboots half way through, any help would be appreciated, getting close to putting this phone in the trash .
Assuming you're copying to "Internal storage", what SD-EXT size did you use? I recommend an SD-EXT size of 12GB or more and a SWAP size of 256MB. Also, you might try rebooting to recovery immediately after re-partitioning.

Edit: Make sure there are no issues with the cache partition as well as that can do bad things with recovery. If none of that helps, you can always examine the recovery log by doing "adb pull /tmp/recovery.log" from your PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheater42

Sensational_

Oct 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi, I'm struggling to get the test rom installed. I managed to flash your updated twrp but then got mount errors when trying to install the test rom from the sdcard. Please could you take me through it step by step. Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925K using XDA Free mobile app

LordNerevar

Feb 21, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Please could you take me through it step by step. Many thanks.
Here's how I'd do it (with reboots for first time possible problems):
  1. fastboot flash recovery <recovery.img>
  2. reboot to recovery
  3. Wipe->Advanced Wipe
  4. Select Cache
  5. Swipe to Wipe
  6. Back to main screen
  7. Reboot->Recovery
  8. Advanced->Partition SD Card
  9. Increment EXT Size to your desired size
  10. Increment Swap Size to your desired size
  11. Choose F2FS for the file system
  12. Read the disclaimer about losing all of the data on your sdcard
  13. Re-read disclaimer :)
  14. Swipe to Partition
  15. Back to main screen
  16. Reboot->Recovery
  17. Install as usual

Reactions: ze7zez

vtas

Sep 25, 2009
Cherkasy
hi, many thanks for this great rom! everything works like a charm!
default dpi of 200 is not suitable for my eyes and i changed it to 240 (build.prop). now all looks much more readable except one specific app that i have to use for my job. it is still looks like 200 dpi. even AppSettings Xposed module has no effect on it. while in ivanich's cm1X roms with default dpi of 240 this app looks like it should.
how can i manage this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    slim_op_v05.jpg

Disclaimer: SlimRoms and I are not responsible for any damages to your device.

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems. The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code. All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4.

Original Features
    • The Real Dark Slim
      Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
    • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
      Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
    • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
      Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
    • SlimCenter
      Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
    • Camera Features
      Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Unofficial Features
    • O2 Optimized Kernel
    • LibRIL updates
    • Added FIOPS/SIO/VR/Zen IO Schedulers
    • Added Badass/Hyper/Intellidemand/Lionheart/Smartmax Governors
    • Latest mpdecision from showp1984 hammerhead branch
    • Auto-brightness tweaks (more steps/dimmer in general)
    • init.d kernel settings script (one less app to install)
    • Other minor changes

Important links
    • Official Site - The official webpage where you can find the official download and everything you need to know about SlimRoms.
    • My Github - Source to the stuff I've changed.

Installation Instructions
    • Download, install and configure ivanich's 2.8.7.0 TWRP recovery from here.
    • Download and install the unofficial ROM through recovery from here.
    • Download and install the latest of my GApps packages from here.
    • Download and install the TWRP version of my odex package if desired from here. This essentially puts the dalvik-cache of system apps in /system which saves you some space in /data and also speeds up initial boot.

General Q/A
    • Q: Why SlimKat?
      A: It is a great ROM and is very well suited for older devices.
    • Q: Why another SlimKat thread?
      A: This is my own build with parts from various kernels that I feel are beneficial to pyramid users. It most likely won't be as stable as the official builds and therefore needs a separate thread.
    • Q: You just said it most likely won't be as stable. Does that mean it's buggy?
      A: I will not release a build that doesn't work for me. The sensation is my only device and this build will always be my daily driver.
    • Q: Why not work with dexter93 to make the official build better?
      A: That is my intention. We will all benefit from your support and testing. Let us know what works and what doesn't. Then it can be pulled into the official branch.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • How do I enable root access?
      System settings -> Developer options -> Root access
      First set to Disabled (if not already) and then set to Apps only or Apps and ADB.
    • How do I change resolution/dpi/density?
      Manual: With root explorer, edit /system/build.prop and change ro.sf.lcd_density=182 to ro.sf.lcd_density=240 and reboot.
      App: Download Texdroider DPI from play store to change 182 to 240 and reboot. You can then uninstall the app.
    • How do I change CPU min/max speed, governors and IO schedulers?
      Manual: With root explorer, edit /etc/init.d/89kernel init script (setting options are in the script).
      App: Download Kernel Tuner from play store.
    • How do I submit a bugreport?
      See the Slim website instructions here. Attach the report in this thread.
    • What firmware/radio should I use with this ROM?
      For TMOUS try: 3.32.531.14 which comes with radio 11.69A.3504.00U_11.23.3504.07_M2
      For non-TMOUS try 3.32/3.33 firmware and corresponding radios from: firmware and radios

Tips/Tricks
    • If you use google apps, install the biggest package that you need. You want to do this because those google apps will be installed into /system. I've seen many users talk about wanting the smallest gapps they can have and then downloading just what they need from the play store. This is not a good approach for our Sensation because we have a very large /system partition and a very small /data partition (by today's standards). So, a better approach would be to get the *full* gapps package and either remove the apps that you don't need or disable them.
    • Odex your /system apps. This will free up quite a lot of space in the /data/dalvik-cache folder which again will give you more room for apps. There are many odex scripts available on XDA to choose from and probably even some apps in the play store. You can also try out my flashable zip here (md5sum: 04320206ec11669b2da2f5340bb647f2). Flash it after flashing GApps.

Known Bugs
    • Battery calibration issue on first boot causes charging to stop at 90%. Charging is normal after reboot. (Appears fixed now)
    • It has been reported that some bluetooth devices will fail to connect.
    • It has been reported that some VOIP apps will not work (Line/Skype).
    • It has been reported that call recording apps will not work.

Thanks
    • dexter93 - The guru who gave us SlimKat on the pyramid.
    • bruce2728 - 3.0 Kernel master
    • showp1984 - 3.0 Kernel master
    • SebastianFM - 3.0/3.4 Kernel master
    • sultanxda - 3.0/3.4 Kernel master
    • ivanich - 3.4 Kernel master
    • All other devs who have made the Sensation a fantastic device for over 3 years!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial SlimKat (pyramid), ROM for the HTC Sensation

Contributors
    LordNerevar
    Source Code: https://github.com/LordNerevar

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 3.32/3.33
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2014-09-27
    Last Updated 2016-01-12
    Updates

Slim-pyramid-4.4.4.build.9.1-UNOFFICIAL-20160110-1414.zip
    md5sum: 64a42295ee176c261b90468167c194a9
    • Updated to SlimKat 9.1
    • Updates to Bluetooth
    • Allow for F2FS on /system
    • Trying graphite compile optimization switch
    • User (instead of userdebug) build to save space in /data
    • Incorporation of Google's security bulletin patches through January 2016.
    Older Releases:

I've updated the ROM with a couple of minor fixes. I've also added the GApps packages to the second post and updated them. I'm trying to make this ROM as stable as possible so if you find any repeatable bugs, please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers!
    Update 8.20 is available. This update brings a shiny new kernel (3.4.105). Taking from liquidsmooth, I've also optimized the LDFLAGS somewhat. This should make the ROM a bit smoother but as always, you tell me. Finally, @gc2712 got his request in just under the wire and I've fixed the lockscreen target selection.

Abbreviated changelog in the second post and full changes on github.

Cheers!
    New 8.8 build is up. This build gets us closer to an up-to-date kernel at 3.4.94. As discussed earlier, smartmax gets promoted to being the default governor. Great performance and better battery-life. What's not to like? I also made sure that Dexter93's optimized dalvik-cache settings were getting applied properly which seems to have sped things up a bit.

There's been a lot of bluetooth updates from upstream with 8.8, so if you've tried Slim in the past and had bluetooth issues you may want to try either the official build or this unofficial one again. I only have one bluetooth device so I can't really say much but my bluetooth headset seems to be working fine (calls/music/streaming).

Cheers!