• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][4.2.2] Chameleon OS [OFFICIAL][&Nightlies]

Search This thread

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego

opheader.gif

Code:
Disclaimer: Chameleon OS is currently in beta. While it runs very well,
there may be things that are not completely functional. The development team is
not responsible for any damage to your device or your information.
opfeatures.gif

Launcher Features

· Folder icon styles: stacked, grid, or carousel
· Folder sorting: alphabetically, reverse alphabetically, or by usage
· Icon scaling in app drawer and on homescreen
· Home screen previews, rearrangable homescreens
· Set default screen from previews layout
· Add or remove homescreens from previews layout
· Slide homescreens with a second finger while holding widgets and icons
· Gestures: Pinch to show previews, spread to show launcher settings

Theme Manager

· Based on MIUI's theme engine
· Mix and match different themes on the fly
· Theme options: Icons, Status Bar, Boot animation, Font (requires reboot), Messaging, Framework, and Ringtones
· Applies native ctz files, but also will apply MIUI mtz files, not all elements will theme properly with mtz packages
· Animated boot animation preview
· Boot animation resolution scaling

Status Bar

· Customizable toggles, compact or page view (or off)
· Extended volume panel in page view toggles
· Access status or navigation bars while in fullscreen apps by touching the edge of the screen

Messaging

· Reads custom notification tones from Contacts
· Revised layout: Added messaging bubbles, removed avatar icons from conversation and put one in the action bar, quick shortcut for emojis

Security

· Manage installed apps' permissions
...and more!

opscreenshots.gif

opscreens.png

More screenshots available on our website
opdownloads.gif

You can get to all of our available ROMs by heading
over to our ChameleonOS Downloads page.
Also make sure to flash the latest 4.2.2 gapps

--

Check out our homepage at ChameleonOS.org and our forums
-
Bug Tracker | Gerrit Review | GitHub

Code:
We would like to thank CyanogenMod for giving us an easy foundation to develop
ChaOS for mutiple devices

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego
Although I don't own either variant of the N7, I am heading the project as the lead developer and we are officially supporting this device at this time so I wanted to provide you guys with an official post which you all can use to talk about the ROM on the Nexus 7.

I may not be frequenting this thread as much as others but I can always be reached via PM if there is something urgent you need or you can hit me up at http://forums.chameleonos.org/

Thanks and enjoy!

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
it appears to be based off MIUI. they're homepage says the entire framework of ChaOS has been modified around the theme engine, which is MIUI's. what does this offer that MIUI doesn't?

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
I've been using this rom for a few days and it is smooth and fast. Have not noticed any bugs. Really like it. The Angl theme is gorgeous!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Sep 4, 2012
Downloading, an open-source MIUI-like ROM! Awesome! Hope this project will be more and more developing!
P/S: Get back to stock, the icon is in very low dpi! Other features is great, very smooth ROM!

Last edited:

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
Sorry, but this is just a vanilla cm with a few MiUi themes thrown in. And after running full MiUi for a while, doesn't seem to have a lot of themes available. This ROM is going to get better and I will probably revisit after a bit.

Doesn't allow for a lot of customization.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Shmi117

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Xiaomi Poco F3
Sorry, but this is just a vanilla cm with a few MiUi themes thrown in. And after running full MiUi for a while, doesn't seem to have a lot of themes available. This ROM is going to get better and I will probably revisit after a bit.

Doesn't allow for a lot of customization.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The point of this is to fuse both MIUI and CM together. The point isn't mainly customization but the CM UI coupled with an MIUI theme engine. Over time it will get better as you said but this ROM is of its own kind.

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
The point of this is to fuse both MIUI and CM together. The point isn't mainly customization but the CM UI coupled with an MIUI theme engine. Over time it will get better as you said but this ROM is of its own kind.

Normally, the purpose of a hybrid ROM is to give you the best features of each of the ROMs used. This ROM does not do that......yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

opheader.gif

Code:
    Disclaimer: Chameleon OS is currently in beta. While it runs very well,
    there may be things that are not completely functional. The development team is
    not responsible for any damage to your device or your information.
    opfeatures.gif

Launcher Features

· Folder icon styles: stacked, grid, or carousel
    · Folder sorting: alphabetically, reverse alphabetically, or by usage
    · Icon scaling in app drawer and on homescreen
    · Home screen previews, rearrangable homescreens
    · Set default screen from previews layout
    · Add or remove homescreens from previews layout
    · Slide homescreens with a second finger while holding widgets and icons
    · Gestures: Pinch to show previews, spread to show launcher settings

Theme Manager

· Based on MIUI's theme engine
    · Mix and match different themes on the fly
    · Theme options: Icons, Status Bar, Boot animation, Font (requires reboot), Messaging, Framework, and Ringtones
    · Applies native ctz files, but also will apply MIUI mtz files, not all elements will theme properly with mtz packages
    · Animated boot animation preview
    · Boot animation resolution scaling

Status Bar

· Customizable toggles, compact or page view (or off)
    · Extended volume panel in page view toggles
    · Access status or navigation bars while in fullscreen apps by touching the edge of the screen

Messaging

· Reads custom notification tones from Contacts
    · Revised layout: Added messaging bubbles, removed avatar icons from conversation and put one in the action bar, quick shortcut for emojis

Security

· Manage installed apps' permissions
    ...and more!

opscreenshots.gif

opscreens.png

More screenshots available on our website
    opdownloads.gif

You can get to all of our available ROMs by heading
    over to our ChameleonOS Downloads page.
    Also make sure to flash the latest 4.2.2 gapps

--

Check out our homepage at ChameleonOS.org and our forums
    -
    Bug Tracker | Gerrit Review | GitHub

Code:
    We would like to thank CyanogenMod for giving us an easy foundation to develop
    ChaOS for mutiple devices

Although I don't own either variant of the N7, I am heading the project as the lead developer and we are officially supporting this device at this time so I wanted to provide you guys with an official post which you all can use to talk about the ROM on the Nexus 7.

I may not be frequenting this thread as much as others but I can always be reached via PM if there is something urgent you need or you can hit me up at http://forums.chameleonos.org/

Thanks and enjoy!
    Hi fellow groupers,

Sorry been so long w/o an update. One of our developers (wizardofos) just picked one up and made a 4.3 build. Probably will get added back into the official nightly in the near future, but until then, here is the build

ROM - http://goo.im/devs/wizard0f0s/ChaOS/grouper/cos-0.8_4.3-20131002-UNOFFICIAL-grouper.zip
    gapps - http://goo.im/devs/ChameleonOS/gapps/gapps-jb43-20130826-chaos.zip

I flashed yesterday and haven't had any issues. Granted, I don't get to use it a lot because my 5 y/o tends to dominate it, but he hasn't complained either :p
    No, it's got expanded desktop and you can install tablet UI using Tabletizer. I did it and it works great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    It is a pity this ROM gets little attention. One of its strongest features is a built-in permissions manager (yes, that thing that allows you to control every app's permissions, regaining your privacy like with openPDroid!), but of course it has many other great features and reasons why I like it.

<rant mode on>
    We should take giving permissions regarding our privacy more seriously! There aren't enough good working solutions for this problem yet, the permissions manager included in this ROM is definitely a big step in the right direction!
    <rant mode off>

It has some of the CM stuff under the bonnet, but also the @ppbar like in Paranoid. I can't help but loving the green look instead of the cold blue.

It agree that it still contains bugs, nuts and other allergens that might chase someone away, but it certainly worth keeping an eye out for or at least give it a try with a current nightly or wait for the next Beta 0.8.